Saint Joseph SOP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I live in Connecticut and I was accepted to St. Joes. I would like to live 20-30 minutes from campus..I don't like Hartford and I would rather live outside of it. Anyone else in my position?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Ahh, I got accepted !! :D

I am not going to take the offer, however, cause I got into an in-state program which would save me a lot of money. It was such a wondreful experience, however, traveling to CT, visiting the school, and meeting everyone there!

Good luck to everyone and future success!! :)

Hi everyone!
I will be starting at Saint Joseph in August and I have a question about FAFSA that I was hoping anyone with any knowledge could help me with. As I am completing all the questions, it give me the option of providing my parents financial information or not. I was always under the impression it was not beneficial to provide that information but on the website it says that if you are a health professional student that it may be beneficial. Does anyone know anything about this? I would really appreciate anyone's help!!!
Thank you!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone!
I will be starting at Saint Joseph in August and I have a question about FAFSA that I was hoping anyone with any knowledge could help me with. As I am completing all the questions, it give me the option of providing my parents financial information or not. I was always under the impression it was not beneficial to provide that information but on the website it says that if you are a health professional student that it may be beneficial. Does anyone know anything about this? I would really appreciate anyone's help!!!
Thank you!!!

I think your best bet is to meet with or call a financial adviser at the school and have them go over that with you. Only because they will be better informed and also because you don't want to take someone's advice on financial matters because the situation might be different for you than it was for them and, as a result, might be disadvantageous for you. So, honestly, I don't like to give or take financial advice from others like this (over the internet). It's best to speak directly to financial aid.

I was going to say, though, that you do not have to put your parent's info in because when you fill out FAFSA, if you are in a professional program, you are automatically labeled as 'independent' whether you put their info or not. I do not know, however, how putting your parent's info would benefit you the student. I always thought that not putting your parent's info would be better. Personally, I don't think I will be putting their info. Like I said though, it's best to speak directly with financial aid!

Hope I helped! :)

I'm curious, however, in what ways you know that it can help the student's situation?

I think your best bet is to meet with or call a financial adviser at the school and have them go over that with you. Only because they will be better informed and also because you don't want to take someone's advice on financial matters because the situation might be different for you than it was for them and, as a result, might be disadvantageous for you. So, honestly, I don't like to give or take financial advice from others like this (over the internet). It's best to speak directly to financial aid.

I was going to say, though, that you do not have to put your parent's info in because when you fill out FAFSA, if you are in a professional program, you are automatically labeled as 'independent' whether you put their info or not. I do not know, however, how putting your parent's info would benefit you the student. I always thought that not putting your parent's info would be better. Personally, I don't think I will be putting their info. Like I said though, it's best to speak directly with financial aid!

Hope I helped! :)

I'm curious, however, in what ways you know that it can help the student's situation?

Thank you so much for your detailed answer! I went ahead and met with financial aid on Tuesday and got the answers I needed! Thanks again!

Thank you so much for your detailed answer! I went ahead and met with financial aid on Tuesday and got the answers I needed! Thanks again!

Not a problem! Glad I could help! :)

Hi sarah, hope all is well! I'm beginning to call out my FAFSA too. I've officially decided to choose saint joes to attend in August! Also... looking for places to live.

Just curious, what did your financial advisor tell you about your parent's info?

Hi sarah, hope all is well! I'm beginning to call out my FAFSA too. I've officially decided to choose saint joes to attend in August! Also... looking for places to live.

Just curious, what did your financial advisor tell you about your parent's info?

That is so exciting!!! I look forward to meeting you in the fall. The financial advisor told me not to put parental info on my FAFSA, since as graduate students, we are automatically considered independent. :thumbup:

I GOT ACCEPTED!

Now just debating where to live! I heard Temple townhouse is basically where everyone lives in this program. But does anyone know where I can look or start looking for off campus 1 bedroom apartments, that is also close to school. Im from out of state and really clueless about the town. Are there buses that run to our building?

Where did you guys decide to live?

Hey guys
I'm applying to st. Joseph
on the website it says that you have to have bachelors degree
is there any one that is accepted that doesnt have a bachelors degree
please let me know
thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys
I'm applying to st. Joseph
on the website it says that you have to have bachelors degree
is there any one that is accepted that doesnt have a bachelors degree
please let me know
thanks

I have a bacherlor's degree. Though I just want to point out that if they say applicants have to have a bachelor's degree, that means applicants have to have a bachelor's degree. There are usually no exceptions to requirements like that, and if there are it is usually stated on the website. Also, sometimes schools say "...bachelor's degree preferred." For St. Joe's though it's not a preference but a requirement. Therefore, it would probably be a waste of money to apply there if you don't have a bach degree cause it's a requirement, not an option.

Does any one know if you are supposed to send thank you notes after you inteview???

Does any one know if you are supposed to send thank you notes after you inteview???

You don't have to, but I guess it's nice. It definitely doesn't weigh on your admission, because I got accepted here and elsewhere and didn't send any thank yous.

I will be turning down my spot at St Joseph. This was a difficult decision because the faculty is so nice over here. Interacting with Meredith was such a pleasant experience. It opens a spot for someone that truly deserves and wants to go there!

Does anyone know apartments to stay at besides the one on Temple? I am getting married in May, so will not be able to stay in the dorm style rooms lol.

Does anyone know apartments to stay at besides the one on Temple? I am getting married in May, so will not be able to stay in the dorm style rooms lol.

There are apartments on Trumbull, Main, and Pearl. Check out Saint Joseph SOP's housing choices, they just added a few recently.

In terms of the school's accreditation status, how concerned should I be coming in as a P1 student? According to the website, SJ SOP has been granted Candidate status by the ACPE but I just wanted to know if current students or others knew more about this. Thanks!

In terms of the school's accreditation status, how concerned should I be coming in as a P1 student? According to the website, SJ SOP has been granted Candidate status by the ACPE but I just wanted to know if current students or others knew more about this. Thanks!

I read on a website (i think it was the acpe site itself) that both candidate status and full status graduates can both sit for the licsencing exam and have the same privelages. I also heard the the main factor of going from candidate to full is having a graduating class in which St Jospeh's will have in 2015. In my opinion, I wouldn't worry. If I hadn't gotten into Touro NY which is near my home and in my state, I would've accepted my offer at St Joseph's.

I read on a website (i think it was the acpe site itself) that both candidate status and full status graduates can both sit for the licsencing exam and have the same privelages. I also heard the the main factor of going from candidate to full is having a graduating class in which St Jospeh's will have in 2015. In my opinion, I wouldn't worry. If I hadn't gotten into Touro NY which is near my home and in my state, I would've accepted my offer at St Joseph's.

Thanks so much! The program really appeals to me, not to mention I've met some wonderful folks out there, but I couldn't help but address this concern. Thank you for your advice and the information you've shared, very much appreciated!

Thanks so much! The program really appeals to me, not to mention I've met some wonderful folks out there, but I couldn't help but address this concern. Thank you for your advice and the information you've shared, very much appreciated!

Not a problem, glad I could help! This is what I heard but double check me because I am not 100% sure. But regardless, it looks like a terrific school!

That is so exciting!!! I look forward to meeting you in the fall. The financial advisor told me not to put parental info on my FAFSA, since as graduate students, we are automatically considered independent. :thumbup:

Thank you for your help Sarah, that was a lot of help. I got an offer at Touro in NY so i will be attending there in the fall! I really hope you love saint joseph, i did when i was there =)

Hey guys!

I'm currently waitlisted for USJ and was wondering if anyone knew of how many students are on the waitlist and how many actually get accepted. I've called Meridith for my rank but is there a website that I could access to see if I've moved up on the list at all?

Hi Everyone! I apologize for the delay in responding. The interview was very very relaxed and casual. They have a pre-set of questions and they read off from the list. The math problem is super easy..just make sure you know how to do the basic math without the calculator. It takes them apprx 2 weeks to make a decision and I have been accepted =)

Can you tell me exactly what questions they asked you at the interview? I would like to have an aidea as i have been offered one for next week. Thank you

BTW, if anyone wants any info about the interview process, such as questions, what to expect, who you might meet, and the entire process in general, please feel free to PM me. :)

I have absolutely no problem in sharing my experience, and pointing other interviewees in the right direction because this is what I wanted before I went to interview. I understand that there are people who do not like to share due to being worried it might, in some way, effect their admission decision if it were found. I, however, feel that I would've wanted as much info as possible because this tops the list, for me, of most stressful events in my life! And the most dependent on the rest of my entire life, hence the extreme nerves. And any guidance is appreciated. So, again, PM if you want!!

Good luck to all other and future interviewees!! :)
Can you please email me with the questions you were asked at the interview? Mine is in 2 days and having English as a second language doesn't help me to get the answers so quick. I would appreciate any help. Thanks so much