Rutgers GSBS MBS Newark 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

natep

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Folks,

I was just accepted to the Rutgers MBS Dental Scholars Program. I am still waiting to hear back from Tufts, Regis, and Tulane Biochem masters, but right now I am leaning toward Rutgers. I would love to connect with some others who are planning to attend this program as well.

Does anybody have any suggestions on housing?

I had a 3.15 GPA 2.96 sGPA and a my DAT was a 20AA. My dental experiences include over 300 hours working, volunteering, and shadowing. Hopefully this helps some people with their decisions to apply.

If a current student can chime in and comment on some of the pros and cons, it would be much appreciated. Good luck with applying!

Members don't see this ad.

congrats!! still waiting to hear back but just wondering when did u apply?

So far, I've been wait listed for the medical scholars program in Piscataway, but nothing negative was written on my file (according to the admission's contact):bullcrap:. So i'm staying hopeful! Maybe I'll find out soon:)

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
congrats!! still waiting to hear back but just wondering when did u apply?

I submitted my application on 3/13. I requested 3 LOR's (pretty certain Rutgers MBS only requires 2) from professors and was accepted on 4/13 with one LOR missing. I definitely think it is still early. Good luck on your acceptance status and keep me posted!

I know you guys are talking about the dental scholars program, but does anyone know the average stats for the medical scholars program? I have a 3.2 uGpa, 3.1 sgpa. Taking an mcat tmrw for the sake of having an mcat score to apply with for masters. Going to take it again in august putting in a lot more effort.

Good luck to all applying.

I know that Piscataway allows you to use Interfolio to send LORs. Does anyone know whether the same is true for Newark?

I personally used their application portal to send the LOR requests to my professors but I assume they accept interfolio as well. I would suggest getting in touch with someone at the Newark admissions office. They were extremely helpful when I called in.

I have a private furnished room for rent $675 plus utilities in Society Hill, shared bath. 5 mins walk to Rutgers Medical School (Newark), where the classes will be. The grocery store, Shop Rite, is 3 mins walk. 10 mins walk to Penn Station/Path to NYC, which is 20 mins away. It's very convenient and perfect for grad student!! PM for more details

Just accepted my offer to the Newark MBS medical scholars program and figured I finally make an account on here. Anyone else confirmed for Rutgers GSBS? Also, any insight into finding rooms/roommates for off campus would be greatly appreciated. I searched craigslist but its basically a crap shoot, would much rather prefer living with students in the program.

Was very excited when i found out i got accepted into dental scholars MBS programI I think i applied early march and was accepted just last week. Was also accepted into University of Maryland's (medical school GPLS), and wake forest. Does anyone know much about Marylands cellular and molecular biomedical sciences program and wake forests cellular and molecular biomedical science program?

Rutgers GSBS MBS program was among my top choice from the beginning. I am leaning towards here :) I have no idea where to live, I know it is not the best area. I will have my eyes peeled for other comments involving living options for this program

Hi,

I just started my application for Rutgers MBS. Is it too late in the application cycle to apply? I took my MCAT last month, so I figured I would wait till I get my score. Does anyone know if it is doable to finish in 1 year?

Hey guys

I also just got accepted to the program! I was waitlisted for BU and Midwestern and still waiting for Tufts to get back to me so I will most likely be attending Rutgers MBS in the fall.

Does anyone know if there is a facebook page for the program yet? Also if any current or previous students can give any information about the program regarding to what they thought of it, how classes are, and living in/around Newark would be much appreciated.

Good luck to everyone still applying or waiting to hear back

I'm accepted for dental scholar as well! At this point, I'm deciding between LECOM and Rutgers. I know LECOM has contingent acceptances to their dental school but does Rutgers offer something similar? I read the dental scholar FAQ on the website but the perspective from a previous/current dental scholar would be greatly appreciated.

I'm accepted for dental scholar as well! At this point, I'm deciding between LECOM and Rutgers. I know LECOM has contingent acceptances to their dental school but does Rutgers offer something similar? I read the dental scholar FAQ on the website but the perspective from a previous/current dental scholar would be greatly appreciated.

What's your gpa and dat score?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys,

I got into the Rutgers Newark GSBS MBS for the medical track and was denied for the one in Piscataway. I am waiting to hear back from PCOM, LECOM, and Mercer but I think I will be leaning to Rutgers! :)

Good luck to others still applying or waiting to hear back!

What's your gpa and dat score?

Sorry for the late reply! cGPA: 3.3 sGPA: 3.0 DAT: 19AA 19 TS 23 PAT

At this point, I'm trying to find a school that has the highest chance of linking into dental school. LECOM seems like a safe choice because Rutgers seem to favor in-state and is more strict on inviting MBS students to dental school.

Hey everyone. I just recently accepted an offer of admission for Newark MBS Medical Scholars program. I haven't yet heard back from their financial aid and when I called, I got different answers. Last time, they told me that they won't create the award letter until the classes are finalized. Is that the case for all of you? Are you still waiting to hear back from their financial aid as well?

Hey everyone. I just recently accepted an offer of admission for Newark MBS Medical Scholars program. I haven't yet heard back from their financial aid and when I called, I got different answers. Last time, they told me that they won't create the award letter until the classes are finalized. Is that the case for all of you? Are you still waiting to hear back from their financial aid as well?
Yes, I am. I did my FAFSA a while ago like in February and then I got an acceptance letter last Monday and then my financial aid letter yesterday. The letter asked me to apply for it on their website and that is all :/.

^ I had to do that too! Make sure you don't have any outstanding documents. I did and had to go drop them off at their financial aid office.

Reactions: 1 user
I am still waiting to hear back as well!

Just got accepted into the Newark Med Scholars program! If anyone is looking for a roommate, let me know! I'm living in NYC atm. Also, is there a Facebook page made already? Can't wait to meet everyone!

I'm looking for a roommate. Did you find a place yet?
Just got accepted into the Newark Med Scholars program! If anyone is looking for a roommate, let me know! I'm living in NYC atm. Also, is there a Facebook page made already? Can't wait to meet everyone!

Does anyone know if Newark is easier to get into? I got wait listed at Piscataway but I just applied to Newark today. I'm hoping for the best!

Does anyone know if Newark is easier to get into? I got wait listed at Piscataway but I just applied to Newark today. I'm hoping for the best!

Piscataway is more selective and difficult to get into. I got accepted there and am withdrawing my acceptance, hopefully you'll get my spot!

Hi guys! I'm just finishing up my second semester in this program, on the dental scholars track. If anyone has any questions feel free to PM me

Hi guys! I'm just finishing up my second semester in this program, on the dental scholars track. If anyone has any questions feel free to PM me

Are there many students that get into dental schools after 1st semester of the program?
I'm starting my SMP this fall and trying to figure out if i should submit now or later :)

Are there many students that get into dental schools after 1st semester of the program?
I'm starting my SMP this fall and trying to figure out if i should submit now or later :)
Almost all of my friends that did well during the first semester got accepted to a school. Most schools will just wait for your first semester grades before interviewing/making a decision. Apply as early as possible!

Hey guys i was accepted to both Rutgers MBS and TUFTS MBS program... I am applying to dental school this cycle as well so I'm trying to decide which is better for dental school and gives me the best chance to get in.

Is there a good contact person for the Newark medical scholars program, in regards to admissions? I don't think the lady likes that I call so often, and she doesn't really give me any information.

Anyone looking for a roommate? I'm in the dental scholars track and looking to get graduate housing!

Almost all of my friends that did well during the first semester got accepted to a school. Most schools will just wait for your first semester grades before interviewing/making a decision. Apply as early as possible!
Wow that's awesome! Were your friends already on good undergraduate standing with their gpa? Or did they do well on the DAT and the first semester of the program to impress dental schools?

I'm excited to start the medical scholars program and I'm looking for a roomie! Also, are y'all considering any of the academic concentrations?

im a dental scholar... wanted to know if anyone is applying to dental school this cycle and what classes they are planning to take. I wanted to get an idea cause i need to put my planned coursework on the AADSAS app

I am also doing the medical scholars program in the fall!

for anyone interested in joining this year's facebook group contact sierra and she'll add you its a private group. also for applying to dental school ask her the contacts as well I think there are two rutgers staff responsible for giving recommendations for when to apply

Hey guys Im looking for a roommate or roommates, I am planning on attending rutgers MBS in the fall and i am on the dental scholars track. I would like to be walking distance to the campus. I am a male, like going to the gym and will occasionally go out if possible, i know NYC is close by. Im looking to move in july or august. Message me and we can get in contact, I've been looking into apartments and if theres 3 of us, maybe a house.

Wow that's awesome! Were your friends already on good undergraduate standing with their gpa? Or did they do well on the DAT and the first semester of the program to impress dental schools?
Their undergrad GPAs varied, it was mostly based on their performance first semester in the program

Just got my acceptance letter to the Medical Scholars program in Newark!! Sending my deposit first thing Monday morning! Can't wait to see you all in August!!!

Reactions: 3 users
anybody know any information about the encamps housing 180 west market street? I heard its walking distance to the MBS program, has studios to 3 bedroom places, and a gym inside the building? just trying to see what the best living situation is so if anyone has suggestions...

Hello everyone! I got my acceptance email on Friday! :soexcited:
Does anyone know if they send a package via mail? I'm also looking to live in the 180 West Market St housing. I found pricing information, however, couldn't find many details regarding the amenities in the building.
Also, do you guys have an idea when classes begin?
Thank you and I'm so excited to see everyone in the fall!!!

Hello everyone! I got my acceptance email on Friday! :soexcited:
Does anyone know if they send a package via mail? I'm also looking to live in the 180 West Market St housing. I found pricing information, however, couldn't find many details regarding the amenities in the building.
Also, do you guys have an idea when classes begin?
Thank you and I'm so excited to see everyone in the fall!!!
Hey could you tell me your stats?? I'm still waiting on mine

I was just accepted into the Piscataway program and wanted to know if anyone has the link for the Facebook thread or any tips on where to find housing!!

Hi guys!
Congrats to everyone who got accepted. I am a second year gsbs student at Newark campus. I am looking for a female roommate for a two bdr townhouse in society hill. It is less than 4 minute walk to Rutgers Grad Campus. Society hill has 24/7 patrolling security which is really great in Newark!
The apt is a duplex with a full laundry,dishwasher, 2.5 baths (you'll have a full bath right by your room to yourself), a balcony, fireplace, and driveway. PM me for more info if you're interested.

In terms of graduate housing, I believe most GSBS students either live in 180 Market or 15 Washington. (15 Washington is the newer university affiliated graduate apartment)