RVC C/O 2018 Applicants!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
No problem! Thought you guys might like to know, since I know I've certainly been going crazy over the wait as well.

And yeah, I'm betting your theory is right - I'm hoping a lot of the applicants who got initial offers will choose their IS or other OOS schools once more US acceptances start rolling out. I don't know many non-EU candidates that have applied, and I can't really compare myself to my EU friends since we're in different pools, but I know of one very well qualified EU candidate that still hasn't heard back. So perhaps they haven't made it through all of the applications yet either?

Anyways.. positive thoughts. :luck: And congrats on your Edinburgh acceptance! It's also a fantastic school, and great to have as a backup choice. The city is absolutely beautiful!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm in the middle of my 3rd year at Glasgow and just realized: I applied to RVC when I applied to vet school and NEVER heard from them! I was accepted to Edinburgh and Glasgow, which were my top choices, so I never followed up. In retrospect, I suspect maybe my file was lost or something to that effect. Moral of the story: If you don't hear within a reasonable amount of time, you should contact them!

Actually yeah - something similar happened to my Canadian friend that said she got her invite in January last year. She said she waited until nearly the end of January (she'd applied through UCAS though since she finished her undergrad degree in Wales), but hadn't heard anything or gotten UCAS portal updates, so she emailed them, and they promptly sent her back an interview invite for mid Feb. :shrug: Guess it is easy to accidentally get overlooked, I plan to follow up again the first week of January if there's still no word.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just got an email about Taster Day in NYC that confirmed that I was getting an offer for the 4-year and not the 5-year program, so Taster Day people should be receiving an email soon. Can't wait!

Is anyone else who applied planning on bringing along their pet(s) if they get in? I'm just wondering how difficult this will be since I won't/can't go anywhere with out my pups! :love: (P.S. they're not a restricted breed so yay! for that!)

Is anyone else who applied planning on bringing along their pet(s) if they get in? I'm just wondering how difficult this will be since I won't/can't go anywhere with out my pups! :love: (P.S. they're not a restricted breed so yay! for that!)

This site will tell you everything you need to know: https://www.gov.uk/take-pet-abroad. The US is a "listed" country.

I think it used to be a lot more complicated and take 6 months or something, but they must have changed it because it seems a lot simpler now. I'll be bringing my cat if I get in!

This site will tell you everything you need to know: https://www.gov.uk/take-pet-abroad. The US is a "listed" country.

I think it used to be a lot more complicated and take 6 months or something, but they must have changed it because it seems a lot simpler now. I'll be bringing my cat if I get in!

Awesome! Thanks for the link! hat's about what I've been seeing, but it's good to see it on an official site. The only tough part is going to be doing all he things that need to be finished 24 hours-1 week before leaving (ick). :annoyed:

No problem :) Yeah, it's a hassle, but I'm just thankful that it isn't a 6 month process anymore!

cmoooooon rvc.... make my wish come trueeeeeeeeeee :whistle:
all i want for christmas is youuuuuuuuuuu :whistle:

Reactions: 3 users
Has anyone heard anything new? Thinking about biting the bullet and reaching out to them next week.

called on friday. was told they would get back to us by the following friday. :(

Reactions: 1 users
So this may be the week? I'm not sure if I'm excited or nervous! Good luck to everyone!!

so I just got my rejection letter today via email :( :(
its a weird feeling getting rejected from your dream school.........

Members don't see this ad :)
Me too ducktoller. Was not a pleasant way to wake up this morning. Hugs for you.

I just opened my rejection email as well.. definitely upset about this one. I thought for sure I would have at least made the cut for an interview! :(

I just got my rejection email this morning too, hugs for everyone!

Aghhh me too! To them, it's just an email, but to us, it's a crushed dream! Sorry for being dramatic - I received TWO rejection emails today. Like FrozenScot said, hugs for everyone!

Aghh Irina, I'm really sorry to hear that :( I'll keep my fingers crossed that you get some good news from Dublin soon!!

Still no word for me from the RVC and it's officially 5pm here. Guessing no more news till next week. Is anyone else still waiting to hear back as well? Getting paranoid they've just forgotten me!

I got my rejection email Thursday as well, but it was my birthday so I tried really hard to ignore it until yesterday.:(

FYI for anyone waiting to hear, I just called and they said they haven't finished going through all the apps, so they're hoping to get the rest of the decisions out midweek.

So I'm confused are we talking mostly about the four year program or also the five? Because interviews for the five are happening in the us this week

So I'm confused are we talking mostly about the four year program or also the five? Because interviews for the five are happening in the us this week

Ohhhh right, I completely forgot US interviews are already this week (time flies!), that explains why no one else is still waiting to hear back.. I requested an interview on campus since I currently live in London, so that's probably why I haven't heard yet. Best of luck by the way!!

Do you have any recommendations on how to prepare for the interview? It's a bit differently formatted than any I've ever had for anything!

People going to the Taster Day - are you wearing your interview suit?

How was the taster day/interviews for everyone?

Also just called in and was told I'll finally hear at the end of today.. ahhhhh keeping my fingers crossed :xf:

It was great! I actually really enjoyed the interview, and I'm normally very anxious about this sort of thing

The Taster Day was also really great. All the speakers seemed to really love talking about the school and (for those who taught at the school) love teaching as well. There were a bunch of nice videos of the campus for you to see more of what the school looks like, and they go into some of how they run their program. They really emphasized how their curriculum is constantly being tweaked and worked on by their LIVE center, which literally has one job: to make sure they are teaching veterinary medicine as effectively as possible. So I get the feeling that I can be confident they know what they're doing in regards to teaching.

They also talked about their two practices (the small animal hospital and the equine practice on site) and the caseloads there... it seems like RVC students get a TON of clinical experience, because if you get into the Graduate Accelerated program you do just one year of pre-clinical and then two clinical years and one final year of externship-type experience (I think they call them intramural something). Plus, they emphasized the fact that you are pretty much licensed to practice all over the world - they are accredited by like 5 different bodies I think.

I also got the vibe that their students are very happy and well-balanced - don't know how they do this but it seems that they have more free time to go play sports, do extracurriculars, explore London, and even hang out in Paris for the weekend. There were some American graduates at the Taster Day who spoke about their experience and loved it, and said they did not experience any trouble getting internships / jobs in the US afterwards. One of the alums also brought up the chill vibe that I was getting, saying that every Wednesday in the UK is sports day and classes get out at 12 noon (hahaha). He also said he just really liked how unpretentious everyone was compared to people at US schools who seemed to think very highly of themselves! The other graduate also mentioned how humbling it is during the first two years to get the animal husbandry experience that's required, because you are working with farmers doing lambing, etc etc and they won't give a crap about how smart or qualified you are. You just get in there and get dirty. :)

All in all it seems like a great program. I am still waiting on US schools because my first choice is Tufts right now, but I would definitely not mind going to RVC if I didn't get in anywhere in the US.

Hi everyone! I've been lurking for a while, but haven't posted yet. I was at Taster Day too and just wanted to say that the teaching style and quality of the education seems miles (or I guess kilometers) beyond anything that I have heard about in the US. I think my only concern is that the grading seems to be a lot more stringent (a 68 is a GOOD grade?!). I know that the alumni said that you get used to it, I'm just afraid that I will freak out when I get my score back...

I do like that they take it seriously and truly try to challenge their students, though. One of the alumni I talked to said that it seems like the hardest part of US vet school is getting in, and then students just kind of skate through, which is the impression that I have gotten from talking to students at US schools. Like, it's still vet school, and it is still hard, but a larger percentage of the students get good grades and don't work as hard. So I guess in that respect, I like that grades aren't just given out and that people truly have to work for them.

I am still waiting to hear from a couple of schools, including my IS, but I think that RVC is definitely one of my best options.

To anyone that read this before my edit, I apologize. I accidentally hit the submit button before I was done writing!

Last edited:
I do like that they take it seriously and truly try to challenge their students, though. One of the alumni I talked to said that it seems like the hardest part of US vet school is getting in, and then students just kind of skate through, which is the impression that I have gotten from talking to students at US schools. Like, it's still vet school, and it is still hard, but a larger percentage of the students get good grades and don't work as hard. So I guess in that respect, I like that grades aren't just given out and that people truly have to work for them.

I have to say, your post is incredibly naive, remarkably insulting, and quite possibly one of the most stupid - yes, stupid - things I've ever seen posted on SDN.

There are people here who are working their butt off to get through vet school in the U.S. There are even people here who have failed courses and had to repeat entire years, going through more stress, anxiety and workload than you've most likely ever experienced.... and you had the audacity to come here and post about how US students "just kind of skate through"? There are people here with vet-school induced health problems ... and you just blew that all off with your suggestion that US schools don't take things seriously or try to challenge their students. You just insulted every school and every administration and every instructor in the US, in addition to implying that those of us in the US are somehow of lesser quality and competence than students trained in the UK.

And best of all, you have exactly zero credibility, since you haven't even experienced a single school here or in the UK.

Amazing.

I have to say, your post is incredibly naive, remarkably insulting, and quite posin vet school has worked hard to get ibly one of the most stupid - yes, stupid - things I've ever seen posted on SDN.

There are people here who are working their butt off to get through vet school in the U.S. There are even people here who have failed courses and had to repeat entire years, going through more stress, anxiety and workload than you've most likely ever experienced.... and you had the audacity to come here and post about how US students "just kind of skate through"? There are people here with vet-school induced health problems ... and you just blew that all off with your suggestion that US schools don't take things seriously or try to challenge their students. You just insulted every school and every administration and every instructor in the US, in addition to implying that those of us in the US are somehow of lesser quality and competence than students trained in the UK.

And best of all, you have exactly zero credibility, since you haven't even experienced a single school here or in the UK.

Amazing.
I think you are being a bit harsh.

She/He was reporting how the day went and what alumni shared. I think everyone knows how hard vet students work to get in and continue to work.

I was also at taster day and have done several other interviews. Many students at the u.s. schools say they party a lot in their free time. If that works for you great. If not that is ok also.

Royal had faculty members there explaining their program and the way they teach. It was very impressive and very different from any of the schools in the U.S. that I visited.

To each his own. I hardly think the poster above deserved you attack.

She/He was reporting how the day went and what alumni shared. I think everyone knows how hard vet students work to get in and continue to work.

I was also at taster day and have done several other interviews. Many students at the u.s. schools say they party a lot in their free time. If that works for you great. If not that is ok also.

Royal had faculty members there explaining their program and the way they teach. It was very impressive and very different from any of the schools in the U.S. that I visited.

Actually, I do not think he was being harsh at all. The poster above did state that was his/her opinion as well as those at RVC. The poster explained the she/he does/did feel as if the US students don't work hard, which is a bunch of naive BS coming from someone who has not even stepped foot inside of a vet school in either the UK or the US. The reality is that it is a bunch of hogwash. Also, if you think the US students are out partying a lot, you have some reality coming to smack you in the face, because UK students are mostly 18/19 year-olds who are first time away from home in college, think undergrad partying all over again. You don't want me to continue, because I will not be as nice as LIS. Also, I am at a UK school, so I know how the systems work over here. I also have seen some of the work/notes of my friends at US schools. There is very little difference in the material or the amount of information being taught between the two. I have to agree and stand behind what LIS said 100%; stating that US students do not work as hard and have an "easier" time of making good grades is BS, especially when you have not experienced any school first hand and do not fully understand the grading system in the UK and how it compares to the US grading system. It is also incredibly rude to those attending US schools who are currently working their butts off in vet school.

You may think that. That's fine. I stand by every word I said. It is absolutely one thing to love a particular school. That's *awesome*. And if that person is drawn to RVC for whatever reason, that's great.

But it is unprofessional, rude, and condescending to turn that into a slam against every school and student in the U.S. That is just unacceptable.

She/He was NOT simply 'reporting' how they day went; she/he went well beyond that.

It was very impressive and very different from any of the schools in the U.S. that I visited.

There is a world of difference between "it is very different" and implying that U.S. schools don't take the education seriously and don't challenge their students.

I have to say, your post is incredibly naive, remarkably insulting, and quite possibly one of the most stupid - yes, stupid - things I've ever seen posted on SDN.

Amazing.

I admit, I did not phrase my post the way that I meant it. I'm sure I deserve some of what you have said since, yes, I have not attended a veterinary school in either the UK or the US. I was very naïve in saying what I said, and I am sorry if my phrasing was not as optimal as it could have been. It was not my intention to be condescending, and I have all the respect in the world for everyone working in or attending any vet school because I have no doubt that it will be the most difficult experience of my life, no matter where I end up.

At the time I made the post, I had just finished interviewing at my IS. I was slightly disenchanted with the fact that of the 4 or 5 current students that I talked to, the general theme when asked what they do outside of school was "I party a lot... But I still get A's." After visiting more schools, I realize that this is not the case everywhere and that I was hasty to make a blanket statement. I should have said that at the one school where I had talked to students, they seemed to be getting A's more readily than I perceived to be the case at RVC. Again, I never meant to be insulting to anyone.

That said, I don't know you and you don't know me. I find it very offensive that you would jump to the conclusion that I am being condescending and intentionally disrespectful. I realize that I put my proverbial foot in my proverbial mouth, however your response was a little bit harsh and has made me feel very unwelcome on SDN. I did not realize that open discussion is not welcome here and will keep that in mind when posting in the future.

That said, I don't know you and you don't know me. I find it very offensive that you would jump to the conclusion that I am being condescending and intentionally disrespectful. I realize that I put my proverbial foot in my proverbial mouth, however your response was a little bit harsh and has made me feel very unwelcome on SDN. I did not realize that open discussion is not welcome here and will keep that in mind when posting in the future.

I'm not "jumping" to any conclusion. You said what you said, and it was disrespectful, rude, and condescending. Period. Whether it was your intent is not something I'm attempting to judge.

And don't play the victim here. Open discussion is welcome on SDN. But what you did is a far, far cry from "open discussion." You were disrespectful, disparaging, and rude. Please keep that in mind when posting in the future.

Last edited:

We are a very welcoming crowd, to be honest. However, if you do post something that can come across as condescending, offensive and disrespectful (whether intended or not), people will call you out on it. Yes, open discussion is very welcome, however, be prepared that that open discussion may include backlash and things that you may not want to hear, especially when you are posting something that is very rude and disrespectful of other members here. (Again, you may not have intended it, but that IS how it came across).

I'm gonna guess that this paragraph was the issue, since I personally took offense at this. Vet school in any country is a constant worry if you are good enough and if you will pass all your classes. Even 1 F can mean a repeated year or being kicked out. At several schools, having more than 1 D in a semester can do that, too. So realistically, students may act like they are skating by or give you that impression, but that is rarely the case. Most of my class studied hard every for every test. We still had several people fail out. Some people talked a big game, but they were still struggled with material, too.

Okay, I understand what y'all are saying. Looking back, I realize that my post was worded poorly and that what I said was rather ill-mannered and unkind. Though you have pointed out that my true intent doesnt matter, I would like to reiterate that I truly never meant to be disparaging. I apologize to anyone and everyone that I have offended.

I promise that I am not the villain that I seem to have inadvertently made myself. Way to go, youngvolcanoes, making a fantastic debut on SDN. I should get an award or something.

Wait...they said that people in the US party more? I need to up my game apparently.

Reactions: 2 users
We have an advantage, SNS; it's built into our curriculum. Every semester has a 10-credit "Party Like It's 1999" class. Helps us skate through. :)

What are your thoughts on mid week drinking?

::cough cough::

;)

What are your thoughts on mid week drinking?

::cough cough::

;)

Every day is Friday in the U.S. vet schools.

But seriously, do you mean in between other drinks? Before 11am? What? It's a dicey balance. Of course, you have to use some time to recover from the previous weekend. But you also need to ramp up to the coming Friday. It takes skill, don't underestimate it. Today was annoying; I had to put aside the partying for a few hours to take an ultrasound final exam. Fortunately, they highlight the answers on multiple-choice exams here in the U.S. so that we don't spend too long actually trying to answer.

(@youngvolcanoes , we're just yankin' yer chain now. :))

Did I ever show you the video of my anatomy prof drinking a pint upside down on his head?