Salary for new graduates in NYC based on practice type?

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

luvely

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently applying for full time positions as I will be graduating in May and have a few interviews set up.

I was just wondering what is a reasonable salary to expect for a Commercial practice vs Optical vs Private practice? I'd like to have an idea going in what's considered to be standard in New York City (mainly Manhattan possibly Brooklyn) for a new graduate with no working experience.

Thanks so much in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm currently applying for full time positions as I will be graduating in May and have a few interviews set up.

I was just wondering what is a reasonable salary to expect for a Commercial practice vs Optical vs Private practice? I'd like to have an idea going in what's considered to be standard in New York City (mainly Manhattan possibly Brooklyn) for a new graduate with no working experience.

Thanks so much in advance!
In NYC:
Commercial--$450 per day
Dead privately owned optical--$400
High volume medical (busy OMD or OD practice or nursing homes)--$500-600

The boroughs and NJ are where the better jobs are, in general.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In NYC:
Commercial--$450 per day
Dead privately owned optical--$400
High volume medical (busy OMD or OD practice or nursing homes)--$500-600

The boroughs and NJ are where the better jobs are, in general.

Thanks for your input!

Which boroughs are you referring to btw? I agree about NJ but currently looking to work in NY so I can commute from home :)

I got an offer of $400/day + percentage of daily profits which if I'm doing the math right it's base pay of $83,200--this is a private practice that leases a space within a commercial practice btw. The salary per day sounds about right but I thought especially in NY annual might be closer to $100,000?

Employer also said it's considered full time so I would be eligible for certain benefits, but it's for 9 hour days/4 days a week which comes out to 36 hours/week. I thought full-time in NY was considered to be 40 hrs/day or is that just an arbitrary number?

Sorry, if these questions seem silly-- any input would be appreciated. Thanks very much! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
That offer depends on what the percentage of collection fees is. If it's less than 100k, it's not a very good offer for those hours. Even if it is 100, I would still only say it's average unless you really like it there.

Oh and I was basically referring to everywhere but Manhattan, South of Harlem, in the other post.

Are you counting an hour of lunch in that 9-hour work day?

That offer depends on what the percentage of collection fees is. If it's less than 100k, it's not a very good offer for those hours. Even if it is 100, I would still only say it's average unless you really like it there.

Oh and I was basically referring to everywhere but Manhattan, South of Harlem, in the other post.

310: the percentage was 30% of daily earnings and this would be for the doctors' office as they don't make money directly from the optical--employer mentioned there was no cap for this daily amount

This practice is known to be quite busy and the doctors have great reviews and they have all the diagnostic equipment which is what is drawing me to this practice.

They don't dilate often tho but most everyone gets an Optos which gives me a bit of pause but I realize everyone practices differently-- what sounds different from most private practices I'm assuming is that it seems I must adhere to how the owner practices like the example mentioned above.. Or is that usually considered to be the norm when you are working for another OD?

Are you counting an hour of lunch in that 9-hour work day?

Mathcod: and yes an hour of lunch is included in that 9 hours.. Is that pretty standard in your experience?

It's sounds like a good deal of they're billing medically and busy.

It's sounds like a good deal of they're billing medically and busy.

I agree I think they take only one vision plan according to their website and sounds to be very busy as there are usually two doctors there at once

Well if it's an 8 hour work day with an hour of lunch like most people's job, then you are working 8*4 = 32 hours a week right?

Anyhow, I don't live in New York state nor in an urban area like NYC , so I'm not sure what information to contribute.

Well if it's an 8 hour work day with an hour of lunch like most people's job, then you are working 8*4 = 32 hours a week right?

Anyhow, I don't live in New York state nor in an urban area like NYC , so I'm not sure what information to contribute.

Hmm maybe I'm not quite understanding but don't people normally work a "9 to 5" job which includes a lunch break so they are physically there for 8 hours a day?

This place I'd be there for 9 hours a day and I just realized I assumed an hour lunch included but I'm sure it's more like when there's time to grab a bite.

You usually don't count your lunch/break time as hours worked. Standard employees must clock in and out during those times, but if you are salaried things may be different.

Regardless, if you are seeing patients for 7 hours, that's a better deal
If you are seeing patients for 8 hours, that's slightly above average for the nation but not sure about NYC.
If you are seeing patients for 9 hours, that's not worth it in my opinion.

You usually don't count your lunch/break time as hours worked. Standard employees must clock in and out during those times, but if you are salaried things may be different.

If you are seeing patients for 8 hours, that's slightly above average for the nation but not sure about NYC.
It's that number plus the percentage bonus. I'm not sure exactly how that bonus is calculated but it sounds like it's enough to make it a good-very good deal.

I agree that I would rather not be scheduled for 9 hours as opposed to 8 but there are other opticals I am looking at that have 10 hour shifts.. Yikes. So among other reasons including the daily percentage of exam revenue, exam equipment and great docs and staff this will be my top choice for now. Thanks for your input :)

It's that number plus the percentage bonus. I'm not sure exactly how that bonus is calculated but it sounds like it's enough to make it a good-very good deal.

I agree. This place does take a lot of medical insurances and sounds to be a very high volume practice. Also the daily bonus really does sound great since I still would have a fixed daily income with potential for extra.. And I don't have to wait the whole year or whatnot :p

Thanks for the feedback as well! Bouncing back ideas back and forth has helped me solidify for me that this place is my first pick. I will still interview at other places as well-- have yet to stop by this location but as of now I'm comfortable with feeling this place is a good fit and has a reasonable offer :))

83k in nyc is really sad, even if it is the reality. In corporate that means you will be pumping out quickie refractive exams. In an office that "doesn't dilate much" and tries to upsell non-indicated optos images my guess is there is minimal medical billings. If its your first offer out of school, it maybe the only option but keep striving higher. A place like that might hurt you more then help you.

83k in nyc is really sad, even if it is the reality. In corporate that means you will be pumping out quickie refractive exams. In an office that "doesn't dilate much" and tries to upsell non-indicated optos images my guess is there is minimal medical billings. If its your first offer out of school, it maybe the only option but keep striving higher. A place like that might hurt you more then help you.

I sort of calculated the 83k to be the base pay with daily bonuses with no cap.

I agree about the no dilations but the employer also said they offer it to patients as an option, I'm sure they know it's not mandatory which is what they told patients at another externship I was at.

I think the big thing is I felt quite comfortable talking with this particular doctor and him and his associates were rated very highly online.

I just got off the phone with a store owner who mixed up my interview date even though I confirmed multiple times before I hung up with him and talked to with 25 minutes about whether or not I could handle seeing patients in a medically focused practice running many diagnostic tests with plenty of follow-ups (he did most of the talking). He asked what I was thinking in terms of compensation and I said $100,000 and he asked how about hourly and he said yes to $50 an hour plus potential bonuses.

The thing is I just didn't get a good feeling from him at all-- exhausting to hold a conversation with him and he was reluctant to meet me on the date/time we had agreed on earlier and wanted me to drive out from NJ tonight even though I said I had plans-- I can sense we'd have a lot of miscommunications seeing our short history and conversation. His whole tune changed when I said I was considering full time at another location and possibly part time with him and he finally agreed to meeting at our original time/place.

Sorry for the rant. Whew.

I wanted to like this place especially to have options but this talk gave me an idea that although this place definitely is more medically based since they encourage dilations and a slew of diagnostic testing I just don't feel I would be very comfortable being employed by them. I already don't feel much of a trust.. On either of our sides actually o.o

I do also have a interview pending with Visionworks but I'm sure I would probably be more of a refraction-mill for that type of practice with a good salary and benefits--I guess every opportunity would have its trade offs.

Last edited:
I wouldn't be too concerned about the dilation aspect. In a metro area, young healthy people aren't typically looking to be dilated nor will serious pathology be found frequently. At risk patients are going to be a lot more open to the suggestion.

What you want to avoid is a practice where every diagnostic test is run on every patient without you ordering the test. If you're involved in that sort of situation, you risk committing insurance fraud and even if you get away with it, it hurts the profession by driving down reimbursement rates while lining someone else's pockets.

I wouldn't be too concerned about the dilation aspect. In a metro area, young healthy people aren't typically looking to be dilated nor will serious pathology be found frequently. At risk patients are going to be a lot more open to the suggestion.

What you want to avoid is a practice where every diagnostic test is run on every patient without you ordering the test. If you're involved in that sort of situation, you risk committing insurance fraud and even if you get away with it, it hurts the profession by driving down reimbursement rates while lining someone else's pockets.

I hadn't even consisted that they would run tests without me ordering it but I totally get what you mean. He basically was saying I should be able to get enough medical diagnosis for them to continue to come back for more testing. They also a B-scan and cell count which I've never really used before which I guess is great but wouldn't feel too confident in interpreting. I did get the feeling though that obviously it was to get as much reimbursement as possible as opposed to running what would be medically necessary for the patient.

Thanks for that thought-- I think I will still go in for the interview to make sure it really isn't the fit for me (I know it won't be even from the guy alone) plus I'll have the interview with Visionworks same day so kill two birds with one stone.

The non-dilating practice interview will be later on and true I agree the non-dilating to me likely won't be the deal breaker because at least they offer the optomap as opposed to commercial where I'm sure they would probably do neither.

Salary expectation for 8 hours of work $ 400-425-450.00 Private practice 8-15 patients /day $440.00 High volume retail offices appx $500.00 (in a mall or high volume stores for 8 hrs. Longer hrs higher pay. Working in OMD offices 9-10 hrs you can get paid $600 -$650 /day and you will be working hard with a lot of volume.

Whether you receive payment on W2 or independent contractor 1099 at the end of the day you're not getting paid much with rate of inflation. Many ODs are doing medical optometry as mentoned here. Medical billing-coding like OMDs (VF/ OCT/ anterior posterior photos/ pachymetry/ etc.........to increase their earnings.

Twenty - to twenty five years ago ODs salary was in the $250- 300.00 range. Two decades later plus, our salaries have gone up what? 150-200 a day? This is PATHETIC for all the schooling we went though.

Good Luck to you!