RVU-COM Discussion Thread 2011-2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
RVU does accept a good number of students from OOS. I don't know exact numbers, but I think close to half are from Colorado.

You have a really good chance of being accepted after you've been offered an interview. They will probably tell you what the statistic is when you come to interview, but I'm sure it's at least 70%. Good luck to you!

Members don't see this ad.

Brocimus, I am from Arizona and I really want to go RVU since I love the weather in Colorado. Does RVU-COM accept out of state students at a decent rate? Also, after you are invited to the interview, what is your chance to get matriculated?

Class of 2015 is 33% from CO. Pretty darn good rate of acceptance for out of staters.
http://www.rockyvistauniversity.org/PDFs/Vista View OCT_2011_Vol-4_No-1.pdf

And yeah, once you're interviewed, your chances of acceptance sky rocket.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks everyone for the feedback. I appreciate your help. See you there next year (hopefully).

Good luck to all those applying, interviewing, matriculating, etc. I will be withdrawing and turning over my acceptance/seat to someone else in the process! This school was awesome. Facilities are really nice. Curriculum revision makes sooo much sense and seems to be a very practical method to setting students up for success. I wasn't super excited about the non-government loans but I wouldn't have said that was a deal breaker by any means because it seems the banks work closely with the financial aid office. The faculty and students here totally set this school apart and I think everyone planning on going here/interviewing here, will be so happy with their decision to do so. Once again, good luck and please feel free to PM me on any thoughts, advice, questions about my take on the interview day/school. Very relaxed interview for everyone I talked to on our day, and very impressive school.

Good luck to all those applying, interviewing, matriculating, etc. I will be withdrawing and turning over my acceptance/seat to someone else in the process! This school was awesome. Facilities are really nice. Curriculum revision makes sooo much sense and seems to be a very practical method to setting students up for success. I wasn't super excited about the non-government loans but I wouldn't have said that was a deal breaker by any means because it seems the banks work closely with the financial aid office. The faculty and students here totally set this school apart and I think everyone planning on going here/interviewing here, will be so happy with their decision to do so. Once again, good luck and please feel free to PM me on any thoughts, advice, questions about my take on the interview day/school. Very relaxed interview for everyone I talked to on our day, and very impressive school.
If you don't mind me asking... You seem to really, really like this school; why are you withdrawing?

If you don't mind me asking... You seem to really, really like this school; why are you withdrawing?

Guess I left that out accidentally... Well basically because I hate the Denver Broncos and Tim Tebow... That and I got into my first choice so I can't turn it down!! I was kind of looking forward to living in denver but I guess I'll just have to stick to visiting CO to snowboard. Goodluck to ya

Anyone remember about how long they had to wait for an interview after they turned in there secondary app? Thanks

Anyone remember about how long they had to wait for an interview after they turned in there secondary app? Thanks

when i called yesterday they told me that reviews were behind this year and that i hadn't been reviewed yet. i was complete from aacom end of august. secondary mid september.

Can anyone good at math tell me just how much more I would probably end up paying if I go to RVU and have to take all private loans compared to getting government subsidized and unsubsidized loans?

I was in the exact same situation Beatcat. Keep me posted if you hear anything please

Members don't see this ad :)
How long did it take for people who has their secondary done before they got an interview invite?

How long did it take for people who has their secondary done before they got an interview invite?

I was complete 8/22, I didn't get an invite via mail or email, my status just changed on the portal and I didn't record when that was. It was mid September if I recall correctly.

Accepted! I interviewed on 10/11 call just came out just about 20 minutes ago

Accepted from interview on 10/7. I'll see you guys in Colorado next summer!

Last edited:
My theory on this is that because they are still trying to get accreditation they are being super super picky about who they're accepting so that when their scores are posted there will be no possible complaints... that's just my guess...

My theory on this is that because they are still trying to get accreditation they are being super super picky about who they're accepting so that when their scores are posted there will be no possible complaints... that's just my guess...

Sorry for my ignorance. But, what is the issue of being for profit school like RVU-COM? Most of schools are private and they need profits to run the school. I might miss some big points, but is anyone wiling to explain what is the main issue of this school for being for profit school?

I realize I'm bumping this quote from 2 months ago but I was perusing around the RVU thread and saw this and another post about the school not admitting post-baccs, essentially because of an internal audit? what? if they did a real internal audit maybe they'd realize that being a for-profit school gives them the same credibility of University of Phoenix and DeVry. Glad I didn't fill out my secondary for them.

I think it is slightly presumptuous to be comparing a medical school to the University of Phoenix or Devry.

Honestly who cares if its a for profit school. All the nonprofit universities are "for profit" also otherwise they wouldn't have any staff or faculty (all of whom are employed for profit)

Sorry for my ignorance. But, what is the issue of being for profit school like RVU-COM? Most of schools are private and they need profits to run the school. I might miss some big points, but is anyone wiling to explain what is the main issue of this school for being for profit school?

Can you please tell me exactly where I said anything about their for-profit status in my post? Oh right, I didn't... I'm saying that I think they're being picky because they don't have a 'main' campus behind their existence. SOMA, Western, etc all have a main campus to base their curriculum on... RVU is starting from scratch...

-troll alert:

I realize I'm bumping this quote from 2 months ago but I was perusing around the RVU thread and saw this and another post about the school not admitting post-baccs, essentially because of an internal audit? what? if they did a real internal audit maybe they'd realize that being a for-profit school gives them the same credibility of University of Phoenix and DeVry. Glad I didn't fill out my secondary for them.

"Quote:
Originally Posted by mtmed
Just heard back from RVU...Ms. Rosenthal called me personally when she received my email and went over my rejection with me. Basically, I'm not a science major and I don't have quite as many medically related experiences as the other candidates. I haven't taken human anatomy and that was big. Apparently RVU is getting super competitive, more so than some of the other, more established DO schools.

Chalk one up for the "super pre-med" applicant"

Where in that post you quoted does it say anything about non-admission to post-bacc's? I realize there was one post a while back about someone hearing that from the admissions staff, but that was the only one... And good job stirring up a subject that's been debated to death.

p.s.- im a post-bacc by 4 years and i was accepted this cycle. Loved the campus, faculty, students, and the location.

A non-profit like a college, if they have any extra money they can't just withdraw it and take it as a profit to the investors-- they have to hold onto it and eventually all the money goes back into the school or scholarships or whatever. A for-profit college, like DeVry or University of Phoenix has investors and stockholders/investors. They exist to make money. There are enough issues here to write an entire dissertation about but just compare the University of Phoenix versus a normal college. And no, I don't think it's presumptuous at all to compare RVU and University of Phoenix-- both are non-profit and I'm sure at some point more for profit schools will try to open medical schools-- they have courses in almost every other subject.

The difference between RVU & Univ of Phoenix is that RVU has high admission standards like any other medical school and limited number of seats. UPhoenix will take any and as many applicants as they can get. RVU takes only 160 and they are getting pretty high caliber students. If in this beginning stage with all the bad rep about for profit is still bringing in good candidates, wait till they are more established.
In case you haven't noticed, even this "for-profit" & RVU subject is fading away from SDN, but once in a while some idiot will beat the dead horse... :beat:

-troll alert:

"Quote:
Originally Posted by mtmed
Just heard back from RVU...Ms. Rosenthal called me personally when she received my email and went over my rejection with me. Basically, I'm not a science major and I don't have quite as many medically related experiences as the other candidates. I haven't taken human anatomy and that was big. Apparently RVU is getting super competitive, more so than some of the other, more established DO schools.

Chalk one up for the "super pre-med" applicant"

Where in that post you quoted does it say anything about non-admission to post-bacc's? I realize there was one post a while back about someone hearing that from the admissions staff, but that was the only one... And good job stirring up a subject that's been debated to death.

p.s.- im a post-bacc by 4 years and i was accepted this cycle. Loved the campus, faculty, students, and the location.

Same here. Post-bacc since May 2007 (management major, too) and I was accepted this cycle.

Same here. Post-bacc since May 2007 (management major, too) and I was accepted this cycle.

+1 here, feeling the need to kill this rumor - been a post-bacc since the 90s and accepted this cycle. I met several current students who did the same route.

No truth to the post-bacc thing.

I am a post-bacc and was NOT accepted, but not because of that. I wasn't accepted because of a lack of clinical experience. Like I said, I think they are being picky to make sure they have no questions about their ability...

The difference between RVU & Univ of Phoenix is that RVU has high admission standards like any other medical school and limited number of seats. UPhoenix will take any and as many applicants as they can get. RVU takes only 160 and they are getting pretty high caliber students. If in this beginning stage with all the bad rep about for profit is still bringing in good candidates, wait till they are more established.
In case you haven't noticed, even this "for-profit" & RVU subject is fading away from SDN, but once in a while some idiot will beat the dead horse... :beat:

Well-said. :thumbup:

Interview invite... found out on the portal/site online for the secondary application showing it

Interview invite... found out on the portal/site online for the secondary application showing it

congrats, what date are you coming? I'm tour guiding a couple interview groups in early December :)

Hey Iowa, just wondering... what (and where) does it say on the portal when you get the interview invite?

Hey Iowa, just wondering... what (and where) does it say on the portal when you get the interview invite?

It says "Current Status: Interview" in the middle of the screen once you have signed in... then below it has a button that says "Schedule" or something like that

On another note, what does the day consist of for interview dates? Just booked my flights last night and am getting excited! Especially since I have family in Denver

One more question Iowa: on what date were you 'File Complete' if you don't mind me asking. Thanks for the quick reply btw.

what the h! i was file complete 9/1 and they said they were behind on reviews

I'm doing 12/7 and 12/9 interview group tours... feel free to direct any pre-interview q's my way :)

RVUCOM is not offering any more fixed rate interest loans. They are currently offering only variable rate interest loans. You should know before you turn down offers to any other schools. I'm an OMS I at RVUCOM and want you to be fully informed when you make your decision.

Good luck this cycle!

RVUCOM is not offering any more fixed rate interest loans. They are currently offering only variable rate interest loans. You should know before you turn down offers to any other schools. I'm an OMS I at RVUCOM and want you to be fully informed when you make your decision.

Good luck this cycle!

And it would be nice to share the details of that variable loan. It is 7.25% + the one month LIBOR (.25% currently).

I hope you guys have more "details" than just the CURRENT rate for these loans. Is there a cap on the interest rate? What outside source are they using to base the variable rate? How often can they adjust the rate? Can these loans be re-consolidated at a later time? What is the minimum time students must carry the loan? Are there penalties for early payments? Variable rate loans in general are VERY risky (do some research and ask a financial advisor if you do not understand how variable rate loans work). The current interest rate looks great, but it can change multiple times (you need to know how much it can change and how often) and over a long period of time- like the time it takes to pay back upwards of $200,000 in medical school loans, it is impossible to predict the future interest rate. This is not the type of loan where you just say "Oh, its like 7.5%!" and sign the papers...

I hope you guys have more "details" than just the CURRENT rate for these loans. Is there a cap on the interest rate? What outside source are they using to base the variable rate? How often can they adjust the rate? Can these loans be re-consolidated at a later time? What is the minimum time students must carry the loan? Are there penalties for early payments? Variable rate loans in general are VERY risky (do some research and ask a financial advisor if you do not understand how variable rate loans work). The current interest rate looks great, but it can change multiple times (you need to know how much it can change and how often) and over a long period of time- like the time it takes to pay back upwards of $200,000 in medical school loans, it is impossible to predict the future interest rate. This is not the type of loan where you just say "Oh, its like 7.5%!" and sign the papers...

We're supposed to have a school wide info session about the changes in financial aid sometime this month, once the terms are finalized. Here's the email from our president Dr Dubin that we all got:

Student Doctors,

Today I am announcing a new Health Profession Loan program. As a result of changes in the financial and student loan markets, the RVU Board of Trustees has approved a variable rate Health Profession Loan (HPL-V).

Effective spring term 2012 OMS I, II, and III students may apply for either a Sallie Mae Smart Option Loan or the HPL-V program. OMS IV students may continue with the current fixed rate HPL or switch to a Sallie Mae or HPL-V loan for the spring term.

Only OMS IV students may apply for the current fixed rate HPL for spring term.

The HPL-V interest rate will be based on the one-month LIBOR + 7.25%. Today’s one-month LIBOR rate is .25% which results in a current interest rate of 7.5%. Students who apply with a credit worthy cosigner will receive a .25% discount. The current HPL fixed rate is at 8.5%, so this is really exciting news.

Importantly, a new addition with this program will permit students to have the opportunity to apply for a Residency or Internship Deferment after graduation.

Kathy Leary is currently working with Cology and the Bank of Lake Mills to confirm the terms of the new HPL-V. You can expect to get more details from Mrs. Leary next week as she receives more specific information. We will be setting up meetings to explain the program in more details.

Dr. Dubin
-----
Dr. Dubin seems happy about it, since our HPL loan was fixed but at an interest rate decently above federal loan rates. I'm hoping this is actually a good thing. Once I get the details, I'll post a link or copy/paste them for you guys.

Of course we understand the (quite) possible negative consequences of a variable rate loan, that is why someone posted a warning to prospective students. I'm not sure why you are asking what the variable index is, as stated it is LIBOR. If we knew more, we would share more. For now, just be VERY wary. More to come...

Can anyone who interviewed here before briefly explain what is the interview format, how long is the interview and any surprising question?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Hey,

I'm sorry if this question has been asked already but I was wondering if anyone else has had the problem I'm having. Basically I don't know whether everything went through with my secondary, and when I try and log on it just says "Your current status indicates you are no longer a prospective student"...has anyone else had this happen?

thanks so much.

Hey,

I'm sorry if this question has been asked already but I was wondering if anyone else has had the problem I'm having. Basically I don't know whether everything went through with my secondary, and when I try and log on it just says "Your current status indicates you are no longer a prospective student"...has anyone else had this happen?

thanks so much.

That's their way of saying you're rejected. Classy huh? No Email, no letter, no phone call. Just a pop-up saying you're out of the running.