Salary -University hospitals

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sujalneuro

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am looking for opportunities to work at university teaching hospitals. I was surprised by the low range of salaries.

only o/p, no calls -120 k - 150 K
only i/p, no calls - 160 K - 180 K

Is there something, I am missing ? any books you guys can recommend for salary negotiations.

Members don't see this ad.

While at U of Cincinnati their standard starting salary was about 180-190K. You had to do calls. One weekend a month and about once every few weeks (I forgot how often maybe 3-4?) you did a night call. You didn't have to be on campus, a resident called you. In general the residents were smart and didn't call you unless needed. There always was a senior resident on duty so it wasn't like if it was the beginning of the academic year you'd get a know-nothing PGY-1 that called you every freaking 5 minutes.

If you did outpatient, and you didn't have to do so, if you brought it a lot of money you got to keep a cut of it. So that could realistically boost it about 15K.
Due to being a state school you also got a mega-awesome teacher's pension. 25 years put in you get half your salary plus health benefits the rest of your life plus for your spouse and anyone under your care with you as a guardian.

As a forensic psychiatrist they also offered me private cases that offered on the order of about $300-600/hour and I was free to take them or turn them down as I wished.

Another nice thing about that program was you could do almost anything you wanted. Consult, inpatient, outpatient, ER, specific types of outpatient-e.g. addiction, geriatric, etc. You could also work at the Lindner Center-a private psych facility run by some of the top psychiatrists in the country such as Paul Keck.

They didn't accept everyone. A lot of the graduates end up staying in the area and their residents excellent. So from that vat of talent they only asked their better graduates to join them and those graduates almost always accepted if offered.

Last edited: