Sackler 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
11 8 11 MCAT 3.63 cum GPA, 3.73 sci GPA

App Submitted April 26th, Interviewed May 3rd. Accepted this morning via Snail mail!

Super excited. I am def going here.

My advice to those on waitlists and applying: You should definitely send in an update letter telling them anything new since your app was submitted and since your interview. also, I used the extra space in the app to explain why studying medicine in Israel was so important to me.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey!

Congrats on the Interview.

Here are my two cents on it: the interview was very nice and laid back (in NYC), and the guy I interviewed with was a cardiologist who works at NYU and was very nice.

He kept asking me if I had any questions, and I had a few (like can you stay and practice in Israel? or are there any research opportunities?), he didn't have very many answers about those.

We got along great, and I tried to convince him that I know what I'm getting myself into by going to Israel (which wasn't hard because I'm Israeli).

Good luck, and if you have specific questions let me know.

If you're interviewing in New York and have Lazar, he told me the only thing that he wanted to see is:
1) you are a person that can hold a good conversation
2) you have outside interests (hobbies, etc)
3) interest in sackler

He spent about 80% of the interview telling me about how beautiful it is is and great and whatnot. If you've talked to anybody who is a current student, I would say bring that up and talk about what they told you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats on the acceptance. I'm quite envious. I have to say, just don't understand the screening process. I interviewed on 4/16 and was waitlisted 5/19. 31P, 3.5 cum, 3.6 sci, 5+ years of medical ECs, tons of letters of rec (including a sackler alum), and published research. I've already sent two letters of intent since becoming waitlisted and I had a 4th year friend of mine write a letter to Dr. Lazar. I just don't know what else to do. I called the office today the they told me that the waitlist was not reviewed on the 6/2 meeting, though this seems to be incorrect as per your post. waaaah. Just let me in, sackler!

Comments?

You sound super qualified for the program, I was 31R 3.35 GPA from a top 10 school (with all of the extracurricular stuff), was waitlisted and then got in. Stay positive, the acceptance list is still forming, and you're probably right up there - keep up the pressure on them.

Congrats on the acceptance. I'm quite envious. I have to say, just don't understand the screening process. I interviewed on 4/16 and was waitlisted 5/19. 31P, 3.5 cum, 3.6 sci, 5+ years of medical ECs, tons of letters of rec (including a sackler alum), and published research. I've already sent two letters of intent since becoming waitlisted and I had a 4th year friend of mine write a letter to Dr. Lazar. I just don't know what else to do. I called the office today the they told me that the waitlist was not reviewed on the 6/2 meeting, though this seems to be incorrect as per your post. waaaah. Just let me in, sackler!

Comments?

Rocketz,
I just reread my post and realized I spoke as if I was on the waitlist. I was trying to address some of the concerns from some previous posts for people on the waitlist. What i meant is that if you are on the waitlist, you should show them how much going to study in Israel would benefit you. I hope to see you in August!

If there is any questions I can answer for you or anyone else, dont hesitate to PM me! I just went through this dehumanizing process and i will help however I could. Good Luck!

^^
Thanks for the good words guys. I've called the office so many times that Yolanda and I like :xf:

Hah, anyways, I have no real reason to keep posting here, other than I need a place to vent where at least some of you know what I'm going through. For those of you accepted, do you have really strong ties to Israel? Do you speak Hebrew fluently? Do you have a flawless plan to bring peace to Gaza?

Just scoping out what I'm up against.

^^
Thanks for the good words guys. I've called the office so many times that Yolanda and I like :xf:

Hah, anyways, I have no real reason to keep posting here, other than I need a place to vent where at least some of you know what I'm going through. For those of you accepted, do you have really strong ties to Israel? Do you speak Hebrew fluently? Do you have a flawless plan to bring peace to Gaza?

Just scoping out what I'm up against.

Regarding the Israel issue:

I think that as an international medical program Sackler has a lot to prove (and it has). One of the worst things it can do is let someone in who can't handle being a 7-9 hour time difference from their family. They have a great retention rate because they're certain that the people they admit can handle that.

For me, the Israel part was the easiest. I'm Israeli, my parents, grandparents, and great grandparents live there, and I'm fluent in Hebrew.

Try to convince them that you wouldn't just survive there, but that you'll thrive there. That you're interested in the place, the people, and the culture and aren't just looking for a way (any way) to be a doctor.

I don't know how many times you've contacted them, but I'd try to mention all of that in a letter of intent. Be passionate!

Hope to see you Ba'Aretz.

Regarding the Israel issue:

I think that as an international medical program Sackler has a lot to prove (and it has). One of the worst things it can do is let someone in who can't handle being a 7-9 hour time difference from their family. They have a great retention rate because they're certain that the people they admit can handle that.

For me, the Israel part was the easiest. I'm Israeli, my parents, grandparents, and great grandparents live there, and I'm fluent in Hebrew.

Try to convince them that you wouldn't just survive there, but that you'll thrive there. That you're interested in the place, the people, and the culture and aren't just looking for a way (any way) to be a doctor.

I don't know how many times you've contacted them, but I'd try to mention all of that in a letter of intent. Be passionate!

Hope to see you Ba'Aretz.

Thanks for the response. I feel I've tried to hammer that point in my letters and interview. I do have family in Israel and have spent time living there, though only weeks at a time. Nevertheless, I am not fluent, or even close to fluent in Hebrew. I have a feeling that as the competitiveness is increasing and the applicant pool is becoming larger, the committee is looking for students who can speak the language, have lived in Israeli for a prolonged period, or even Israeli such as yourself. Nothing I can do about that, I suppose. Your thoughts?

Thanks for the response. I feel I've tried to hammer that point in my letters and interview. I do have family in Israel and have spent time living there, though only weeks at a time. Nevertheless, I am not fluent, or even close to fluent in Hebrew. I have a feeling that as the competitiveness is increasing and the applicant pool is becoming larger, the committee is looking for students who can speak the language, have lived in Israeli for a prolonged period, or even Israeli such as yourself. Nothing I can do about that, I suppose. Your thoughts?

Dunno. I am fluent in Hebrew, lived in Israel, etc. and I got WLed. Luckily I got into a US MD school.

Rocketz,
IMO, I dont believe the program is necessarily looking for hebrew speaking, Israeli students. Personally, I speak broken hebrew, have been to israel on birthright, and have some family there as well. also, when you are sending in updates, make sure you are giving them something that adds to your application, more than just 'I REALLY want to go here'. Best of luck!

Rocketz,
IMO, I dont believe the program is necessarily looking for hebrew speaking, Israeli students. Personally, I speak broken hebrew, have been to israel on birthright, and have some family there as well. also, when you are sending in updates, make sure you are giving them something that adds to your application, more than just 'I REALLY want to go here'. Best of luck!

Thanks everyone for the input. I think I've done all the right things. Hopefully they'll give me a shot. I believe they meet again on the 15th. I don't live in NY, but do you think it would be of any benefit to request a second interview, this time with Dean Lazar? My first interview was with a Sackler alum in Mpls.

Thanks everyone for the input. I think I've done all the right things. Hopefully they'll give me a shot. I believe they meet again on the 15th. I don't live in NY, but do you think it would be of any benefit to request a second interview, this time with Dean Lazar? My first interview was with a Sackler alum in Mpls.

I don't think that Hebrew nor Israeli-ness is what they're looking for. The alum I met with said that Hebrew would be tremendously useful, but certainly not required.

I tried to ask for a second interview when I was waitlisted, but they weren't super receptive to that idea, but truthfully I didn't push that hard.

I would push for another interview, phone interview, video chat, or in person, whatever it takes.

Remember, as my good friend Wen says: "Hasta que salga, en la vida, en la ciencia, y en la cama.*"

*"Until it works, in life, in science, and in bed." :D

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think that Hebrew nor Israeli-ness is what they're looking for. The alum I met with said that Hebrew would be tremendously useful, but certainly not required.

I tried to ask for a second interview when I was waitlisted, but they weren't super receptive to that idea, but truthfully I didn't push that hard.

I would push for another interview, phone interview, video chat, or in person, whatever it takes.

Remember, as my good friend Wen says: "Hasta que salga, en la vida, en la ciencia, y en la cama.*"

*"Until it works, in life, in science, and in bed." :D

Funny you should mention that. I actually called today and inquired about a second interview. Just as you experienced, they explained second intrviews were not granted. Hmm...

Another oddity, the people in the office I've talked to seem to think that nobody has been accepted off the waitlist. Not sure what to make of all of this. I think it's best if I just sit tight and hope for the best.

So I interviewed this week with Dr. Lazar,

Awesome interview, very conversational, interesting and Dr. Lazar made me very excited about the prospect of medical school in Israel.

I think its all about the impression they get when you sit down and start talking. They want to know whether or not you have a good personality and if you are genuine about your application. What I mean by this is, they are very knowledgable and understand that most people have applied or are applying to US MDs and that Sackler may be a safety net for some.

I did face some tough on the spot questions which I was very ready for, and Dr. Lazar even told me that all my answers were well presented. As he put it, the sheet is blank when you go in for the interview and its up to your conversation abilities to fill it in.

As for me, my weaknesses were obvious (undergrad gpa) but my skills and successes (research, mcat) clearly showed my ability to be a successful student.

As for the timeline, Dr. Lazar pulled out the schedule at the end of the interview in order to tell me exactly when the committee would be meeting again (6/29), and he said that I would be discussed at that time, and would probably receive word soon after.

My thoughts: if you havent interviewed, or you are sending updates/letters of intent, I would try to be as genuine as possible. Remember, everyone is saying "how awesome Israel would be and how much they love it etc. etc." I think it will help more to show experiences from your own life that may correlate with a career in diverse and dynamic environment such as the middle east.

Dr. Lazar was very cool and down to earth and really let me lead the direction of the interview. It lasted about 40 minutes and I would say we both spoke for equal amounts of time. After meeting him and seeing his love for the school and israel, it was a very positive experience.

Good luck to all, there were my 2 cents, hopefully I will get lucky in this late stage... who knows :xf::xf::xf:

Hey everyone,

Very positive conversations happening in here which is good to see.

I'm currently finishing my second year at Sackler (last exams tomorrow and next week) and just wanted to share some quick thoughts based on your above conversations. They are absolutely looking for independent / strong students that will have no problems being away from home. It would be terrible if they got 70 students here and 10 of them became homesick, culture shocked, or couldn't survive without mommy or daddy and decided to leave.

Language skills and connections to Israel are worth mentioning but probably not something that should not be harped on over say activities you are involved in, research, and other signs of your independent-abilities.

Going into the interview my Hebrew was nothing, just able to read (with vowels!) and I had no connections to Israel at all. If they ask you about any (as in my interview), just be prepared to confidently tell them no but have some other line of conversation to transition to. Don't stress and think this is a strike against you, certainly not. I'm sure the non-Jews in our program can attest to this. You could also have a conversation with a current or past student before the interview and mention that you spoke and that the student "only reassured you that TAU / Sackler was the right choice" and you would thrive there.

I'm definitely in favor of calling and writing the office if you are on the WL. Having people write on your behalf is definitely helpful. If you know an alumni or current student maybe try and have them write. I am sure you heard this, but be careful when you ask people to write. If they are going to send a crappy 5 line email maybe think twice. It's a fine line though, don't be obnoxious, the NY Office is small you don't want to be labeled as a prick.

If anyone has any specific questions about the program, hospitals, where to get the best falafel/shwarma, life here in Israel (which is freakin awesome) etc.. feel free to ask.

Good luck,

Hey everyone,

I'm currently finishing my second year at Sackler (last exams tomorrow and next week) and just wanted to share some quick thoughts based on your above conversations. They are absolutely looking for independent / strong students that will have no problems being away from home. It would be terrible if they got 70 students here and 10 of them became homesick, culture shocked, or couldn't survive without mommy or daddy and decided to leave.

Language skills and connections to Israel are worth mentioning but probably not something that should not be harped on over say activities you are involved in, research, and other signs of your independent-abilities.

Going into the interview my Hebrew was nothing, just able to read (with vowels!) and I had no connections to Israel at all. If they ask you about any (as in my interview), just be prepared to confidently tell them no but have some other line of conversation to transition to. Don't stress and think this is a strike against you, certainly not. I'm sure the non-Jews in our program can attest to this. You could also have a conversation with a current or past student before the interview and mention that you spoke and that the student "only reassured you that TAU / Sackler was the right choice" and you would thrive there.

I'm definitely in favor of calling and writing the office if you are on the WL. Having people write on your behalf is definitely helpful. If you know an alumni or current student maybe try and have them write. I am sure you heard this, but be careful when you ask people to write. If they are going to send a crappy 5 line email maybe think twice. It's a fine line though, don't be obnoxious, the NY Office is small you don't want to be labeled as a prick.

If anyone has any specific questions about the program, hospitals, where to get the best falafel/shwarma, life here in Israel (which is freakin awesome) etc.. feel free to ask.

Good luck,

Hey -

Any concerns about matching?

Thanks!

Hey everyone,

Good luck,

mmmmm shwarma.... Sackler, let me in!

Submitted my application yesterday (the day of the deadline!). Within an hour, I had an invite to interview. WAHOO!!!! Flying out to New York in a little over a week. Really hoping this works out....

Submitted my application yesterday (the day of the deadline!). Within an hour, I had an invite to interview. WAHOO!!!! Flying out to New York in a little over a week. Really hoping this works out....

ballsy move! Good luck!

In response to your question I am not concerned about matching... Where and what I match in is something that is in the back of my head, especially as I take the Step 1 next month, but whether or not I get a spot somewhere is not really a concern. 3rd / 4th years could probably give you some more specific information.

Sackler's match list speaks for itself.

In response to your question I am not concerned about matching... Where and what I match in is something that is in the back of my head, especially as I take the Step 1 next month, but whether or not I get a spot somewhere is not really a concern. 3rd / 4th years could probably give you some more specific information.

Sackler's match list speaks for itself.

Good luck on step 1, I'm sure you'll nail it!

I've been waitlisted as of 5/19. I called the office this morning and Yolanda told me my application was re-reviewed on Friday and a decision has been made. Hopefully I'll know in the next few days.

The committee meets for a final time on the 30th, but I imagine that my application was not the only reviewed on Friday. So, to all those still waiting, some of you may be hearing sooner than you expected.

GOOD LUCK TO EVERYONE... including myself :xf:

Thanks!! I'm so excited.

I interviewed in mid-March and received my wait list email on May 19th. If anyone has any other questions please let me know :)

Got my acceptance today! I'm literally shaking. So excited!

Accepted off the waitlist as well! Interviewed 5/23, waitlisted 6/7. Did anyone have to make a decision between here and BGU MSIH?

Congratulations everyone who got off the waitlist! where are you guys located? I'm in CA so I will probably be last to hear. Come on Sackler I WANT IN TOO PLEASE!

My stats were 3.4, 32R MCAT. I live in Florida by the way.

ab2989...Didn't you get into BGU MSIH? Would you go to Sackler over BGU MSIH if you got off the waitlist and why?

My stats were 3.4, 32R MCAT. I live in Florida by the way.

ab2989...Didn't you get into BGU MSIH? Would you go to Sackler over BGU MSIH if you got off the waitlist and why?

yes i did and yes i would. for various reasons, many of them personal and therefore not relevant on this forum. :) i will keep you posted via pm, pending sackler's decision. what about you? have you decided between the two?

Accepted off the waitlist as well! Interviewed 5/23, waitlisted 6/7. Did anyone have to make a decision between here and BGU MSIH?

Yes there were a few of us that were also accepted to BGU MSIH. I withdrew a few weeks ago for a few of my own personal reasons although it admittedly was a tough decision........

Yeah I need a couple days to go by before really making a real decision. I already can feel the difficulty of the decision. I also have an additional option beyond the two in the US so I'm deciding between 3 places. Fortunately, I have visited all 3 schools, as I did go to Israel earlier this month so I have everything I need to know; it's a matter of just letting it all process through.

Another Admissions Committee meeting was yesterday, so there should be more letters going out this morning.

...annnnnnnnd wait-listed....yet again.

Anyone out there have any advice for those of us wait-listed?

I saw some posts above about having alumni and students send in letters (I know an alum and student through other people, but don't really know any myself :(), and someone suggested calling, although I feel like that would just get on their nerves. Very thankful for any advice!

...annnnnnnnd wait-listed....yet again.

Anyone out there have any advice for those of us wait-listed?

I saw some posts above about having alumni and students send in letters (I know an alum and student through other people, but don't really know any myself :(), and someone suggested calling, although I feel like that would just get on their nerves. Very thankful for any advice!

im sorry to hear you got waitlisted. i know your pain. did they email you today?

oh wait - were you already waitlisted or were you a new applicant?

you said yet again so it sounded like maybe they updated you or something.

oh wait - were you already waitlisted or were you a new applicant?

you said yet again so it sounded like maybe they updated you or something.

Sorry, I meant another school wait-listing me. I'm a new applicant, and just got the decision.

So i only got my acceptance to sackler med of 2015, on june 20th. The letter was postmarked via snail mail on 6/17/11. Must've been some kind of miracle. I graudated Cornell University with a BA in biological sciences. My cum. GPA was about a 3.3, and I got a 27P on the ol' cat. I had plenty of clinical, research, and volunteering experience, same as everyone else. Though I did not send any further supporting essays or statements after being wait-listed in May. Not tryin to show off here by any means; to the contrary, I hope my less than stellar stats leading to an acceptance, provides hope to those that are still on the wire. Can't wait to meet my colleagues and live in Israel, a country I truly love. (My twelve years in an orthodox yeshivah in brooklyn may have increased my chances as well) Prior knowledge of hebrew seems to be a huge plus for sackler admittance... Good luck to all; I was in the same position as you several weeks ago, and understand the emotional toll the selection process can take. Hang in there! Seriously.

I think Sackler in general just wants to see that you can handle moving to Israel and that you will enjoy not suffer living far away from home in a med school environment and you have to prove that to them. I'm completely different that fltbsh BROOKLYN; I'm not Jewish and I don't know any words in Hebrew other than Shalom. I also don't have any Sackler connections in terms of close family or relatives like some of the other people in this thread.

What I did was just be very persistent....I sent 2 letters of interest, I spoke with my interviewer to help me give another good word, and I took advantage of a situation where I already was going to visit Israel to determine another school and visited Sackler and met with the program coordinator. I got off the waitlist in 10 days as a result. So there are ways to do this regardless of your background. I'm pulling for you all to get off the waitlist!

do they send rejections and waitlist decisions via snail mail too? or just acceptances?

just asking cuz i havent received any email yet and hope thats a good thing :xf:.

waiting on the mail'

good luck to everyone

I JUST GOT AN EMAIL SAYING I'M IN! I am SO psyched right now!!!!!!! :D