Sackler 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thanks DrVariables for your information; it makes me a tad more nervous for my interview but it's good to know.

Does anyone know what the attrition rate at Sackler is? I saw the match list and was very impressed but it left me wondering if this is like the Caribbean where the match list is impressive but you know lots of people don't even get to that point.

I'm not 100% sure but I spoke with one of my brother's good friends who finished at Sackler a couple of years ago and is now studying Internal Medicine in NYC (forget exactly which hospital but a good one)... Anyways he told me that 83/83 of his graduating class were matched, and most people got their first priority if not second. So I was impressed. I suspect it's like anything else, if you do your work you'll be fine :)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Got letter via snail mail last week. Stoked! I had my second interview about a week and a half ago so the turn around was pretty quick...... GL to everyone! :xf:

3.48 GPA 33Q

Got letter via snail mail last week. Stoked! I had my second interview about a week and a half ago so the turn around was pretty quick...... GL to everyone! :xf:

3.48 GPA 33Q

Congrats!! Did they ever explain why they wanted to interview again??

Members don't see this ad :)
1) Thanks. 2) Not really. I'm still a bit confused about the nature of the 2nd interview. Perhaps a second opinion? Who knows. It all worked out I guess..... :)

There was a committee meeting today and I'm hoping and praying that a decision was made on my file. This 2+ month wait is starting to wear me out. Did anyone who interviewed in early to mid-march hear anything yet??

There was a committee meeting today and I'm hoping and praying that a decision was made on my file. This 2+ month wait is starting to wear me out. Did anyone who interviewed in early to mid-march hear anything yet??

I interviewed on 3/9 and received an acceptance letter last week. I'm sure you'll hear something soon. Stay hopeful. You're still in the running until you hear otherwise. Best of luck to you. :luck:

I interviewed on 3/9 and received an acceptance letter last week. I'm sure you'll hear something soon. Stay hopeful. You're still in the running until you hear otherwise. Best of luck to you. :luck:

So I interviewed in March and I know for a fact people who interviewed after me have gotten responses. I wasn't sure how that worked. So after enough probing around I found that the only time when a persons file is reviewed is when their interviewer is available to meet with the committee. I'm not sure if that clears anything up. But each day they say a day later then a week later you'll find out. Now I'm hearing not till the first few weeks in June, but I'm not really sure how credible that is. The wait is difficult but hopefully worth it. :xf:

Any news updates please people keep us posted. Thanks :)

I've been accepted to my top choice so I will likely be withdrawing from Sackler's waitlist. I was very disturbed when I was informed that Sackler is "better than low tier US medical schools", because not only is this conjecture, but if anyone was to choose to go to Sackler over a US MD school you would be out of your mind. I was left with a really bad impression of the school because of this and still can't believe they waitlisted me. GL to class of 2015!

I've been accepted to my top choice so I will likely be withdrawing from Sackler's waitlist. I was very disturbed when I was informed that Sackler is "better than low tier US medical schools", because not only is this conjecture, but if anyone was to choose to go to Sackler over a US MD school you would be out of your mind. I was left with a really bad impression of the school because of this and still can't believe they waitlisted me. GL to class of 2015!

When did you interview? When did you get waitlisted?

For those who've been accepted and plan on attending, can you comment on your ties to Israel please. Specifically, time spent in Israel and Hebrew proficiency. Thanks.

When did you interview? When did you get waitlisted?

Interviewed late feb and waitlisted a couple months later. i just couldn't believe the audacity it takes to say you're superior to any LCME accredited medical school, when you are not.

Interviewed late feb and waitlisted a couple months later. i just couldn't believe the audacity it takes to say you're superior to any LCME accredited medical school, when you are not.

Did your interviewer say that?! If so, they definitely should not have, and I don't believe that that's the narrative of the school as a whole. It was a stupid thing to say. My interviewer told me straight-out, "if you're accepted to any US MD school, go there. If not, come to Sackler and work hard and you'll do fine."

i was a little surprised when i saw all the 4.0s and 3.8s getting in (and seeming really stoked) on this forum. for accepted students r u guys choosing sackler over us med schools? i thought the average here was gonna be like 3.5-3.6, seems more like 3.7. seems much more competitive than i imagined

Members don't see this ad :)
Did your interviewer say that?! If so, they definitely should not have, and I don't believe that that's the narrative of the school as a whole. It was a stupid thing to say. My interviewer told me straight-out, "if you're accepted to any US MD school, go there. If not, come to Sackler and work hard and you'll do fine."

He said that to me, verbatim, several times over the course of the interview. I also felt like the guy had no idea how to interview someone and the conversation went nowhere.

He said that to me, verbatim, several times over the course of the interview. I also felt like the guy had no idea how to interview someone and the conversation went nowhere.

He sounds like a knob. I had one overtly *****ic interviewer myself at a US school. Anyway, you're better off at SUNY so good luck there. I wish I were joining you. Sigh......

He sounds like a knob. I had one overtly *****ic interviewer myself at a US school. Anyway, you're better off at SUNY so good luck there. I wish I were joining you. Sigh......

I hope it works out for you. Are you sitting on any waitlists?

I hope it works out for you. Are you sitting on any waitlists?

Hey thanks man. I am on 2 waitlists but I'm not really counting on that coming through for me. You never know though.

Don't get me wrong, I'm psyched to have gotten into Tel Aviv, and it will be an amazing experience for sure. Just not too eager to deal with the additional complications (particularly in the match), which I'm sure you've considered as well.

I'm trying to decide between the Columbia-Ben Gurion program and Sackler. I thought I was pretty set on Sackler, and now I'm beginning to have second thoughts. They both seem to have great residency placements but I'm still unsure of what I'm going to do....... Is there a real benefit for selecting one over the other? I'd like to withdraw from one to open up a spot but I can't seem to get any solid answers to this question (although I've seen similar arguments made for technion vs. sackler......)

medman,

Congrats on the acceptances! After talking to current students and grads of both programs, the general feel I've gotten is that if you are sure you want to go into international/global health and are interested primarily in primary care BGU-MSIH is a great choice. If you're not completely sure or want to go into a non-primary care or more competitive residency, Sackler may give you a slight advantage over Ben Gurion, as it's a bit more established in the eyes of residency programs.

This is by no means absolute truth, but just the sense I've gotten. Good luck with the decision.

I'm trying to decide between the Columbia-Ben Gurion program and Sackler. I thought I was pretty set on Sackler, and now I'm beginning to have second thoughts. They both seem to have great residency placements but I'm still unsure of what I'm going to do....... Is there a real benefit for selecting one over the other? I'd like to withdraw from one to open up a spot but I can't seem to get any solid answers to this question (although I've seen similar arguments made for technion vs. sackler......)

I'm in the same exact position as you but I'm leaning more towards Sackler. It's hard to beat living in Tel Aviv. I guess it all depends on what you see yourself doing after med school. I think I may want to do surgery and I was a little more impressed with Sackler's match list in that department.

Hey I asked this earlier and got a response but I too might have to decide between the 2 schools since I got into BGU MSIH and have an upcoming interview with Sackler.

I know BGU MSIH has a low attrition rate meaning that almost everyone gets through all 4 years; I was wondering again if that's the same case in Sackler?

It's definitely a tough choice for those deciding between both. I agree that it depends on what you want to do afterwards especially if you want to specialize and not be in primary care.

Hey Guys,

I'm a current M2 at MSIH. I've spoken to a few program directors and with respect to matching they've told me that it will all come down to two main things; your step 1 score and publications. Sackler is ~20 years older than MSIH so it's possible that can help (alumni connections). Both Tel-Aviv University and BGU are big universities in Israel and you will have the opportunity to do research. If you don't have time during your studies, then you can take a year off after 3rd year and do research either in Israel or the US. This is very common with students studying at US allopathic schools as well.

Robert, with respect to Sackler's atrition rate, it's definitely very low. Sackler is not one of those schools that gives you a 'second chance to prove yourself'. If you have solid stats and you have a good interview, you'll have a good chance at acceptance. They will not accept people they think will flunk out. Sackler's match record is very impressive. Year after year I see their match and it's very solid. If you do the work, it'll pay off. Attrition rates are a major problem at the for-profit Caribbean schools. A lot of their profit comes from students that finish only one semester or 1 year. They let in a lot of students that should never have started their program in the first place. They over-fill their classes with the expectation that 50% won't make it to clerkship. It's a good business model, but it creates an institution that has little respect in the medical community. Anyways, that's far from how things work at other medical schools around the world. Institutions have reputations to keep so don't be afraid of attrition elsewhere. You do the work, you'll get through.

As for BGU-MSIH, come here if you see yourself working in the field of global health. You should visit both TA and Be'er sheva and talk to the students at both schools. There's a very different vibe at each school. We're a young school that has progressed a lot over the last decade. I can't wait to see how the school is in 10 years. I think our students are really going to make a mark in the world. We have a great student body and if you have that extra spark of altruism that's so common amongst MSIH students, you'll fit right in.

Hey Guys,

I'm a current M2 at MSIH. I've spoken to a few program directors and with respect to matching they've told me that it will all come down to two main things; your step 1 score and publications. Sackler is ~20 years older than MSIH so it's possible that can help (alumni connections). Both Tel-Aviv University and BGU are big universities in Israel and you will have the opportunity to do research. If you don't have time during your studies, then you can take a year off after 3rd year and do research either in Israel or the US. This is very common with students studying at US allopathic schools as well.

Robert, with respect to Sackler's atrition rate, it's definitely very low. Sackler is not one of those schools that gives you a 'second chance to prove yourself'. If you have solid stats and you have a good interview, you'll have a good chance at acceptance. They will not accept people they think will flunk out. Sackler's match record is very impressive. Year after year I see their match and it's very solid. If you do the work, it'll pay off. Attrition rates are a major problem at the for-profit Caribbean schools. A lot of their profit comes from students that finish only one semester or 1 year. They let in a lot of students that should never have started their program in the first place. They over-fill their classes with the expectation that 50% won't make it to clerkship. It's a good business model, but it creates an institution that has little respect in the medical community. Anyways, that's far from how things work at other medical schools around the world. Institutions have reputations to keep so don't be afraid of attrition elsewhere. You do the work, you'll get through.

As for BGU-MSIH, come here if you see yourself working in the field of global health. You should visit both TA and Be'er sheva and talk to the students at both schools. There's a very different vibe at each school. We're a young school that has progressed a lot over the last decade. I can't wait to see how the school is in 10 years. I think our students are really going to make a mark in the world. We have a great student body and if you have that extra spark of altruism that's so common amongst MSIH students, you'll fit right in.

Thank you for the input. I have decided on Sackler but I have to say I really do like BGU-MSIH. In truth I also see myself doing something in surgery and I do think the more established reputation of Sackler will be more apt to help facilitate that possibility. My thanks again!

Ugh!!! I was wait-listed! This means more waiting. Anyone hear any news ? Does Anyone know how many students Sackler takes off the wait list every year? I'm gonna try best to get in. Anyone here can give us waitlisters any pointers? Sorry for the many questions, I'm so disappointed.

Hey thanks man. I am on 2 waitlists but I'm not really counting on that coming through for me.

I'm very happy to eat these words. I'll be withdrawing my acceptance to Sackler. Good luck to those of you who go to Tel Aviv. It will be amazing, and part of me is sorry that I won't be joining you. Good luck to all. :luck:

Ugh!!! I was wait-listed! This means more waiting. Anyone hear any news ? Does Anyone know how many students Sackler takes off the wait list every year? I'm gonna try best to get in. Anyone here can give us waitlisters any pointers? Sorry for the many questions, I'm so disappointed.

Well I did know someone who had graduated from Sackler and he emailed Sackler on my behalf. Perhaps if you know a Sackler alum, it may be beneficial. In the end though that can only go so far and your gpa, mcat and interview will naturally be the major determinants...... Hope that helps.....

Hey Guys,

I got waitlisted about 2 weeks ago, and was feeling really down about it. All I kept hearing was how nearly impossible it was to get in off the waitlist.

A friend of mine in the program suggested that I be quite aggressive and keep showing them how interested I am.

When I sent in my letter of intent to stay on the waitlist, it was almost like another personal statement. Anything just so they can get a sense as to how serious I was about attending. I also met with an alum working in OBGYN here at Mt. Sinai in New York and asked him to write a character letter on my behalf basically saying that he met me and I was a good fit.

I got my acceptance letter this morning - and am definitely going.

Any reason you have to write them: letter of intent, new grades, another score, another recommendation - make sure you make it count! Don't just write them for no reason, but I would try to find an excuse to update and really convey how interested I am.

Granted, I'm only one person (n=1), but it can't hurt.

Good Luck to all, and I'll see you all (either this cycle or next), in Tel Aviv.

Accepted 28P. Anyone have ideas about apartments and how living works?

Just called the admissions office, and they said that their next meeting is June 2 or so, and they should be getting through everybody who interviewed in April then, so we should hear back by mid-June most likely.

Edit: Found out later that day I was accepted (and I interviewed April)

Last edited:
Just called the admissions office, and they said that their next meeting is June 2 or so, and they should be getting through everybody who interviewed in April then, so we should hear back by mid-June most likely.

Edit: Found out later that day I was accepted (and I interviewed April)

Congrats bro!
Polling question: Would it be insane to turn down McMaster University (In Hamilton, Ontario, Canada for you all Americans :p) for Sackler ???

Congrats bro!
Polling question: Would it be insane to turn down McMaster University (In Hamilton, Ontario, Canada for you all Americans :p) for Sackler ???

If you're from Canada, I would go to McMaster. One of my mentors in Minneapolis is a prominent psychiatrist who graduated from McMaster (then McGill I believe) and has many great things to say about the program. I know they don't take many americans, however.

Full disclosure, I'm on the waitlist at Sackler and one more student that does not attend is one more chance for me to be accepted. ;)

Congrats bro!

Yes. Almost impossible to match in Canada as an IMG.

Thank you both ^^ for the reply,
So the thing is I hear amazing things about McMaster's program as well, but at the same time it is a 3 year program with literally only 3 weeks vacation a year and so I'm wondering if it is worth it... I'm from Toronto and so coming to back to Canada is obviously a plus, but at the same time I'm not totally opposed to moving to the US :p ... and I love Israel... lol..
Anyways thanks for the input I've just been driving myself insane with the decision... :)

To all all those wait-listed:

I am a current first year and would like say that I was waitlisted from March and was excepted 1 week before school. Do not lose hope! Continue to call the office! Try to think of something new to say and try to get alumni to write for you - even just a short email. If you know of any doctors ask them to send something too! The office and committee need to know your name! I used to call once a week and try to speak to the Dean I never even got through to her anyway but the office definitely knew me! Do this while trying not to be too annoying. I know of 2 other people in my class that got in last minute and there must be others as well that got in off the waitlist during the year. So again don't lose hope!

Good Luck to you all.

If you're interested in practicing medicine in Canada, go to the Canadian school. Sackler, as a NY Program, is better if you want to practice medicine in America.

This is all hearsay, but my friend was thinking about applying to Canadian schools, and found out that Canadian students don't do well when you're trying to match in America......but going to an American school, you won't do well if trying to practice in Canada.

Did either of you guys do anything in particular to persuade the committee to accept you?

Did either of you guys do anything in particular to persuade the committee to accept you?

They asked for a letter of intent to stay on the list, and I pretty much gave them another personal statement. It had 3 parts: (1) why I want to be in Israel (2) Why I want to be a doctor and (3) why specifically the Sackler program.

I also met with an Alum here in NY who was going to write me a character letter, but I got off the list before the letter went out.

Good luck!

They asked for a letter of intent to stay on the list, and I pretty much gave them another personal statement. It had 3 parts: (1) why I want to be in Israel (2) Why I want to be a doctor and (3) why specifically the Sackler program.

I also met with an Alum here in NY who was going to write me a character letter, but I got off the list before the letter went out.

Good luck!

Well, I was waitlisted on 5/19 which is the day both of you were accepted. Sounds like I've done done all the right things. I know the committee meets agin tomorrow, so hopefully they'll give me a second shot. :xf:

I also sent a detailed letter of intent and an extra reference letter. Good luck!

Got a bit of a late start, just got interviewed last week, 5/25, then was out of the country until yesterday. I wanted to still write my interviewer a follow-up thank you letter, but I never got his business card and don't have the correct spelling of his name or his contact info. Does anyone who was interviewed in Sackler's NY office remember who interviewed them? I wouldn't want to offend my interviewer (who's on the admissions committee) by bypassing him and thanking only Dr. Lazar. Suggestions?

Call the office. They'll tell you who you interviewed with and how to contact them.

Hey guys,
So I finally decided to stay in Canada and declined my offer of admission to Sackler today. Hopefully one of you on the wait-list will get my spot =) I wish you all the best of luck no matter where you end up and you will all make great MDs!!! Props to whoever started this forum, and to all of you for contributing. It's been really helpful and fun reading =) Cheers!!
p.s. I found this and thought it was really funny lol :diebanana:

Has anyone heard anything (good or bad news) since yesterday's committee meeting?

Just got interview invite for next week! So late what an awesome surprise!

3.1, 30T
tons of research in nyc

Any interview advice? So pumped! Would love to go to sackler!

Just got interview invite for next week! So late what an awesome surprise!

3.1, 30T
tons of research in nyc

Any interview advice? So pumped! Would love to go to sackler!

Hey!

Congrats on the Interview.

Here are my two cents on it: the interview was very nice and laid back (in NYC), and the guy I interviewed with was a cardiologist who works at NYU and was very nice.

He kept asking me if I had any questions, and I had a few (like can you stay and practice in Israel? or are there any research opportunities?), he didn't have very many answers about those.

We got along great, and I tried to convince him that I know what I'm getting myself into by going to Israel (which wasn't hard because I'm Israeli).

Good luck, and if you have specific questions let me know.

For those of you waiting to hear back perhaps from the 6/2 meeting date they had, I got the dreaded waitlist news this afternoon. Kind of hard to believe that there are "only a small number" of applicants on this list (as stated on the letter) when it seems like everyone here says they're on the waitlist. But it's good to hear that some of you got off of it so I'll have to be aggressive and see what happens.