Salary for Starting OD in NY

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HelixOpt

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys I am trying to decide if this is a viable career for me based on the enormous student debt. I have heard widely varying figures for income and would like to know what the expected salary for an OD in New York City or Long Island or nearby would be working in a private practice under someone else (where most people start I assume)

Thank you, this is a serious question as my parents most likely wont be able to help me with grad school at all so this is important. I love the career but if it is going to leave me with crushing debt and not enough money to live comfortably then I am not going to be able to do it

Thank You :)

Members don't see this ad.

I thought those numbers were not accurate

Members don't see this ad :)
These numbers seem to indicate averages but dont tell me about experience etc. It says about 105,000 but is that for 5-10 yrs experience or for a recent grad? I need to know this information to see if a career as an OD is financially viable for me.

You posted this in the Optometry section too. I think you're better off asking the ppl that frequent that forum because that group includes (supposedly) practicing optometrists. All you're going to get here is guesses and Labor Bureau statistics. But has been pointed out in your other thread, if you're only chasing the money, you may not be happy with this profession, you should pick something that you really like to do, the cost of school and the "financial viability" of the profession should be secondary.

Ok, so I just went over to the Optometry forum and noticed that the OP of the thread I'm talking about isn't you. So strange because they're asking like the EXACT same thing. Well, go over there and read that thread. There's some good advice there. Sorry about that. :p