Salary question: experiential supervisor

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bacillus1

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Saw an ad for one of these at a pharmacy school. Essentially, someone who works under the director of experiential education, coordinating APPE sites, meeting with students, as well as making sure that preceptors are precepting appropriately. This sounds like a job I think I'd like doing. Problem is that I'm afraid that I'd have to take a large pay cut if I want to do it. So I was just wondering, any idea how much these types of positions pay? I don't mean in absolute dollars as that can vary geographically, but rather in relation to other fields of pharmacy.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
It depends...is it posted as a Asst/Assoc Dean-level position, or a Director-level position?
Salary will be significantly different; Asst/Assoc Dean will pay similar to community pharmacy; director position much (!) less.

Edit: didn't read your post the whole way. If you are working for the director of experiential, expect a massive pay cut.

It depends...is it posted as a Asst/Assoc Dean-level position, or a Director-level position?
Salary will be significantly different; Asst/Assoc Dean will pay similar to community pharmacy; director position much (!) less.

Edit: didn't read your post the whole way. If you are working for the director of experiential, expect a massive pay cut.

Ah OK, was hoping you'd respond. Sounds like a great opportunity, but I guess no go if it involves a large pay cut over clinical.

Members don't see this ad :)
People in our experience programs office made 96-99k. Some states allow you to look up the salaries of public employees.

People in our experience programs office made 96-99k. Some states allow you to look up the salaries of public employees.
This is for a private program. 96-99k seems a bit lower than I'd like right now. I was hoping someone would say around 110k...but doesn't seem to be the case.

This sounds about right - maybe a slight bit on the high end - for a Director-level position.
Someone working for the Director can expect to make quite less.

Bacillus: Two questions-
1. Does the position you are inquiring about require that the successful applicant be a pharmacist?
2. Are you applying at your alma mater?

This sounds about right - maybe a slight bit on the high end - for a Director-level position.
Someone working for the Director can expect to make quite less.

Bacillus: Two questions-
1. Does the position you are inquiring about require that the successful applicant be a pharmacist?
2. Are you applying at your alma mater?

Yes and yes, although I don't think I'll apply with the 96-99k figure in mind. As far as benefits go, seems like university benefits don't beat federal benefits.

I took a $15k paycut to work my dream job in my dream city. If you love where you are and what you are doing, you will forget about the money. But I completely understand some people have financial commitments, spouse does not work, heavy student loans, etc and the paycut will not work for them.