Rutgers- GSBS MBS 2014-2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sarkywarky

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys! I didn't see a thread for the Rutgers MBS yet so I decided to make one. Anyone apply and hear back from them yet? Anyone who has completed the program or is in it now and would like to share their feedback?

Members don't see this ad.

same here! I submitted mine the first week of february. What about you?

Members don't see this ad :)
I submitted late February but only became complete today. Someone here posted that they wouldn't be looking at applications until the end of this month but I didn't hear that directly from admissions

ahh okay. yeah i saw that post as well but someone also said they were accepted last thursday. :shrug:

Hope we both get good news soon then. Have you applied anywhere else?

yup. I've gotten accepted into barry so far, but Rutgers is my top choice so keeping my fingers crossed. how about you?

@cometstarg Did you get a notification that you were complete? I didn't get anything. I just wanna make sure I'm not missing anything.

I applied mid feb but I wasn't sure if they received my DAT scores because my status said my DAT scores were still self-reported. I didn't want to resend my scores so I called them in early March and they said they did receive it. When I called, that was when she told me that they would not look at applications until the end of March cause they were reviewing PhD candidates. I guess they started reviewing though if someone already got accepted.

Good luck to you both. I hope we all get in.

Reactions: 1 user
@cometstarg Did you get a notification that you were complete? I didn't get anything. I just wanna make sure I'm not missing anything.

I never got a notification but I can see that they have received the necessary materials to look at my application (letters, scores, transcripts, etc.). Hopefully I hear something positive in the next few weeks.

I applied to Newark and RWJ plus Rowan [UMDNJ] SOM and PCOM but I'm currently only complete at Rutgers.

yeah same! i never got an email. I just checked my status online and saw that they received everything. they also took a while to update my DAT scores with the official ones

Last edited:
Sweet so i should be all set.

Btw, Does anyone have any idea how many people are generally in the program per year?

Sweet so i should be all set.

Btw, Does anyone have any idea how many people are generally in the program per year?

I spoke to someone I know who completed the program last year and she said that the class size was pretty large. She said in the fundamentals 1 and 2 classes (which everyone has to take) there were about 100 people. For the more unpopular electives there were around 30 students.

I spoke to someone I know who completed the program last year and she said that the class size was pretty large. She said in the fundamentals 1 and 2 classes (which everyone has to take) there were about 100 people. For the more unpopular electives there were around 30 students.

Awesome that should increase our chances if they accept a bunch of people haha.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Applied a couple weeks ago (Newark and Piscataway campuses). I'd appreciate any feedback on my chances: 3.41 cGPA, 3.16 sGPA, 24 MCAT. Great recs and a good amount of medical experience.

Applied a couple weeks ago (Newark and Piscataway campuses). I'd appreciate any feedback on my chances: 3.41 cGPA, 3.16 sGPA, 24 MCAT. Great recs and a good amount of medical experience.
MCAT will hold you back. Probably get in but its not helping your admission chances

Yeah, based on your GPA i would think you would get in. I'm a pre-dent so I can't really say much about your MCAT score. good luck! :)

If any of you are predents, feel free to ask me any questions about the program. Currently have a 4.0 in the program and will be applying this up coming cycle.
Yes, some classes are large, but it's very easy to get to know the professors personally for an LOR.

Lot's of my classmates have gotten into NYU, Nova, and BU. Few have gotten into Rutgers.

If any of you are predents, feel free to ask me any questions about the program. Currently have a 4.0 in the program and will be applying this up coming cycle.
Yes, some classes are large, but it's very easy to get to know the professors personally for an LOR.

Lot's of my classmates have gotten into NYU, Nova, and BU. Few have gotten into Rutgers.

Hi,
I'm a predent and I applied to the program in early february. Are you in the dental scholars program? How large is the class size? Also, what do you think are the pros and cons of the program?

Hello, yes in the Dental Scholars program. Class size is around 50-70 depending on how popular the class is.

Pros: The program is excellent to build your study skills, see if Dentistry really is for you by taking Dental School classes, and the ability to interact with D1 and D2 classmates. I took Oral Microbiology in the Fall and received a 95. However, there are some grad students who only finished with an 84, a B. So it really depends on the person. I am by no means a genius, I just ensure I look over the lecture right away and take notes. I make sure to ask questions if I have any. All the professors are SUPER helpful and know that you want LORs from them too. All you have to do, is get an A in every class, and it is very doable.
Did I mention already you can take dental school classes and if you receive a B or higher, you can be exempt from the class if you attend Rutgers School of Dental Medicine?
Classes you can take: Oral Microbiology, Oral Immunology, Dental Materials, Dental Histology, Dental Biochemistry, Dental Physiology.

Cons: Newark is very urban, can be a shock to kids from undergrad. However, you can always hop onto a train for only a few dollars to NYC if you want to relax or get away from Newark for a weekend.
You are not guaranteed an interview if you do well in the program with Rutgers. However, the chances are increased significantly. This is my only real gripe with the program.

Reactions: 4 users
Hello, yes in the Dental Scholars program. Class size is around 50-70 depending on how popular the class is.

Pros: The program is excellent to build your study skills, see if Dentistry really is for you by taking Dental School classes, and the ability to interact with D1 and D2 classmates. I took Oral Microbiology in the Fall and received a 95. However, there are some grad students who only finished with an 84, a B. So it really depends on the person. I am by no means a genius, I just ensure I look over the lecture right away and take notes. I make sure to ask questions if I have any. All the professors are SUPER helpful and know that you want LORs from them too. All you have to do, is get an A in every class, and it is very doable.
Did I mention already you can take dental school classes and if you receive a B or higher, you can be exempt from the class if you attend Rutgers School of Dental Medicine?
Classes you can take: Oral Microbiology, Oral Immunology, Dental Materials, Dental Histology, Dental Biochemistry, Dental Physiology.

Cons: Newark is very urban, can be a shock to kids from undergrad. However, you can always hop onto a train for only a few dollars to NYC if you want to relax or get away from Newark for a weekend.
You are not guaranteed an interview if you do well in the program with Rutgers. However, the chances are increased significantly. This is my only real gripe with the program.

Do you happen to know how many are in the medical scholars? Also you said that you know of a few that got into Rutgers after the program, do you happen to know (roughly) what percentage of people get interviews for the medical school?

Do you happen to know how many are in the medical scholars? Also you said that you know of a few that got into Rutgers after the program, do you happen to know (roughly) what percentage of people get interviews for the medical school?
As far as I know they dont publish those numbers - but in my class there are about 10 people who were in the GSBS at some point

Does anyone know if the MS course credits taken will transfer into medical school if we get accepted?

Also, I got an informal email saying I was accepted after they asked for an official MCAT report. Official acceptance letters are forthcoming..

Does anyone know if the MS course credits taken will transfer into medical school if we get accepted?

Also, I got an informal email saying I was accepted after they asked for an official MCAT report. Official acceptance letters are forthcoming..
They typically only let you skip MGM - which is the first class of medical school.

I have heard of ppl skipping physio if they took that with the med students - but never both.

If you don't mind me asking, when did you apply?

I got a similar email from them about an official MCAT report, but there's no mention about an acceptance. I'm looking at my application status, and my transcript hasn't even been received yet. So I guess I still gotta wait my turn.. :x
Nevertheless, it seems like they're pretty active with those applications this week. Exciting!

I got a similar email from them about an official MCAT report, but there's no mention about an acceptance. I'm looking at my application status, and my transcript hasn't even been received yet. So I guess I still gotta wait my turn.. :x
Nevertheless, it seems like they're pretty active with those applications this week. Exciting!

In a similar boat as many of you. However, I haven't received any emails yet :( All of my materials are listed as received except my MCAT which still says self-reported even though I sent my official (THx) scores to them weeks ago. Hope to hear back shortly from admissions. Have any of you tried to contact their office yet about the status of your application? Anyhoo, good luck to everyone applying and congrats to those who've already been accepted!

In a similar boat as many of you. However, I haven't received any emails yet :( All of my materials are listed as received except my MCAT which still says self-reported even though I sent my official (THx) scores to them weeks ago. Hope to hear back shortly from admissions. Have any of you tried to contact their office yet about the status of your application? Anyhoo, good luck to everyone applying and congrats to those who've already been accepted!

I would call the office. I had my DAT scores sent back in January and my status said self-reported up until a few weeks ago even though all the other schools I applied to had received the official report. Turns out that someone had misplaced it and so it didn't get uploaded.

Maybe because I asked if I was missing anything else. She said the reason why thy are asking for verification report Is for acceptances. Idk don't take my word for it.. I'm sure we will be officially notified very soon.

me got a similar email from them about an official MCAT report, but there's no mention about an acceptance. me are looking at my application status, and my transcript hasn't even been received yet. So me guess me still gotta wait my turn.. :x
M

How do you know this? If you take both, I don't see why thy wouldn't let u skip both..

They typically only let you skip MGM - which is the first class of medical school.

me have heard of ppl skipping physio if they took that with the med students - but never both.
ow do y

In a similar boat as many of you. However, me haven't received any emails yet :( All of my materials are listed as received except my MCAT which still says self-reported even though me sent my official (THx) scores to them weeks ago. Hope to hear back shortly from admissions. Have any of you treid to contact their office yet about the status of your application? Anyhoo, good luck to everyone applying and congrats to those who've already been accepted!

me would call the office. me had my DAT scores sent back in January and my status said self-reported up until a few weeks ago even though all the other schools me appleid to had received the official report. Turns out that someone had misplaced it and so it didn't get uploaded.

I think I need to call them too. My DAT scores are still self-reported even though I applied in mid Feb. I know they have my scores because i called in early march and they said they got them. That was like 4 weeks ago! I hope they didn't misplace mine too. Do you guys think I should call??

I would call the office. I had my DAT scores sent back in January and my status said self-reported up until a few weeks ago even though all the other schools I applied to had received the official report. Turns out that someone had misplaced it and so it didn't get uploaded.

I just e-mailed yesterday and they confirmed this morning that they have all my materials and will be reviewing shortly. So I'm hoping to hear back within the next 3 weeks. Does anyone have any have information or advice on the medical track for this program?

I just e-mailed yesterday and they confirmed this morning that they have all my materials and will be reviewing shortly. So I'm hoping to hear back within the next 3 weeks. Does anyone have any have information or advice on the medical track for this program?

Hi, which email did you send to? I emailed them last week but they never responded

Accepted (Newark). On the other hand, New Brunswick is slower than molasses...

Reactions: 2 users
Hi, which email did you send to? I emailed them last week but they never responded

Sorry for not getting back. I emailed them at:

[email protected]

This was for the Piscataway campus. I think their email may be outdated. I emailed an other address and it re-directed me to this email address. Not sure if this applies to both though.

Hey Everyone!

So I applied to the program about two weeks ago. They received all my materials but like some of you my MCAT scores still says "self reported." When I called today, and ask the admissions representative about whether or not they received my scores, she told me that the program doesn't take MCAT scores, even though it's mentioned so on their site, and that if I had MCAT thx send my score report, they should have already gotten it. After explaining to the representative that MCAT scores are required for admission to the MBS program, she then understood and told me my scores were "self reported" (something that I already knew) and told me to call back next week. She never gave me a straight answer as to whether or not they received my scores.

I was wondering if anyone experienced a similar situation. Also, does anyone have an idea of when they start sending out acceptances?

Hey Everyone!

So I applied to the program about two weeks ago. They received all my materials but like some of you my MCAT scores still says "self reported." When I called today, and ask the admissions representative about whether or not they received my scores, she told me that the program doesn't take MCAT scores, even though it's mentioned so on their site, and that if I had MCAT thx send my score report, they should have already gotten it. After explaining to the representative that MCAT scores are required for admission to the MBS program, she then understood and told me my scores were "self reported" (something that I already knew) and told me to call back next week. She never gave me a straight answer as to whether or not they received my scores.

I was wondering if anyone experienced a similar situation. Also, does anyone have an idea of when they start sending out acceptances?

Rutgers admissions doesn't seem like they have their ducks in a row exactly. When I got my acceptance from Newark last week, 2 of my 3 transcripts were supposedly not received, I'm in the same exact situation as you with the MCAT score, and the decision link still read "No Decision"; in fact, all 3 of things are still the case TODAY. So my impression is that they don't really update the online accounts as they should. You just have to wait patiently for emails from them for any kind of updates I suppose.

I wish I could say that phone calls are the way to go, but they were all really rude to me whenever I wanted to check on something or had a question. For instance:
Me: Hello, I have a question about [admissions].
Rutgers: What? (as in... What's your question?...in the surliest attitude)

And another:
Me: Hello, I have a question abou--
Rutgers: *interrupting me* What do you want? (different voice, but same surly attitude)

I'm definitely going to visit this school before I choose to go here; I really hope admissions is not any kind of reflection of the program itself.

Rutgers admissions doesn't seem like they have their ducks in a row exactly. When I got my acceptance from Newark last week, 2 of my 3 transcripts were supposedly not received, I'm in the same exact situation as you with the MCAT score, and the decision link still read "No Decision"; in fact, all 3 of things are still the case TODAY. So my impression is that they don't really update the online accounts as they should. You just have to wait patiently for emails from them for any kind of updates I suppose.

I wish I could say that phone calls are the way to go, but they were all really rude to me whenever I wanted to check on something or had a question. For instance:

And another:
Rutgers: *interrupting me* What do you want? (different voice, but same surly attitude)

I'm definitely going to visit this school before I choose to go here; I really hope admissions is not any kind of reflection of the program itself.

Ya no I totally agree. I haven't had the best experiences when calling either. My phones calls has been rushed also and I always get the feeling that they are annoyed when anyone calls asking about whether or not they have received something :-/.

And another:

wait, so you got accepted and it still says no decision? Did they notify you of your acceptance via email?
I'm starting to get worried. I applied on Feb 3rd and still haven't heard back from them. I'm really hoping they answer soon or else i'll have to put a deposit down for another school :/

Hey guys! I didn't see a thread for the Rutgers MBS yet so I decided to make one. Anyone apply and hear back from them yet? Anyone who has completed the program or is in it now and would like to share their feedback?

Just got accepted! Still waiting on the Piscataway campus to reply.

Reactions: 3 users

And another:

I had a similar situation for the Newark campus. Website is not reflective of your most recent status.
Just waiting to hear back from the Piscataway campus.

Just got accepted today via e-mail! The e-mail also said they will be sending an official letter in the mail. This was for the Piscataway campus. Good luck to everyone else!! :)

Reactions: 1 users
Just got accepted today via e-mail! The e-mail also said they will be sending an official letter in the mail. This was for the Piscataway campus. Good luck to everyone else!! :)

Congrats! When were you complete?

congrats!! When did you apply?

congrats!! When did you apply?

@kaygeebee My transcripts took forever to get sent but I completed the applications with all the supporting materials around the last week of March or so. If you have any other questions feel free to PM me

Last edited:
@kaygeebee My transcripts took forever to get sent but I completed the applications with all the supporting materials around the last week of March or so. If you have any other questions feel free to PM me

Congrats that you got in! Do you mind telling us you GPA/MCAT?