sacroplasty

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

clubdeac

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Who has done these? I just got my first consult. I trained some under Depalma and he loved to do them. I've never actually done one and was wondering if you all had any tips, recommendations, guides etc.

Members don't see this ad.

I typically punt on these consults to neurosurgery. MCV (your fellowship) is the only I know of that teaches sacroplasty to pain fellows.

It's the same point and shoot as any other kyphoplasty/vertebroplasty. I've practiced on a cadaver before but never had a pt where my attending was willing to do it (because none of my attendings were familiar with the procedure). When I was in radiology residency, it was a different story. I had an attending who would do them but at the time there was no reimbursement code so it was free care. I think the only tip I would have is make sure you watch the flow of the cement in real time low dose pulse fluoro to ensure no embolization of material or extrav outside of bone. There are definitely some good articles out there with images demonstrating the technique.

Members don't see this ad :)

Attachments

• Sacroplasty Article.pdf
    366.5 KB · Views: 77
  • Sacroplasty.pdf
    293.2 KB · Views: 63
done it. did it. quit doing it.

risk is high, best done under CT. questionable response. Times heals it. Just didnt think i was doing anything worthwhile except bragging that im the "only one in my area doing this cutting edge technique" that probably doesnt work...

Reactions: 1 users
Have done one for mets in Lt. sacral ala.. wonderful response till now after abt 5 months. Used the tech. described in attached paper. Good luck.