Sackler 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
there are 60 people in each class and nobody really knows the exact number of applicants to sackler. its never too late to apply but you should get your application in asap to have a good chance of acceptance.

Members don't see this ad.

Does Sackler notify you when your application is complete and under review?

Now is still a good time to apply. At my interview, he said they wont start accepting people until about 6 weeks from now.

Sackler never notified me that my application was incomplete, but they did email me me saying I needed to send my MCAT. Anyway, just call them up if you are unsure, they are nice.

Members don't see this ad :)
has anyone received an interview invitation in the past couple of weeks?

I received an interview invitation this afternoon. I haven't scheduled it yet, have to give them a call tomorrow :thumbup:

I received an interview invitation this afternoon. I haven't scheduled it yet, have to give them a call tomorrow :thumbup:

congrats! may i ask when your application was submitted? did they notify you via email?
mine was "complete" a couple of weeks ago and I haven't heard anything yet.

I heard decisions for those who already interviewed will be made in March. Anyone know when the adcom will be meeting so we know when to start stalking the mailman? Sackler is my #1 choice and the wait is killing me. Good luck, everyone:xf:

congrats! may i ask when your application was submitted? did they notify you via email?
mine was "complete" a couple of weeks ago and I haven't heard anything yet.
My application was complete 2/15 and I recieced the email on Monday. From what it sounds like on here they're just at the beginning of their interview cycle

My application was complete 2/15 and I recieced the email on Monday. From what it sounds like on here they're just at the beginning of their interview cycle

thanks for your reply :)
will keep my fingers crossed

i am a sackler grad in my last 4 months of IM residency. I am starting cards fellowship in July and I want to do EP. I know 2 other Sackler grads that are doing EP now. The best advise is "Sackler can not help you, only hurt you". By this I mean no one will say WOW you went to Sackler we want you in our derm/rads/optho residency at Mass General. Most Sackler grads do IM/Peds. The ones that did great worked their asses off and got superior USMLE scores, even better than US grads. 90% of my class went to Sackler because they coudnlt get into US MD program, and picked Sackler over DO, Carib, law school, BGU, and Technion. Keep in mind if your shiz wasnt good enough to get in to an MD school dont expect Sackler to be a panacea for you. That being said you can utilize Sackler (not hte lextures, they are a total waste) to study VERY HARD FOR USMLE 1 and 2. If you can get mid-high 90s on these you can probably match into most palces. My class DID get ortho, rads, neurosurg, and IM in very highyly ranked institutions. You will never get the cache of a US medical grad, that being said it probalby doesnt matter anymore anyway becuase 30% of all residents come from INDIA WITH NO LOANS. That is your competition now my friends. Sackler is good if a) you want to be an MD and its your last resort b) you absolutely have to be in Israel for whatever crazy reason you may have c) you want to go to med school and also be in a beach/party/nightlife mecca in otherwords HAVE A LIFE and also BE A DOCTOR. My advise to you all now worrying about what and where to go - I have seen over 5000 patients in the last 2.5 years in my residency. maybe FIVE asked me where I went to med school. The other 4995 only wanted a diagnosis, pain meds, a quick discharge, a cure. In the end I got what I wanted and more out of Sackler. I also got to see the REAL ISRAEL not the Israel of Birthright or sumemr camp or Leon Uris novels. Tel Aviv is a modern fast paced s-hole that has some great looking women, some poor mofos with very bad habits, gats, drug users, Suadnese refugees, you name it its all there. Probably a lot more interesting of a place then SUNY or U of Wisconsin or all these other places. Bottom line: if you cant get in anywhere else or have to be in Israel, go to Sackler, study your ass off, and you will do just fine.

What if I only want to do anesthesia or urology or radiology or rad onc? Is it so definitively out of the question that I shouldn't bother going to Sackler? Are students unhappy with their education? Is the administration and the teaching staff so uncaring that current students would characterize the program as "malignant?" I'm worried.....

Members don't see this ad :)
What if I only want to do anesthesia or urology or radiology or rad onc? Is it so definitively out of the question that I shouldn't bother going to Sackler? Are students unhappy with their education? Is the administration and the teaching staff so uncaring that current students would characterize the program as "malignant?" I'm worried.....

Anesthesia is obtainable; every year sackler produces several anesthesiologists (it's moderately competitive and with the MASSIVE salary cuts that will be associated with it in the near future, im sure it will be easier to obtain)

for urology, hmmm... one matched last year at one of the top Urology programs in the United States; his father is a urologist. And one just recently matched.

About one person a year matches into radiology. Radiation oncology, ha, that's difficult from the vast majority of US MD schools.

Sackler is not malignant.

i am a sackler grad in my last 4 months of IM residency. I am starting cards fellowship in July and I want to do EP. I know 2 other Sackler grads that are doing EP now. The best advise is "Sackler can not help you, only hurt you". By this I mean no one will say WOW you went to Sackler we want you in our derm/rads/optho residency at Mass General. Most Sackler grads do IM/Peds. The ones that did great worked their asses off and got superior USMLE scores, even better than US grads. 90% of my class went to Sackler because they coudnlt get into US MD program, and picked Sackler over DO, Carib, law school, BGU, and Technion. Keep in mind if your shiz wasnt good enough to get in to an MD school dont expect Sackler to be a panacea for you. That being said you can utilize Sackler (not hte lextures, they are a total waste) to study VERY HARD FOR USMLE 1 and 2. If you can get mid-high 90s on these you can probably match into most palces. My class DID get ortho, rads, neurosurg, and IM in very highyly ranked institutions. You will never get the cache of a US medical grad, that being said it probalby doesnt matter anymore anyway becuase 30% of all residents come from INDIA WITH NO LOANS. That is your competition now my friends. Sackler is good if a) you want to be an MD and its your last resort b) you absolutely have to be in Israel for whatever crazy reason you may have c) you want to go to med school and also be in a beach/party/nightlife mecca in otherwords HAVE A LIFE and also BE A DOCTOR. My advise to you all now worrying about what and where to go - I have seen over 5000 patients in the last 2.5 years in my residency. maybe FIVE asked me where I went to med school. The other 4995 only wanted a diagnosis, pain meds, a quick discharge, a cure. In the end I got what I wanted and more out of Sackler. I also got to see the REAL ISRAEL not the Israel of Birthright or sumemr camp or Leon Uris novels. Tel Aviv is a modern fast paced s-hole that has some great looking women, some poor mofos with very bad habits, gats, drug users, Suadnese refugees, you name it its all there. Probably a lot more interesting of a place then SUNY or U of Wisconsin or all these other places. Bottom line: if you cant get in anywhere else or have to be in Israel, go to Sackler, study your ass off, and you will do just fine.

Very accurate assessment. I to know one of the EP sackler alum as I see him from time-to-time whenever I'm in telemety/CCU. Within the NY-area, Sackler has some respect. It's no Einstein, but it's certainly seen better than NYCOM. And, there is no question that the 3rd year (the most important year of learning in medical school) is vastly superior at Sackler than what a 3rd year experiences in the US. Your not a scut monkey in Israel like you would be the US. And, as I tell people on a regular basis when they ask about my time in Israel, it was and will probably remain the best 4 years of my life with lasting lifetime relationship-- something that my friends who went to some of the top medical schools in the US (Umich, etc) did not feel or experience. You very rarely meet a sackler alum who says he does not miss israel.

Last edited:
Do you think Sackler prepares their students well for the USMLE? I understand it's difficult to get a good residency as a foreign medical graduate, so I'm just hoping to own that test when the time comes.

wow i never heard of all that crap happening since i left 3 years ago.
i do remember the 1st 2 years were not taught to the USMLE but to stupid Israeli tests since the lectureres were PHDs that didnt want to redo their powerpoints for us. Thanks god attendance wasnt mandatory so I never went. Acing the USMLE is easy - just memorize first aid and do an online Kaplan or USMLEWORLD course. The best advice mis study to the test from day 1. As you read books for courses, refence them with First Aid os by the time your done with 2nd year first aid is already memorized. Also get all GOljan material for Path. Some classes in years 1-2 were good. I remember neuroanatomy, anatomy, parts of physio, histo were good. Path wasnt terrible. Honestly I cant remember the rest because most of it is totaly irrlevant anyway especially year 1. The rest were terrible. Cell bio was particularly humiliating. I think I failed my first quiz. great way to start medicine. ALso this hodgpodge of crap called intro to med was a disaster. Totally irrelevant. Looking back reading Harrisons that block would have been more beneficial. However, where Sackler got exclelent was year 3 especially the 3 months I had in medicine. The MD Dr Gur cheif of Pinimit Bet in ichilov was a rheum from Texas and was and still is one of hte best internests I ever met. He taught me things I still remember today. Physical exam in Israel is also taught very well. You also have freedom on rotations in ISraeli hopsitals to dog whatever you want. You ahv eto go the extra mile. IF you want surg, hang out on your day off and scrub in. No one will ever turn you away from a procedure or an opportunity to do something in the ER. Also looking back spen alot of time iwth anesthesia and the ICU. THis is big in residency and genrealyl no one gets exposure to it until then. Do lots of procedures when on the wards, stick needles in everyone you cna to get very confident. Start with blood drwas, IVs, then get as many extras you amy be able to get on the floor o rin surgery like chest tubes, intubations, central lines. Anyway, I have great memoriez of chillin by the TAU pool in the summer with first aid in one hand, a beer in the other, and a hot Morrocon on one side, and a hot Yeminite on the other. And its all Kosher baby. Life was good...

Sorry to have to air the dirty laundry, but it would be disengenous to applicants to not share has happened the last two - three years. Many current students would say that Sackler has been quite malignant recently, more so last year. Alumni might cringe hearing this, because of their positive nostalgia or loyalty to the school or Israel. However, that is the sad truth. The Board of Trustees admitted that it had become malignant when they sent a consultant to do a site visit last spring, and issued a report to the Board of Trustees. Since that report was issued and detailed problems with the current curriculum and conditions of the school, the Executive Dean was fired, the Program Director was fired, and soon the Curriculum Director will be leaving. The program director was not well-liked by students, some would argue that the program regressed under his leadership. He was a very rigid, extremely conservative South African psychiatrist, who was not student-centered. The new leadership seems more student-centered, but progress occurs at a glacial pace at this school. The lectures are still irrelevant, the pre-clinical faculty are still very unprofessional, and the lack of resources and tiny budget that the school runs is ridiculous given what we pay to attend here. Like I said, our tuition never makes it to the med school - it goes to Tel Aviv University to finance other programs.

If you're goal is to get Urology or Rad Onc, you're not increasing your odds by becoming here - you're making it harder on yourself. What was not mentioned, was the three excellent students (high USMLE scores and top class rank) who tried to match in orthopedics last year and did not match. They scrambled to get prelim spots last year, and now are having an even harder time getting interviews for PGY-2 spots in surgery or orthopedics.

Sackler administration does not publish their match statistics or school finances, which should be a huge red flag to applicants.

Yes, you will have fun in Israel and yes, you can get an IM residency, most likely in NY. Just be realistic when you apply here!!

So, as i stated previously, if you gain acceptance to a US MD, you would be crazy to choose Sackler, just like you would be crazy to choose an osteopathic school over an allopathic one; it just doesnt compute. In fact, even taking a year off to see if you can gain admission to a US MD may be more beneficial in the long-run.

Now, in response to what Mr. Cager has stated (i'm assuming for simplicity that cager is of a masculine orientation)....

As someone who graduated last year, I'm confident to say Mr. Cager was not in my class, so it's interesting to hear from him that the three students who didn't match into ortho last year were also the top students in my class. That is untrue since I happen to know all three very well; in fact, I helped one secure a position in the scramble. One was the top the student in the class, and it was unfortunate that he/she did not match. The other two were farrrr from the top and may have set their sights too high. The one who was ranked #1 secured more orthopedic PGY-1 interviews (one cannot enter ortho as PGY-2 even cager believes this to be the case) this year than last year and i hope he/she matches in the next couple weeks. Another has decided after experiencing a year of being a surgery intern, he/she has other interests and thus applied to a very different PGY-1 residency. The third has applied to both ortho and surgery, and i wish he/she the best of luck in the match as well this year. There was also a fourth student who applied for orthopedics and matched. Disclosure: that student's parent is a orthopedic surgeon at that hospital.

As stated elsewhere, ROADs residencies are hard to obtain. A friend of mine who graduated from Einstein last year with a high rank in his/her class and high USMLE scores was unable to match into orthopedics. Sackler puts you at a inherent disadvantage, but unfortunately even US MD doesn't ensure that you will match into one of the ultra-competitive specialties.

In regards to tuition. The tuition is on-par with an in-state medical school tuition within the US, which happens to be quite competitive (i think it's around 27K/yr now). Ask any of those kids who go to those Caribbean cash-cow factories and they'll tell you that they pay a fortune per year for garbage. Israel medical students pay in the neighborhood of 7-10K per year for the same education, as most higher-education outside of the US is relative inexpensive; this is due to a lack of subsidy and funding by our government, but that is an entirely different political issue that is not important to the discussion on this forum. If the American program only cost 7-10K per year in tuition, people like Cager and probably myself would never get accepted to Sackler as the deal would be to good to pass up and very competitive people would apply for the reality of leaving med school with essentially no debt.

And in regards to a match list not being made public, that again is untrue. Every year the school produces a match list I usually would get a copy of when i was studnet. it would usually get circulated on studentdoctor.net by one of the current students who uploads it. Do a search, and you should see most years match lists.

Last edited:
So, as i stated previously, if you gain acceptance to a US MD, you would be crazy to choose Sackler, just like you would be crazy to choose an osteopathic school over an allopathic one; it just doesnt compute. In fact, even taking a year off to see if you can gain admission to a US MD may be more beneficial in the long-run.

Now, in response to what Mr. Cager has stated (i'm assuming for simplicity that cager is of a masculine orientation)....

As someone who graduated last year, I'm confident to say Mr. Cager was not in my class, so it's interesting to hear from him that the three students who didn't match into ortho last year were also the top students in my class. That is untrue since I happen to know all three very well; in fact, I helped one secure a position in the scramble. One was the top the student in the class, and it was unfortunate that he/she did not match. The other two were farrrr from the top and may have set their sights too high. The one who was ranked #1 secured more orthopedic PGY-1 interviews (one cannot enter ortho as PGY-2 even cager believes this to be the case) this year than last year and i hope he/she matches in the next couple weeks. Another has decided after experiencing a year of being a surgery intern, he/she has other interests and thus applied to a very different PGY-1 residency. The third has applied to both ortho and surgery, and i wish he/she the best of luck in the match as well this year. There was also a fourth student who applied for orthopedics and matched. Disclosure: that student's parent is a orthopedic surgeon at that hospital.

As stated elsewhere, ROADs residencies are hard to obtain. A friend of mine who graduated from Einstein last year with a high rank in his/her class and high USMLE scores was unable to match into orthopedics. Sackler puts you at a inherent disadvantage, but unfortunately even US MD doesn't ensure that you will match into one of the ultra-competitive specialties.

In regards to tuition. The tuition is on-par with an in-state medical school tuition within the US, which happens to be quite competitive (i think it's around 27K/yr now). Ask any of those kids who go to those Caribbean cash-cow factories and they'll tell you that they pay a fortune per year for garbage. Israel medical students pay in the neighborhood of 7-10K per year for the same education, as most higher-education outside of the US is relative inexpensive; this is due to a lack of subsidy and funding by our government, but that is an entirely different political issue that is not important to the discussion on this forum. If the American program only cost 7-10K per year in tuition, people like Cager and probably myself would never get accepted to Sackler as the deal would be to good to pass up and very competitive people would apply for the reality of leaving med school with essentially no debt.

And in regards to a match list not being made public, that again is untrue. Every year the school produces a match list I usually would get a copy of when i was studnet. it would usually get circulated on studentdoctor.net by one of the current students who uploads it. Do a search, and you should see most years match lists.

Last edited:
I too am a graduate from Sackler and there are things that were said by Mr. J Cager that are true however, much of what he has said is completely untrue. I would take what he said with a pound of salt and not believe everything that is written on this blog. Reading what he has to say especially putting names into his posts clearly shows that he has some sort of a personal issue with the school possibly even a vendetta against it for some reason or another. I wish you all luck with your decisions and I urge you all to talk to someone who you know and trust who can give you solid advice about your future. If you do not know anyone I am sure that if you contact the office they would be more than happy to put you in touch with a few current students that may be able to help you. But again, please please please do not believe everything you read on here.

Do any of you current/past sackler students know how the education and the overall experience of medical school differs between Sackler, BGU, and the Technion?

I too am a graduate from Sackler and there are things that were said by Mr. J Cager that are true however, much of what he has said is completely untrue. I would take what he said with a pound of salt and not believe everything that is written on this blog. Reading what he has to say especially putting names into his posts clearly shows that he has some sort of a personal issue with the school possibly even a vendetta against it for some reason or another. I wish you all luck with your decisions and I urge you all to talk to someone who you know and trust who can give you solid advice about your future. If you do not know anyone I am sure that if you contact the office they would be more than happy to put you in touch with a few current students that may be able to help you. But again, please please please do not believe everything you read on here.

Last edited:
Cager,

I don't have a dog in this fight, and have no way of knowing the truth or falsity of your comments, but IMHO, you've been covering yourself in slime and innuendo.

Twice within this thread you've had to go back and delete certain assertions and people's names when other posters have called you on it. Why don't you take a deep breath, calm down, and stop ascribing so freely to others what seem to be your own personality traits?...

Cager,

I have knowledge about what is going on by talking to current students. I know its a crazy concept but people do speak to each other. I also think that any random person reading your posts can tell that you have a vendetta against the school. You certainly don't need to be a current or former student to be able to tell that, just a person with some common sense.

I've deleted names from all previous posts, the events speak well enough for themselves without having to make it personal.

MD 5678 - If you are indeed a Sackler graduate, I'm a little confused as to how you would have an understanding of what happened in the pre-clinical classroom the last 3 years (as you would not be in our classes). Therefore, your accusations that "much of he said is completely untrue" and "possibly even a vendetta" put you in a very negative position. What worries me more than you questioning someone's integrity, is that you might be misrepresenting yourself as a graduate of the school.

The one thing you showed well is that you should not trust conjecture on student doctor.net.

Last edited by a moderator:
Does anyone know when sackler will be informing people of acceptances? I interviews on 3/2?
thanks.

Does anyone know when sackler will be informing people of acceptances? I interviews on 3/2?
thanks.
Hey, I was there, too - good luck! Unfortunately, I don't know the answer to this question. Going through past posts, it looks like they notify within a month for acceptances and then keep the waiting list open until August. Would anyone like to add to this? Keeping my fingers crossed :)

they got my application close to a month ago...and i still haven't heard back (interview or rejection). is it worth calling to ask? or should i just wait?

Can any current student talk about the facilities at Sackler?.. I remember walking around the Tel Aviv University campus a few years ago while visiting some friends and I remember seeing a pretty old looking building that said Sackler on it. I don't know if I was looking at the right building or not but are the labs, lecture halls, etc etc in good shape? Is there a nice library to study in? etc..

Thanks!

I hope we start hearing back soon :p

thanks.

I called them last week and they told me the earliest we would hear about acceptances is April

they got my application close to a month ago...and i still haven't heard back (interview or rejection). is it worth calling to ask? or should i just wait?

Definitely call...show them you're interested

Anyone hear anything lately-like when we can expect to hear?

Do any current/former students have a crystal ball that they can look into to predict match results for 2015?

Seriously though, I'm worried about matching being more difficult 4 years from now. Anyone care to assuage my concerns, or reinforce them? This is a legitimate fear, given the huge increase in US MD/DO seats, but lack of a corresponding increase in residency positions, no? Todah in advance.

As to the question regarding the facilities..

The Sackler building stands out as the tallest building (I think) on the campus. It looks pretty retro from the outside, but inside the facilities are up to snuff in my book. The NYS / American program is located on the 2nd floor, consisting of the office for the secretaries and admin staff, a student lounge, and two classrooms for 1s/2nd years. The first year classroom and the lounge are both completely new as of last year. The classrooms are wired up as any other class you've been in the US, outlets at the seats, nice projectors and so on. The lounge is nice as well, refrigerator, water kettle, microwave, hang-out seating and about 13 computers or so with a printer. Don't forget about flatscreen with cable! The anatomy labs are in the basement. The American program gets their own cadavers and wing of the laboratory to work in during the anatomy block. I found anatomy very enjoyable and the lab was always well kept. You can access the lab 24 hours a day via swipe card to study on your own. The other labs you don't spend much time in besides histology, where you just looking in microscopes and follow along with the instructor on TV screens. The American program also has their own study room on the 9th floor which is open 24/7, I don't use it but I have classmates that literally live up there.

The science library (adjacent to the Sackler building) is a very new facility. Very nice inside, with study desks/cubicles, tables, computers.. multiple floors to go hide on. Checking out books is great.. I have had a copy of Robbins Pathology all year, haven't had to give it back once. Once again, don't study in the library much, but have a lot of friends that spend their time there.

They also just renovated and opened a new cafeteria on the main floor which so far I have to say is a big improvement over the previous one. Pretty much have any thing you could want food wise between our cafeteria and another "food court" (Sabarro / Sandwiches / Hot Food / Snacks) type area across the street from the Sackler building. Also an Aroma coffee close by if you are a coffee snob.

So all in all, the facilities are pretty up to par in my opinion with what I would expect in the States.

As for the MATCH, the 4th years found out yesterday and their was a nice school run function where they all got up and announced where they matched (literally hours after they found out). The match was very successful. Some of the matches I remember off-hand were ENT / Surgery / Peds / Emergency / IM / OBGYN / Psychiatry / Anesthesiology / Family Med / Optho.. others I am not remembering I am sure. I will let someone that knows the match results / programs / and 4th years better elaborate more on the matches as that's all I got. The student body and admin agreed it was a very successful match.

Thanks, docrad, for the detailed post; that was very informative!

Can anyone comment on wireless connectivity on campus - is it available? If so, is it free and reliable? What about in your apartments - is it expensive?

Also, how compatible are US smartphones/tablets with Israeli mobile carriers? For example, could I bring an iphone/ipad and get a data plan for it with orange or some other provider? Thank you.

AB2989:

The campus does have pretty good wireless connectivity. You get a school email address/username/password for accessing the University's network resources. Most of your exams will be on the computer for example, through services similar to blackboard / moodle and so on. Wireless connection works well if you bring laptops/wireless devices to class. They recently installed a 2nd wireless network that does not require authorization to get on to. As a student you have access for free to both networks. I think only a handful of time the wifi in one classroom had some deadspots.. don't think it has happened recently though, haven't heard anyone complaining.

It is up to you what service you want in your apartment. Without getting into the nitty gritty details, there are basically 2 companies that can hook you up with Cable / DSL services with wireless routers (HOT and Bezeq). You can subscribe to different speeds, although I am on the cheapest/slowest package and its plenty fast for me. Some people get the faster packages, really a personal choice. For internet and cable tv (including sports/movie package) I pay something like $80 a month. It is significantly less if you don't get a Cable TV package. Very reasonable rates. Most people don't get a house phone, cell phones are more than enough.

If you plan on bringing a US Smartphone or tablet it must meet two criteria. 1) It must be a GSM band device. Translation: It uses a SIM card. ATT uses SIM cards.. Verizon does not (unless its a word device). 2) It must be UNLOCKED. For example, I got a blackberry from Verizon that is a World device (meaning it takes a SIM as well). Before I came to Israel I had to call verizon and have them UNLOCK the phone so it can be used with foreign carriers. Once you get here you get a contract with Celcom or Orange and pop their SIM card in. There are also private cell phone stores you can take phones to have unlocked if the carrier won't do it for some reason, not sure what ATT's policy is. A ton of classmates use iPhones and Blackberry's they brought from the states.

As far as the iPad goes.. I am pretty sure the ATT version of the iPad 2 is unlocked for world use. Double check before you run out and buy one. The verizon one doesn't take SIM cards (is not GSM) and won't work over cellular here. The wifi will work however.

In the past a lot of people ask questions freaking out about technology working over here... but it is really nothing to worry about. Your completely wired / wireless / connected over here (I think the first cellular chip was made here?). Almost all the cafes you will go to have complimentary internet, and that is where you can find me studying for the most past. You can sit at them all day, order 1 thing and nobody will bother you. It's great.

hope that helps.

That was extremely helpful, docgrad. Thanks again for such a detailed post. It thoroughly answered all my questions. Now if you could only tell us when they'll finally send out the decision letters. :) I interviewed almost 2 months ago. What is taking them so long?

That was extremely helpful, docgrad. Thanks again for such a detailed post. It thoroughly answered all my questions. Now if you could only tell us when they'll finally send out the decision letters. :) I interviewed almost 2 months ago. What is taking them so long?

I don't think that anyone on this forum really knows why it's taking a long time for you guys to hear. It could be a few things including:
1. There supposedly were a lot of applicants this year.

2. There were many administrative changes this year. Our program, the Sackler-NY state program has a new dean. The NY office also has a new dean. I'm assuming that this might have something to do with the delay, it might not.

Hang in there guys - I remember stressing about this at around this time a year ago. I know it's easy to look back with 20/20 hindsight and tell you guys to chill out everything will be ok etc etc.. prob don't wanna hear about it..
But if you think about it rationally, worrying yourself and stressing yourself can't help your chances. So just enjoy yourself, make the best of your time and spend time with the ppl you like b/c you may not see the much over the next 3-4 years.

USMLE prep:
The curriculum for the pre-clinical years has changed a lot over the past few years. It is still going through some growing pains. Our final exams are shelf exams (supplied by the USMLE I believe). I guess this is good prep, I'm not really sure. I'm sure the USMLE requires an abnormal amount of independent study either way.

Overall I'm enjoying my experience here. TA is a great city!
Oh yeah - and the 4th years had a very successful match. I don't remember all off of the top of my head, but people matched into very competitive programs.

Good luck prospective students, enjoy your time before school

Last edited:
Fyi, I called last week and asked when they will start sending out decisions. The person I spoke to said early April.

How does a degree from Sackler work exactly? I understand that you become accredited in NY but does that mean you have to do anything extra to work in any other state? Aside from trouble getting residencies because of the stigma attached to foreign schools, is there any other downside of going to Sackler? Would you say that most people recognize and regard Sackler as better than any of the Caribbean medical schools?

When you graduate sackler you are an MD just like any other MD from any other school. If you are curious about Any sort of "stigma" or how being at sackler compairs to any other school in the types of residencies students get, just look at the match list from this year. I think that speaks for itself. But I will say that you do not see those sorts of match lists from the carribean. People do quite well from sackler. You can definately get what you want...

Hey applicants for the class of 2015!

I'm a current first year student at Sackler and am willing to answer any questions you may have about the application process, the school, life in Israel, etc. I'm posting this year's match list below for reference (it can also we viewed on the Sackler website).

CLASS OF 2011 RESIDENCY POSITIONS

ANESTHESIOLOGY
Boston University Medical Center, Boston Massachusetts
SUNY Health Science Center, Brooklyn, New York
University of California San Francisco Program, San Francisco, California
University of Rochester/Strong Memorial Hosp., Rochester, New York
FAMILY MEDICINE
Jackson Memorial Hospital Program, Miami, Florida
Kaiser Permanente Orange County, California
University of Connecticut Health Center, Farmington, Connecticut
INTERNAL MEDICINE
Albert Einstein College of Medicine, Jacobi Medical Center, Bronx, New York
Cedars Sinai Medical Center, Los Angeles, California
Drexel University COM/Hahnemann University Hosp., Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Johns Hopkins University/Sinai Hospital, Baltimore, Maryland
Lenox Hill Hospital Program, New York, New York
Maimonides Medical Center, Brooklyn, New York
Mount Sinai School of Medicine Program, New York, New York
Oregon Health & Science University Program, Portland, Oregon
Winthrop University Hospital Program, Mineola, New York
MEDICINE PRELIMINARY
Albert Einstein College of Medicine, Monteifore Medical Center, Bronx, New York
Louisiana State University/Ochsner Clinic Foundation Prgm., New Orleans, Louisiana
University of Illinois College of Medicine, Chicago, Illinois
University of Missouri at Kansas City Program, Kansas City, Missouri

EMERGENCY MEDICINE
Long Island Jewish Medical Center, New Hyde Park, New York
Rhode Island Hospital/Brown University Program, Providence, Rhode Island
University of Massachusetts Medical School, Worcester, Massachusetts
OBSTETRICS & GYNECOLOGY
Albert Einstein Medical Center, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Emory University Program, Atlanta, Georgia
Lutheran Medical Center, Brooklyn, New York
St. Barnabas Medical Center Program, Livingston, New Jersey
OPHTHALMOLOGY
Louisiana State University/Ochsner Clinic Foundation Prgm., New Orleans, Louisiana
OTOLARYNGOLOGY
University of Pennsylvania Program, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
PEDIATRICS
Albert Einstein College of Medicine, Jacobi Medical Center, Bronx, New York
Childrens National Medical Center/George Washington U. Program, Washington, DC
Harbor-UCLA Medical Center, Los Angeles, California
North Shore-Long Island Jewish Health System, New Hyde Park, New York
St. Louis Childrens Hospital, St. Louis, Missouri
University of Connecticut Health Center, Farmington, Connecticut
University of New Mexico Program, Albuquerque, New Mexico
PEDIATRICS PRELIMINARY
SUNY Health Science Center, Brooklyn New York
PSYCHIATRY
Georgetown University Hospital Program, Washington, DC
Long Island Jewish Medical Center, New Hyde Park, New York
University of Chicago Program, Chicago, Illinois
University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
PHYSICIAL MEDICINE & REHABILATION
Boston University Medical Center, Boston, Massachusetts
Mount. Sinai School of Medicine Program, New York, New York
RADIOLOGY DIAGNOSTIC
Albert Einstein College of Medicine/Jacobi Medical Center, Bronx, New York
Bronx Lebanon Hospital Center Program, Bronx, New York
Mount. Sinai School of Medicine Program, New York, New York
SURGERY
Albert Einstein College of Medicine/Monteifore Medical Center, Bronx, New York
Drexel University COM/Hahnemann University Hosp., Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Inova Fairfax Hospital, Falls Church, Virginia
Santa Barbara Cottage Hospital, Santa Barbara, California
SURGERY PRELIMINARY
Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, Boston, Massachusetts
Wayne State University/Detroit Medical Center, Detroit, Michigan
TRANSITIONAL
Maryland General Hospital, Baltimore Maryland
St. Mary's Mercy Hospital, Livonia, Michigan

Did any of you come to Israel with a significant other, know someone who did, or are planning to?

If so, what are they doing/planning on doing there? What are some resources for jobs/programs for them? What are the long term visa options? Any info and tips would be appreciated! Thank you.

Impressive match list for a foreign school! Definitely a bit comforting to see.

Can you tell me if anyone/how many people failed to match or had to scramble? To your knowledge did the students who matched IM at Hopkins and Rads at Sinai (etc.) have significant personal connections at those places, or were they just that good (or some combo of both)?

Thanks for your help!

Can you tell me if anyone/how many people failed to match or had to scramble? To your knowledge did the students who matched IM at Hopkins and Rads at Sinai (etc.) have significant personal connections at those places, or were they just that good (or some combo of both)?

Thanks for your help!

A few people had to scramble but they were able to secure spots very early on in the scramble. The list above includes the people that scrambled. And from my knowledge the great matches did not have significant personal connections going into it; that is not to say that they did not make connections along the way (away rotations and such).

Thanks for your help!

2 people had to scramble for categorical spots. and 5 needed just prelim years since they had their advanced placements. oh and to my knowledge no one had connections to the places they matched into

i applied here recently. anyone have any thoughts on my chances? i havent seen a lot of discussion about stats here... but maybe some of you who have been accepted here can shed some light?

my cgpa:3.1 (Emory, I know not great but upward trend 3.7 with many bios senior year)

MCAT: 30T (10 in each section)

5 recommendation letters (3 profs, 2 Docs)

i also have 5 years of research experience with 2 diff labs, one at mass general and the other at MSKCC in nyc. tons of volunteering and other ECs as well

im from NY, from a very jewish town, however im not jewish. does this hurt my chances? I would love to spend 4 years in Israel, and it seems like Sackler is clearly an excellent school.

msaleinzap:

Questions regarding stats are asked all the time regarding Sackler. The school does not publish any sort of entrance data so it really is difficult to estimate averages. I would say you definitely have a chance, how good? really no way to know.

My recommendation is to really shine at the interview.. they want to see motivated students with a true desire to study in Israel. As far as religion, that should have no weight in the decision. The long term research and EC's will definitely help some, be sure to talk about them in the interview.