Safeties for MD/PhD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

purplerainbow

2+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know these technically don't exist, but what are some good non-MSTP "safeties" I could add to my application? I was thinking UC Davis, U Miami, U Maryland? Are those sort of safe? If not, what would be better?

Members don't see this ad.

Maryland is an MSTP that has gotten a big boost in NIH funding recently. In regards to non-MSTPs I was under the impression that residency still doesn't play a role if it is an established MD/PhD program like Miami or UT-San Antonio

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi, purplerainbow! It's hard to advise what might be a "safety" program without an idea of what your application looks like. Do you mind sharing a rough idea of your stats so that we can perhaps better advise you?

I ask because I personally had a stats imbalance when I applied, so "safety" for me did not necessarily mean the same thing as a "safety" for someone else. I found that some non-MSTPs tend to be more concerned with the MCAT, while others state that GPA seems to be more important. For the latter, Oregon Health Sciences University comes to mind here, or at least this is the impression I get: http://www.ohsu.edu/xd/education/schools/school-of-medicine/academic-programs/md-phd/admission.cfm. Click on "what we look for" and you'll notice it says "MCAT matters a little, but less [than GPA and academic awards]." Other schools tend to have certain departments that do very well, so having a strong interest in the field that aligns with their strengths may help them picture you in their program. So if there's any more information that you're comfortable giving, hopefully some SDN'ers can chime in on what programs might be a good fit for you and give you some breadth in your application!

Also, my understanding is the same as ADW1994 (my man! :love:) -- for funded MD/PhD programs, I do not believe state residency is considered. Please don't quote me on that though... I think your best bet is to check the website of each specific program you end up considering. They are normally pretty up-front about that information, thankfully!

Also keep in mind that non-mstps tend to be smaller programs. Some are much smaller. For example, one "low tier" school I interviewed at had 60 people interview for 2 slots and had an instate bias. The MSTP I got accepted to interviewed about 100 people for 12 slots. Which program do you think is easier to get into?

If you are set on finding non-mstps, then in addition to the ones already mentioned I would also apply to uconn, buffalo, Nebraska, Penn state and RWJ/Princeton. At least when I applied, they had a reasonable amount of slots per year (about 5), were strong in certain fields and seemed to be on an upward trajectory.

Reactions: 3 users
There is no such thing as an MD/PhD safety, just different tiers of competitiveness. Nothing is a sure thing. You apply to enough programs and if you're competitive (see the sticky), you'll probably get in.

Maryland is an MSTP that has gotten a big boost in NIH funding recently. In regards to non-MSTPs I was under the impression that residency still doesn't play a role if it is an established MD/PhD program like Miami or UT-San Antonio

This is correct as far as I know. Most programs that are on the cusp of getting MSTP awards like these two do not care "at all" for state of residency as long as applicants are TGE (training grant eligible - i.e.: US permanent residents or Citizens).

Is University of Illinois still non-Mstp? Sorry, I'm a little out of touch, but I remember their med scholars program being a decent option although it wasn't funded as mstp