Rowan University (RowanSOM) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just a few things to keep in mind for all of you that have interviewed:
-remember that not everyone is on SDN, it is absolutely possible that most of the people getting interviews this year are not on here which may be skewing your perspectives
-I am not aware of the acceptance statistics for this year, but I do know there is a potential increase of 16 students for next year's class (TBA if this is actually happening), the class size WILL NOT go down
-RowanSOM usually has a lot of hold list & wait list movement each year (I know many of my classmates fall into these categories), so if you're put on the waitlist this early in the year, just remain calm and hold out hope for May/June - you still have a very good shot at getting in. If you do anything significant between now and then, maybe shoot admissions a friendly (and brief!) update so they see that you're still interested and you stay on their radar when they start pulling from those lists.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Just out of curiosity, how long did everyone wait between being marked "complete" and getting an II?

Members don't see this ad :)
Idk of it depends on stats I have 4 md IIs and haven't heard back...

My clarification...stats and EC's, and perhaps the LOR or shadowing expperiences. They really want to know you want to become a DO, and not just using DO as a backup plan to MD.

Some at my interview were obviously using RowanSOM as a backup choice to MD, and would only consider going there as a last resort.

In my interview, they really want to know what your intentions are.

My parent is a do... Have the rec letter from another do. Also only shadowed other dos

Depends on your stats. I waited about two months.
I think you and I have similar stats, if I remember correctly from earlier in the cycle. I submitted all secondaries in July and August, but my apps were complete late because my committee letter didn't get uploaded until September. I already have other interviews (DO & MD), but Rowan didn't even mark me complete until a month after my committee letter was uploaded. It's definitely not a backup for me, and I have tons of healthcare and research experience as well as a letter from a DO I've worked with for a long time who hopes I'll end up working with him someday. We'll see; it sounds like this year it's especially competitive!

When did they mark you complete?

Not sure if this was already asked, but how close do you all get to the word limit? Should I be hitting ~500 for the identify your interest essay? Same with the 750 limit ones. I want to be concise and to the point and feel as though if I write 750 words it'll be filled with repetition and be wordy. Thanks!

Not sure if this was already asked, but how close do you all get to the word limit? Should I be hitting ~500 for the identify your interest essay? Same with the 750 limit ones. I want to be concise and to the point and feel as though if I write 750 words it'll be filled with repetition and be wordy. Thanks!

I didn't come close to 750, and it was fine. 500 words suffice.

II today! Stats in my signature. Submitted my secondary 8/12 but no idea when I was complete...sorry!

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Lol thanks -- I was wait listed a few weeks ago but still hopeful!

Always keep the faith. It can be really stressful at times but there is always waitlist movement. Rowan SOM tends to have alot of waitlist movement but I used the word "tends" because the process appears to change constantly and I do not want to send you in the wrong direction. Good things happen though.

500 is plenty. With any essay just focus on answering the question to the best of your ability. I have always seen the word count as a way of restricting people from writing 50 page essays and not something to strive towards. If your essay is 100 words then its possible that you might need a little more elaboration but 500 sounds like a reasonable number as long as you thoroughly answered the question. Good Luck!

Got that II ;)

II this morning!

Congratulations and good luck! Just go in there and be yourself.

how does rowan rank in terms of other D.O schools? would it be considered in the top 5 for example?

how does rowan rank in terms of other D.O schools? would it be considered in the top 5 for example?

Yes, it is considered to be one of the top DO schools. They're all on equal par with PCOM, CCOM, MSU-COM, etc.

Reactions: 1 users
Yes, it is considered to be one of the top DO schools. They're all on equal par with PCOM, CCOM, MSU-COM, etc.
I have an interview here in November and I already have acceptance at CUSOM. I really loved CUSOM and I really see myself going there. It might be a hard decision to make if I get accepted at rowan too.

I have an interview here in November and I already have acceptance at CUSOM. I really loved CUSOM and I really see myself going there. It might be a hard decision to make if I get accepted at rowan too.

If you're IS, then Rowan would be a better bet. If you're not, consider that Rowan's OOS tuition is $59k a year. CUSOM might be a better bet then.

I'm having a tough choice so far because I need to chose CUSOM or CCOM in a couple of days...I'm leaning towards CCOM, and I also got a scholarship to CUSOM too...

If you're IS, then Rowan would be a better bet. If you're not, consider that Rowan's OOS tuition is $59k a year. CUSOM might be a better bet then.

I'm having a tough choice so far because I need to chose CUSOM or CCOM in a couple of days...I'm leaning towards CCOM, and I also got a scholarship to CUSOM too...
I'm actually OOS for both. Tuition is not that big of a deal for me, I would place fit and quality of education higher in terms of what I am looking for in a medical school. Let us know what you decide and congrats on the scholarship!

Has anyone that interviewed around the end of September heard back yet? I haven't received a wait list letter in the mail or a call, and the anxiety is quite literally killing me :(

Has anyone that interviewed around the end of September heard back yet? I haven't received a wait list letter in the mail or a call, and the anxiety is quite literally killing me :(
Nothing here....9/28...and from what I see on SDN, nothing...but as @LuluMed said that's just SDN; there may have been acceptances to people who do not post on here.

Hey ya'll. quick question. How does residency work here. Can we apply for state residency after the first year and get the in state tuition?

Hey ya'll. quick question. How does residency work here. Can we apply for state residency after the first year and get the in state tuition?

No. When you enroll here as OOS you pay OOS tuition for all four years, irregardless if you become IS later.

No. When you enroll here as OOS you pay OOS tuition for all four years, irregardless if you become IS later.
Honestly, after visiting some of these DO schools, I'm might be willing to shell out that tuition for Rowan.
I just sent my primary. I know it's a little late, but I'm going to try my best!

Last edited:
just got an alternate list letter in the mail :(

just got an alternate list letter in the mail :(
Damn, well there's still a chance especially given how much movement there is off the Rowan waitlist in the spring. When did you interview?

Well, they interview about 8 a week...so I'm sure some where accepted.

anyone know if the alternate list is ranked or something like that?

Hey guys...waitlisted here as well! Def not upset in any way to be honest, I'm still really glad I had the chance to interview here....plus it looks like plenty of us ended up on this list, so who knows what lies ahead? Best wishes to all! :)

Wait listed as well. Keep your heads up everyone! I keep trying to remind myself it's a long cycle and we need to be patient, tough as that is right now ;)

Just a few things to keep in mind for all of you that have interviewed:
-remember that not everyone is on SDN, it is absolutely possible that most of the people getting interviews this year are not on here which may be skewing your perspectives
-I am not aware of the acceptance statistics for this year, but I do know there is a potential increase of 16 students for next year's class (TBA if this is actually happening), the class size WILL NOT go down
-RowanSOM usually has a lot of hold list & wait list movement each year (I know many of my classmates fall into these categories), so if you're put on the waitlist this early in the year, just remain calm and hold out hope for May/June - you still have a very good shot at getting in. If you do anything significant between now and then, maybe shoot admissions a friendly (and brief!) update so they see that you're still interested and you stay on their radar when they start pulling from those lists.

hey- appreciate you being on this thread! thanks!

I'm confused after skimming last year's thread. What exactly is the difference between the hold & wait list? The letter I received today said "alternate list."

It seems like a hold list is the better place to be, but is that something that gets put together later in the cycle? Or would I have been told now?

Thanks again

I'm on the alternate list as well >_>

Interviewed week of September 20.

Last edited:
My status shows completed awhile ago but I never received a complete email. Guys, should I be worried?

hey- appreciate you being on this thread! thanks!

I'm confused after skimming last year's thread. What exactly is the difference between the hold & wait list? The letter I received today said "alternate list."

It seems like a hold list is the better place to be, but is that something that gets put together later in the cycle? Or would I have been told now?

Thanks again
Last year it was better to be on the hold list, but I know PLENTY of people that got off both the wait list and hold list. I would assume the alternate list is similar to the waitlist, but it sounds like they are doing things different than last year. So, I would try to disregard the terms used last year and just hope for the best (remember, if you're on the alternate list, there is still definitely a good chance that you will get in!)

Last year it was better to be on the hold list, but I know PLENTY of people that got off both the wait list and hold list. I would assume the alternate list is similar to the waitlist, but it sounds like they are doing things different than last year. So, I would try to disregard the terms used last year and just hope for the best (remember, if you're on the alternate list, there is still definitely a good chance that you will get in!)

thanks!

do you know if the movement on those lists was mostly in the spring/summer or could it happen soonish?

thanks!

do you know if the movement on those lists was mostly in the spring/summer or could it happen soonish?
I would expect to wait til the spring, like may-ish. I know its a long haul so just try to relax and enjoy the year. You never know what would happen along the way!

They called me two weeks ago but I was waiting for the actual letter in the mail which came yesterday...