Rush v. Einstein?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Medschooldreamin23

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm very fortunate to have been accepted to both of these schools but am having a really hard time deciding. I know a have a little bit of time left and am hoping to get some input here that might help!

I'm originally from Chicago and went to undergrad there so it definitely feels like home to me. However, I've been living and working in New York for the past couple of years and really love it here as well. I'm interested in oncology primarily (have connections in NY for this) but could also see myself going in the direction of peds or neuro, so clearly undecided haha, I'm pretty open right now!

I really liked both programs. Rush seems to really support its students, the facilities are really nice (esp the new hospital), Chicago is awesome, and some family in the area. Einstein is ranked more highly, outside of NY (which in some ways is preferable, less distractions and inexpensive living) which I love, into research/global health, I have professional connections in the area, and good friends in NY. Students seem to really love both programs which is great (Einstein is pass/fail, Rush is honors/pass/fail I believe). HOWEVER, here comes the twist, I'm thinking I want to end up in California (fam has moved there now) but probably wont end up going to med school there.

The main lifestyle downsides for me: I really hate the cold in Chicago and Einstein feels kind of isolated- not many restaurants, nightlife, coffee shops in the immediate area (maybe I'm wrong about this though...I was there in the winter and didn't really walk around).

If anyone has any insights into this and also into how much the rankings really matter, I would really appreciate it!

Good luck to everyone else out there!! Thank you so much to anyone who replies!

Members don't see this ad.

I think both are good. Rush has an excellent reputation in ortho if I'm not mistaken, so if you're interested it may be worthwhile considering that.