Rowan University (RowanSOM) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Good Luck everyone! I do not check in here as much as I used to but I just wanted to give some hope to people who are on the waitlist. Unfortunately I cannot give any specific information, that's something you would have to call admissions about, but I was taken off the waitlist last year and wanted to try and give people some hope. It happens, so stay strong. I know how hard it is to take that advice to heart but keep in there. Its hard to do sometimes but keep fighting for it.
Mind telling us what % you were at and when you got taken off!? Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Mind telling us what % you were at and when you got taken off!? Thank you!

Unfortunately I had never called to find out, but I was definitely part of the waitlist if that helps. Last year they had both a hold list and a waitlist, but I am unsure how they are handling it this year. It does change from year to year as they make adjustments to the process. Even for us current students who have been through the process, its still a mystical black box that we do not understand haha. Keep in there though! Definitely keep sending updates if you are taking classes, new MCATs, additional LOR, etc. Good Luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Unfortunately I had never called to find out, but I was definitely part of the waitlist if that helps. Last year they had both a hold list and a waitlist, but I am unsure how they are handling it this year. It does change from year to year as they make adjustments to the process. Even for us current students who have been through the process, its still a mystical black box that we do not understand haha. Keep in there though! Definitely keep sending updates if you are taking classes, new MCATs, additional LOR, etc. Good Luck!
Gotchya. When did you get the call that you were off the wait list?

Members don't see this ad :)
so if you interviewed end of march, you should hear back this friday if you are accepted?

so if you interviewed end of march, you should hear back this friday if you are accepted?

They meet every 1st and 3rd Friday, but you wouldn't be contacted immediately. Historically it looks like you're contacted middle of the next week.

Anyone know when the last interview month/date is for this cycle?

Is anybody surprised that they are required to do the pre-matric program? I'm required to do it as part of my acceptance but I have graduated with a 3.75 gpa, 3.7 sgpa, and I have a 508 mcat. I majored in biology and graduated with highest honors in may 2015 so I'm kind of confused as to why they think I need the program.

Is anybody surprised that they are required to do the pre-matric program? I'm required to do it as part of my acceptance but I have graduated with a 3.75 gpa, 3.7 sgpa, and I have a 508 mcat. I majored in biology and graduated with highest honors in may 2015 so I'm kind of confused as to why they think I need the program.
I'm
Also surprised... I'm trying to get out of it. I think they're requiring anyone who isn't graduating in May 2016 to do it

That makes no sense, I think I know people who graduated my year and weren't asked to do it.

That makes no sense, I think I know people who graduated my year and weren't asked to do it.
That's the only thing I can think of other than it being a mistake. I graduated in 2014 but did a masters in a scientific field after up until right now. So Im confident in my abilities without it.. Hmm

okay I called and they said that they will sometimes require it for people who did not get a 10 in the bio section of the mcat. I got a 126 which i guess is a 9 so thats why I have to do it

Where do they tell you if you are required to do it?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm
Also surprised... I'm trying to get out of it. I think they're requiring anyone who isn't graduating in May 2016 to do it

That's the only thing I can think of other than it being a mistake. I graduated in 2014 but did a masters in a scientific field after up until right now. So Im confident in my abilities without it.. Hmm

I know the summer is important for having fun with your friends and family before you start, but honestly prematric was one of the best times I've ever had. You meet people and form friendships that will probably last the rest of your life. Don't look at it as a requirement, but as an opportunity. Several people who took it with me did so voluntarily.

The program will give you a taste of what studying will be like. You will have a headstart on your first couple blocks.

Finally don't take it too seriously. Definitely develop your study style, but remember to go out and celebrate with your classmates. I think we went out nearly every other day to Philly.

Best of luck guys and congrats!

Reactions: 3 users
Called the school; found out I'm on the hold list after no response; good news? Or another wait list? Person I talked to said she'd have someone explain it to me

Called the school; found out I'm on the hold list after no response; good news? Or another wait list? Person I talked to said she'd have someone explain it to me

It is a good spot to be. Last year the entire hold list was taken and then a couple from wait list I believe. It is essentially a high priority wait list. They explained it to me as being exceedingly qualified for acceptance, but simply not having enough seats at the time, so as the seats open up you have first priority. I don't like giving people certainties or false hope that I am not in a place to give, but as a former hold listee, I would be excited. They even offered acceptance to the following years class for our hold list if we couldn't be taken for the year we applied, not sure if that is something they are still considering, but also keep in mind too, this is the largest class RowanSOM will be accepting; meaning even more seats that will likely be open to you.

Stay positive. Best of luck!

It is a good spot to be. Last year the entire hold list was taken and then a couple from wait list I believe. It is essentially a high priority wait list. They explained it to me as being exceedingly qualified for acceptance, but simply not having enough seats at the time, so as the seats open up you have first priority. I don't like giving people certainties or false hope that I am not in a place to give, but as a former hold listee, I would be excited. They even offered acceptance to the following years class for our hold list if we couldn't be taken for the year we applied, not sure if that is something they are still considering, but also keep in mind too, this is the largest class RowanSOM will be accepting; meaning even more seats that will likely be open to you.

Stay positive. Best of luck!
Wow, thanks so much for the reply; it's been pretty hectic this past month from hearing absolutely nothing to thinking rejection and then a hold. Hopefully it works out! Rowan was definitely my favorite school. Just curious, for all the hold spots, did they inform you by snail mail?

Wow, thanks so much for the reply; it's been pretty hectic this past month from hearing absolutely nothing to thinking rejection and then a hold. Hopefully it works out! Rowan was definitely my favorite school. Just curious, for all the hold spots, did they inform you by snail mail?

No problem. They notified me first by phone call that I was put on the hold list. I had a lot of the same anxieties as yourself. She reassured me that it was a good position to be in. Then about a month later via email they told me that I had acceptance to the following cycle's class if I did not get pulled from the hold list. About 2 weeks after that I was accepted for the cycle I applied. Now I am student here almost done with 1st year . :clap::soexcited:

I know it is nerve-wracking but keep yourself occupied in the meantime, if you need anything the admissions department is super helpful and pretty transparent with the hold process, they will let you know where you stand.

I interviewed in early March, but I haven't heard anything from them yet. I think my interview went well. This school is my number 1 pick. I'm going to call them tomorrow to see if I've been waitlisted or rejected.

Hey guys, I have an II here in a few weeks. Debating on giving it up but still am not sure because of how reputable this school seems to be and how everybody speaks of this school highly.

Would anybody like to share why they chose this school over something else? I appreciate it.

I called. I found out that I'm on the hold list. I'm so worried. Hopefully I get in.

Reactions: 2 users
Just gave up my seat this morning. Hope that it goes to one of you!

Reactions: 2 users
I called. I found out that I'm on the hold list. I'm so worried. Hopefully I get in.

Hold list is a great place to be- check last year's thread, you will most likely be getting in. I know it's nerve wracking but hang in there

With so many people on the hold list this year do you guys think they'll still accept people off of the wait list?

I was just thinking that a lot of people seem to be going on the hold list lol

When I interviewed back in September they made it sound like a lot of people come off the alternate list. Has that changed?

When I interviewed back in September they made it sound like a lot of people come off the alternate list. Has that changed?

That I am not sure of. I know we do have some students that were wait list acceptances. Check your rank after they rank it!

What rank would put me in a good position for being accepted?

Accepted on 4/20
Interviewed 4/5
OOS student

Reactions: 1 users
No they did not call at all. They sent me an email with a bunch of documents yesterday afternoon.

But they just got done telling me how there were no more seats left LOL

That is strange...maybe someone dropped out?

I'm sure there's some secret thing I don't know about how things work. Congrats tho! You were probably just too good to put on the hold list ;)

Thanks! Good luck with the process. I hope that you hear good news soon.

So I know this has been reiterated multiple times already, but just for clarification's sake, I just spoke with admissions who say that the hold list this year is similar to last year's in the respect that if you are not taken off of it this cycle, you have a seat in the class for next year's cycle - so essentially a guaranteed admission to medical school, just depends on what year you start. However, admissions was pretty sure that they would get through the hold list in its entirety. Then they would approach the waitlist

Hope this helps

So I know this has been reiterated multiple times already, but just for clarification's sake, I just spoke with admissions who say that the hold list this year is similar to last year's in the respect that if you are not taken off of it this cycle, you have a seat in the class for next year's cycle - so essentially a guaranteed admission to medical school, just depends on what year you start. However, admissions was pretty sure that they would get through the hold list in its entirety. Then they would approach the waitlist

Hope this helps

this is true, i got a call saying that i was on hold list and paula said this exact statement

Anyone going to the open house tomorrow?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Anyone going to the open house tomorrow?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app
I was thinking about going but I don't know what benefits I would gain exactly because I've visited campus numerous times and have talked to several
people from admissions and the actual faculty. When I look online there's no information about the specifics to the open house. Can anyone who goes to Rowan SOM or has been to the open house offer any insight?

I was thinking about going but I don't know what benefits I would gain exactly because I've visited campus numerous times and have talked to several
people from admissions and the actual faculty. When I look online there's no information about the specifics to the open house. Can anyone who goes to Rowan SOM or has been to the open house offer any insight?
I think it's always good to show your face and your interest in the school. Lets them know you're really dedicated.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

typically how long after the call for hold-list do you get acceptance call?

I think it's always good to show your face and your interest in the school. Lets them know you're really dedicated.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Thank you for the insight. I ended up going and it was an awesome experience. Really confirmed how great and welcoming of a school Rowan SOM is.

Thank you for the insight. I ended up going and it was an awesome experience. Really confirmed how great and welcoming of a school Rowan SOM is.
Not sure if they did, but was there any mention on how Rowan did in the match this year. I looked at the Match 2016 thread but didn't see an official Rowan list.

Not sure if they did, but was there any mention on how Rowan did in the match this year. I looked at the Match 2016 thread but didn't see an official Rowan list.
They mentioned that their students match with their first or second choice and that 100% of their graduates matriculate. They didn't go into too much detail that I remember but there was an abundance of information so I may have missed some.