RVC Tuition

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JHBphd

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
A man from RVC came to speak to my college in Vermont, and he was saying that tuition for international students at RVC is cheaper than many US schools. However, according to the website, the whole cost of tuition and living is around 33,000 pounds, which is over $60,000. Does anyone know the truth? Any current students perhaps?

Members don't see this ad.

That sounds about right to me based on what I know about Glasgow and living in the UK. Tuition at Glasgow came to about $35,000 a year (they fix it for all five years). I think RVC fixes tuition so your main concern is the cost of living. London is an expensive city, but if I recall correctly, you're only living in London for like the first two years. Although, I think southern England in general is more expensive than the north. You other concern should be what is going to happen with the exchange rate. I don't think it will affect your tuition too much (I think all the UK schools have a fixed conversion rate for that) but that can easily climb or drop at any given point. It's been going down the past couple of years, but that was definitely a concern of mine in regards to affecting my cost of living. When I studied abroad there, I spent like $11,000 on food,activities and travel for the 9 months I was there. My housing was payed and flights back and forth from the UK to the states was covered by my school. So that should give you an idea of what cost of living might be like. I also lived in a really cheap student city up in the north, so that's probably the lower end of things.

Actually, the estimate he gives you seems high now that I think about what the conversion rate is at. Right now 33,000 pounds is about $52,000. The current rate is like 1.5 pounds to the dollar, give or take a couple cents. But like I said, the goes up and down, so I would imagine if things really took a dive, you could easily hit that $60k mark.

Members don't see this ad :)
IIRC, it was marginally cheaper than Penn IS before considering any moving costs or overseas travel. Which isn't saying much. It's basically cheaper than going OOS in many cases, but definitely not cheaper than IS.

Yeah so £33,000 is about $51,000 (using the current exchange rate....the dollar is stronger lately than it has been!). And we do have the lowest tuition rate of all the UK schools. This cost difference is probably made up for during the time you'd spend living in London (years 1 & 2 of the 5 yr program or only 1 yr for the G&T program.)
Its definitely cheaper than going to most places OOS and some IS (Penn, Tufts, Cornell...the private schools). Moving isn't a huge expense, most people are bringing mostly clothes and its free to check your first suitcase. I sent a couple of enormous boxes over here (one with a large comforter in it) and each cost me around $120. Living on campus in London isn't too bad cost-wise, definitely cheaper than most places in London. Rent for the clinical years (in Potters Bar area) is well priced...probably comparable to a lot of similar places in the US. Living in London on a budget can be hard but there are many things here that are either cheaper or comparable to the US.

Yeah so £33,000 is about $51,000 (using the current exchange rate....the dollar is stronger lately than it has been!). And we do have the lowest tuition rate of all the UK schools. This cost difference is probably made up for during the time you'd spend living in London (years 1 & 2 of the 5 yr program or only 1 yr for the G&T program.)
Its definitely cheaper than going to most places OOS and some IS (Penn, Tufts, Cornell...the private schools). Moving isn't a huge expense, most people are bringing mostly clothes and its free to check your first suitcase. I sent a couple of enormous boxes over here (one with a large comforter in it) and each cost me around $120. Living on campus in London isn't too bad cost-wise, definitely cheaper than most places in London. Rent for the clinical years (in Potters Bar area) is well priced...probably comparable to a lot of similar places in the US. Living in London on a budget can be hard but there are many things here that are either cheaper or comparable to the US.

Wait...your tuition alone is 33k GBP per year?? If so, then you are not the cheapest school in the UK. My tuition per year is 18k GBP per year at Glasgow. I believe the current first years are sitting around 23k GBP per year. Living costs here are very low as well (between 2-400 pounds per month for a flat/utilities/food).

Wait...your tuition alone is 33k GBP per year?? If so, then you are not the cheapest school in the UK. My tuition per year is 18k GBP per year at Glasgow. I believe the current first years are sitting around 23k GBP per year. Living costs here are very low as well (between 2-400 pounds per month for a flat/utilities/food).

No thats what an above person quoted as total expenses. Tuition is ~£20,000/yr.

The tuition at RVC is £19800 for international students (that converts to $30,741 right now), which is why they say they are cheaper than many OOS tuitions. The number you quoted must be including estimated living expenses.

If you scroll down a bit on this page you can see them: http://www.rvc.ac.uk/Undergraduate/Finances.cfm

I'm paying less at RVC than I would if I had gone to Tufts like I originally planned. At the moment, my tuition is around 35,000 USD, with the conversion rate being 1.57. RVC has you set up a budget for the academic year in a spreadsheet that they designed in Excel so that you can figure out how much you need. It's the first year they've done it and I wish they'd been doing it the whole time; I'm the stupid person who took out max the first year, which I didn't need. Definitely check out the finance page RVC has that Tonkamoo put up. It has everything laid out pretty well.