Rutgers Masters Program 2015-2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I chose Piscataway.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
So I emailed the dental scholars coordinator and he sent me this course schedule from last year for the Fall

http://njms.rutgers.edu/gsbs/current_students/docs/2014/Fall2014Masters.pdf

but I don't see anatomy or biochem or basic courses like that .... Does anyone have an idea of a sample schedule from someone who has completed this program?

Try the Spring Course section. There's regional anatomy, medical physiology, and a bunch of biochem/mol bio course options (including dental biochem)

http://njms.rutgers.edu/gsbs/current_students/docs/2015/SpringMasters.pdf

Reactions: 1 user
Just got accepted to the RU Newark program! Waiting on the New Brunswick decision now. does anybody have any insight as to the differences between the program other than the RU Brunswick has the accelerated program possibility & Newark does not? :)

what were your stats?

do you guys know how the limited enrolllment for classes with medical students will be handled?

So I just got into the Dental Scholars track in Newark.
I applied to this program after not getting accepted to dental schools this cycle, I'm hoping I can show a lot of improvement in my gpa after this. I also want to finish the program in 9 months but after reading some posts I'm a little nervous, does anyone know of people finishing it that early?
And are most of you going to apply to dental school for the 2017 cycle or are any of you submitting applications now to get in next year?

Hey i was hoping that somebody could help me out...because I have been accepted but wanted to know how doable it is to take 30 credits in the one year. I have been discouraged to do so.

Hey i was hoping that somebody could help me out...because I have been accepted but wanted to know how doable it is to take 30 credits in the one year. I have been discouraged to do so.
You have to maintain a high GPA and do well in the med school classes - thats the priority, not finishing in one year.

You have to maintain a high GPA and do well in the med school classes - thats the priority, not finishing in one year.

i guess what i meant is...is it possible to maintain a high gpa while taking 15 credits a year. i know of course that the goal is to do well in this program.

Members don't see this ad :)
i guess what i meant is...is it possible to maintain a high gpa while taking 15 credits a year. i know of course that the goal is to do well in this program.

Nobody can answer that. It depends on your work ethic. Take a light workload in the Fall like 11 credits and go from there. That's what most students do. It takes most of them 3 semesters. Those are the students I know that have succeeded.

Last edited:
Just accepted to Rutgers Newark Medical Scholars. I was complete 6/9 and accepted via email 6/19. stats are 3.0 cgpa, 3.5 sgpa, 31 MCAT. It still reads "no decision" on the check your status site.

With all the uncertainty/ changes going on with SMPs across the board, I'm feeling increasingly risk averse. As a result, I am leaning more and more towards saving money and going with one of the Rutgers options. Still waiting to hear back from New Brunswick but I anticipate that I will get in.

I know Rutgers Newark is a great program for predent, but not sure yet which of the two Rutgers options would be better for premed. NB has the AAP option that allows for avoiding a gap year, but it sounds like very few people are able to link through that program because the interviews are so late in the cycle and everyone is wait listed (May interviews?!). How are you guys choosing between Newark and New Brunswick?

Just accepted to Rutgers Newark Medical Scholars. I was complete 6/9 and accepted via email 6/19. stats are 3.0 cgpa, 3.5 sgpa, 31 MCAT. It still reads "no decision" on the check your status site.

With all the uncertainty/ changes going on with SMPs across the board, I'm feeling increasingly risk averse. As a result, I am leaning more and more towards saving money and going with one of the Rutgers options. Still waiting to hear back from New Brunswick but I anticipate that I will get in.

I know Rutgers Newark is a great program for predent, but not sure yet which of the two Rutgers options would be better for premed. NB has the AAP option that allows for avoiding a gap year, but it sounds like very few people are able to link through that program because the interviews are so late in the cycle and everyone is wait listed (May interviews?!). How are you guys choosing between Newark and New Brunswick?
I'm biased - but if you are med, I would like at the quality of the schools for the medical students and where they match and the avg step 1 scores. For example, the past graduating class at NJMS beat RWJ for both match quality and #, and avg step 1.

Any idea where I can see the data?
You can contact each school for the data - it may be on the website, but you will have an easier time asking their MD admissions. Just make sure its comparing the same years to each other.

The match % and the Step 1 score are easy to compare but the match data isn't - like you have no idea where is a good program for say PM&R, or surgery or EM or etc etc. The big names aren't always the best - i.e. Brown isn't as top notch as you might think based on the name and there are a bunch of state/public universities that are way better for it.

I just got accepted to the Medical Scholars MBS at Newark earlier this week. I live in Queens and am debating whether I should commute or dorm/live off campus. What is everyone thats OOS or far from campus planning to do?

I just got accepted to the Medical Scholars MBS at Newark earlier this week. I live in Queens and am debating whether I should commute or dorm/live off campus. What is everyone thats OOS or far from campus planning to do?
That drive will suck majorly

Yea I know that's why I'm looking into getting an apt close to campus preferably with another mbs student.
Hey, I will also be joining the program as a medical scholar and am looking for incoming mbs to dorm with. I already applied for 180 west but I am not sure id I will get a spot. I already emailed Padilla to ask for open spots so if that is where you want to live, we can ask to be assigned to the same apartment. I am also interested in off campus housing in society hill if 180 west doesnt work out. Let me know if you are interested.

Hey, I will also be joining the program as a medical scholar and am looking for incoming mbs to dorm with. I already applied for 180 west but I am not sure id I will get a spot. I already emailed Padilla to ask for open spots so if that is where you want to live, we can ask to be assigned to the same apartment. I am also interested in off campus housing in society hill if 180 west doesnt work out. Let me know if you are interested.
Society hill is a rip off - at that point may as well live in JC or Hoboken and get a little more bang for your buck

Society hill is a rip off - at that point may as well live in JC or Hoboken and get a little more bang for your buck
Yes, I have noticed that their prices are pretty high. But I dont have a car so I would like to stay on campus. Do you recommend the new graduate housing on washington?

would you recommend on campus housing? I'm gonna put in my application for on campus housing today
Someone from the program told me that he applied for 180 West on 6/9 but still has not been assigned so I think our chance is slim. I wonder if we will get our deposit back if we don't get assigned. However, I found a newly renovated apt in society hill for 2250 a month that will be available late july or august 1. It's 3 br 1.5 bath. I will be calling the landlord to see if it is still available. If shared, it will be $750 a month excluding utilities. So if you or anyone else is interested, please let me know.

I just heard back from the housing staff and she told me that anyone who applies for oncampus housing will get assigned a room. It might not be 180 West because they are experience a high volume of students this year. But they will try their best to assign us to 180 West. Not if, we will be placed in the new graduate building on Washington ( its 10 min walk to NJMS). They will also try their best to assign those in the same program together. We are expected to hear back about our assignment by this week or next week. They also said that we will have temporary housing assignment for orientation. I just want to get this out to those who are like me worrying about housing. GL and see you all during orientation.

Yes, I have noticed that their prices are pretty high. But I dont have a car so I would like to stay on campus. Do you recommend the new graduate housing on washington?
its brand new, and don't know anyone that lived there and a long walk from campus - not really

Yeah I would recommend on campus housing. It's expensive, but it should be well worth it.

Last edited:

I just went to check out a few apts in the area and even saw an apt in society hill. Society hill wasn't so bad I assume all the apts have the same or similar floor plan, but it is a bit of a walk to the graduate building and around the winter time it might be difficult to do on a daily basis. My netid still isnt registered so I havent been able to apply for housing hopefully tomorrow I can get in touch with the school to figure out what the problem is. The other apts in the area are also pretty far given the fact that I probably wont be driving. I would prefer an apt with only 1 maybe 2 roommates but most of the places im finding are shared with 3 or 4 other people. Im going to start looking for full apts instead of rooms for rent and hopefully find a 2 or 3 BR apt close to campus. If I do find something Ill post it here and if anyone is interested to move in is welcome to message me about it, or if you find one message me if youre looking for a roommate.

I just went to check out a few apts in the area and even saw an apt in society hill. Society hill wasn't so bad I assume all the apts have the same or similar floor plan, but it is a bit of a walk to the graduate building and around the winter time it might be difficult to do on a daily basis. My netid still isnt registered so I havent been able to apply for housing hopefully tomorrow I can get in touch with the school to figure out what the problem is. The other apts in the area are also pretty far given the fact that I probably wont be driving. I would prefer an apt with only 1 maybe 2 roommates but most of the places im finding are shared with 3 or 4 other people. Im going to start looking for full apts instead of rooms for rent and hopefully find a 2 or 3 BR apt close to campus. If I do find something Ill post it here and if anyone is interested to move in is welcome to message me about it, or if you find one message me if youre looking for a roommate.
Have you sent in your acceptance letter? If you sent in your acceptance letter with the deposit, it will take a few days ( more than 4) after your acceptance letter has been received for your netid to get activated. If you handed in your acceptance letter and deposit, it should be activated in the same day (that is what I found out from someone here).

Have you sent in your acceptance letter? If you sent in your acceptance letter with the deposit, it will take a few days ( more than 4) after your acceptance letter has been received for your netid to get activated. If you handed in your acceptance letter and deposit, it should be activated in the same day (that is what I found out from someone here).
I was able to get into the system today I guess it just took a few extra days. Do you know how much the dorms in 15 Washington and 180 west are for the year? Going by the prices for the other dorms I'm assuming it's at least $8500 for the calendar year, but I saw something that said it's $10500 for graduate student dorms. I don't remember where I saw it or if it was for the Newark campus dorms or New Brunswick.

I was able to get into the system today I guess it just took a few extra days. Do you know how much the dorms in 15 Washington and 180 west are for the year? Going by the prices for the other dorms I'm assuming it's at least $8500 for the calendar year, but I saw something that said it's $10500 for graduate student dorms. I don't remember where I saw it or if it was for the Newark campus dorms or New Brunswick.

http://housing.newark.rutgers.edu/180-west-market-application-and-rates

There. That's last years rates.

Last edited:
I talked to the housing staff today and the one on Washington will be around 12900 for the calendar year (3 bedroom apartment). Assuming the calendar year covers 12 month, that will come out to be 1075 a month. That is if you choose the 3 br apartment. If you choose 1 br or 2 br plan, the price will be higher. All utilities are included for the apartments on Washington. I think for that price, it is reasonable since it comes fully furnished. In 180 West, we have to pay for electric and heat.

I talked to the housing staff today and the one on Washington will be around 12900 for the calendar year (3 bedroom apartment). Assuming the calendar year covers 12 month, that will come out to be 1075 a month. That is if you choose the 3 br apartment. If you choose 1 br or 2 br plan, the price will be higher. All utilities are included for the apartments on Washington. I think for that price, it is reasonable since it comes fully furnished. In 180 West, we have to pay for electric and heat.
1075/ month per person? That is really high it might be cheaper to get an apt a little further away and get a car instead.

1075/ month per person? That is really high it might be cheaper to get an apt a little further away and get a car instead.
Yes, if you can bring a car I would definitely live farther for cheaper rent and at a better location. Ive heard a lot about hoboken for offcampus housing. I am not bringing a car with me so I think that is a better option. Society hills is another great option since its walking distance from njms but the rent is between 750 and 800 a month for most apts I see without utilities. So if I consider the utilities and internet the monthly cost is possibly around 1k. Between society and oncampus housing I feel the oncampus is the better option for me.

I think if they allow us to double up it will be cheaper. I dont mind doubling up but unfortunately that is not possible.

Yes, if you can bring a car I would definitely live farther for cheaper rent and at a better location. Ive heard a lot about hoboken for offcampus housing. I am not bringing a car with me so I think that is a better option. Society hills is another great option since its walking distance from njms but the rent is between 750 and 800 a month for most apts I see without utilities. So if I consider the utilities and internet the monthly cost is possibly around 1k. Between society and oncampus housing I feel the oncampus is the better option for me.
Just dont try to have a car in hoboken. parking is a night mare

Anyone know why there's no information pertaining to any of these courses? None of them are listed here http://njms.rutgers.edu/gsbs/olc/index_course_num.htm and I can't seem to find any information regarding them, Thanks.
GPuauSd.png

Dr. Garrett told me that these classes are new to the program and will be the first year that they teach these courses. Therefore there is no additional information on the courses available aside from the syllabus you will receive on the first day of class. You can try emailing him to try and get the syllabus. I also do believe he has already notified students that he and the committee have selected as good candidates for the course. So if you weren't notified you probably can't take these courses.

What classes is everyone considering taking? I'm considering behavioral and cognitive neuro, immunology a, cell death, and/or cell pathology.

Hey everyone, I've recently gotten into the Dental Scholars Track and I was wondering what courses everyone's taking? From what I understand, it's too late at this point to request for courses that need permission. Also, where's everyone staying? I've gotten a room at 15 Washington, and I feel like that's where a majority of us are staying. See you all at orientation!

I'm pretty positive piscataway is more selective and a better program than newark, although it is more new.

Do you know what the rates are like for a 1 bedroom/studio at SC? It's impossible to find price ranges online for them and they havent replied to my email. All the places I've seen around that area (Ironbound, JC, Hoboken, Montclair etc) seem really expensive, I'm gonna try for either 180 West or 15 Washington as well but it seems like there aren't many spots left ._.

I'm pretty positive piscataway is more selective and a better program than newark, although it is more new.
I believe this is mainly true for the pre-medical program right?

Has anyone applied to the Spring 2016 program at Newark (Dental Scholars program)? If so, do you have an idea as to the difference(s) between starting in the fall vs. starting in the spring semester? Things that come to mind are the types of courses offered, course sequence, etc. I tried to do some digging on their website but could not find much info.

Has anyone applied to the Spring 2016 program at Newark (Dental Scholars program)? If so, do you have an idea as to the difference(s) between starting in the fall vs. starting in the spring semester? Things that come to mind are the types of courses offered, course sequence, etc. I tried to do some digging on their website but could not find much info.

I'm currently in the Rutgers Dental Scholars program and I don't see any reason why it would make a difference. Most of the core classes that students take, it doesn't matter if you take the second part before the first part (such as in Funds A or Pharmacology).