Salary in NYC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Newpathdoc2016

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, everybody,

I am a graduating fellow looking for a community practice job in NYC. What salary should I expect starting? What salary after 3 yrs of practice?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

My guess is that it would depend on a lot of factors, such as whether it was partnership track and how that would be structured, and how heavily the work is distributed. So it may be challenging for someone to begin to answer your question.

Members don't see this ad :)
You should expect to start above $200K, maybe close to $300K. You should also expect to feel middle class even at those salary levels in NYC.

Hi, everybody,

I am a graduating fellow looking for a community practice job in NYC. What salary should I expect starting? What salary after 3 yrs of practice?

Thanks.
sometimes people just don't know the answer to your question. i can tell you that forensic path jobs at the NYOCME are in the mid-100s. i have no clue how they recruit and keep good people at that salary, given the CoL in the NYC metro area.

Reactions: 1 user
sometimes people just don't know the answer to your question. i can tell you that forensic path jobs at the NYOCME are in the mid-100s. i have no clue how they recruit and keep good people at that salary, given the CoL in the NYC metro area.
Because enough people probably want to live in NYC, despite what you've pointed out which is absolutely correct. I can't imagine living in Manhattan on any type of standard physician salary. It's the land of the 0.01-0.1%

There's plenty of people that live in Manhattan on FAR less than a physician salary and do fine. I made $70K when I was there as a fellow, and I was still able to go out to eat, drink, see the sights, and take vacations. I wasn't eating bread and water for a year. Yes, your money will go much farther in most other places in the US. But just because there are billionaires in NYC doesn't mean only billionaires can afford to live in NYC.

There's plenty of people that live in Manhattan on FAR less than a physician salary and do fine. I made $70K when I was there as a fellow, and I was still able to go out to eat, drink, see the sights, and take vacations. I wasn't eating bread and water for a year. Yes, your money will go much farther in most other places in the US. But just because there are billionaires in NYC doesn't mean only billionaires can afford to live in NYC.
but you also weren't maxing your retirement, or paying for disability/malpractice/life/health/et al insurance either.
you weren't "living" in Manhattan, you were "getting by" .

Reactions: 1 user
but you also weren't maxing your retirement, or paying for disability/malpractice/life/health/et al insurance either.
you weren't "living" in Manhattan, you were "getting by" .
This. Fellows scrape by with subsidized housing, few or no dependents, living in efficiencies, and not saving. Elsewhere you would be buying a home on that salary.

NYC: 20% off the top for city and state tax. Min $3000 monthly rent in Manhattan (if you can live in a 1 br). Day care (if you can get it) is ~$30k per kid per year. Everything costs 2x as much, and daily tasks that are both free and an afterthought (like opening doors, getting your mail) now cost $.

Did you ever try to buy a house or condo? Save for retirement or a kids education?

You should expect to start above $200K, maybe close to $300K. You should also expect to feel middle class even at those salary levels in NYC.

Anybody can give some "real" numbers? Don't expect NYC to pay more than rural places. It is actually the contrary.

Please, anybody who got offers or have worked or know people who are in NYC metropolitan area give us some numbers, please.

I am in NYC, and the reason you probably haven't gotten the response you are looking for is that no one can answer your questions without knowing more about yourself, qualifications and situation. Salaries in Manhattan are going to be different than they are out in Long Island or even Queens or The Bronx. Additionally in Manhattan there are very few traditional community practice jobs available, as most hospitals have some sort of affiliation with an academic institution. If you want to give us specifics, you will probably get a better reply.

and the reason you probably haven't gotten the response you are looking for is...

Another reason is some people are a little apprehensive about posting salaries (even if it's a range) on here. Particularly for newbies who just signed up for SDN and their first post is, "How much money am I going to make???" when they've contributed nothing to the forum...