Rowan University (RowanSOM) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just a reminder for all who are accepted to join the RowanSOM Class of 2020 page!
https://www.facebook.com/groups/ROWANSOM2020/

There are a bunch of current students in it as well - so this is a great great way to get your questions answered, find housing/roommates, and just get ready for classes to start in just a couple months :)
If anyone has any questions - you're always welcome to reach out to me as well!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I hope they rank it soon and, more importantly, accept people from the waitlist in a timely manner.

Good luck to all of you!

Reactions: 1 users
I hope they rank it soon and, more importantly, accept people from the waitlist in a timely manner. As much as I know anyone would be happy to get in no matter when they hear from Rowan, I don't think it is very fair for them to accept people just one day before class starts.

Good luck to all of you!
Unfortunately, there is a finite number of seats and they can only give out a new acceptance when someone currently holding a seat gives up their acceptance. At that point (around May til classes start), seat movement is no longer in their control, but the control of the students that have deposits down on the seats. The bulk of waitlist movement will occur thru May/June, but be aware there were a small number of people in our class that were accepted a week or just a couple days before. And that's not the school being unfair, it's just when the opportunity opened up and I can tell you anyone who got those seats is very happy with where they are now :)

Unfortunately, there is a finite number of seats and they can only give out a new acceptance when someone currently holding a seat gives up their acceptance. At that point (around May til classes start), seat movement is no longer in their control, but the control of the students that have deposits down on the seats. The bulk of waitlist movement will occur thru May/June, but be aware there were a small number of people in our class that were accepted a week or just a couple days before. And that's not the school being unfair, it's just when the opportunity opened up and I can tell you anyone who got those seats is very happy with where they are now :)

I didn't want it to sound like the school was being unfair and that is why I changed my response in a few minutes. I meant to say that it is unfair for some people to hold seats that long, but who knows their reason to do so? I'm surprised you even got to see my post before I edited it :)

I didn't want it to sound like the school was being unfair and that is why I changed my response in a few minutes. I meant to say that it is unfair for some people to hold seats that long, but who knows their reason to do so? I'm surprised you even got to see my post before I edited it :)
haha just the right timing I guess, sorry about that!
everything works out at the end of this whole application process, just hang on and try to relax :)

Good luck to those interviewing today!! I turned down my interview date here a few days ago after A LOT of thought and I hope it goes out somebody who is waiting for good news this cycle! Hope whoever gets it kills it!

Good luck to those interviewing today!! I turned down my interview date here a few days ago after A LOT of thought and I hope it goes out somebody who is waiting for good news this cycle! Hope whoever gets it kills it!

I interviewed today and was the only student that showed up! Loved it..really friendly and welcoming.

Reactions: 2 users
LOL no way???

They said usually 3-4 people would show up around this period of the interview cycle haha. Whoever interviews there you must try a cheesesteak. I was recommended to get it at Donkey's Place in New Jersey...Not a Philly one but it still tasted like heaven..

Has anyone from the hold list heard anything about their status recently?

Members don't see this ad :)
LOL no way???

They said usually 3-4 people would show up around this period of the interview cycle haha. Whoever interviews there you must try a cheesesteak. I was recommended to get it at Donkey's Place in New Jersey...Not a Philly one but it still tasted like heaven..
WHAT THEY ARE STILL INTERVIEWING CANDIDATES?!?!??!!?
apparently theres 2 more interviews in May

Does the school only notify you by phone if you've been accepted off the holdlist, or do they also send an email acceptance? Also, am I wrong in assuming that the first deposit can be made online rather than by a check sent by mail?

Does the school only notify you by phone if you've been accepted off the holdlist, or do they also send an email acceptance? Also, am I wrong in assuming that the first deposit can be made online rather than by a check sent by mail?
Last year it had to be by check. Not sure if that changed for this year. I only got the call for my acceptance, no email

No idea why they're still interviewing when so many people are in hold/alternate lists.

I'm not even the one on the list and I'm so nervous :) Hopefully my future doctor will get in.

Sigh. I know I just have to be patient about the hold list, but especially since April 30th passed I've just been waiting for my phone to ring...

hey guys, can you please tell me if i got a shot in this school? i love rownsom.
MCAT :507=>130,122,127,128
GPA:3.6

hey guys, can you please tell me if i got a shot in this school? i love rownsom.
MCAT :507=>130,122,127,128
GPA:3.6

What's your sGPA? Your EC's?

So far, it looks like you are definitely good for RowanSOM.

Sigh. I know I just have to be patient about the hold list, but especially since April 30th passed I've just been waiting for my phone to ring...
I'm the same; I know we're basically admitted but I really want to know if it's this year or next year lol.

What's your sGPA? Your EC's?

So far, it looks like you are definitely good for RowanSOM.
3.65 is sGPA. and I have lots of research, shadowing and volunteering
so you think I have a Shot?

anyone from hold-list heard back? perhaps we will hear around may 15th?

anyone from hold-list heard back? perhaps we will hear around may 15th?

Just to relax your nerves a bit and give you some hope, I took at whole 3 minutes out of my day (you can thank me when you attend the school with various gifts :laugh:, seriously though I really like Reese's) and I went back to last years thread:

Apparently I was accepted on May 22nd, 2015 (great day). I was, I think, like the 5th or so person accepted off of it. I think things are a little behind this year, but I would expect some movement, as with every year to start in mid May, it continues all the way until late July, which is pretty cool/crazy. There was someone in my class accepted two days before white coat off of the wait-list. That would've been an incredible series of events haha, I never asked who it was but I bet it was an awesome feeling.

Just to continue in the vein of awesome acceptance stories, not to feed my ego, but when I found out that hold-list members were at least accepted to the following year's class (because remember hold-list was kind of a new thing last year, we didn't really know where we stood) was the same day I was given permission to defend my thesis. I did a MS in computational biology and about a month before in April, when I went to schedule my defense, we found out that the data I used to build all of my analysis on was incorrect, it was given to me by someone who failed to do their end of checks and I just happened to find out the errors by noticing some weird anomalies in my dataset. In comp bio it is hard to discover things like this because your datasets are usually massive.

I had like 1.5 years invested in this project and I thought I wasn't going to graduate because of these errors. Luckily we found an alternative more complete dataset, and since it was comp bio all of my code was written and just needed some slight edits. I rallied, didn't sleep much and completed all the code and got back solid results in about 3 weeks. In a week I ended up defending my thesis successfully, graduating with my MS, publishing a paper in a peer-reviewed journal and my thesis in the school library, and finally getting accepted to medical school. When a month prior I literally thought none of that was going to happen.

Not to give anyone false hope, but always stay positive and roll with the punches, you don't know how things can change if you work hard enough.

Reactions: 2 users
Withdrew my acceptance. It was tough since the community at Rowan SOM is so wonderful. Good luck to those still waiting to hear back!

Just to relax your nerves a bit and give you some hope, I took at whole 3 minutes out of my day (you can thank me when you attend the school with various gifts :laugh:, seriously though I really like Reese's) and I went back to last years thread:

Apparently I was accepted on May 22nd, 2015 (great day). I was, I think, like the 5th or so person accepted off of it. I think things are a little behind this year, but I would expect some movement, as with every year to start in mid May, it continues all the way until late July, which is pretty cool/crazy. There was someone in my class accepted two days before white coat off of the wait-list. That would've been an incredible series of events haha, I never asked who it was but I bet it was an awesome feeling.

Just to continue in the vein of awesome acceptance stories, not to feed my ego, but when I found out that hold-list members were at least accepted to the following year's class (because remember hold-list was kind of a new thing last year, we didn't really know where we stood) was the same day I was given permission to defend my thesis. I did a MS in computational biology and about a month before in April, when I went to schedule my defense, we found out that the data I used to build all of my analysis on was incorrect, it was given to me by someone who failed to do their end of checks and I just happened to find out the errors by noticing some weird anomalies in my dataset. In comp bio it is hard to discover things like this because your datasets are usually massive.

I had like 1.5 years invested in this project and I thought I wasn't going to graduate because of these errors. Luckily we found an alternative more complete dataset, and since it was comp bio all of my code was written and just needed some slight edits. I rallied, didn't sleep much and completed all the code and got back solid results in about 3 weeks. In a week I ended up defending my thesis successfully, graduating with my MS, publishing a paper in a peer-reviewed journal and my thesis in the school library, and finally getting accepted to medical school. When a month prior I literally thought none of that was going to happen.

Not to give anyone false hope, but always stay positive and roll with the punches, you don't know how things can change if you work hard enough.
I've known you for close to a year and now just realize that we share the same stress eating snack

In all seriousness - listen to this guy, he was in the same spot last year and is now continuing to do super awesome things!

I just got an email saying my application is no longer being considered because the application cycle has closed. I was placed on the wait list. Does this mean that I've been removed from the wait list or does everyone who wasn't accepted get this email? I just spoke to Dean Watkins like two weeks ago and she said I could still get a call in June/July so I'm really confused right now.

I was just wondering about the acceptance process. I heard that after receiving the phone call, you receive a packet, via email, telling you what to do next to confirm your acceptance. I was just wondering, if we are unable to answer the phone call, do we still receive the packet? Or is answering the phone call necessary for receiving the packet?

I was just wondering about the acceptance process. I heard that after receiving the phone call, you receive a packet, via email, telling you what to do next to confirm your acceptance. I was just wondering, if we are unable to answer the phone call, do we still receive the packet? Or is answering the phone call necessary for receiving the packet?

I think you should answer the calls they send you. They should leave a voicemail for you to call back or something.

Applying here! Bit of a reach but my fingers are crossed!
Hi! I'm very new to this, and my stats are semi similar to yours.
I actually was a part of a 7 year program w/ PCOM
I had to have a GPA of a 3.5 and MCAT of 500.
I have a GPA of a 3.7 cum and 3.6 science
I took the mcat once in august and got a 490 (just a bad experience) and then again in april and got a 493 (still bad)
Therefore, I wasnt granted admission.
I was only allowed to apply to PCOM as a junior, but now I want to reapply in this cycle.

I plan on retaking the mcat a third time in august.
I'm just wondering what my chances are for Rowan.
I'm also instate.

Just a reminder for all who are accepted to join the RowanSOM Class of 2020 page!

There are a bunch of current students in it as well - so this is a great great way to get your questions answered, find housing/roommates, and just get ready for classes to start in just a couple months :)

Hi! I'm very new to this.
I took the mcat once in august and got a 490 (just a bad experience) and then again in april and got a 493 (still bad)
I was only allowed to apply to PCOM as a junior, but now I want to reapply in this cycle.

I have a run of the mill application i feel like, nothing stands out really. I shadowed both MD/DO, i researched, and I have ECs.
I plan on retaking the mcat a third time in august. I'm also going to work, as a pharm tech.
I'm gonna increase my shadowing too.
I'm just wondering what my chances are for Rowan and if there's anything you could tell me to do that would increase my chances. I'm desperate here!
I can't believe I ruined my chances w/ PCOM because I couldnt get a 500. I have bad test anxiety I think
I'm also instate.

do you know of anyone looking for roommates? found a home in marlton, evesham, prior renters were rowan DO graduates. total of 5 students, need 4 more, house is 7 bedrooms, basement and in-ground swimming pool. $480.00 per person

Hi! I'm very new to this.

I have a run of the mill application i feel like, nothing stands out really. I shadowed both MD/DO, i researched, and I have ECs.
I plan on retaking the mcat a third time in august. I'm also going to work, as a pharm tech.
I'm gonna increase my shadowing too.
I'm just wondering what my chances are for Rowan and if there's anything you could tell me to do that would increase my chances. I'm desperate here!
I can't believe I ruined my chances w/ PCOM because I couldnt get a 500. I have bad test anxiety I think
I'm also instate.

With that MCAT score, your chances are pretty much zero for any DO school. You need to retake and get a respectable score.

The average MCAT for Rowan is already a 507. You'll have to score around that to have a chance. Try your best in this retake, and keep working hard!

With that MCAT score, your chances are pretty much zero for any DO school. You need to retake and get a respectable score.

The average MCAT for Rowan is already a 507. You'll have to score around that to have a chance. Try your best in this retake, and keep working hard!

Do you think it'll look bad that I'll be taking it 3 times?

do you know of anyone looking for roommates? found a home in marlton, evesham, prior renters were rowan DO graduates. total of 5 students, need 4 more, house is 7 bedrooms, basement and in-ground swimming pool. $480.00 per person
Post to the class of 2020 facebook group. there are definitely still people looking for housing!

if anyone on the hold list gets news please keep all of us updated! i made an account so i can do the same. thanks

Reactions: 3 users
Wow. My first acceptance of this cycle!!!! ( deferred acceptance if I don't get off the hold list but I'm happy). After so many waitlists and rejections I can finally say that I will be a medical student. Truly grateful to have this opportunity. Wish everyone good luck.

Reactions: 4 users