Running out of EK Verbal but still need improvement!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

09ine

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So when I first started off with verbal I was at the 7s but now I'm plateauing at 9-10 but I'd like to either solidify a 10 or make it in the 11 zone. The problem is I only have 5 more EK verbals to do in the next 3 weeks. Is there anything similar to EK or other practice I could do to get better at it? I'm enrolled in Kaplan but the consensus is that the questions aren't representative of the verbal.

Members don't see this ad.

So when I first started off with verbal I was at the 7s but now I'm plateauing at 9-10 but I'd like to either solidify a 10 or make it in the 11 zone. The problem is I only have 5 more EK verbals to do in the next 3 weeks. Is there anything similar to EK or other practice I could do to get better at it? I'm enrolled in Kaplan but the consensus is that the questions aren't representative of the verbal.

TPRH VW, and the AAMCs are good practice too. FWIW, I was getting 10-11 on EK and 11-13 on AAMC.

Yeah I only did AAMC 3 so far but only got a 9 on the verbal in that. That whole Confucius passage really got me frustrated.

Definately reccommend the AAMC's. I was averaging 9-10 on the EK, but after I started the practice tests, got solid 11's.

Members don't see this ad :)

Your options are to purchase the remaining AAMC CBTs, TPRH Verbal Workbook or use the Q Bank in Kaplan for CBT Verbal practice.

I'm doing EK verbal 101 side by side right now with the AAMCs and I am blown away by the difference. AAMC passages are much much more difficult than EK's.

Getting 10-11 consistently on the EK practices. Typically less than that on AAMC unless I get some lucky guesses.

EK needs to include some more convulted philosophy or art passages in their next version. As it is right now, most of their passages are much more pleasant and enjoyable to read than 80% of the stuff on AAMC. TPRH is much more accurate IMO to what to expect on the real thing.

I'm doing EK verbal 101 side by side right now with the AAMCs and I am blown away by the difference. AAMC passages are much much more difficult than EK's.

Getting 10-11 consistently on the EK practices. Typically less than that on AAMC unless I get some lucky guesses.

EK needs to include some more convulted philosophy or art passages in their next version. As it is right now, most of their passages are much more pleasant and enjoyable to read than 80% of the stuff on AAMC. TPRH is much more accurate IMO to what to expect on the real thing.

I disagree with this personally. I averaged 7-8 on EK. On the AAMC practice tests, I haven't gotten lower than a 12.

I hit a 12 on the real thing.

EK has a lot of... lets say logical tidbits that I do not agree with.

I disagree with this personally. I averaged 7-8 on EK. On the AAMC practice tests, I haven't gotten lower than a 12.

I hit a 12 on the real thing.

EK has a lot of... lets say logical tidbits that I do not agree with.

I agree with this. EK can ask questions in a very strange way and has some very...questionable reasoning sometimes. I will admit that it helps me catch common traps on questions outside of EK though.

I agree with the guy with the cat on his avatar though (too lazy to look back :oops:). EK's passages can be pretty fascinating sometimes and it helps me too much when I read it. EK passages make TPRH VW feel like I'm watching paint dry.

I agree with your assessment...I am averaging 7 on EK and cant even break a 6 on my first three AAMC practice tests.