Menu Icon Search
Close Search

About the ads

1. If you prefer the SDN Blue style, go to the bottom left of the page and select "SDN Blue"

Salary after paying malpractice?

Discussion in 'Ob/Gyn' started by BATiger, 02.01.07.

1. BATiger

BATiger Member

Medical Student
    SDN 5+ Year Member

SDN Members don't see this ad. (About Ads)
    I spoke with a physician today who gave me the usual horror study about ob/gyn and how I won't be able to afford to practice...etc. I live in one of the "crisis" states and she said she knows collegues who had to quit once their insurance rates reached 300K. $300,000?!?!?! Holy crap! Is this seriously a possibility? I have always wanted to do OB, it is the reason I am in med school. But now I will be sitting on $200k of debt... it is starting to freak me out! I know that no one likes to talk about salary but, I need a straight answer. When the national average salary is listed as $250K, is that before or after paying costs like insurance? And if you are a hospital employee and have your insurance paid for you, what is the ballpark salary?
    I just want some clear answers.
    Thank you!
  2. TheJayBee

TheJayBee

Attending Physician
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    That is after. Malpractice is overhead (pre-salary).

Each region of country is very different for salary.

For San Francisco Bay area, common starting salary range for new grads right out of residency is from ~$180 k/yr for private practice (earn less early on then much more as a partner-commonly $400) to $200 k/yr for Kaiser (folks mention attendings end up around $300k).

And no krazed malpractice issues like PA and FL. Typical OBGyn annual premium in CA is $70k- paid by employer.:thumbup:

How about other locations, what have you heard?
  3. TY06

TY06 Member

SDN 5+ Year Member
    bump

// Share //

Style: SDN Universal