Rutgers PsyD - Average debt?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aerozeppelin

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

First time poster here! I hope that this sort of inquiry does not violate any rules or prove to be too repetitive.

I have been accepted into Rutgers' PsyD program for 2015. From everything I've read, it is considered a top PsyD program and appears to have excellent training and research/clinical opportunities. However, although the funding is good compared to other PsyD programs, I am slightly concerned about the amount of debt I will accrue by attending this program. Does anyone have any information about the average amount of debt Rutgers PsyD students take on during their time in the program?

At this time, I am still waitlisted at the University of Iowa Counseling Psych PhD program, which is my top choice. I am also in at the University of Memphis Counseling program. Memphis is providing me with better funding than Rutgers, but I was not as impressed with their interview day as I was with Rutgers'. Furthermore, although both schools seem to have somewhat comparably high APA internship match rates, I notice that Memphis EPPP pass rate is considerably lower.

The general opinion around here seems to be that the PhD is a more valuable degree, but I worry that such low pass rates at Memphis could be a product of poor training. If better funding was present at Rutgers, this would be a no-brainer. Anyway, long post - I was just wondering if any of you had any insight into my various questions or advice. Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

It's just a rough estimate, but most programs will provide you a break down of costs versus what students typically get for financial assistance.
For Rutgers, go here
http://gsappweb.rutgers.edu/programs/clinical/

and click on "Student Admissions, Outcomes, and Other Data"

It's definitely not the best way to estimate costs for a number of reasons, one of which is that it does not include cost of living, but it does give you a vague sense of costs, which can be helpful. A better bet might be to ask more senior students in the program how much in student loans they take out (on average) each year.

Honestly, I am somewhat surprised at the low EPPP pass rate of the University of Memphis Counseling Program. I have heard really good things about their program, they have long been APA accredited, and have a fairly good match rate.

Good luck with your UI waitlist, sounds like that is your top choice anyway.