Salary survey

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lakewood

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm sure many of you are familiar with salary.com. You can type in "optometrist" (or almost any other profession) and your zip code, and it gives a localized salary report.

I would be interested to have practicing optometrists view the report for their zip codes and let us know if the data is accurate based on their personal salaries.

The reason for my survey is the obnoxious vagueness with the "optometry is a waste of time/money" -type threads. In my opinion, there is not enough objective, quantifiable argument in those threads (just complaints of "not enough money", or other generalizations based on personal, subjective expectations). I would be very happy to earn the amount that salary.com designates for an optometrist in my zip code, so I wonder if the data must be skewed. So please, if you are an optometrist, let us know, does the data for your area look right?

If this data is indeed accurate (and therefore we develop and maintain realistic expectations), perhaps the optometry-bashing can quiet down.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not an optometrist but I know what the starting salaries were of the 2 optometrists that I shadow are and they're both higher than what the reported average is for my zipcode.