SAEM Comprehensive Exam

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dj dizzle

DJdizzle
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any one have any experience with taking the SAEM Quizzes or comprehensive exam for an EM clerkship. Any advice to study for it?

Members don't see this ad.

In the interest of preserving the integrity of the exam, all I can offer is that there are gimmies and there are difficult ones, as with all exams. That being said, at only 50 questions, it's best to know as much as possible, since a few questions missed can quickly put you at a much lower percentage. Studying the SAEM quizzes will help in preparation for sure, as will books like PreTest.

As an aside, if you're an actual DJ, we are practically clones. MSIVs, DJ, use beaker for avatar (mine on facebook).

Last edited:
The exam is generated from a bank of 600-700 questions.
Even if someone else took the exam, it will not be the same as what you are going to have.

There are practice questions that you should have access to if the rotation is giving you the exam at the end.

Do them. A couple questions I had came right from the question bank.

As for studying, the topics ave very broad, but some of the questions were very specific. Like what dose of meds to give. A bunch of stuff that I was never really expected to know as a student (at least not on a test).

Members don't see this ad :)
The exam is generated from a bank of 600-700 questions.
Even if someone else took the exam, it will not be the same as what you are going to have.

I took the test three times and had the exact same questions in the exact same order every time.

Reactions: 1 user
I have the test in a week and I have been trying to load the practice tests but I keep getting this error message. Anyone else ever have a similar problem?

[Microsoft][ODBC Microsoft Access Driver] Too many client tasks.
-2147217843 Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers 08004 -1036
[Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manager] Driver's SQLSetConnectAttr failed
-2147217843 Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers IM006 0

Unable to open database
DBQ=C:\InetPub\WWWRoot\LXRWeb\Online\2011SAEMTESTS\2011SAEMTESTS.LXROnline;DRIVER={Microsoft Access Driver (*.mdb)};DriverID=25;FIL=MS Access;ImplicitCommitSync=Yes;MaxBufferSize=512;MaxScanRows=8;PageTimeout=5;SafeTransactions=0;Threads=3;UID=admin;UserCommitSync=Yes;

GetFatalErrors exit
DBcontrol Error 91: Object variable or With block variable not set

Unable to establish connection to test

I have the test in a week and I have been trying to load the practice tests but I keep getting this error message. Anyone else ever have a similar problem?

[Microsoft][ODBC Microsoft Access Driver] Too many client tasks.
-2147217843 Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers 08004 -1036
[Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manager] Driver's SQLSetConnectAttr failed
-2147217843 Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers IM006 0

Unable to open database
DBQ=C:\InetPub\WWWRoot\LXRWeb\Online\2011SAEMTESTS\2011SAEMTESTS.LXROnline;DRIVER={Microsoft Access Driver (*.mdb)};DriverID=25;FIL=MS Access;ImplicitCommitSync=Yes;MaxBufferSize=512;MaxScanRows=8;PageTimeout=5;SafeTransactions=0;Threads=3;UID=admin;UserCommitSync=Yes;

GetFatalErrors exit
DBcontrol Error 91: Object variable or With block variable not set

Unable to establish connection to test
I get that occasionally too.

I took the 50 question SAEM exam. I took the SAEM quizzes two times each and also skimmed through PreTest and EM First Aid on topics I didn't know well, which I think was a good idea. There are some scattered random questions (just like many exams) and I was glad I had some of the basics down well so as to make up for the "I have no idea" questions.

It is pretty much what you would expect and I agree with the above posts.

If I had to do it again, high yield studying the night before would be to review SAEM questions you missed and hit the high yield points in something like First Aid.

I took it about a month ago and remember scouring SDN the night before looking for advice.

It is very easy. Not even really comparable to a typical shelf exam, and much, much easier than the NBME EM shelf which I have also taken.

Do the SAEM practice questions as 2-3 were repeated verbatim on the real deal. Otherwise pre-test/first aid/road map, pick your poison really, any of those books will prepare you.

Reactions: 1 users
I took version 2 and thought it was fairly tough. Never took version 1 though so can't offer a comparison.

I took version 1. Maybe there is a jump in difficulty between the two? Who knows

Did anyone try using the Rosh Review questions to prep for this thing?

Did anyone try using the Rosh Review questions to prep for this thing?

Whatever ROSH review is, it ain't necessary. Pick yourself up a copy of First Aid/Pre-test/case files, whichever you haven't read and read that.

This is not a difficult test. The NBME shelf is another story...

Members don't see this ad :)
Can anyone comment on the SAEM practice questions? Worth doing? Are they representative of the test? I have finished about half of them and contemplating finishing the rest? There are a lot of questions!

Are the practice quizzes and actual tests timed?

Hey All, does anyone have a SAEM login I could use? Our clerkship doesn't have access yet. Please message me with details--I would really really appreciate it!

Hey All, does anyone have a SAEM login I could use? Our clerkship doesn't have access yet. Please message me with details--I would really really appreciate it!

There’s an SAEM practice test quizlet deck. There are something like 500 cards in it.

Any one have any experience with taking the SAEM Quizzes or comprehensive exam for an EM clerkship. Any advice to study for it?

I am a fourth year student about to take the SAEM test our attending hasn’t given us the SAEM practice test. Does anybody have links to the practice test questions ? Thank you.

I am a fourth year student about to take the SAEM test our attending hasn’t given us the SAEM practice test. Does anybody have links to the practice test questions ? Thank you.
If you google “SAEM practice exam quizlet” you will find one with their qbank questions. A handful of those will be, word for word, repeated on your exam.” The exam itself isn’t very difficult. If you have been studying at all during your rotation I would say don’t sweat it too much.

My SAEM was my 4th away I think. Did all of student Rosh and EM Pre-Test during my first two aways for their in house exams. Got burnt during the 4th and just watched Netflix all day instead. I went in very worried about it because that and still got >90% raw.

I looked at a few of the cards in the Quizlet and thought they were utter garbage. Would not recommend. I think Pre-Test is the best EM prep if you actually read everything including explanations obviously. Rosh was good for making me look better on aways (Covering stuff not well covered by med school like specific Ortho fractures, more ophtho, etc).

Reactions: 1 user