Rutgers GSBS Masters in Biomedical Science 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

youraverageasia

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Saw the post for Barry and thought I would do one for the Masters I'm currently in at Rutgers GSBS (previously known as UMDNJ). Post your questions and I'll answer to the best of my ability.

Members don't see this ad.

Could you expand on the things that you like about the Rutgers program as well as the things that you don't like about the program. How successful is the program in placing students into dental school? Thanks for any info, I just received my acceptance letter and i'm trying to decide if I want to attend there.

Reactions: 1 user
Sure so I think the program is really what you make of it. The reason I chose Rutgers is because you get to enroll in actual dental classes in the dental school alongside 1st yr dental students. Some of the courses include oral microbio, dental biochem, oral immunology, dental histology, and I think maybe a few more. I believe if you do well in these courses (which is very possible) you can show dental schools you have what it takes to be a dental student which will greatly increase your chances of being accepted. There are also ample amounts of research opportunities as well. The main graduate classes themselves aren't too bad either as long as you don't cram the day before the exam. Another big thing is you can do an 8 week observership, where you shadow and assist the 3rd and 4th yr dental students at the clinic.
I don't know the exact placement rates, but I'm pretty sure as long as you get above a 3.75 and your DAT isn't horrendous, you'll have a very good chance of getting in somewhere. Also I think you're guaranteed an interview here if you get above a 3.8 or something.
For negatives about the program, there really isn't much. I guess if you don't like big classes, some of the main classes like Fundamentals A or toxicology can get pretty big (around 150 students). Other then that, I would say there's not much to do around Newark and it can be dangerous if you're walking around at night by yourself but there is a lot of security patrolling the area.
All in all, I would definitely recommend the program if you need the GPA boost.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey, I was just wondering what your stats were like when you applied.

Hey I am also interested in this program. How much was the tuition? Living expenses? Any recommended off campus buildings and such? Thanks

Do you know if there are any financial aids that the International students can receive?

Hey I am also interested in this program. How much was the tuition? Living expenses? Any recommended off campus buildings and such? Thanks
Tuition is $908 per credit, and you're required 30 credits to graduate, so it comes to about $30,000 with taxes. Of course there are other fees that are required so I would estimate it to be closer to 35k. Most people live in University Centre, 180 W market street (where I currently live), or society hill. UC is very nice but pretty expensive. I think rents around 1000 a month. 180 W market street is a bit cheaper, and you're literally on campus. I dont know too much about society hill.

Do you know if there are any financial aids that the International students can receive?
To be honest I'm not sure... but I don't think there is. There's barley any financial aid for domestic students, and from what I know it's usually harder for international students.

First of all, thank you for taking the time to answer our questions.

1. What skills and study habits have you needed to adapt for this challenging program, and how have you maintained (I'm presuming) a high gpa?

2. How are the grading curves?

3. How long are you taking to complete the program, and any advice on the best duration?

First of all, thank you for taking the time to answer our questions.

1. What skills and study habits have you needed to adapt for this challenging program, and how have you maintained (I'm presuming) a high gpa?

2. How are the grading curves?

3. How long are you taking to complete the program, and any advice on the best duration?

1. It depends on the class. Some classes are very simple and straight forward, and you can definitely do well even if you cram (ex toxicology). For classes that are a bit more rigorous, I have all of my notes done on the all the lectures at least a week before the exam, and actually start memorizing then. I try to have everything memorized and 95% completed at least 1 day before the exam, so that the day before I can relax a bit and just review.

2. Grading curves for most classes are like this: 90 or above is an A, 85 - 90 is a B+, and so on. Funds A however an A is an 85 or above. Most classes stick with the 90 as an A, unless the average is unusually low.

3. I am completing the program in 2 semesters, which I think is very doable. Take 11 - 13 credits during the fall semester, and the remaining 17 in the spring. This works out because the classes in the spring are spread out, and some ends earlier than others.

I got accepted too! So what address do I send back the letter to

How did the program help you ? does it help with the MCAT/DAT in anyway as well ?