Sackler 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Congrats! Would you mind posting your stats. Just want to know if I have a shot of getting off the waitlist

Members don't see this ad.

Congrats! Are you still considering, or are you sure about going? Also, how much time do they give you to decide?

Members don't see this ad :)
When I got wait-listed in March they asked to send them a letter within the next two weeks. I sent a letter discussing my qualifications, that I'm continuing my involvement in activities A, B, C...and that I want to go to Sackler. By May I was getting anxious, so I sent them another letter outlining my attachment to Israel (they take all intent into account), and more specifically why I wanted to go to Sackler. I had spoken to an alumnus, so I mentioned that too.

I am for sure going to Sackler :) They tell you to email back with your intent "ASAP." The deadline to tell them if you want to stay at the youth hostel in Tel-Aviv during orientation is July 1st. That is the first thing they want. You have to decide on travel plans to Israel by July 5th. You can join the group flight (El Al direct from NY to Tel-Aviv on August 15th), and if you don't you must provide them with your own flight information.

:)

trailhead, you will receive a welcome package that gives you instructions about financial aid workshops which are held in new york. I am in LA so I had to make a phone call interview with Ira Rosenfeld (info is all in the package). It's mostly him explaining that we don't really get any grants, just loans, the nitty gritty details of applying for loans, budgeting it, and repayment plans, and stuff like that. Phone interview was about an hour long.

Koshka, thats great! Im so happy it worked out for you = ) Im in Israel now, waiting to hear back too! Thanks for all the help, and best of luck to you!

Congrats! Would you mind posting your stats. Just want to know if I have a shot of getting off the waitlist

Sure! 3.5, 28. I was definitely a borderline applicant, going to show that with some persistence you can get off that wait list. Like a few other have mentioned on here, a strong letter of intent and maybe some new recommendations can go a long way!

Congrats! Are you still considering, or are you sure about going? Also, how much time do they give you to decide?

I have an acceptance here stateside (DO) so I have some real thinking to do. I'll almost certainly go to Sackler though. The letter states they want you to respond within one week confirming your intent to attend (and need to send $100 deposit).

trailhead, you will receive a welcome package that gives you instructions about financial aid workshops which are held in new york. I am in LA so I had to make a phone call interview with Ira Rosenfeld (info is all in the package). It's mostly him explaining that we don't really get any grants, just loans, the nitty gritty details of applying for loans, budgeting it, and repayment plans, and stuff like that. Phone interview was about an hour long.

Great, thanks!

I have an acceptance here stateside (DO) so I have some real thinking to do. I'll almost certainly go to Sackler though. The letter states they want you to respond within one week confirming your intent to attend (and need to send $100 deposit).

Yea I was accepted to a DO as well. I decided on Sackler because their residency placements were no worse, if not a bit better, than that school's....and cuz it's warmer in Tel-Aviv...:laugh:

Sackler has a great match list and is well known and recognized especially in New York.

Hi,
I'm still on the waitlist. Does anyone think that people on the waitlist still have a shot? Is anyone who has gotten in plan on giving up their seat?

Still on the waitlist too... Some hope and lots of perseverance never hurt anyone, right? lol

I just gave up my spot...hopefully this helps one of you.

Good luck and don't lose hope!

Members don't see this ad :)
any shot at getting off the waitlist this late??

i interviewed in feb and was waitlisted in april.....

I called the office they said that the wait list remains opened until August. They would not give me any other information so I have no idea.

I am on the waitlist and didn't receive the recent email from Dean Lazar. What did the email say? Do you think that those who didn't get an email have a smaller chance of getting of the waitlist?
Thanks!

I don't think so. Maybe its because Ive called them and e-mailed them so many times....I havent heard anything since.

i was just accepted! they sent an email saying there were overnighting the info. I left a message there yesterday saying I hoped my acceptance was "lost in the mail" and today this! Im already accepted at Technion and now I'm debating.

My stats are 28m 3.89gpa

i applied in march waitlisted may

Last edited:
Oh Nice! Thanks for posting. They are both excellent schools! Congrats!

By the way, I should clarify that the email I received was just signed from the "Committee on Admissions" and said:
.Sackler School of Medicine will be making final decisions on acceptance of candidates within a few days. Please inform us if you still wish to be considered for acceptance, by responding to this e-mail..

i just realized that the school is contingent upon graduation by august. i have completed my degree but will not officially graduate (they only have the ceremony a few times a year) until september. am i screwed?

Lowdy -- If theres one thing I learned while being in Israel, it's never take no for an answer! Just explain your circumstance. Maybe you can get a letter from your advisor saying your graduation/completion is in order, etc.

Lowdy -- If theres one thing I learned while being in Israel, it's never take no for an answer! Just explain your circumstance. Maybe you can get a letter from your advisor saying your graduation/completion is in order, etc.

thanks. i sent an email to the office stating my issue and that after meeting with the dean from my undergrad uni, he is fully willing to write a letter saying i am done. i just hope sackler wont be hard asses about this

thanks. i sent an email to the office stating my issue and that after meeting with the dean from my undergrad uni, he is fully willing to write a letter saying i am done. i just hope sackler wont be hard asses about this

I highly doubt they will be. Also, if you're talking about the ceremony, then as far as I know, it's irrelevant. Your degree just needs to be processed.

its not just the ceremony, they date the degree the same as the ceremony, so even though im done i only graduate in september

it worked, all they want is a letter from the dean

For what it's worth, just withdrew my acceptance. Hopefully one of you will be subsequently hearing from the admissions office soon! Good luck!

Just got a rejection off the waitlist - good luck to everyone still waiting to hear back. To all those accepted have a wonderful time!

Just got a rejection off the waitlist - good luck to everyone still waiting to hear back. To all those accepted have a wonderful time!

Did you get an email or letter? Sorry you didnt get in :(

Did you get an email or letter? Sorry you didnt get in :(

They sent a letter, but because I'm out of the country I called and asked for an email. They sent out letters to a few applicants on the waitlist. I don't know if they were all rejections - they probably weren't. Good luck with the wait!

Im so sorry to hear that = ( But, why would they tell you they sent out a few more letters? That seems odd, no? Do you think you will re-apply?

for those still on the wait list, keep your hopes up, some students last year were accepted in August just a week before orientation.

thanks mdfacs! are you currently going to sackler? I am definitely keeping my hopes up = )

I talked to someone at the Ny office and they said that basically the class is full. If someone drops out then the committee goes back and re reviews the wait list. On the bright side he said that there have been offers of acceptance made as late as a week before the start of the program. I asked about rejection/acceptance letters and he said everyone who has not heard back yet will get a letter eventually. There are 2 more weeks left of this torture so hang in there. There is still a glimmer of hope!

ugh, walla. youre right, its been an intense 6-month waiting game. Baruch Hashem, I hope it ends well... good luck to everyone still waiting.

i just heard about a spot opening up....good luck to all those waiting!

A cleaner version

(7) Anesthesiology (Upenn, Penn State, Suny Downstate, Jefferson, St Joesephs, U. Illinois, U. Arizona)
(1) Neurosurgery (Buffalo)
(1) Orthopedic Surg (Montefiore)
(16) Pediatrics (Mainly New York area including Einstein, Sinai, Rainbow Hospt etc)
(13) Internal Medicine (Also lots in NYC including some in Mnt Sinai, Einstein, St Lukes etc)
(2) PM&R (one in Jackson memorial not sure of the other)
(2) Radiology (Cornell, Nassau)
(3) Psych (Cornel, LIJ, Mnt. Sinai)
(2) ER (SUNY Downstate, Penn State)
(2) OBGYN (St Lukes, UMDNJ)
(2) General Surgery (Buffalo, Montefiore)
(3) Family Medicine (Albany, U New Mexico, UC Swedish Hospital)
(4) Prelim Medicine (realize that a lot of these are complementing 3 year advanced programs like anesthesia, pm&r etc)
(4) Prelim Gen Surgery

of a class of 55-60

A cleaner version

(7) Anesthesiology (Upenn, Penn State, Suny Downstate, Jefferson, St Joesephs, U. Illinois, U. Arizona)
(1) Neurosurgery (Buffalo)
(1) Orthopedic Surg (Montefiore)
(16) Pediatrics (Mainly New York area including Einstein, Sinai, Rainbow Hospt etc)
(13) Internal Medicine (Also lots in NYC including some in Mnt Sinai, Einstein, St Lukes etc)
(2) PM&R (one in Jackson memorial not sure of the other)
(2) Radiology (Cornell, Nassau)
(3) Psych (Cornel, LIJ, Mnt. Sinai)
(2) ER (SUNY Downstate, Penn State)
(2) OBGYN (St Lukes, UMDNJ)
(2) General Surgery (Buffalo, Montefiore)
(3) Family Medicine (Albany, U New Mexico, UC Swedish Hospital)
(4) Prelim Medicine (realize that a lot of these are complementing 3 year advanced programs like anesthesia, pm&r etc)
(4) Prelim Gen Surgery

of a class of 55-60

Adds up to 62 matches :)

Okay...I got a few acceptances in the U.S (DO) already, but just recently heard of Sackler. Loved isreal when I went as member of US team during maccabiah games....would be an awesome place to spend a couple of years in. Is it far too late to apply?? I feel like it is but if there's any hope i think I might want to give it a shot

This is a really old thread lol. Its not too late to apply, they usually dont make decisions until March/April. I'm interviewing next week, and I also would love to attend.

This is a really old thread lol. Its not too late to apply, they usually dont make decisions until March/April. I'm interviewing next week, and I also would love to attend.
Oh geeze just saw the 2016 part and thought this was referring to this cycle, my bad haha. Anyway thanks and good luck to ya!

Okay...I got a few acceptances in the U.S (DO) already, but just recently heard of Sackler. Loved isreal when I went as member of US team during maccabiah games....would be an awesome place to spend a couple of years in. Is it far too late to apply?? I feel like it is but if there's any hope i think I might want to give it a shot

I know a few people who have gone to Sackler. While it's a great school as far as foreign schools go, you would be much better off with DO, especially if you've already secured an acceptance to one.

If you have the finances, like Israel, nothing wrong with choosing Sackler. I've heard they are still quite competitive and match well.

If you have the finances, like Israel, nothing wrong with choosing Sackler. I've heard they are still quite competitive and match well.

correct me if I'm wrong, but you are eligible for federal loans by going to Sackler and their tuition is around 40,000 per year which is in line with many US schools, so finance wise it seems like a wash, unless you get into a state school which would be a no brainer.

correct me if I'm wrong, but you are eligible for federal loans by going to Sackler and their tuition is around 40,000 per year which is in line with many US schools, so finance wise it seems like a wash, unless you get into a state school which would be a no brainer.

Oh I didn't know it was so affordable, the only thing would be the travel costs although that would likely perhaps add up only to about 10,000 total for all 4 years of school including residency apps and electives.

are lectures mandatory at sackler? besides anatomy classes