Salary: Residency and Practice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Illinois_13

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! I have a question about what kind of salary a psychiatrist will retain during his/her residency? And, the average salary for a practicing psychiatrist. I visited one website, which had the national average around 370k, but i found this to be a little high--though i may be wrong?? Also, I will be entering Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University next year, and majoring in Aerospace Engineering. Would this major be sufficient for entry into Med. School? :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

you can select any undergraduate major and still apply for medical school, provided that you have met the minimum pre-med requirements. keep in mind that engineering is difficult, and that want to get as high a gpa as possible since the competition for medical school admissions is quite stiff.

i dont know what website you found that figure from, but theres no way that the average psychiatrists makes $370,000 per year. if i had to guess, $130,000 is a more accurate number.

good luck with college.

You will want to get the highest GPA possible and that major would be difficult. If it's really want you want to learn though go for it. You may just have to work a little harder to keep that GPA up. Some medical schools may respect such a hard major if you have a good GPA but you may have to meet a certain GPA requirements to be considered regardless. I could be wrong about that though. The only complaint I have heard from engineers is that biology was rough for them on the MCAT. 370k per year for psychiatry is definitely inaccurate. 130k after expenses seems realistic. I think 150k is around the average currently, after expenses.

I will be making $37k/year as an intern in a few weeks. Each year my salary roughly increases by $1k so that as a fourth year resident I will be making around $40k/year. $370K IS way too high for Psychiatrists. I'd say average salary is around $150-180k/year depending on where you are at and the demand/need for Psychiatrists in that particular area.