Rutgers GSBS MBS Newark 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I got an email saying that it's from 9AM-12PM on Sunday, August 7th.

Lol yea, I got it just after I sent the question

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Did anyone get an email about orientation schedule? :(

Hey guys,

I applied to Newark on 6/13 and was complete by 6/22. I haven't heard anything back yet. I spoke to Leslie last Wednesday and she said whoever is in charge of admissions has not got to some applications yet. Does anyone recommend speaking to anyone else over there? I am out of state so I am hoping to get a decision ASAP so I can making housing arrangements if I am admitted.

Hey, have you heard anything as of yet? I'm still waiting. Haha. I'll probably call again at the end of the week. If orientation is in 2 weeks, we would have to hear something soon...I just hope its not a "no" for those who applied late. :(

Members don't see this ad :)
I haven't heard anything about orientation yet, either.

I'm still trying to get my housing and immunizations figured out... Does anyone know if they'll still let you register for classes with just one PPD (TB test)? I got my decision pretty late, so I might not be able to do the required two-step before the orientation. I'm a bit nervous about housing availability :(

I haven't heard anything about orientation yet, either.

I'm still trying to get my housing and immunizations figured out... Does anyone know if they'll still let you register for classes with just one PPD (TB test)? I got my decision pretty late, so I might not be able to do the required two-step before the orientation. I'm a bit nervous about housing availability :(
Have you tried Craigslist for the housing?

https://newjersey.craigslist.org/search/roo?query=newark

It seems like there are plenty houses available near Rutgers including society hills

Have you tried Craigslist for the housing?

https://newjersey.craigslist.org/search/roo?query=newark

It seems like there are plenty houses available near Rutgers including society hills
Thanks for the link! I'm actually hoping to live on campus at 180 Market (if there's any space left there... or at 15 Washington).
I've looked at University Centre as a backup plan, but decided against it after seeing all the bad reviews on Yelp. I haven't looked at Society Hill yet, though.

Is there by any chance a current or past GSBS student who'd be willing to answer some questions (possibly a lot of questions) about studying/educational resources, student life & interaction, the local area, and so on?

Also, success! I had the same problem as others trying to sign up for housing (reslife website wouldn't let me log on). I was directed to e-mail my info, but I called again today to follow up and got everything resolved.

If anyone has applied for on-campus housing in June/July, how long did you have to wait before getting a room assignment?

Last edited:
Hey guys!

I got accepted into Rutgers Newark Medical Scholars program, Piscataway's GSBS and Rowan's GSBS. Anyone have advice on which is better, why and if medical schools will regard them all the same! I have really been struggling with my decision :(

Hello,

Has anyone been waitlisted for either the medical or dental scholars program at Rutgers GSBS? If so, did you come off of the waitlist as of yet? Thanks!

Any news or update on an orientation email? My GSBS email is completely empty... Getting kind of worried.
Are we suppose to send in our immunization information in order to get an orientation details email?

Also anyone know when we are suppose to register for classes? Does this also happen at orientation?

Any news or update on an orientation email? My GSBS email is completely empty... Getting kind of worried.
Are we suppose to send in our immunization information in order to get an orientation details email?

Also anyone know when we are suppose to register for classes? Does this also happen at orientation?

Hi, from my understanding we need are immunization forms submitted prior to orientation where we will register for classes. I haven't received any orientation info other than that its the 8th and 9th and if we don't submit our forms prior to orientation we won't be able to register.

You will receive an email about orientation regardless of whether you've submitted your immunization information or not. Along with the orientation email you will probably receive information about how to fill out your online immunization record (you also have to have the documents mailed/faxed over). Generally, registration for incoming students is after orientation. I think last year I didn't receive my orientation email until a week or two before orientation.

Did anyone receive housing assignments, financial aid info, orientation, ANY INFORMATION AT ALL?!.......

Members don't see this ad :)
Did anyone receive housing assignments, financial aid info, orientation, ANY INFORMATION AT ALL?!.......

I received my housing assignment and information regarding that and I also found out informally that orientation is August 10th. I spoke to someone in financial aid and was told that we won't get any financial information until after we register for classes at orientation. Outside of that, nothing formal about orientation or registration.

I received my housing assignment and information regarding that and I also found out informally that orientation is August 10th. I spoke to someone in financial aid and was told that we won't get any financial information until after we register for classes at orientation. Outside of that, nothing formal about orientation or registration.
wait a minute. I thought orientation was aug 8th and 9th? that's what my acceptance email says. or do the orientation dates differ depending on your track?

It really is frustrating that they don't periodically update us. feel like i've been in the dark ever since applying lol

wait a minute. I thought orientation was aug 8th and 9th? that's what my acceptance email says. or do the orientation dates differ depending on your track?

It really is frustrating that they don't periodically update us. feel like i've been in the dark ever since applying lol

I feel the exact same way lol... My acceptance letter said August 8th and 9th. While emailing about something else, I was told August 10th is orientation. I'm hoping that we'll get an email soon with more details and a finalized date.

does anyone have an estimated date of when classes would start or a date that they have started in the past? just trying to gauge when I would have to prepare to move by. thanks
September 1st

what email did you receive your housing assignment and orientation info?

They were two separate emails. The housing came a few days after I got my housing information via the housing website. It included move in date and whatnot. The orientation came from a reply that I had about financial aid. I asked about the August 8th/9th date and I was corrected that orientation is the 10th. However, I am still waiting for an official email about orientation before I confirm that it's that date.

They were two separate emails. The housing came a few days after I got my housing information via the housing website. It included move in date and whatnot. The orientation came from a reply that I had about financial aid. I asked about the August 8th/9th date and I was corrected that orientation is the 10th. However, I am still waiting for an official email about orientation before I confirm that it's that date.
Lol... why is Rutgers so disorganized with this... It's the end of July- we should already know everything by now...

Reactions: 1 user
Who did you speak with that told you that it was Aug 10? Financial aid office? GSBS admissions? Based on the GSBS website and information we got in our acceptance letter, I'm pretty sure it would be on Aug 8 and 9.

I also received my housing assignment information through my non-rutgers email (so basically the email you initially used to apply). If you're waiting to hear back from 180W, maybe check your spam to see if you got anything?

And remember to check your financial aid checklist tab on myrutgers portal to see if you have anything that you need to turn in/complete. I also called the financial aid office to double check to see if they required else. They didn't really mention when I would receive my financial aid, but most of our classes start late aug/early sept for us so I'm sure they'll send out an update once August rolls around.

Who did you speak with that told you that it was Aug 10? Financial aid office? GSBS admissions? Based on the GSBS website and information we got in our acceptance letter, I'm pretty sure it would be on Aug 8 and 9.

I also received my housing assignment information through my non-rutgers email (so basically the email you initially used to apply). If you're waiting to hear back from 180W, maybe check your spam to see if you got anything?

And remember to check your financial aid checklist tab on myrutgers portal to see if you have anything that you need to turn in/complete. I also called the financial aid office to double check to see if they required else. They didn't really mention when I would receive my financial aid, but most of our classes start late aug/early sept for us so I'm sure they'll send out an update once August rolls around.

I was told August 10th by Ms. Lucy in GSBS admissions.

I just received the long awaited email. Orientation is August 8th and 9th.

Hey guys! Finally received the orientation email... I feel like we have been waiting long enough haha.

Has anyone received an email saying they have been accepted into the Dental School courses for the fall semester? I know the email we got today said students have already been selected and they have been or will be emailed about it! So just wondering if anyone has gotten one yet.

Looking forward to meeting everyone at orientation :) Any idea what classes/how many hours you guys will be taking first semester?

Who else got placed in the underclassmen dorm? Smh im pissed lol

Im trying to find a way to get in somewhere else, the room set-up is terrible.

How are you going about doing that?? I'd love to try myself but I'm not sure what to do. And Ayat isn't responding to emails at all

How are you going about doing that?? I'd love to try myself but I'm not sure what to do. And Ayat isn't responding to emails at all

Idk who Ayat is, but might move off campus or try to check the availability off other dorms. Talbott just seems to be to small and I dont want to be around hundreds of underclassmen

Is there anyone currently on or came off the waitlist for either the medical or dental scholars program? I still have not been notified and I cannot seem to reach anyone. I would appreciate any advice. Thanks!

Is there anyone currently on or came off the waitlist for either the medical or dental scholars program? I still have not been notified and I cannot seem to reach anyone. I would appreciate any advice. Thanks!

I would call the admissions office to see what's going on

Hi guys,
I recently received my acceptance email for the dental track. My status on the "check your status" application page has not been updated yet as it still notes "no decision". From reading my official acceptance letter from the associate dean, it is asked that I sign the document, write a cheque for $100 and mail it to them. However, I've read elsewhere on this forum that people were able to pay their deposit online. Currently, I am both excited and frustrated as I have to provide them with a decision by Aug 5th and if I snail mail my acceptance letter with the cheque to them, I don't think they will receive it on time. Could someone please provide some insight on their process of accepting and paying the deposit? Thanks in advance!

Hi guys,
I recently received my acceptance email for the dental track. My status on the "check your status" application page has not been updated yet as it still notes "no decision". From reading my official acceptance letter from the associate dean, it is asked that I sign the document, write a cheque for $100 and mail it to them. However, I've read elsewhere on this forum that people were able to pay their deposit online. Currently, I am both excited and frustrated as I have to provide them with a decision by Aug 5th and if I snail mail my acceptance letter with the cheque to them, I don't think they will receive it on time. Could someone please provide some insight on their process of accepting and paying the deposit? Thanks in advance!

I tried to pay online multiple times and the option just wasn't available. Idk if it's for all tracks or maybe it was just me, but I couldn't do it that way. I suggest you send your check or money order to them via priority-mail first thing Monday morning. It guarantees delivery in 1-3 business days, in some rare cases it'll take 4 but either way it'd get there before the 5th. & itll only cost you like $3 max. If you plan on accepting the offer, I highly recommend that you get to your local post office by 9a on Monday. Good luck!

I tried to pay online multiple times and the option just wasn't available. Idk if it's for all tracks or maybe it was just me, but I couldn't do it that way. I suggest you send your check or money order to them via priority-mail first thing Monday morning. It guarantees delivery in 1-3 business days, in some rare cases it'll take 4 but either way it'd get there before the 5th. & itll only cost you like $3 max. If you plan on accepting the offer, I highly recommend that you get to your local post office by 9a on Monday. Good luck!
Thanks for your reply. I really appreciate it.

Sent from my A0001 using SDN mobile

Anyone willing to share the immunization requirements before orientation date? I've overnight mailed my tuition deposit this morning and they probably won't process it for another day. I've called the admission's office and they told me to wait for an email with further information after they've processed my tuition deposit. Since orientation for dental scholars is on Aug 8 & 9th (confirmed with admissions), I only have a week to meet their requirements before orientation. It was noted on this thread that you are expected to meet their immunization requirements before attending orientation, if anyone could please send me the instructions they've received after the tuition deposit, it would be greatly appreciated. PMing would probably be the best. Thanks in advance.

Anyone willing to share the immunization requirements before orientation date? I've overnight mailed my tuition deposit this morning and they probably won't process it for another day. I've called the admission's office and they told me to wait for an email with further information after they've processed my tuition deposit. Since orientation for dental scholars is on Aug 8 & 9th (confirmed with admissions), I only have a week to meet their requirements before orientation. It was noted on this thread that you are expected to meet their immunization requirements before attending orientation, if anyone could please send me the instructions they've received after the tuition deposit, it would be greatly appreciated. PMing would probably be the best. Thanks in advance.

http://njms.rutgers.edu/departments/family_medicine/shs/immun_gsbs.cfm

I don't think you have to have immunization form done by orientation, it's just that you can't register for classes if it's not done

Idk who Ayat is, but might move off campus or try to check the availability off other dorms. Talbott just seems to be to small and I dont want to be around hundreds of underclassmen

Have you had any luck with any on campus grad housing?

Last edited:
Hello everyone ! I have just accepted my matriculation into the Dental Scholars program for the upcoming year (YAY!). Looking forward to meeting everyone on Monday! Seems like it is all coming up so fast !

So I have been looking into housing as well and was trying to determine whether living in Newark is a good idea or not? I am moving down with my dog (she's 4 and I love her dearly) and my boyfriend and his brother (I know, full house!), so it has been a mission trying to find pet-friendly 2 bedroom properties that I like. If anyone has any suggestions, please help!

Regarding immunization, I was reading that registration is from the 10th to the 19th, so I would assume that we wouldn't be able to register unless we have the papers in. Did anyone take a look at the courses that are offered? I can't decide !

And if anyone has information on a Facebook group that would be awesome ! Otherwise, lets get one started ! =]

I tried this link but it still says 2015-2016 so I wasn't sure if this was correct or not =/
https://www.facebook.com/groups/137..._t=group_highlights&notif_id=1465085094873927

Also, does anyone know what our class size is going to be approximately?
Congrats. Looking forward to meeting a fellow predent. And yes, that's the correct group. They change the name every year apparently.

Sent from my A0001 using SDN mobile

Have you had any luck with any on campus grad housing?

I forgot to call today. I will most likely annoy them until they switch me lol. I hate that we dont get financial aid info until classes are registered, didnt have time to decided if living off campus would've been more affordable.

They put me in undergrad housing, too (also in Talbott). At least two of my three apartmentmates are in the GSBS.

Also, did anyone else notice something odd about the tuition billing? I looked around and it says >$1,000 per credit, but my acceptance letter says it's $963 per credit (non-resident).

Someone also made a second facebook group for 2016-2017: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1834133890148143/

I think our class size is typically ~90 students per program (Dental, Medical, Biomedical). I think it's 270 - 290 students overall if I remember right.

Last edited:
I forgot to call today. I will most likely annoy them until they switch me lol. I hate that we dont get financial aid info until classes are registered, didnt have time to decided if living off campus would've been more affordable.

I've been doing the same . I'm supposed to get an answer by Thursday. I'll be calling every hour if I don't hear anything by Thursday at Noon

I've been doing the same . I'm supposed to get an answer by Thursday. I'll be calling every hour if I don't hear anything by Thursday at Noon

I just realized people have been probably calling trying to take my spot on the list after seeing me post lol. Going to call tomorrow!

Dont understand why but it looks like they're placing majority of the GSBS students in Talbott this year...

They placed all they could fit in 180 W Market and put overflow into Talbott. According to the housing office and some emails, "waitlisted" students were placed in Talbott. But that's incorrect because many students who were never waitlisted are there as well. They are working on cancellations for rooms and we should know for sure by the end of the week

Does anyone know if there are any mandatory move-in dates for any of the on-campus housing options?