RVU bonus

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

XRT_doc

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
What's a fair RVU based bonus for radiation oncology?

Members don't see this ad.

It depends on where you live. I'm in a less desirable market and my bonus is $60/rvu over 13k. My friends in more desirable areas typically have a capped rvu bonus of around 50k/year and the amount per rvu is closer to upper 40's to 50/rvu.

A related question...how many rvu's are people getting per you?

It depends on where you live. I'm in a less desirable market and my bonus is $60/rvu over 13k. My friends in more desirable areas typically have a capped rvu bonus of around 50k/year and the amount per rvu is closer to upper 40's to 50/rvu.

A related question...how many rvu's are people getting per you?

This is similar to what I've seen, though the target work RVU's really have ranged for full time positions from 8-13K.

Members don't see this ad :)
...also, target RVU's obviously can depend based upon salary. If you've got a high baseline salary, your "target" RVUs prior to bonus will most likely be higher.

To really get a sense of what your offer is, (ie how much you're getting paid per your hours/volume) you need to know what partners or prior employees have been billing in terms of RVUs.

IMHO, 13 000 RVU is > 95th percentile of productivity in this country...

Do you have any good resources to understand RVUs and Billing for radiation oncology?

I'm just about to finish my second year of practice. It was nearly impossible for me to get an understanding of RVU's, as all of my mentors where either in academics or traditional private practices. I relied on mgma surveys and my strategy was to negotiate the highest base possible and set rvu goal as high as possible. The hospital will be more than willing to show you what prior years rvu totals were for the department. For what it's worth, all of my friends who were in similar situations a couple of years ago all average at least 1,000 rvu/month and average around 20 patients on treat at a time. Hospital based positions are increasing and I hope the ARRO talk gets updated to discuss rvu's soon.

I'm just about to finish my second year of practice. It was nearly impossible for me to get an understanding of RVU's, as all of my mentors where either in academics or traditional private practices. I relied on mgma surveys and my strategy was to negotiate the highest base possible and set rvu goal as high as possible. The hospital will be more than willing to show you what prior years rvu totals were for the department. For what it's worth, all of my friends who were in similar situations a couple of years ago all average at least 1,000 rvu/month and average around 20 patients on treat at a time. Hospital based positions are increasing and I hope the ARRO talk gets updated to discuss rvu's soon.

It's kind of incredible how many of our compensations are dependent on RVUs and CPT codes which we don't hear about at all in residency. I guess that's why physicians are the only group who on average make less every year. I don't think anyone should go into medicine for the money, but not knowing where your revenue comes from is also foolhardy.