Salary of Rural?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Undecided22

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
As I understand it many rural FP docs are of a "jack of all trades" type, i.e. they do many other-mostly surgical procedures.

I'm wondering what someone could expect if they went out to a rural area as an FP straight out of residency? I've seen some postings just by searching around online and it seems close to ~250k/year? Even some places saying $200/hr for an ER shift...

And how do you get surgical training? Can you do it during the normal 3 year residency?

Is that number close to any estimates or what you are earning? Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I did not do any surgery training outside of office procedures like I&D, lump removals, etc, and had not interest in doing such.

I was sticking to one area, and determined not to move beyond 1 hour outside of it. I found jobs in the 150-200$/yr range to start.I have never seen an ER job around this area with 200$/hr to start, urgent cares here give 90-110$ to start.

This came across my email this week. I have already lived in Colorado and hated it due to the high elevation. I suspect this location is high elevation.
Family Medicine

Rocky MountainsHospital Employed

Live in small town America at its best! Wake up nestled in the shadows of the Rocky Mountains’ majestic peaks and rolling foothills that offer refuge to elk, bear, deer, and herds of antelope foraging on the diverse landscape. In this family friendly and active community you will find the perfect balance of amenities and the exceptional working environment you have been craving.

Opportunity Snapshot:

· Employed at one of the Top 100 Critical Access Hospitals in the Nation

· Hospital-owned outpatient clinic

· Quality Patient Care

· $280,000 Annually - Base Salary $256,000 + Bonus

· $25,000 Sign-on Bonus

· One of the 100 Best Small Towns in America

· Growing community, low cost-of-living, very low unemployment

· NO STATE INCOME TAX

· Extraordinary Outdoor Amenities – Photography, hiking, boating, biking, and skiing

As you can imagine, this opportunity has generated significant interest. We will be completing our selection process over the next week. If this is in opportunity your interested, please call me at (469)524-1768.

Reactions: 1 users