Rowan University (RowanSOM) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Can any students comment on the 2016 match results?

I'm a 3rd year and word through the grapevine is that we did pretty well this year. From everyone that I talked to, nobody didn't match. I didn't hear of any crazy matches but it seems like everyone got what they wanted. On another interesting note, the AOA unfilled list came out and there were a lot of Anesthesiology still open.

Also, yeasureyoubetcha, I am loving that SG-1 photo on your profile.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a 3rd year and word through the grapevine is that we did pretty well this year. From everyone that I talked to, nobody didn't match. I didn't hear of any crazy matches but it seems like everyone got what they wanted. On another interesting note, the AOA unfilled list came out and there were a lot of Anesthesiology still open.

Why do you think spots in Anesthesiology were unfilled?
In the Anes specific forum, it seems like there's a "threat" of midlevels in the future, but I don't see how this would affect it since PA's can be seen as a "threat" to primary care fields, but still get filled.

That's really good to hear! It'll be interesting to see how many allopathic academic matches there are this year and in the coming years as GME becomes more and more merged.

Loved that show when i was younger! RDA was hilarious. Also, thats where my username comes from haha

Members don't see this ad :)
So does anyone have any insights regarding when movement off the waitlist will begin?

Reactions: 2 users
Hi guys. I'm new to this forum despite how old my account is, as I never posted until now. But I got accepted to Rowan as I just got pulled of the the hold list and got a phone call about an hour ago for being accepted.

Btw, I know this is sudden, but is there a section on this forums where you can introduce yourselves?
Find thee RowanSOM Class of 2020 page on facebook - this is the best place to meet new classmates and introduce yourself

Marisol said the committee meets the 1st and 3rd friday of every month. From that you should hear back on 3/4.

Just an FYI committee will be meeting the 1st and 3rd Fridays of every month (with the exception of october because of some sort of confernce where many of the committee was away).

Last year it was the 3rd Friday, unless they changed it for some reason.

Third Friday coming up soon! anyone else waiting to hear back?

The committee meets every other Friday each month, but I am unsure whether it's for all applicants or just those who interviewed. There will be another committee meeting this Friday so maybe a few more interview invites will be sent out.

Consensus is 1st and 3rd, but there seems to be a few cases of exceptions and/or misunderstanding.

I'm currently still on the wait list. April told me that I'm on the upper half of the wait list but she didn't give me an exact percentage. I was told this like two weeks ago. Because Rowan is my top choice, I plan to apply again if I don't get pulled off the wait list. Knowing that you can get pulled off the wait list in the summer, would it be weird if I applied Early Decision for the next cycle? Would I be allowed to do that or would I have to wait until I get a definite yes/no?

I'm currently still on the wait list. April told me that I'm on the upper half of the wait list but she didn't give me an exact percentage. I was told this like two weeks ago. Because Rowan is my top choice, I plan to apply again if I don't get pulled off the wait list. Knowing that you can get pulled off the wait list in the summer, would it be weird if I applied Early Decision for the next cycle? Would I be allowed to do that or would I have to wait until I get a definite yes/no?

From my experience in the previous cycle, a vague "upper half" placement on the wait list is not a good sign (anecdotal). Applicants on the wait list were encouraged to start the next cycle of applications. The sooner the better, I imagine.

Why do you think spots in Anesthesiology were unfilled?
In the Anes specific forum, it seems like there's a "threat" of midlevels in the future, but I don't see how this would affect it since PA's can be seen as a "threat" to primary care fields, but still get filled.

I am unsure of why this field has unfilled spots. This was for the AOA match so again and it may be different for the ACGME match. I am not pursuing an Anesthesiology spot so again, I am not filled in on the details.

Good luck everyone!

Members don't see this ad :)
Then why would she tell me there's a very good chance that I would get pulled off because in years past students were pulled off the wait list at the position that I am at? Im just very confused because I believe that "upper half" is very vague like you've stated which is why I keep asking questions in regards to the wait list but I don't get why she would create a false hope in that sense and tell me students have been pulled off of it where I'm at. I'd rather hear them tell me I'm in the lower half of the wait list and that I should start working on my application. I think I might call again next week and see what happens.

Then why would she tell me there's a very good chance that I would get pulled off because in years past students were pulled off the wait list at the position that I am at? Im just very confused because I believe that "upper half" is very vague like you've stated which is why I keep asking questions in regards to the wait list but I don't get why she would create a false hope in that sense and tell me students have been pulled off of it where I'm at. I'd rather hear them tell me I'm in the lower half of the wait list and that I should start working on my application. I think I might call again next week and see what happens.

I guess your position is better, I was never told any of those things. The uncertainty sucks but what are ya gonna do?

Reactions: 1 user

In the past, they would rank the waitlist around April, and would then provide you with a percentage of where you are at on the list. I would call sometime next month and ask if the list has been ranked, and if so, where you are at on the list. I would venture to guess that you're in a good spot on there, because they typically do not say that you have a good chance if they didn't mean it.

Take care!

-StaystrongDO

Thanks guys! I didn't mean to sound bitter or anything. Just a bit confused about some stuff. Yea she told me she couldn't give me an exact percentage as of yet but that I'm in the upper half with a good chance of getting in...but I will take your advice staystrongDO and call sometime in April. And echo87 the only thing I can do is be patient and keep studying for the MCAT which I know is my weak point on my application lol

Btw, I didn't look at the entire thread so I apologize if I missed it, but is there anyone here who goes/went to Rowan that is willing to answer any questions we have?

Btw, I didn't look at the entire thread so I apologize if I missed it, but is there anyone here who goes/went to Rowan that is willing to answer any questions we have?

I'm a first year at RowanSOM. Id be happy to answer any questions!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Can anyone who did the pre-matric program provide more info about it? Would you recommend it? Pros and cons? Thank you!

Can anyone who did the pre-matric program provide more info about it? Would you recommend it? Pros and cons? Thank you!

I'm also curious about this. If you guys could give a quick rundown of it's pros and cons and if you could recommend it?

Are interviews definitely done?

I'm also curious about this. If you guys could give a quick rundown of it's pros and cons and if you could recommend it?

I took 2 years off of school so it was helpful to get back into studying again. With that said, I also think I wouldve been fine with out it. So I don't think pre matric is absolutely needed but it's nice if you want to get back into studying more slowly (where your exam grades don't count). I really enjoyed learning OMM from the upperclassmen. That was my favorite part of pre matric and I DO think that helped me during the first half of the year because we were taught a lot of the diagnosing techniques. It was also fun to meet other classmates on a smaller scale (about 40 of us), Bc if you're shy like me, meeting 162 people at once is a little overwhelming. And it was helpful to become familiar with some of the teachers and the school.

I don't think the program gave me a huge advantage academically BUT they are always changing it and taking our suggestions after each year. I was familiar with some of the material when school started but I still felt like I had to relearn it bc over the summer it was pretty crammed/superficial and I didn't learn it well or with enough detail. And that's really just bc prematric is only 5 weeks long. You can only cram so much.

I guess the "con" would be not going on vacation or just relaxing during your last summer before school. You are there about 9-4 everyday so it's long.

Overall I'm glad I did the program. I can elaborate more if you need, just let me know !

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

In the past, they would rank the waitlist around April, and would then provide you with a percentage of where you are at on the list. I would call sometime next month and ask if the list has been ranked, and if so, where you are at on the list. I would venture to guess that you're in a good spot on there, because they typically do not say that you have a good chance if they didn't mean it.

Take care!

-StaystrongDO

Hey everyone!

I got a similar message from the admissions office. They provided me with a percentile and said they were optimistic regarding my chances. My question for anyone that cares to weigh in is what specific "rank" or position on the list would provide you with security that you're likely getting in. I know I'm probably looking to much into this, but this is my top choice and I've been holding off committing to other places because of the circumstance. Thanks to anyone in advance who can provide some insight and congrats to anyone who's been accepted!

Hey everyone!

I got a similar message from the admissions office. They provided me with a percentile and said they were optimistic regarding my chances. My question for anyone that cares to weigh in is what specific "rank" or position on the list would provide you with security that you're likely getting in. I know I'm probably looking to much into this, but this is my top choice and I've been holding off committing to other places because of the circumstance. Thanks to anyone in advance who can provide some insight and congrats to anyone who's been accepted!

This is a difficult question to answer unfortunately because this is really all based on chance, since what happens one year may not necessarily happen in the next year. All we can do is follow trends and make some predictions based on that. I always defer to admissions because they understand that students have many tough decisions to make around this time of the year, and therefore, really try to give their honest opinion and not string anyone along.

With that said, in the past, top 20% has been a good range to be in. But again, nothing is a guarantee, unfortunately.

If this is your top choice, my advice to you would be to delay as much as you can any other options in terms of acceptances you may have, and if decision day comes and you still haven't heard back from Rowan, take the other acceptance. The worst that would happen is you put down a deposit, and you end up losing it because Rowan offered you a seat. Granted, some deposits are in the thousands, and it's easy for me to say to risk it, but its definitely better to go that route than spend money on a another round of applications.

Just my two cents.

Take care and if you have any questions, please feel free to ask!

-StaystrongDO

I took 2 years off of school so it was helpful to get back into studying again. With that said, I also think I wouldve been fine with out it. So I don't think pre matric is absolutely needed but it's nice if you want to get back into studying more slowly (where your exam grades don't count). I really enjoyed learning OMM from the upperclassmen. That was my favorite part of pre matric and I DO think that helped me during the first half of the year because we were taught a lot of the diagnosing techniques. It was also fun to meet other classmates on a smaller scale (about 40 of us), Bc if you're shy like me, meeting 162 people at once is a little overwhelming. And it was helpful to become familiar with some of the teachers and the school.

I don't think the program gave me a huge advantage academically BUT they are always changing it and taking our suggestions after each year. I was familiar with some of the material when school started but I still felt like I had to relearn it bc over the summer it was pretty crammed/superficial and I didn't learn it well or with enough detail. And that's really just bc prematric is only 5 weeks long. You can only cram so much.

I guess the "con" would be not going on vacation or just relaxing during your last summer before school. You are there about 9-4 everyday so it's long.

Overall I'm glad I did the program. I can elaborate more if you need, just let me know !

Do you think a non-traditional student like me can do without the pre-matriculation program? I don't think I'd be able to join because I'm currently getting my driver's license and my driving test will be around the time when the program starts.

Hey everyone!

They gave you a percentile? When did you call? When I called yesterday, I did not receive a percentile. Rowan happens to be my top choice as well so I am very anxious about this waitlist.

Hey everyone!

Do you mind me asking what your percentile was? I know I've said this before but when speaking to April her words were "You're in the upper half of the wait list and based on the past years I would say you have a very good chance of getting in because we do have a lot of movement in the spring and summer for the wait list." However she told me if I were accepted it could happen anytime between now and August lol She couldn't provide me with a percentile yet though because she wasn't allowed or for other reasons. I didn't want to ask why though.

So just to give everyone an update in regards to the wait list and how it works. I just spoke to someone from admissions and they said that the wait list changes every time the committee meets. So you can move up or down the wait list every time they meet. The wait list is ranked based on your interview. They're meeting this week so when I asked if I can have my percentage she told me she could give it to me but that it's going to change by Friday so to call sometime next week to get a more up to date percentage of exactly where I'm at.

Reactions: 3 users
How is the gym like at RowanSOM? I didnt get a chance to go up to the weightlifting area during the tour and was wondering if I should look into gym memberships around the area

Just got an interview today. REALLY surprised as I applied a long time ago (8/10/15). Will be declining, so I hope it goes to those who are still waiting! Looks like the last interview day is May 6.

Reactions: 1 users
Just got an interview today. REALLY surprised as I applied a long time ago (8/10/15). Will be declining, so I hope it goes to those who are still waiting! Looks like the last interview day is May 6.

Same here. I applied around the same time and just received an II. I will be declining.

Last edited:
Fingers crossed for committee meeting today

Received an II to Rowan yesterday! I will not be attending because of other acceptances, but it appears like their cycle is not yet over :)

Fingers crossed for committee meeting today
As far as I know, there was a committee meeting on Friday. I talked to Paula (I don't want to assume that it was Paula Watkins, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was) and she said they were meeting on Friday to discuss the wait list and to discuss what the MCAT score will be for early decision applicants based on the new MCAT.

Has anybody gotten a wait list percentile??

Interview invitation yesterday, so surprised they're still giving them out

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Is this school full? Are these interview invitations for the waitlist?

4th year checking in. I used this forum a lot during med school and wanted to stop by and wish you all luck. Loved my time at Rowan and thought my education was top notch. We are well prepared for both boards and rotations. While our official match list is not compiled yet, pretty much everyone I know got what they wanted. Of course not everyone got their first choice, and of course some people had to scramble, but this is true at any institution.I think we had roughly 60 percent going into the ACGME match. Most people matched in the Northeast. We did well in just about every speciality. Ton of ortho, surgery, anesthesia, etc. Anyway, you'll be happy wherever you end up, i can promise you that. Med school is an incredible, humbling, and surreal experience. Enjoy it.

Reactions: 7 users
Got a call from Paula Watkins yesterday at 2:15p to tell me I'm on the hold list! I interviewed 3/22.

So interviewed in the beginning of March; yet to hear anything back; do they let you know if a decision had been made through email?

Another update for those of you on the wait list. Dean Watkins was going to visit my school, Villanova, on Monday but decided against it because of the Championship game. When I spoke to my health advisor about the situation she told me that Dean Watkins told her that the wait list still hasn't been finalized because they're still interviewing people so they can't give people on the wait list an accurate representation of where they stand. Just thought I'd share that back because I know a lot of folks are on the wait list.
PS...I got lucky because I really wanted to meet Dean Watkins so when my health advisor told her that, Dean Watkins said she would give me a phone call. Now how many Deans go out of their way to do that? Just another reason why Rowan is my top choice :)

Anyone know how deep this hold list is?

Got placed on the alternate list back in December. Not banking on anything at this point...Already fell in love with another school I was accepted to. This was my top choice at the beginning but the admissions process has been kinda a turnoff: Brief Interview, long alternate list, snail mail...Really!? It's like you're just another drop in the bucket. Doubt they even know two things about me.

Got placed on the alternate list back in December. Not banking on anything at this point...Already fell in love with another school I was accepted to. This was my top choice at the beginning but the admissions process has been kinda a turnoff: Brief Interview, long alternate list, snail mail...Really!? It's like you're just another drop in the bucket. Doubt they even know two things about me.

Congratulations and good luck with your future endeavors. Sorry you had a poor admissions experience here.

The alternate list is ranked. I've known candidates who were accepted after being on the waitlist, so hang tight.

Good Luck everyone! I do not check in here as much as I used to but I just wanted to give some hope to people who are on the waitlist. Unfortunately I cannot give any specific information, that's something you would have to call admissions about, but I was taken off the waitlist last year and wanted to try and give people some hope. It happens, so stay strong. I know how hard it is to take that advice to heart but keep in there. Its hard to do sometimes but keep fighting for it.