Rowan University (RowanSOM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
II!! (my first) Anyone have any advice on interviews here? How are they conducted, etc?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Can any current students comment on board prep the school offers? Such as dedicated study time, review courses, or subscriptions to study sites...

Anyone interviewing on Sept 10 receive a follow-up phone call scheduling your exact interview time slot yet? I am still waiting for a call. Also, are you supposed to get an invitational letter in the mail?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Actually I see it on the portal. Maybe it will be done on Friday, although I may call Thursday if I don't hear anything to at least check.q

Do they accept a January MCAT?

Actually I see it on the portal. Maybe it will be done on Friday, although I may call Thursday if I don't hear anything to at least check.q

Yeah, on the portal under Interview Day Information, it says
"Prior to your interview day you should receive a follow up phone call from our staff to inform you of your exact interview time slot and answer any questions you may have about the day and our program. "

Still waiting for a follow-up call. I suppose I'll wait until the end of today and call them Thursday if I still haven't gotten a call from them.

Can any current students comment on board prep the school offers? Such as dedicated study time, review courses, or subscriptions to study sites...

You have a little more than 2 months dedicated. We are given access to all of Kaplan's material at the end of second year (included in tuition). As student's we coordinate discounts for any other material, i.e. DIT, uworld, USMLE Rx, First Aid, Combank, Comquest, etc.

You will have access to more material than you could possibly ever cover.

II!! (my first) Anyone have any advice on interviews here? How are they conducted, etc?

Unless it has changed, it will be a one on one interview. The interviewers themselves do vary. Mine was conversational and very relaxed. She turned out to be one of my favorite professors at the school. There were no "gotcha" questions. You should know your personal statement in-and-out. Know why you want to be a physician, or surgeon. Discuss the mission of the school and your values, if they are compatible, etc.

I will be giving tours this weekend to interviewees, so if there are any major changes to style, I can let you know. I doubt it though. I do know they are beginning to interview more people per session, over a fewer amount of sessions. This is probably for efficiency in processing applications and shouldn't affect style or quality (although I am not a part of admissions, so I am not sure, consider this a disclaimer).

Reactions: 1 user
Unless it has changed, it will be a one on one interview. The interviewers themselves do vary. Mine was conversational and very relaxed. She turned out to be one of my favorite professors at the school. There were no "gotcha" questions. You should know your personal statement in-and-out. Know why you want to be a physician, or surgeon. Discuss the mission of the school and your values, if they are compatible, etc.

I will be giving tours this weekend to interviewees, so if there are any major changes to style, I can let you know. I doubt it though. I do know they are beginning to interview more people per session, over a fewer amount of sessions. This is probably for efficiency in processing applications and shouldn't affect style or quality (although I am not a part of admissions, so I am not sure, consider this a disclaimer).

The portal states you might have one or two interviewers.

I'm interviewing on Sept 10, so hello! I might be seeing you this weekend! Do you know if students are happy in the PBL program? I'm interested in PBL.

I'm interviewing on Sept 10, so hello! I might be seeing you this weekend! Do you know if students are happy in the PBL program? I'm interested in PBL.

I will also be seeing you this weekend, can't wait to get a look.

II, but there's only 1 slot open? It's kinda at an inconvenient time for me.

Members don't see this ad :)
I just got my time slot for II

People who are interviewing on sept 10 this Saturday. I just received an email from admissions that the interview session location has changed. Just spreading the word.

Yeah. I assume it will be easy enough to find inside the building as the instructions just tell you the Academic Center.

Yeah. Based on other interviews I am assuming there will be someone at a front desk to check us in...hopefully haha

Hopefully since we are in the first group we will hear back within a week or two. This school is at the top of my list so getting in and complete early would be a huge relaxer for the rest of the cycle

Hopefully since we are in the first group we will hear back within a week or two. This school is at the top of my list so getting in and complete early would be a huge relaxer for the rest of the cycle

Ditto. I applied early decision to this school, so I really hope for a fast response.

Hm...they are doing regular and early at the same interview? Oh well, at least I am getting in early. I tried looking at last years thread but there wasn't a clear response time for early interviews so just guessing.

Me too

How many people are arriving today?

II this morning! I'm an out of state-er, so I'll be flying into NJ for my interview, and it would be easiest if I didn't miss too much work so I would like to fly back the same day (I have an AM interview). Anyone who has interviewed here already (or a current student) who has any idea what time the interview would be over so I can book a flight accordingly? Thank you! :)

Interesting, first I've heard of that.

I will also be seeing you this weekend, can't wait to get a look.

Best of luck guys, see you soon.

II this morning! I'm an out of state-er, so I'll be flying into NJ for my interview, and it would be easiest if I didn't miss too much work so I would like to fly back the same day (I have an AM interview). Anyone who has interviewed here already (or a current student) who has any idea what time the interview would be over so I can book a flight accordingly? Thank you! :)

Did anyone say when they would start releasing the results from today's group? I forgot to ask during the Q&A.

How did your interviews go? I am interviewing this thursday! Anything tips? :)

Mine was really relaxed and nice. Just make sure you know your application since they definitely had knowledge of everything I had put down to paper.

My interview was conversational, but I'm sure everyone else who interviewed also felt the interview was like that. Know the basic questions (Why doctor, why DO, why Rowan, etc) and be able to explain everything on your application as they will read your file beforehand.

Mine was really relaxed and nice. Just make sure you know your application since they definitely had knowledge of everything I had put down to paper.
My interview was conversational, but I'm sure everyone else who interviewed also felt the interview was like that. Know the basic questions (Why doctor, why DO, why Rowan, etc) and be able to explain everything on your application as they will read your file beforehand.
Thank you :). When you say know your application, do they ask about activities or more about essays/personal statement? Or both?

Thank you :). When you say know your application, do they ask about activities or more about essays/personal statement? Or both?
I would imagine whatever you emphasized and talked about a lot in your application is more likely to be brought up. Or any significant activity or statement. But of course, you shouldn't assume they won't talk about something.

I personally got asked about both, although majority was about activities. And then typical why DO, why Rowan.

Did they ask about current issues in healthcare, or anything ethics-related?

it was great to see some of the interviewees today! good luck to you all

if we interviewed this week when should we getting a decision?

if we interviewed this week when should we getting a decision?
The adcom meets tomorrow -- if we get reviewed tomorrow, we'll know by next week. Otherwise, we won't know til the last week of October :bucktooth: