Rush Medical College Reputation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rush vs. SUNYs

• Rush

Votes: 34 65.4%
  • SUNY

Votes: 18 34.6%

• Total voters

pumpkinkitty

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thinking of applying here as my number one choice given its rotations with Cook County, top ranked specialties including #4 ortho and #11 neuro/neurosurg, and amazing new 14 storey hospital. What is Rush's reputation like for matching? Also, how does it compare to SUNY Upstate/Downstate, which I am also looking at? Thanks :)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
1) You should get into a school first before you compare- it doesn't matter what your 1st choice is while applying.
2) They all have a similar costs and are cheaper than most med schools, so check plus for that
3) If Cook County is a plus for Rush than Kings County needs to be a plus for Downstate
4) The ranking of specialties at each hospital doesn't mean much. It might mean better LORs and more research in that dept, but you could always apply for away rotations at any school that is ranked highly in the specialty you want. And you don't know what specialty you will gravitate towards
5) you should probably look at more than 3 schools, since acceptance rates to individual schools are pretty low

You choose med schools based on cost, quality, location, fit. They all have the same cost. They are the same quality (Rush has really nice facilities, Downstate is know for its strength in clinical training, Upstate is also good. Rush and Downstate would have the most access to research, but Upstate has more than enough to get you where you would want to go). Location, I have no idea what you want in a location (I prefer Chicago to NY and prefer cities to Syracuse). Fit (which includes curriculum) is, again, something I can't determine for you (Downstate and Rush have similar missions which are very different from Upstate's). Their match lists look similar. Etc.

If you are applying right now, good luck!

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
The winner is the one that accepts you.

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Here's the really important thing you have to consider:

NY pizza
upload_2016-7-29_22-30-2.jpeg

or that cassarole they call Chicago pizza?
upload_2016-7-29_22-30-25.jpeg

Thinking of applying here as my number one choice given its rotations with Cook County, top ranked specialties including #6 ortho and #15 neuro/neurosurg, and amazing new 14 storey hospital. What is Rush's reputation like for matching? Also, how does it compare to SUNY Upstate/Downstate, which I am also looking at? Thanks :)

Reactions: 24 users
Thank you all for the advice! @Goro I'm going to have to go with the NY classic hands down.
@Mansamusa I am applying right now, thank you for the kind words! I'm also applying to about 10 others, those were just my dream schools :)

Reactions: 1 user
chicago>>>>>>new york

Reactions: 14 users
Be aware of the of the outrageous number of clinical and service hours required at Rush. Without them you won't get very far. And Chicago has great pizza and they have hot dogs and beef sandwiches too and the Hawks, Cubs and Bears too. Good luck with your applications .

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 7 users

NY pizza
View attachment 207155

View attachment 207156

I call it cheese or pizza pie.
If an actual pie made out of pizza sauce and as much hot melted cheese as you could put in your mouth sounds good to you.... (how could it not?)
It is a pizza flavored hot melted cheese orgasm in your mouth

I don't understand, people in NY must love bread more than sauce and cheese
I'm not a bread person, it's dry and bland

MORE CHEESE MORE SAUCE!

Reactions: 6 users

NY pizza
View attachment 207155

View attachment 207156
Another vote here for Chicago style pizza. That flat pancake-like thing pictured doesn't fit enough ingredients on its top to be worth eating. And within walking distance of Rush is The Patio, which has the best Chicago style hotdogs and Italian beef sandwiches. Ever.

Reactions: 8 users
Be aware of the of the outrageous number of clinical and service hours required at Rush. Without them you won't get very far. And Chicago has great pizza and they have hot dogs and beef sandwiches too and the Hawks, Cubs and Bears too. Good luck with your applications .

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile app
I heard that it's a lot, but hopefully I am within range! Thank you for the pointers.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Why is this even a question? Deep dish is clearly superior.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

Reactions: 5 users
Obviously I'm sure you're aware that SUNY heavily prefers NY residents so if you haven't applied yet that would be something to consider. I'm not sure to what degree Rush prefers IL residents

Nominating this thread for worlds best derail

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 3 users
Rush prefers in state students

18% of applicants are in state and 54℅ of those interviewed are in state. That is definitely in state preference

Reactions: 2 users
I'm really surprised that only 18% of applicants are in state. That seems really low. But maybe it isn't.

Last edited:
Don't apply to schools based on reputation alone. Rush has a great location and some solid residency programs. Apply if you fit with their mission statement and their academic profile.

Rush specifically told us at the interview day that they do NOT have an in state preference, and actually prefer a good mix of states.

Sorry to bump an old topic, but I didn't want someone in the future to miss out on applying here!

Would love to hear more feedback on rush... bump

I'd say their reputations are pretty similar. IMO the branch point here is whether you ultimately want to train/live in the Northeast or the Midwest (you can do both from either but each school will have an advantage in its region).