Saba University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JP17

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm thinking about applying to Saba University School of Medicine and would like to know the pros and cons from the perspective of current and alumni of the school. How was the loan/financial aid process? How was the education? Matching experience and life on the island in general. Any information positive or negative will help.

Members don't see this ad.

You will get virtually everyone telling you not to go(while ignoring your questions) by posting this thread here. I am not encouraging the decision to go Caribbean but if you want your questions answered its best to post in the international forum.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'd be really weary of any institution, especially Caribbean, that has to resort to click-bait ads on Facebook and YouTube for marketing.

Reactions: 2 users
So I'm thinking about applying to Saba University School of Medicine and would like to know the pros and cons from the perspective of current and alumni of the school. How was the loan/financial aid process? How was the education? Matching experience and life on the island in general. Any information positive or negative will help.

Nothing wrong with it provided you're willing to do residency and practice in the Caribbean. I hear the scenery is excellent.

saba-island-1920.jpg

Saba doesn't ever compare to SGU, the Harvard of the Caribbean. How are you going to become a Wizard of the Wards?

Reactions: 25 users
I do like how they call it "Saba University." As far as I can tell, the only thing there is the medical school.

I know a guy who is going to Saba. Clinical rotations are a pain since you have to pay a lot and find your own places. It's like going on an away rotation, but for your whole 4th year!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I would suggest purchasing a Ferrari with the $250,000. It will provide a better return on investment.

Reactions: 6 users
Not sure why everyone is bashing on Saba. It's a perfectly viable option if you want to become a wizard on the wards.

Reactions: 9 users
They make really good hummus

Reactions: 8 users
To put some facts into this discussion, besides the numerous threads on the residency issue (see links below) Saba was often mention as
part of or just following the "Big 3" Caribbean schools of Ross, AUC, and SGU. Part of that reason was the seemingly strong reputation and residency connections that founders of the school had established. However those founders have been found guilty of tax evasion in 2013 over the sale of the school back in 2007 to a private equity firm, Equinox Capital, Inc. Indeed the founder, Dr. David Fredrick, fled when indicted for evading taxes on $35 millions dollar sale and left his wife, Dr. Patricia Hough to stand trial by herself where she was found guilty. http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2013-10-24/caribbean-medical-school-founder-guilty-at-florida-tax-trial-1- Equinox Capital has purchase 2 other schools, MUA/Nevis and St. Matthews. So Saba has fallen from being a "big" school in the Caribbean to one that was sold for profit even though it was established as a non-profit (hence the tax evasion) and now run as another franchise and investment vehicle. http://hcrenewal.blogspot.com/2014/05/the-continuing-mystery-of-fugitive.html Add to this the enormous issues of off-shore residency chances and would say going there is a high risk venture very reduced chances of becoming a practicing physician in the US

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...an-medical-schools-use-federal-funds-loophole
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...pre-med-matriculate-in-the-caribbean.1183556/
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/us-md-for-320k-or-img-for-100k.1130221/
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/good-chance-at-getting-into-st-georges-should-i-do-it-3-4-overall-gpa-3-55-science-gpa.1133776/#post-16443492

Saba doesn't ever compare to SGU, the Harvard of the Caribbean. How are you going to become a Wizard of the Wards?

Not sure why everyone is bashing on Saba. It's a perfectly viable option if you want to become a wizard on the wards.

Can someone let me in on the joke?

I am sure I had a friend who went to Saba and successfully matched in US.

I am sure I had a friend who went to Saba and successfully matched in US.
45 US IMG's from Saba matched into a preferred residency in 2014. Many did not. It hard to say how many since we don't know how many started and were not allowed to take Step 1... This lack of transparency is only one of the reasons that an informed decision is very difficult to achieve when it comes to the Caribbean.

Reactions: 4 users
45 US IMG's from Saba matched into a preferred residency in 2014. Many did not. It hard to say how many since we don't know how many started and were not allowed to take Step 1... This lack of transparency is only one of the reasons that an informed decision is very difficult to achieve when it comes to the Caribbean.

Saba takes in about 90 per class.

That's what they say...
Guaranteed to be higher. A family friend went to the Caribbeans and told us that over a dozen from each class drop out within the first few months, and that it was a very regular occurrence (every couple weeks) for others to fail out through the years. I'm not sure which school he was at, but he said it was a similar situation at all of the schools there.

Reactions: 1 users
So <50% match?

Depends on your definition of "match". I believe the document being cited is the charting outcomes for IMGs which has a few flaws if we are comparing IMGs to US seniors.

1) It includes reapplicants which brings the match percentage down greatly. If you were to include reapplicants for US seniors their match rate would be around 75%
2) Only counts a successful match if the applicant matched into their first ranked specialty. IE an applicant who ranks a derm program first and then the rest are IM and matches IM will be considered unsuccessful.
3) Doesnt include the SOAP or prematch. A lot of DO schools advertise a 99% placement rate but around 20% of those who apply to the ACGME match fail to match and have to SOAP.

Edit: Dont take this post as me endorsing the Caribbean. I still think it is generally a bad idea for most applicants.

Last edited by a moderator:
So <50% match?
Like they said above, your guess is as good as ours for a match %. That said, the "~<50% match rate" doesn't even take into consideration all the people who fail out of those schools well before USMLE time or those who don't straight up fail out but aren't even allowed to sit for the USMLE. I'm sure the real numbers would make us cringe.

I hear that the hummus here is excellent.

Status
Not open for further replies.