Rutgers- GSBS MBS 2014-2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
@persistentpremed don't think there is a good or bad time, generally there is more then enough spots. @premedgrl1 I would write them a follow up, you never know people may still reject an offer. Also, If you don't mind sharing, what was your GPA/MCAT
Thanks me. Wiggles!

And @premedgrl1: So I had spoken with a person from njms med school when I applied to this smp and she told me that you can ask the smp to give you a trial period and you would take classes and depending on your grades they would let you matriculate. This way you wouldn't lose time either. I gave up my seat so hope that works in your favor too. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
@persistentpremed don't think there is a good or bad time, generally there is more then enough spots. @premedgrl1 I would write them a follow up, you never know people may still reject an offer. Also, If you don't mind sharing, what was your GPA/MCAT
gpa was a 3.0. I had a very difficult time in college with personal family issues, which I explained in my personal statement. I have not taken the mcat yet (taking it in October) I took the gre though, score was on the low side so maybe that was what did it...

I've emailed 2x (well over a week ago), called 2x, no response for either as to whether my application is complete. I'm about to ask for a refund...

I didn't hear back from them until almost three months later. During this time I emailed and called several times (after my application was complete) and they kept saying that they received my materials, but a decision had not yet been made. On Thursday I got an email asking for a copy of my official MCAT score report and about two hours later I received an acceptance email. I'll be turning it down since I plan on attending PCOM's program, so hopefully that opens up a spot for someone that needs it.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
gpa was a 3.0. I had a very difficult time in college with personal family issues, which I explained in my personal statement. I have not taken the mcat yet (taking it in October) I took the gre though, score was on the low side so maybe that was what did it...
Low GPA + low GRE + no MCAT.... you realize you arent a good applicant for most SMPs like that right?

Hi guys!

I just got my acceptance letter today for newark! I'm so excited!! Anyone else out of state looking for a place to live? I visited last year before I applied and the area seemed super unsafe, so I'm thinking of a little outside of Newark! Let me know!

:)

Hi guys!

I just got my acceptance letter today for newark! I'm so excited!! Anyone else out of state looking for a place to live? I visited last year before I applied and the area seemed super unsafe, so I'm thinking of a little outside of Newark! Let me know!

:)
Live in 180 W.Market like 95% of the GSBS, MS1 and MS2s

I didn't hear back from them until almost three months later. During this time I emailed and called several times (after my application was complete) and they kept saying that they received my materials, but a decision had not yet been made. On Thursday I got an email asking for a copy of my official MCAT score report and about two hours later I received an acceptance email. I'll be turning it down since I plan on attending PCOM's program, so hopefully that opens up a spot for someone that needs it.
Hi there. This is my first time posting here. I was curious. What email address did you send your questions to, regarding your application status? All my materials have been accepted and my official MCAT score was sent about 2 weeks ago and I still have not received a decision.

I just got my acceptance email today and was wondering if anyone is looking for a female roommate. I am from out of state so I have no idea where to start looking.

Accepted yesterday! :banana:Still waiting to hear back from BU and Tufts before making a decision but the cost at NJMS is unbeatable...wondering how easy it would be to get student housing on campus?

Accepted yesterday! :banana:Still waiting to hear back from BU and Tufts before making a decision but the cost at NJMS is unbeatable...wondering how easy it would be to get student housing on campus?

I recently got accepted as well and decided that I will be going to Rutgers. I have looked into several housing options and honestly---it was a huge headache. But I finally decided on just doing the graduate residential living at 180 west market. Its right on campus, fees are covered either through academic year plan or full calendar year plan, its safe, and they have options for 2 bedrooms, 3 bedrooms etc. 2 bedroom is about $925/month. You fill out the application here: https://oncampus.rutgers.edu/studentweb/Login.asp?TargetPage=Default.asp?

Make sure you have made your NetID--once your deposit is in-- and you have given it about 2 days to become active when you make it--otherwise call them. This residential housing wants a $200 deposit at the time of application and there is a cancellation fee if you decide not to live there. If you sign up as soon as possible, you are likely to get a room assignment--Otherwise, spots can fill up. So at least getting your housing application IN is very crucial.

Other option I really considered was University center: the two bed/1 bath is $989/month. Expensive, yet includes gym and a lot of other amenities. You fill out an application on their website and can request roommates etc and secure your spot at least. Its still close to campus, but not as close as west market. Also, west market falls under "on-campus" living for those who are looking into financial aid. University Center falls under "off-campus." These two just seemed like the best fit for those coming from out of state!

I recently got accepted as well and decided that I will be going to Rutgers. I have looked into several housing options and honestly---it was a huge headache. But I finally decided on just doing the graduate residential living at 180 west market. Its right on campus, fees are covered either through academic year plan or full calendar year plan, its safe, and they have options for 2 bedrooms, 3 bedrooms etc. 2 bedroom is about $925/month. You fill out the application here: https://oncampus.rutgers.edu/studentweb/Login.asp?TargetPage=Default.asp?

Make sure you have made your NetID--once your deposit is in-- and you have given it about 2 days to become active when you make it--otherwise call them. This residential housing wants a $200 deposit at the time of application and there is a cancellation fee if you decide not to live there. If you sign up as soon as possible, you are likely to get a room assignment--Otherwise, spots can fill up. So at least getting your housing application IN is very crucial.

Other option I really considered was University center: the two bed/1 bath is $989/month. Expensive, yet includes gym and a lot of other amenities. You fill out an application on their website and can request roommates etc and secure your spot at least. Its still close to campus, but not as close as west market. Also, west market falls under "on-campus" living for those who are looking into financial aid. University Center falls under "off-campus." These two just seemed like the best fit for those coming from out of state!
I dont know anyone who lived in Univ Center. Its almost entirely undergrad Rutgers and NJIT.

whoa! thanks for the info, this is helpful to know.

Members don't see this ad :)
Society Hill is another option that I'm glad I did. 24/7 security and my room mates liked to study. No loud parties, mean gunners, or crazy kids who can't handle stress.

I noticed some people had questions about housing, I would recommend craigslist, under rooms/shares or apartments for options in NJ. Society Hill along with Forest Hill are cheaper and safe places to live.

I opted for Forest Hill this time around since I did not like the Pathmark and Family Dollar that are close to the school. I don't have a car, so those were my main destinations for grocery needs.
Majority of people in Forest Hill are Portuguese or of Spanish origin and are middle class families. It's a 20 minute bus ride from school to Forest Hill, but I don't mind paying the extra few dollars (~$40 monthly pass) if I can go outside for a jog after 5pm and still feel safe as a female.

I will say that it is a shame that Newark is the way that it is... if I'm accepted to RSDM I'm going to make sure I spend some time helping the community. There are a lot of students like myself who want to help, but I do find it strange of how mean some of the students are with regards to the Newark community. If you are going to be studying to be a dentist or a doctor, you would think some compassion would accompany that huge resume/gpa required for acceptance... I dunno, maybe I'm crazy.

Thank you @Applesandteeth for sharing. I completely agree with you about the lack of compassion some people already in the medical field and those going into it have. I am don't get it, but I guess each his/her own. I pray everyday that God blesses me to become a doc, but I sure do have goals and aspirations to make a difference in this world. Best of luck!!!

Hi all! I was recently accepted to Rutgers Newark/NJMS for the MSBS with Medical Scholars! I am still waiting to hear back from other schools, but this program seems great :)

Question for any other Medical Scholars here: Do you know how successful these students are in getting into med school? I see that you get a guaranteed interview with NJMS contingent on your grades/MCAT which seems great but how much of a leg up does that give you?

Also, I was wondering, how are the apartments at 180 W Market? I prefer my own place to live, but also want to meet and hang out with the other graduate/medical students.

Hey everyone, doesn't look like i'll be able to buy a car anytime soon. I was wondering, which on campus living is the best, opinions are welcomed. I would like something close to class (5-10min walking) and somewhere with amenities (gym, study rooms, dining halls, etc.) I don't know much of the area (Piscataway) so any advise is welcome. Also, the how does one get to the Piscataway campus from Laguardia Airport or vice versa. Thanks guys, hope to see you all soon.

Hey guys a little late but I've also been accepted into the program! For the other dental scholars who are thinking of completing the program in 2 semesters, do you guys know anyone who did it and how difficult it was?

Hi Dental Scholars applicants,

Since many of you have been sending PMs about course selection and advice, I just want to remind you all that you can e-mail Dr. Tsiagbe or Dr. Kadouri who are advisers for the Dental Scholars program.

Dr. Tsiagbe is incredibly busy right now because of applications to RSDM. I highly recommend NOT e-mailing him at this time.

Dr. Kadouri actually wants students to ask him for advice. He also teaches Oral Microbiology (D1 course) in the Fall, and I know many of you are interested in enrolling in it. (There is no enrollment restriction.)
His e-mail is [email protected] and is good about replying within a few hours.

Just to put in my two cents....the dental scholar program is really doable! One can easily get straight A's, a 4.0 gpa, if one puts the work into it. I really enjoyed the program and faculty members are really helpful! Enjoy it and take full advantage of it! :)

Anyone else nervous (Rutgers MBS Piscataway)? Excited but nervous as well

3.3 cum
3.2 bcpm
26 mcat

For those that are currently in the program/have finished it in the past should I look into taking the GRE? or is a 26 sufficient for the program? My plan would be to apply with the 26 while studying to retake the 2015 exam in may-june
You should take the MCAT. Its what this program is designed for, and you have to re-take it again anyways

Hey!!

So I am applying for the Masters Program for 2015-2016 (Medical Scholars ) for both Newark and the Piscataway campus.

My issue is I'm really afraid I don't have any chance of getting in?

sGPA- 3.1
cGPA- 3.3

MCAT- 19 (I am retaking the new 2015 exam and so those scores wont be able to be submitted)

400+ hours of stemcell research
Many leadership positions held

Do I have any chance of getting accepted?

Hey!!

So I am applying for the Masters Program for 2015-2016 (Medical Scholars ) for both Newark and the Piscataway campus.

My issue is I'm really afraid I don't have any chance of getting in?

sGPA- 3.1
cGPA- 3.3

MCAT- 19 (I am retaking the new 2015 exam and so those scores wont be able to be submitted)

400+ hours of stemcell research
Many leadership positions held

Do I have any chance of getting accepted?
Do not double post - answered in your other thread

Hey guys just wondering, what are your MCAT stats of accepted students? And how heavily does MCAT weigh on acceptance to the program? I ask because my MCAT score is terribly low but my gpa and extracurriculars are great.

Hi I'm also applying for 2015-2016 for both campuses and am curious about MCAT stats. Can someone chime in on the average for matriculants?

Was anyone accepted last year that wasn't a NJ resident? Thank you

Any idea when acceptances start rolling out? My application should be complete by late February/early March, just waiting on one letter right now.

3.3c/3.2s
26mcat

thanks.

I got an acceptance email today if that helps. Complete 2/28

Does anyone know the acceptance rate of their GSBS medical scholars into NJMS? thanks in advance!

Thanks! Do you mind sharing your stats? I'm waiting for my professors to upload their letters to the form now. After that everything should be complete. Just to make sure for the mcat scores did you just take a picture of your score with the verification code/AAMC id # and then upload it to the supporting materials page? The instructions were kind of unclear.

3.5 gpa, 3.2ish sgpa, 24 mcat. I took a clean screenshot of the mcat report and uploaded on the supplementary material page as unofficial. then i sent an official mcat report through MCAT THx.

I got an acceptance for the MBS

Is it in PISCATAWAY? I am sooo confused. Or did I apply tot he one is piscataway? HELP!

I am sending my deposit but I am still waiting on a couple of MD schools so fingers crossed but Rutgers is an awesome plan B

I got an acceptance for the MBS

Is it in PISCATAWAY? I am sooo confused. Or did I apply tot he one is piscataway? HELP!

I am sending my deposit but I am still waiting on a couple of MD schools so fingers crossed but Rutgers is an awesome plan B
There are two. One in Newark and one in New Brunswick/Piscataway - just like there are two med schools

There are two. One in Newark and one in New Brunswick/Piscataway - just like there are two med schools

I get it now

I guess I applied to the wrong one. Piscataway is expensive.
Ugh.

I got an acceptance today for the New Brunswick piscataaway and I also got accepted to EVMS post bacc what to do ??? Need help !!

I got an acceptance today for the New Brunswick piscataaway and I also got accepted to EVMS post bacc what to do ??? Need help !!

I say go for the ones that meets your need better: location, money, classes, etc.

Anyone have any opinions on Piscataway vs Newark? I've done a good amount of research and there's not much info out there comparing the two. I know Newark is older and more established but that's about it.

I did not find anything in those regards either. I actually thought it was ONE program.

does anyone know if i can apply to both the piscataway and newark mbs programs? just completed newark today.

Above^ Didn't attend rutgers for undergrad but I'd assume yo'd have to create a new pin/id for the grad program? Typically how it works in most schools but im not sure.

Also question for those that already applied: for supporting documents I uploaded a CV/resume, my unofficial transcript, and unofficial MCAT scores. Should I upload the personal statement I wrote for the program? (I already entered it in the personal statement section when i initially applied)

What is the success rate attending the program?

Can someone post a timeline of the medical scholars program? Do you end up with gap year?

i was accepted to this program and It is currently my only acceptance. I should be happy but I am not? I am grateful but really, I dont want another gap year. UGH I am ready to begin a career. Damn you Organic Chemistry.

If you apply once this cycle opens up in June then no. But if you want to apply after you've completed the full 1 year program then yes.

Is there a advantage or disadvantage either way.

Has anyone applied the cycle that they are attending? I was thinking of sending my grades and new mcat score way into the cycle, as an update. I really dont want another gap year.

When I researched the program - it looked about to be 50% success rate (of people who voluntarily responded). Anyone with a 3.5+ GPA in the program and a certain MCAT (30 I think) will get an interview (Medical Scholars Program - Newark location Rutgers GSBS).

What is the success rate attending the program?

you aren't getting into MD schools with a 26 or 27, so feel free to send your grades in. Makes no diff. You will need to retake the mcat if u want MD