Sackler 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
For your reading pleasure -

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• 2012residencylist.pdf
    123.8 KB · Views: 310
Hey Trailhead,

Seems that you've been interviewed. Have you heard back from them yet? I've interviewed recently, and wonder when I'll hear back.

Also, do you know what the trends are? How often do the committee meet?? For those interviewed in March...

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Trailhead,

Seems that you've been interviewed. Have you heard back from them yet? I've interviewed recently, and wonder when I'll hear back.

Also, do you know what the trends are? How often do the committee meet?? For those interviewed in March...

Hey Drem,

I just had my interview recently and the interviewer told me that they meet once a month, so the next meeting will be in April (he didn't indicate if it will be beginning/middle/end of the month, but based on the acceptances that already went out, I think they meet early).

He added that even when they meet they might not get to every applicant who's interviewed so if we don't hear back, we shouldn't read into it. He also mentioned that decisions for some applications are postponed to a later meeting if they can't decide immediately whether to accept/reject/waitlist the first time.

The fact is that as much as we want to know the answer, we have to wait patiently because the whole process is slow and varies so much from application to application.

Good luck!

Thank you rlevitin. Hope to see you there!

Hey Trailhead,

I actually interview next week! Really excited about it, sounds like everyone else had a great experience. It is somewhat daunting to know that we might not hear back until late summer though. I can handle the essays, applications, interviews and so on, but it's the waiting that I have a hard time with. If I'm fortunate enough to be accepted (and that's a big if), I'll definitely be going. For both of you, is Sackler your #1 choice now, or are you still waiting from other schools?

Sackler's definitely #1, hope I get in soon. The interview was nice and easy. It wasn't my best day, but it felt like I left a positive impression. Good luck with your interview!!!

Sackler's definitely #1, hope I get in soon. The interview was nice and easy. It wasn't my best day, but it felt like I left a positive impression. Good luck with your interview!!!

Thanks! And good luck to you as well! Hopefully August finds us all arriving in Tel Aviv :xf:

Out of curiosity, has the recent escalation of tension between Israel and Iran given anyone pause in attending Sackler? Personally, I think it's just inflamed rhetoric and that the conflict will be avoided. But, when I tell any friends/family about possibly leaving for Israel for medical school, the first response always alludes to an impending war.

Out of curiosity, has the recent escalation of tension between Israel and Iran given anyone pause in attending Sackler? Personally, I think it's just inflamed rhetoric and that the conflict will be avoided. But, when I tell any friends/family about possibly leaving for Israel for medical school, the first response always alludes to an impending war.

I am slightly worried but I really doubt they would bomb Tel Aviv. The retaliation for such an attack would be beyond their imaginations. I find most people are fairly ignorant about the subject although I do read a lot about it. However, I think Israel will not tolerate the possibility of Iran getting a nuclear weapon and will attack if necessary.

Currently waitlisted and hoping I get in because Sackler is for sure my #1 choice.

Any word from sackler grads or students about my previous question? (page 2). Also, How much clinical do u get to do in the first 2 years. I heard from my buddy whos a first year that only 2 ppl didnt match out of 60 so thats pretty good..... FYI

I called the office last Friday, and they said the committee is meeting on April 12th. Wait listed students will be notified by email, accepted and rejected students will be notified by snail mail.

Good luck to you all. Hope to see you next year!

Thanks! And good luck to you as well! Hopefully August finds us all arriving in Tel Aviv :xf:

Sackler is my #1 as well.

As for the war talk, I think it is important to at least consider the geopolitical situation a bit. That being said, Tel Aviv is definitely the safest place to be in Israel should war break out. Beyond that there is always talk of impending war and disaster, but things have actually been very good on that front for a long while. They've been talking about an "impending" strike on Iran for the last 2-3 years and it's still yet to materialize.

I have a few friends in the IDF, and one in particular is just finishing up his 3 years. I remember thinking, when he first went over, that he might actually see some action because tensions were so high, and I was trying to reassure his girlfriend at the time that he'd be fine. Now that he's almost done I can say that he's not had to be a part of any conflict at all.

Last edited:
Any word from sackler grads or students about my previous question? (page 2). Also, How much clinical do u get to do in the first 2 years. I heard from my buddy whos a first year that only 2 ppl didnt match out of 60 so thats pretty good..... FYI

You can check out the curriculum here.

First 2 years are preclinical, next 2 are clinical clerkships, with one semester done in the US in 4th yr.

There is also a "doctoring" course throughout first year which, in other schools at least, have simulated patients and clinical scenarios.

As for the placements, at the top of this page someone posted a pdf, you could manually comparing it to the Carib. When people look at the match lists, do they actually know how good the various residencies are, or are they just looking at the specialties that were matched?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know when students need to be in Israel? When was orientation/when did classes start last year?
Thanks!

Never mind. Found the answer on Sackler 2015 (orientation last year was aug 21 and classes began sept 4)

Last edited by a moderator:
anyone want to start a facebook group? i tried to but it says I need to invite at least one other person.

I have an interview scheduled for next week, it will be my 1st interview for any school. What questions can I expect? I really have no idea what I will be asked, or what I should ask. Any advice?

I have an interview scheduled for next week, it will be my 1st interview for any school. What questions can I expect? I really have no idea what I will be asked, or what I should ask. Any advice?

I found reading through the Sackler 2015 thread very helpful. It's a casual interview, 1 on 1 conversation for about 45 minutes or so. Just be comfortable talking about yourself and your interest in medicine.

How many people here had their interview before March and still haven't heard anything? It seems from this thread like SDN has 3 people on WL and 2 accepted, if I counted properly. Anybody else WL/Accepted/Rejected or Interviewed and hasn't heard?

i had a number of medical school interviews. Ill give you some general topics interveiwers ask:
-why medicine
-what are your weaknesses/strengths
-Tell me about your research, volunteer etc
-Why you?
-How do you handle stress
-what do you do for fun?
-tell me about yourself
-what is your opinion about the healthcare crisis
-why "school X" and not another school

hope that helps

Sorry to Hijack your thread guys. Didn't want to start an entire new one.
I'm staying in TA this Summer (elective in July) and was looking for a sublet near Tel Aviv Medical Center.

Looking for:
1-2 bedrooms.
Furnished.
Parking +/-

Figured someone from Sackler is planning to be State side this Summer.

Thanks!

If you guys use an online housing bulletin board I would be grateful if you could direct me to it..

Sorry to Hijack your thread guys. Didn't want to start an entire new one.
I'm staying in TA this Summer (elective in July) and was looking for a sublet near Tel Aviv Medical Center.

Looking for:
1-2 bedrooms.
Furnished.
Parking +/-

Figured someone from Sackler is planning to be State side this Summer.

Thanks!

If you guys use an online housing bulletin board I would be grateful if you could direct me to it..

I forwarded this post to a friend at Sackler who said he posted it in their group... hopefully if anyone has something available they'll be in touch.

I called the office last Friday, and they said the committee is meeting on April 12th. Wait listed students will be notified by email, accepted and rejected students will be notified by snail mail.

Good luck to you all. Hope to see you next year!

Anybody have any idea when we should expect to hear back? Anybody get waitlist emails yet?

Last edited:
Anybody have any idea when we should expect to hear back? Anybody get waitlist emails yet?

Committee could not have met on the 12th. It was the last day of Passover.

Hi, I called them towards the end of March and they said the committee was meeting on the 12th of April. I also thought the timing was odd. Anyway, I called them again this past Monday and they said that they had moved the meeting to this Thursday April 19th, and that it takes 1-2 weeks to hear by snail mail. They mail decisions on the Friday and Monday after the meeting.

Best of luck!

Hi, I called them towards the end of March and they said the committee was meeting on the 12th of April. I also thought the timing was odd. Anyway, I called them again this past Monday and they said that they had moved the meeting to this Thursday April 19th, and that it takes 1-2 weeks to hear by snail mail. They mail decisions on the Friday and Monday after the meeting.

Best of luck!

I'll second Drem, thanks for the update!

A question for current students and others capable of commenting...
I know this has been brought up before (and I really don't intend to beat a dead horse), but with the significant increase in American med students (both MD and DO) and the current cap on available residency spots, where does that realistically place the Sackler grad come 2015 or 2016 and beyond? I realize there has been a lot of speculation, but some projections figure the ratio of US grads to residency positions to be close to 1:1 in the next four to five years. Any ideas would be appreciated.

A question for current students and others capable of commenting...
I know this has been brought up before (and I really don't intend to beat a dead horse), but with the significant increase in American med students (both MD and DO) and the current cap on available residency spots, where does that realistically place the Sackler grad come 2015 or 2016 and beyond? I realize there has been a lot of speculation, but some projections figure the ratio of US grads to residency positions to be close to 1:1 in the next four to five years. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Might not be as much of an issue for Sackler due to this:

Tel Aviv University Sackler School of Medicine New York State/American Program is chartered by the Regents of the University of the State of New York. This program is one of only two in the world recognized outside of the United States that is registered by the University of the State of New York/State Education Department. Graduates of the American program at Sackler School of Medicine are not treated as foreign graduates for licensure in New York, but are only required to meet the same requirements as graduates of medical schools located in New York.

It is also well known and likely has a far greater reputation than other schools such as those in the Caribbean. Sackler is likely one of the very top places graduating IMGs so I wouldn't worry about it too much. Those going to other places should be the ones to feel the squeeze first.

Might not be as much of an issue for Sackler due to this:

Tel Aviv University Sackler School of Medicine New York State/American Program is chartered by the Regents of the University of the State of New York. This program is one of only two in the world recognized outside of the United States that is registered by the University of the State of New York/State Education Department. Graduates of the American program at Sackler School of Medicine are not treated as foreign graduates for licensure in New York, but are only required to meet the same requirements as graduates of medical schools located in New York.

It is also well known and likely has a far greater reputation than other schools such as those in the Caribbean. Sackler is likely one of the very top places graduating IMGs so I wouldn't worry about it too much. Those going to other places should be the ones to feel the squeeze first.

Out of curiosity, do you know what the other school recognized by the State of New York is?

Out of curiosity, do you know what the other school recognized by the State of New York is?

The American University of Beirut

Hopefully some good news will come out of the meeting today. Please take me off the waitlist!!!

Alright, now that the committee met I hope we hear good news soon. I remember reading somewhere that certain decisions are sent via snail mail while others in email. Was it refection and acceptances in snail, and wait listed in email? or some other arrangement??

Alright, now that the committee met I hope we hear good news soon. I remember reading somewhere that certain decisions are sent via snail mail while others in email. Was it refection and acceptances in snail, and wait listed in email? or some other arrangement??

I think so. I got waitlisted via email...

jf1987, was it immediately after the meeting or at approx the same time as snail mail would arrive?

so decisions were made by the committee for some applicants on april 19, does anyone know when theyll be sending them out?
how long after a committee meeting were previous acceptance/rejections notified?

I got WL back in February :(
3.4, 31

I'm just going to bombard them with letters until they accept me. However, I've also been accepted at LECOM, and they need me to come get registered by the end of June, and classes begin at the end of July. Of course I would also need to rent an apartment and buy a car as well. So I need to tell Sackler to accept or reject me ASAP, because if they wait too long, I just will not be able to accept if I get in, no matter how much I may want to. Crossing my fingers!!

I got WL back in February :(
3.4, 31

Welcome to the club brah.

When I talked to them they said they aren't looking at WLed people again until May or June.

Last edited:
Welcome to the club brah.

When I talked to them they said they aren't looking at WLed people again until May or June.

Yea they told me June. Which is why I need to push them. In June I definitely need to start Apartment hunting and car shopping. If they tell me I'm accepted after I've signed a lease or bought a car...it would be a very very sad situation.

FML!!! Wait until May or June? Wouldn't people first put on the waitlist be the first taken off? Now I need to start the re-application process for US schools, this is great news!

FML!!! Wait until May or June? Wouldn't people first put on the waitlist be the first taken off? Now I need to start the re-application process for US schools, this is great news!

They also told me that the waitlist is not ranked.

I was accepted to an Irish school and will go there if Sackler doesn't pan out but I would much rather go to Sackler.

Last edited:
Has anybody received emails for the WL from the latest round of admissions?? It's looking like our sample size on SDN is painfully small =P

Has anybody received emails for the WL from the latest round of admissions?? It's looking like our sample size on SDN is painfully small =P

It's still been all radio silence on this end. Heading out of the country in a few days, realllllly hope to hear before hand. Writing a letter of intent on the mekong delta does not sound like something I want to do.

just called sackler, they said decisions for the april 19th meeting were sent out on friday. so whomever is waiting for a response should be getting one pretty soon......

Snail mail has never been this painfully slow. I'm gonna try calling next week if nothing comes in on Monday. Would they tell you by phone if they've made a decision about you?