About the ads

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Salary of OTs?

Discussion in 'Occupational Therapy [ O.T.D ]' started by karixel, Feb 27, 2013.

1. This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors and sponsors. Thank you.
  1. karixel

karixel

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)

SDN Members don't see this ad. (About Ads)
    I know this question has been asked before, but there was a lot of controversy in what I read. So I wanted to ask in a new thread: how much do OTs make? In general, and maybe in big city areas like NY? Thanks.
  2. MT2BanOT

MT2BanOT

Pre-Rehab Sci [AuD/DPT/OTD]
    In SF bay area CA they start between 65-70 usually. Go to www.bls.gov and look up Occupational Therapist, sift through the links and you can fibd earnings by state. TX, East Coast etc make the most you'll earn the least in the midwest and rural areas BUT cost of living is lower there too...

Message me if you like.
  3. MT2BanOT

MT2BanOT

65-70k/ yr*
  4. alansda

alansda OT Student

Rehab Sci Student [OTD]
    SDN 7+ Year Member
    OT Salary Survey

Also, OP, just do a craigslist search for OT jobs in your city and some disclose a salary in the description
  5. karixel

karixel

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    Thanks for the info, guys!
  6. otsomeday

otsomeday

SDN 2+ Year Member
    They make more than that in SF....65k is about average nationwide
  7. KJ7984

KJ7984

Non-Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Depending on setting and how many hours you want to work in a day, avg in NY is about 75K
  8. AnxiousOT

AnxiousOT

I am currently in OT school and was talking to my Fieldwork Advisor about what offers students received last year, she said it was in the 60K to 65K for entry level in Chicago. Hope that helps
  9. mictown

mictown

I just asked my coworker this who graduated from OT school last year and has been working as a full-time OT in a SNF since July. She was initially offered $38/hr w/benefits, but negotiated it to $43.50/hr (roughly over $80,000) because she works in the middle of nowhere, California. So in a big city like LA, it'd probably be less, but in a crappy town where no one wants to go like Bakersfield or Fresno, etc, you can definitely negotiate more.

Our company just lost their contract with the facility and a new company is taking over, making new negotiations with all the therapists, and everyone got a raise, she got a $3/hr raise. :naughty:

Overall, the pay is very decent, we ALWAYS need OT's to do overtime which is time and a half.
    I wonder how much it is for per-diem and home health?
  10. bebob

bebob Lyosan

Rehab Sci Student [OTD]
  11. thack

thack

If you are looking for the 2012 national average, $76,400 according to this site.

:)
  12. NCSUgopack

NCSUgopack

Rehab Sci Student [OTD]
    These figures come from public figures and from asking OT's that I shadowed with. Therapists that graduated in the last two years start UNC hospital at $60k, private practice peds clinic about $50k, and SNF $90k-$100k.
  13. hotpebbles

hotpebbles

NCSUgopack,

why so high @ SNF??
  14. sb247

sb247 wait...you mean I got in?

Medical Student (Accepted)
    my sister runs a snf therapy clinic....OT's 60-80
  15. hotpebbles

hotpebbles

sb247,

which state?
  16. sb247

fl, orlando
  17. OTtoBe2013

OTtoBe2013

53-63k starting seems about average for snf....
  18. NCSUgopack

NCSUgopack

Rehab Sci Student [OTD]
    sb247: Seeing as how I've not even started OT school yet, I can't really attest as to why a SNF pays so high in this area. But the guy I shadowed with made about $90k/yr salary working M-F 8-5 at a pretty nice SNF (a Peak Resources facility) and made $50/hour PRN working at another SNF on the weekends. He is less than two years out of OT school.
  19. sb247

I'm a little out of the loop as to the exact structure of her OT's compensation. I had asked for ballparks when I was considering OT/PT (she has both) but she kept it vague as I was shadowing those exact people and it would have been inappropriate for her to give me their precies salaries. She did say that PT's made 10-20% more than OT's in her experience. And PRN makes a premium over long term employment.
  20. newyorkmember20

newyorkmember20

DPT / OTD
    what is an snf ?
  21. sb247

Skilled nursing facility.....the nicer sounding name for nursing homes
  22. BHSUStudent

BHSUStudent

Since OT is still high in demand it is smart to negotiate. Anyways, all employers will offer you salary at a lower level. You can just passively accept, or negotiate a higher salary. Again, supply/demand gives you negotiation leverage, so you can work in an underserved area and get a higher salary.
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2013
  23. SuperdupeDoctor

SuperdupeDoctor

Fellow [Any Field]
    In southeast asia OTs get about 15k per years but the maintenance cost is so low.

Anybody wanna go there? :laugh:
  24. Learning Hard

Learning Hard

DPT / OTD
    There is a huge variation in salaries even within the same specialty area. My school district starts new grads out at 76k, while the adjacent school district pays new grads 60k. Experienced OTs can make in the 90ks for some school districts, while others cap off in the 70ks. Home Health can range between 80-100k a year (easily). SNF pays well, but I know therapists that made more in the schools and home health. Plus there is an option to do prn work to supplement income. The best recommendation is to do your research and don't assume that all facilities pay the same. Part of the equation is how desperate they are for an OT. If they aren't hurting they may not budge on their offer. If they really need someone, then they may give whatever you ask. I watched a manager offer one OT $25 per hour and another one $50 per hour in the same week. The difference is that one asked for $60 per hour and the other didn't. So you have 2 people working side by side, billing the same rate, but one is making twice as much as the other simply because she set her standard.
  25. ginaw623

ginaw623

Rehab Sci Student [OTD]
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    learning hard- may I ask what part of the country you are in?