Program-Specific Info / Q's Salus University MOT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
The reason why the faculty can't interview on Friday is because they are all still practicing OTs. I'm a current OT student at Salus (& I love it!), so I recommend you interview early as possible!

Would you mind sharing some of the things you like best about the program? How is it living in that general area?

Thanks so much!

Members don't see this ad.

Would you mind sharing some of the things you like best about the program? How is it living in that general area?

Thanks so much!

Disclaimer: I'm generally a very optimistic person, so just keep that into consideration! Haha

For me, there are many things I enjoy about the program such as tuition price, location, and the campus itself. However, my favorite thing about Salus is definitely the faculty. They are really great and I can tell already they're going to teach me so much. Each and every day so far, they've gotten me excited to become an OT and make me more sure that I chose the best profession for myself. I feel like we're a family already and I just got here! I also like that everything is located on one campus (w/ free parking :heckyeah:) and I can just head to the gym or the library directly after class and don't have to hop back in my car.

The living area is decent. If you're looking to live right by campus, it is a pretty pleasant area. I live less than 4 miles away from campus and my neighborhood is nice (and cheap). I was really surprised with how nice it was, and I like that I can go for a run or a walk and not have to worry about crazy traffic or anything else. I also get a discount because I'm a Salus student :horns:. If you're looking for an area with a close by, crazy nightlife, Elkins Park is not the place. lol

I think it all depends on what you are looking for in a grad program. Personally, I wanted a place that wasn't expensive, had qualified faculty, and was located in the Philadelphia area. Salus has more than met my requests, so I recommend it for sure!

I know I wrote a lot, but I hope it helps!

Reactions: 1 user
Disclaimer: I'm generally a very optimistic person, so just keep that into consideration! Haha

For me, there are many things I enjoy about the program such as tuition price, location, and the campus itself. However, my favorite thing about Salus is definitely the faculty. They are really great and I can tell already they're going to teach me so much. Each and every day so far, they've gotten me excited to become an OT and make me more sure that I chose the best profession for myself. I feel like we're a family already and I just got here! I also like that everything is located on one campus (w/ free parking :heckyeah:) and I can just head to the gym or the library directly after class and don't have to hop back in my car.

The living area is decent. If you're looking to live right by campus, it is a pretty pleasant area. I live less than 4 miles away from campus and my neighborhood is nice (and cheap). I was really surprised with how nice it was, and I like that I can go for a run or a walk and not have to worry about crazy traffic or anything else. I also get a discount because I'm a Salus student :horns:. If you're looking for an area with a close by, crazy nightlife, Elkins Park is not the place. lol

I think it all depends on what you are looking for in a grad program. Personally, I wanted a place that wasn't expensive, had qualified faculty, and was located in the Philadelphia area. Salus has more than met my requests, so I recommend it for sure!

If you wanted to enjoy some outdoors (hiking, canoeing) are there areas for that, or is it strictly suburban?

Members don't see this ad :)

Thank you so much! I really appreciate your input!

I live in PA, but am in a rural area, more towards Erie and the NY border. I was worried that the area was going to be super urban. I was also worried that rent would be through the roof haha.

Thanks again and best of luck :)

If you wanted to enjoy some outdoors (hiking, canoeing) are there areas for that, or is it strictly suburban?

To be honest I'm unsure. I know there is a nature park located close by to me called "pennypack park" and I've been running around there, but if you wanted to really hike and whatnot you might have to travel a bit. I'm sure it wouldn't be over an hour.

I interviewed there last year. I agree with what has been mentioned previously, apply ASAP. They accept people based on rolling admissions. From what I can remember the interview process was pretty straightforward, whats OT, Why do you want to be an OT, Etc. they give you a tour and then you briefly meet with an admissions counselor to see what your missing or what you need to improve on.
Did most of the women interviewing wear suit jackets or was it a little more casual?

Hello,

When I interviewed, it was five women. I and two others wore a full suit with a blouse (not tailored shirt) underneath. Two other women wore a button down or nice shirt/skirt pants combination (that I can remember.)

I think it depends partially on like, what you're going for. In my case, I'm a bit older, so it seemed pretty imperative to me to show up in a full suit.

Just had my interview today, I think it went pretty well (crossing my fingers). It was very laid back and they ask you the typical questions, why OT, what is OT and how you came about Salus. I wore a suit with a jacket and a few other girls wore a suit as well. A few had dress pants with nice shirts, ^ as she said up there. They said it should be about a week before a decision will be made, so basically the next week will feel like forever haha.

Has anyone who had their interview already hear back?! Good luck to all. :)

Actually, I asked about the dates, and they said that while it's normally a week, the pope's visit has thrown everybody schedule way, way off, and it would be more like three weeks for everyone.

I just got off the phone with their advising office, and they aren't looking at the applicants from the first two interview dates until next week, so if you haven't heard anything, don't freak out! None of us have!

I'm submitting to OTCAS this weekend. I can only imagine how long it will take to verify. I hope I won't be too late for getting an interview. I didn't get in anywhere last year and I can't go through that again.

I'm submitting to OTCAS this weekend. I can only imagine how long it will take to verify. I hope I won't be too late for getting an interview. I didn't get in anywhere last year and I can't go through that again.

Good luck!!

I just got off the phone with their advising office, and they aren't looking at the applicants from the first two interview dates until next week, so if you haven't heard anything, don't freak out! None of us have!
Did they say if they look at them this week, when we should hear!? Like next week or so?

Members don't see this ad :)
They must have started looking at them yesterday.
I was in the very first interview date, and I got my acceptance via email yesterday. I think they do them an interview date at a time.

They must have started looking at them yesterday.
I was in the very first interview date, and I got my acceptance via email yesterday. I think they do them an interview date at a time.

Congratulations!! You interviewed on the 10th right? I'm hoping to hear back soon, I went on the 17th for mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Cal,

Yes I did. I also (I am incredibly neurotic, in case that wasn't clear, lol) combed through every single Salus acceptance post in this forum and looked up days of the week. All of them were accepted on a Wednesday, as was I--so my guess is that you would hear next week Wednesday.

Hi Cal,

Yes I did. I also (I am incredibly neurotic, in case that wasn't clear, lol) combed through every single Salus acceptance post in this forum and looked up days of the week. All of them were accepted on a Wednesday, as was I--so my guess is that you would hear next week Wednesday.

Haha! Very observant, thanks so much!

i just submitted mine too.... i just got so caught up in writing my personal statement i let the time get away from me. just wanted to post an virtual hug of anxiety and support

Reactions: 1 users
Anyone else hear back yet? I interviewed on 10/1 and I'm starting to freak out that I haven't heard anything!

Did anybody get invited for an interview recently? I got my application receipt on the 16th of october, how long do they usually take to send out an interview invite? Its becoming harder to wait day by day, I verified on October 9 and all Ive gotten from most schools is just acknowledgments of application being completed. I know its only been 10 days, but I'm getting really impatient now.

Did anybody get invited for an interview recently? I got my application receipt on the 16th of october, how long do they usually take to send out an interview invite? Its becoming harder to wait day by day, I verified on October 9 and all Ive gotten from most schools is just acknowledgments of application being completed. I know its only been 10 days, but I'm getting really impatient now.

I was verified August 19th and got my receipt from them August 28th, then got the interview request September 2nd

That is pretty quick, if you don't mind me asking what were your stats?

That is pretty quick, if you don't mind me asking what were your stats?

University: Rowan University graduated 2014
Major: Health and Exercise Science with concentration in health promotion
Overall GPA: 3.46
Pre-Req GPA: Not sure, A's and B's
GRE: Quant: 141 Qual: 146 Writing: 3 (not so great)
Observation hours: 80+ hours in outpatient, hospital, children's outpatient and hand therapy

Applied: West Coast University, Salus Univeristy, University of the Sciences Phila, Alvernia University, Midwestern University AZ and IL campuses, Chatham University

Acceptances: West Coast University (email 9/30)

Rejections: N/A

Interviews: Salus University (9/17) West Coast (9/18) Midwestern AZ campus (scheduled 10/28)

Salus wants me to retake the gre though. And then will give me a decision. So I'm taking it next week hoping to improve my scores

Salus wants me to retake the gre though. And then will give me a decision. So I'm taking it next week hoping to improve my scores

That exact same thing happened to me... I took a month to study for and retake my GREs... there wasn't any point of rushing to take them and still not doing well. Luckily my scores did improve and I was accepted.... so there is hope. Good luck!!

That exact same thing happened to me... I took a month to study for and retake my GREs... there wasn't any point of rushing to take them and still not doing well. Luckily my scores did improve and I was accepted.... so there is hope. Good luck!!

Thanks!! That is good to hear! I took about a month as well after they told me. How long after you took it did they accept you?

Does anyone know the population of salus campus as of 2015? also, cal1992 I graduated from rowan in 2015 in HPFM =)

Thanks!! That is good to hear! I took about a month as well after they told me. How long after you took it did they accept you?

I was accepted two days after they told me that they received my new scores. But it took them about a month to actually receive the scores.

I was accepted two days after they told me that they received my new scores. But it took them about a month to actually receive the scores.

Wow, takes pretty long to get scores. But thanks! Did you end up going to Salus?

Yup I'm a first year at Salus right now... they were my top choice.
cb31 How do you like the program? I am having trouble comparing Salus to other schools, since it is not ranked and is fairly new. The website also does not share much information.

Are there a lot of interprofessional events and opportunities with students in other programs? Is there a variety of specialties/interests practiced between all the professors? Are students in the program social with each other or do most live at home and have social lives elsewhere?

Any info would be very helpful as I'm super lost and desperate for some advice! Thanks in advance!

cb31 How do you like the program? I am having trouble comparing Salus to other schools, since it is not ranked and is fairly new. The website also does not share much information.

Are there a lot of interprofessional events and opportunities with students in other programs? Is there a variety of specialties/interests practiced between all the professors? Are students in the program social with each other or do most live at home and have social lives elsewhere?

Any info would be very helpful as I'm super lost and desperate for some advice! Thanks in advance!

I will send you a pm.

I wasnt verified until 10/21. I got my receipt from them on 10/22. Havent heard anything since. Has anyone who was verified in mid october been contacted?

I'm in the same boat, I haven't heard a thing!

hi everyone,
I'm new ti this forum, and need you help, i'm trying to get to get in Salus for OT program next fall and not sure if it too late, right now i'm doing my pre classes and doing my observations hours, but my main concern is the MAT test I schedule to take it in 12/9.
can someone give any information about MAT and if its too late to get in 2016 program because i see some people already in.
thanks

hi everyone,
I'm new ti this forum, and need you help, i'm trying to get to get in Salus for OT program next fall and not sure if it too late, right now i'm doing my pre classes and doing my observations hours, but my main concern is the MAT test I schedule to take it in 12/9.
can someone give any information about MAT and if its too late to get in 2016 program because i see some people already in.
thanks
hi everyone,
thanks
I dunno, it's probably a little late, but they add people to the waitlist. Easiness really just depends on what you prefer.

Thanks
Do you have any idea about what other universities in the area I should consider

Okay, so I'm deterring a little from the current conversation, but I wanted to write a response for future prospective students. I used this site a lot while I was applying and I'm hoping my info will help someone:
I (like many others) received an email from admission suggesting that I retake my GREs, but I was still invited for an interview. During the interview, you will have a meeting with an admission counselor and mine told me that my GRE score were lower than what they really wanted. This crushed my spirits and I just knew I would get rejected. A week later I received a letter in the mail saying that the admission committee haven't made a decision regarding my acceptance and suggested that I retake the GRE. I emailed them and asked what exactly that meant and I was told that they could give me a decision based on my application, or I could retake the GRE and the committee will re-evaluate my application. To me this meant that right now based on my GRE I would be rejected, but overall I had a good application so they want me to retake me GRE. I decided to retake the GRE because I felt like I had nothing to lose... Anyway, I retook my GRE and got waaay better scores, two days later I received an acceptance letter. My first GRE scores were 151 (verbal ) and 141 (quantitative), the new scores went up to 154 (verbal) and 150 (quantitative). This was my experience your experience can be totally different.

I really like Salus, it's has been my first choice since I visited. But now I nervous because I live out of state and I'm concerned about finding housing (I really don't want to pay $800+ for rent). Have anyone else that has been accepted from out of state? I also got accepted in another school too and I'm wondering if I should go there since they have graduate school housing. Aaaah, so many decision and only like a week or two to decide. Anyone from the area have advice, or just does ANYONE have advice. haha.

Good luck to current and future students pursuing Salus.

I have an interview for Salus and I'm in the same situation. I was told that my GRE scores are too low, especially in the verbal. My scores are Verbal (143) and Quantitive (153). I am scheduled to retake them on Dec 17th, 2015, but my interview is on December 10th! Any advice for the interview?

It hasn't been that long since verification. Maybe wait another week?

I hope this does not come off as snobby as I really dont intend it to be, i promise. But im surprised and getting really worried that i havent heard back from salus about an interview. My app was verified 10/21. My gpa is 3.87 and my prereq gpa is 3.78. GRE was 155 verbal, 154 quant, and 4 writing. Shadowed 150 hours, super involved, had ot internship, really good references, and my personal statement was great. Should i be worried? Is it possible my GRE is holding me back? I know it isnt the best but i think i have strong stats besides that. I just really thought i would be asked for an interview since others who were verified near me and have similar stats have heard back already. Is it bad to call them and ask? Make sure they have my app even though i got an email receipt from them?

They hold interviews weekly and only offer 8 spots per week. I was verified 10/12 and just got my invite last week. I believe that they're inviting people for interviews based on when they were verified, so you should be invited in the next week or two I would guess. You don't need to worry, they probably just haven't gotten to your app yet!

hi everyone,
thanks

It is definitely NOT too late for you to apply to Salus. I didn't have my application completed/verified last year until mid to late October... I interviewed in December, then had to retake my GRE (per their request) and actually didn't get accepted until February. So it doesn't hurt to apply. There are people in my program that said they didn't interview until March and they were accepted right away so don't assume that you are just interviewing to be on the waitlist if you interview next year. You never know!

Also, personally I prefer the GRE over the MAT because you can actually study for the GRE where as with the MAT you just need to know random info. Although if you are good at trivia the MAT may be up your alley. Everyone is different. Do what's best for you.

@ktoppers AND @SFcareerchangepreOT sorry for the delay, but I saw that you two said you wanted me to send you a PM, what questions do you two have about the program??

Also, ktoppers, the interview is actually really laid back. But obviously know what OT means, know why you chose OT, know an example that really made you certain that OT was right for you... your typical interview questions. With me I "ignored" their first suggestion to retake my GREs because they still invited me to the interview... but even after my interview they didn't give me a yes or no they asked me to retake the test. So I did since i really had nothing to lose. But kuddos to you for already preparing to retake yours.

Oh and there is 42 students in my cohort.

Hello! Just wanted to tell you guys that I had my interview 11/5 and received my acceptance email this morning :D

Hello! Just wanted to tell you guys that I had my interview 11/5 and received my acceptance email this morning :D

Congrats!!!! What was your timeline? From verification to interview? Just curious. I applied to Salus but only submitted a week or so ago.