PhD/PsyD Salary requirment question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
didn't have to go rural...wondering how much more i could've gotten in Arkansas or Alaska.....hmmmm...all myths busted

I have to agree with the others - you may be the outlier. When looking for my first position after my postdoc, I had offers at two separate VAs, and neither would negotiate salary. And yes, I did ask in multiple ways. Neither would budge from the original offer. I think if it's not hard to fill a position, they won't offer more. I'm also the director of our fellowship program and have never seen one of our fellows successfully negotiate a higher salary for a VA position (even though most have reportedly tried). I'm sure some have been able to do this, but it seems to be more rare to be successful.

Members don't see this ad.

I have to agree with the others - you may be the outlier. When looking for my first position after my postdoc, I had offers at two separate VAs, and neither would negotiate salary. And yes, I did ask in multiple ways. Neither would budge from the original offer. I think if it's not hard to fill a position, they won't offer more. I'm also the director of our fellowship program and have never seen one of our fellows successfully negotiate a higher salary for a VA position (even though most have reportedly tried). I'm sure some have been able to do this, but it seems to be more rare to be successful.

Better bet is to go for relo incentive ( I got 5% of my salary there), but that wholly depends on the announcement. If it's written a certain way, it's off the table. Most of these jobs are funded in a very tight window even before they are posted. Direct hires will have leeway, posted positions, usually no leeway at all.

poor souls

Members don't see this ad :)
I recently interviewed and accepted an offer at an AMC in the Midwest. I am coming from fellowship and this was my first time negotiating salary. A mentor told me to say the following when asked, "What are you thinking right now in terms of salary?": "I want to ensure that there is equity in the department and I look forward to learning more about the range of salaries offered to providers at (insert name of institution/dept.)." Even when I outlined the salary range I was looking for (turns out I really low-balled their starting salary), the physician recruiter and administration knew I still expected to learn about the range of salaries regardless of the soft salary range I indicated. It worked well in my case! I hope others find this nugget helpful.

Reactions: 1 users
I recently interviewed and accepted an offer at an AMC in the Midwest. I am coming from fellowship and this was my first time negotiating salary. A mentor told me to say the following when asked, "What are you thinking right now in terms of salary?": "I want to ensure that there is equity in the department and I look forward to learning more about the range of salaries offered to providers at (insert name of institution/dept.)." Even when I outlined the salary range I was looking for (turns out I really low-balled their starting salary), the physician recruiter and administration knew I still expected to learn about the range of salaries regardless of the soft salary range I indicated. It worked well in my case! I hope others find this nugget helpful.

The AAMC publishes salaries for medical school faculty broken down by department type and MD versus PhD. These are imperfect figures (esp. non-psych department PhD salaries, which are averaged with salaries for basic science PhDs) but can still be a useful jumping off point.

Better bet is to go for relo incentive ( I got 5% of my salary there), but that wholly depends on the announcement. If it's written a certain way, it's off the table. Most of these jobs are funded in a very tight window even before they are posted. Direct hires will have leeway, posted positions, usually no leeway at all.

yea the max for the relocation/recruitment incentive was 25% salary..and it seemed to me HR prefers that route ;)

If it's a posted position the incentive has to be authorized within the job posting or it's off the table. They rarely authorize this unless it's a hard to fill spot, or they need the position filled quickly. Some of this isn't even up to HR, it's the pre-auth from higher ups on what they will and will not allow for posted positions.

sorry u got underpaid for a 'rookie' psychologist" who merely asked LMAO..ull catch up in a year tho