About the ads

1. Check out PREMED.me!
    Offers FREE service to help premeds manage their applications and MCAT study calendars and identify schools to target.

Running out of EK Verbal but still need improvement!

Discussion in 'MCAT Discussions' started by 09ine, May 6, 2012.

1. SDN is a nonprofit organization. Services are made possible through the generous support of SDN members and sponsors. Thank you.
  1. 09ine

09ine

Pre-Medical

SDN Members don't see this ad. (About Ads)
    So when I first started off with verbal I was at the 7s but now I'm plateauing at 9-10 but I'd like to either solidify a 10 or make it in the 11 zone. The problem is I only have 5 more EK verbals to do in the next 3 weeks. Is there anything similar to EK or other practice I could do to get better at it? I'm enrolled in Kaplan but the consensus is that the questions aren't representative of the verbal.
  2. MedPR

MedPR

Pre-Podiatry
    TPRH VW, and the AAMCs are good practice too. FWIW, I was getting 10-11 on EK and 11-13 on AAMC.
  3. 09ine

09ine

Pre-Medical
    Yeah I only did AAMC 3 so far but only got a 9 on the verbal in that. That whole Confucius passage really got me frustrated.
  4. unluckybanana

unluckybanana

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Definately reccommend the AAMC's. I was averaging 9-10 on the EK, but after I started the practice tests, got solid 11's.
  5. SH3

SH3

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Your options are to purchase the remaining AAMC CBTs, TPRH Verbal Workbook or use the Q Bank in Kaplan for CBT Verbal practice.
  6. dmf2682

dmf2682

Pre-Medical
    Rocket Scientist SDN 2+ Year Member
    If you want cheap material with an unknown track record try googling 'mcat verbal virtuoso'. Mixed reviews here on sdn but ymmv
  7. JFK90787

JFK90787

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I'm doing EK verbal 101 side by side right now with the AAMCs and I am blown away by the difference. AAMC passages are much much more difficult than EK's.

Getting 10-11 consistently on the EK practices. Typically less than that on AAMC unless I get some lucky guesses.

EK needs to include some more convulted philosophy or art passages in their next version. As it is right now, most of their passages are much more pleasant and enjoyable to read than 80% of the stuff on AAMC. TPRH is much more accurate IMO to what to expect on the real thing.
  8. Lostintime

Lostintime

I disagree with this personally. I averaged 7-8 on EK. On the AAMC practice tests, I haven't gotten lower than a 12.

I hit a 12 on the real thing.

EK has a lot of... lets say logical tidbits that I do not agree with.
  9. TheShaker

TheShaker

MD/PhD Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I agree with this. EK can ask questions in a very strange way and has some very...questionable reasoning sometimes. I will admit that it helps me catch common traps on questions outside of EK though.

I agree with the guy with the cat on his avatar though (too lazy to look back :oops:). EK's passages can be pretty fascinating sometimes and it helps me too much when I read it. EK passages make TPRH VW feel like I'm watching paint dry.
  10. Temperature101

Temperature101

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I agree with your assessment...I am averaging 7 on EK and cant even break a 6 on my first three AAMC practice tests.