Rowan University (RowanSOM) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I believe aacomas classifies Psyc as behavioral or social science which is different from natural science. I assume Rowan and other schools would follow suit and say that Psyc can't be used as any natural science including Lors. I used a Psyc letter for my nonscience letter as well.
Wow thanks for the quick reply! Would they consider anataom and physio 2 a science class?

Also are the 6 mathematics hours needed? ive taken calc 1 which was 5 hours but no comp sci or statistics? would this be enough?

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone know if Psychology is considered a science for ROWAN? For their LORS it states on their site that they need two science faculty letters and i would like to know if anyone used a LOR from a social science professor like psych or socio. They arent picking up the phone.

I believe aacomas classifies Psyc as behavioral or social science which is different from natural science. I assume Rowan and other schools would follow suit and say that Psyc can't be used as any natural science including Lors. I used a Psyc letter for my nonscience letter as well.

If I remember correctly, NBLogical is correct- that Psych LOR would not be characterized as a Science LOR. I would keep trying them to verify, but I'm pretty certain it would not satisfy the requirement.

Good luck!

-StaystrongDO

Reactions: 1 user
Accepted today! I interviewed last Friday, 1/8. I was tearing up in my car. Can't wait to meet everyone

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Accepted today interviewed mid December. Cant wait to meet everyone at accepted students day! Thank you RowanSOM!

Reactions: 1 users
I thought my interview went well. But this is God's decision. God is my witness.

Wooow. Is it me or Rowan OOS tuition is ridiculously high ??? Is whatever is on the website the right number ?? That's higher than the rate of most schools in the country.

Yeah, OOS tuition is pretty high- comes out to 64K for tuition and fees. Total COA if you are OOS is almost 90K and unfortunately if you are OOS when you start then you are considered OOS all 4 years. It used to be that you could change to IS after MS1 but they changed it when UMDNJ-SOM became Rowan.

IS doesn't save you much either, 42K for tuition and fees- really don't understand why NJ's IS schools cost so much.

Got refused so leaving this feed. Good luck to everyone.

Yeah, OOS tuition is pretty high- comes out to 64K for tuition and fees. Total COA if you are OOS is almost 90K and unfortunately if you are OOS when you start then you are considered OOS all 4 years. It used to be that you could change to IS after MS1 but they changed it when UMDNJ-SOM became Rowan.

IS doesn't save you much either, 42K for tuition and fees- really don't understand why NJ's IS schools cost so much.

Tuition is only $37k...even after health insurance, it goes to $42k? I haven't really read up on all the fees.

Members don't see this ad :)
Tuition is only $37k...even after health insurance, it goes to $42k? I haven't really read up on all the fees.

i got ~41k still not bad compared to CCOM though... 272k after 4 years an avg of ~68 per year. Thats also not including housing food transportation loan interest. Only tuition and mandatory fees. IF you are OOS/area. Perhaps they give scholarships though?

If you're international and you feel like you have a shot at this school because you had an interview. This is a big fat lie. You will not get in. Find something else to do with your life. I'm about to cut my veins to relieve some of the stress. **** them all.

Please go see some psychiatric help if you're going to be suicidal. I'm really concerned for you.

Reactions: 2 users
Well that escalated quickly.

In all seriousness @varens1 , here is the number to the national suicide prevention hotline: tel:+18002738255

Make the call, seek help, find peace.

If you're international and you feel like you have a shot at this school because you had an interview. This is a big fat lie. You will not get in. Find something else to do with your life. I'm about to cut my veins to relieve some of the stress. **** them all.

I didn't get into medical school the first time I applied. If you think you deserve it keep at it !

http://www.rowan.edu/som/financialaid/cost/documents/1516_SOM_COA.pdf

Tuition and fees for IS at RowanSOM was$41,883 for incoming MS1 for the 15-16 academic year. The tuition and fees for the 2016-2017 year will be set at some point this summer and we'll probably see ~2% increase. This will put IS tuition and fees at ~$42,720 and OOS at ~$65,700. Important note is that these figures don't include health insurance which for the student only was another $2150 + dental at $324 this past year.
http://www.firststudent.com/schools/RowanUniversitySchoolofOsteopathicMedicine/review_brochures.htm

So yeah, it's definitely more $ than you might think.

Last edited:
A post in this thread has been reported by several users due to the comment about self-harm. SDN takes such statements seriously and we would like to remind all posters that SDN should not serve as a place to obtain counseling or other advice regarding significant psychological issues. Anyone who is contemplating harming themselves should immediately seek professional counseling advice, not rely on SDN or other non-professional resources. Above all, we want all our members to remain safe.

One free resource available in the US is the National Suicide Prevention Hotline at 1-800-273-8255. Their website also lists local crisis centers.

I have sent a message to the poster.

Reactions: 5 users
has anyone who received an acceptance phone call on Jan 15 received the package in the mail yet?

has anyone who received an acceptance phone call on Jan 15 received the package in the mail yet?

It takes about 2-3 weeks after the call to receive the package, whether it is by e-mail or mail. At least that's what happened with me. They mailed me a letter of acceptance, but the package came by email.

For those who've interviewed, can you shed some light on what to expect? What's the interview day like? Any curveballs? What type of questions are they asking? I'm interviewing 2/4.

Also, since this is my first choice program, would it help my chances to communicate that to my interviewers?

For those who've interviewed, can you shed some light on what to expect? What's the interview day like? Any curveballs? What type of questions are they asking? I'm interviewing 2/4.

Also, since this is my first choice program, would it help my chances to communicate that to my interviewers?

No curveballs. Just generic questions like Why DO? Why Rowan? What kind of research do you do? Etc...

I would say that if it is your top choice program, make sure you stress that with your interviewers.

No II coming out of this thread for a while now....

Can anyone tell what the class size is ? I just submitted my primary i know it late in the cycle. Anyone else submit late and got in ?

Congratulations!

If you have any questions about life or the school or anything, please feel free to post or PM. Good luck, I can't say enough how awesome my experience at RowanSOM has been, especially seeing how respected RowanSOM is on the residency interview trail!

-StaystrongDO

Last edited:
Hi guys! I'm a second year at SOM currently so please feel free to message me with any questions or concerns. I really love it here! Good luck to those waiting to hear back and those waiting to interview!!

alright, I'm a bit nervous. they said we gonna hear something back today or next Friday. I was interviewed a few weeks ago. good luck to everyone. and congrats in advance to accepted students.

for people accepted off the weight list, did you send a letter of interest post interview or any updates at all besides mcat and gpa?
Nope, I didn't send any updates at all.

for people accepted off the weight list, did you send a letter of interest post interview or any updates at all besides mcat and gpa?

When I was waitlisted (2013), yea I submitted a letter of intent. It just stated what I have been doing for the last couple of months and I expressed my interest in RowanSOM.

Anyone (current students mainly) have any idea what the class schedule is like TODAY specifically? I'm in the area and want to stop by to show my face and express interest. I emailed that I'd be here and they said I should be able to go on a tour based on students' schedules but haven't heard back since.

Anyone (current students mainly) have any idea what the class schedule is like TODAY specifically? I'm in the area and want to stop by to show my face and express interest. I emailed that I'd be here and they said I should be able to go on a tour based on students' schedules but haven't heard back since.
Sorry it's a little late to be replying to this. Anytime just stop by the admissions office and they will make sure you're taken care of. Today in particular the 2nd years had an exam and the first years were around with class from 8-12

Sorry it's a little late to be replying to this. Anytime just stop by the admissions office and they will make sure you're taken care of. Today in particular the 2nd years had an exam and the first years were around with class from 8-12

I did stop by and loved it!! Great campus and students

Reactions: 2 users
Has anyone heard anything more about the class size expansion to 200 at Rowan? Is this increase beginning immediately with us (class of 2020) or will it be a slower expansion?

Attachments

• RowanSOM expansion to 200.pdf
    79.2 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:
Has anyone heard anything more about the class size expansion to 200 at Rowan? Is this increase beginning immediately with us (class of 2020) or will it be a slower expansion?
I think someone posted something about this earlier on this thread.
The additional 30-40 students will be added to PBL and not to the lecture portion.
Rowan has also acquired a new clinical partner in Atlantic City called Atlanticare which will be used to offset the need for more clinical education because of the class size increase.
I'm having a tough time understanding the justification of this class size increase because Seton Hill is starting their own medical school in North Jersey.

I got waitlisted :( the lady said my ratings are high and I might get in. but time to move on. next cycle is coming up

I got waitlisted :( the lady said my ratings are high and I might get in. but time to move on. next cycle is coming up

How long did it take for you to hear back after your interview?

Time to move on? Next cycle? Being waitlisted isn't a death sentence at RowanSOM just fyi. I was waitlisted and got in eventually. Keep that chin up and monitor your status. Good luck.

Time to move on? Next cycle? Being waitlisted isn't a death sentence at RowanSOM just fyi. I was waitlisted and got in eventually. Keep that chin up and monitor your status. Good luck.
seems you got the wrong idea. I'm not sad nor disappointed. it was expected for me( 503, gpa 3.7) lol i will continue sending them updates and Ill cry if they decide to take me hahahahh but i gotta look at the other side too. guys please don't be disencourged if you got waitlisted. they got good movements from what I heard. i didn't mean to give you this impression.

Last edited:
Just got an II today, does anyone know this late in the game they're doing interview for waitlist or do they still offer seats for the school?

Just got an II today, does anyone know this late in the game they're doing interview for waitlist or do they still offer seats for the school?
Take this with a grain of salt, but there's only 74 of us in the accepted Facebook group right now of which maybe 10 are currently students and faculty.

Take this with a grain of salt, but there's only 74 of us in the accepted Facebook group right now of which maybe 10 are currently students and faculty.
So there's still seats open I assume. I didnt see too many acceptences posted saw some wait list. Haven't seen much movement in the interviews on the page. Can you comment on how the interview format is like and how it went?

So there's still seats open I assume. I didnt see too many acceptences posted saw some wait list. Haven't seen much movement in the interviews on the page. Can you comment on how the interview format is like and how it went?
Pretty typical interview - I say be yourself. Two interviewers at the same time. They ask you the fair game topics: why medicine, why Rowan SOM, why osteopathic medicine? It takes around 30 minutes. I had the afternoon interview session so we had a welcome video and tour of the school before the interviews.