Rutgers or UNC Pharmacy?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Iterated

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
The title speaks for itself. What is the better school? In terms of academics, social, working opportunities, internships, people, friendliness, weather? I'm a PP1 at Rutgers and would like to transfer. What do you think? Should I? Should I not? The people here are kinda ignorant (please don't tell me that I'm ignorant for saying that but i sincerely believe there would be smarter people else where)........
Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

The title speaks for itself. What is the better school? In terms of academics, social, working opportunities, internships, people, friendliness, weather? I'm a PP1 at Rutgers and would like to transfer. What do you think? Should I? Should I not? The people here are kinda ignorant (please don't tell me that I'm ignorant for saying that but i sincerely believe there would be smarter people else where)........
Thanks in advance.

I can speak a little bit about Rutgers, and their pharmacy program.

If you leave, you almost certainly can not return. They (as you probably know) are primarily a 0-6 school. So be sure you know what you are doing.

Rutgers in general is the type of school that treats the successful academic students EXTREMELY well, and unfortunately, borderline abuses the students who are doing poorly/struggling. You've likely heard of the RU screw at Rutgers? It's mostly true.

If you are strong academically I would urge you to stay and continue studying at Rutgers because the school will pave a golden road for you. On the other hand, if you're averaging anything less than a 3.5 you might indeed want to consider transferring out. Your entire academic experience rides on your GPA.

Regarding the ignorant people at Rutgers, there are ignorant people everywhere (and many, many at Rutgers), I advise you just to ignore them.

Hope that helps a bit.

The GPA minimum is a 2.8. I know that I will get 3.5+ (College is hard only because Bio and Chem are given at the same time). If I were to get lower than the 3.5, would it be that bad? I try extremely hard (even with procrastination)....

Members don't see this ad :)
The GPA minimum is a 2.8. I know that I will get 3.5+ (College is hard only because Bio and Chem are given at the same time). If I were to get lower than the 3.5, would it be that bad? I try extremely hard (even with procrastination)....

The absolute lowest you should go with your GPA is a 3.0 GPA. However, that being said, the lower your GPA, the better your other credentials must be. You will be expected to have work experience, research, etc. to make up for a low GPA.

Thanks in advance.
Just curious, why would you want to transfer out? As a p4 student currently on rotations I can attest to the statement regarding the golden paved road. The reputation that you will graduate as a rutgers pharm alumni will open doors for you, assuming you are pursuing something outside of retail. Ie I had a rotation with a pharmacist who was going back for his pharmd and he applied for a industry rotation. He was denied being told that they only take rutgers students for rotations. Also, EMSOP (rutgers pharm), just got re accredited and did so with flying colors ( as in accommodations in I believe three categories), which is really hard to do.

Rutgers is one of those schools that everyone knows of its reputation, similar to how everyone knows that the pharmacy school in california is arguably the best in the nation. Why would anyone want to transfer out of something like that? "To each his own" I guess.

It is true, don't expect to get much support from professors apart from how you should study or referring you to Rho Chi ( the honor society) for tutoring etc... unlike medical schools which go out of their way in helping its students graduate. But this is not to say that they don't care. Each student is given an academic adviser for support, also you can always make an appointment with the assistant deans for advice. There is also an " office for student development" resource for counseling and academic help. Also some professors will volunteer their time to a online chatroom for last min questions the night prior to an exam. EMSOP is extremely competitive and will push you to your limits, but the end result distinguishes you from other pharmacy school student who may also be rotating with you ( although St Johns prepares you significant better for "wet lab" which make sense since its a req. for NY state)

As for GPA, your overall GPA i believe has to be greater than 2.8 and for professional (p1-p4) I believe has to be greater than 2.5. Don't think for one second that you are doomed if you are below 3.5 . Im on track to graduate with probably a 3.0 flat, yet all my evaluations from rotations will note how I have a very strong clinical base and that it due to the rigorous course load. So if your close you are even under 3.0 be very cautious but don't feel that you are done because you are below a 3.5 ..

I wish you all the best of luck!

i go to rutgers. transfer for p1 is extremely freaking hard. one or two seats available.