Program-Specific Info / Q's Salus University MOT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hello! Just wanted to tell you guys that I had my interview 11/5 and received my acceptance email this morning :D

Congrats on the acceptance! If you don't mind sharing, what were your stats?

Members don't see this ad.

Does OTCAS calculate my pre-req GPA or do I do it on my own? haha sorry i've never actually posted my stats before

Every school has different pre-req's so unfortunately you have to calculate it on your own. How was the interview? I heard it was tricky, is that true?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys!
I just got an email asking for an interview for 12/10. Does anyone has tips for the interview? I'm pretty nervous and excited.

Every school has different pre-req's so unfortunately you have to calculate it on your own. How was the interview? I heard it was tricky, is that true?

Major: Kinesiology
Minor: Gerontology
Undergrad GPA: 3.66
Pre-req GPA: 3.46-3.75 (I got a C my first time in A&P2, retook the course and got an A the second time. Not sure if they factor in the first grade, hence the range)
GRE: 157 V, 152 Q, 4.5 writing

Observation Hours: 40 acute inpatient, 50 hand therapy, 30 outpatient peds, 120 SNF

Volunteer: Hospice friendly visitor, volunteer in the activities department at an assisted living

Work experience: retail and reception since I was 16, OT aide at the SNF that I did my 120 hours since August

Other extracurriculars: member of Alpha Phi Omega, CPR/AED & first aid certified

I thought my interview went really well. The faculty member I interviewed with was super friendly and we got along really great and she straight up told me that I had a great interview. The questions were pretty straightforward (why OT, what is OT to you, etc.). The admissions interview was really like a job interview (strengths & weaknesses, why Salus, etc.), so that went alright. Honestly, I did my best to be myself and let my answers come from the heart.

Major: Kinesiology
Minor: Gerontology
Undergrad GPA: 3.66
Pre-req GPA: 3.46-3.75 (I got a C my first time in A&P2, retook the course and got an A the second time. Not sure if they factor in the first grade, hence the range)
GRE: 157 V, 152 Q, 4.5 writing

Observation Hours: 40 acute inpatient, 50 hand therapy, 30 outpatient peds, 120 SNF

Volunteer: Hospice friendly visitor, volunteer in the activities department at an assisted living

Work experience: retail and reception since I was 16, OT aide at the SNF that I did my 120 hours since August

Other extracurriculars: member of Alpha Phi Omega, CPR/AED & first aid certified

I thought my interview went really well. The faculty member I interviewed with was super friendly and we got along really great and she straight up told me that I had a great interview. The questions were pretty straightforward (why OT, what is OT to you, etc.). The admissions interview was really like a job interview (strengths & weaknesses, why Salus, etc.), so that went alright. Honestly, I did my best to be myself and let my answers come from the heart.

Awesome stats! Do you plan on attending Salus or are you waiting to hear back from other schools still? What did you think of the program?

Awesome stats! Do you plan on attending Salus or are you waiting to hear back from other schools still? What did you think of the program?

Waiting to hear back from other schools for now, but I'm probably gonna end up paying the Salus deposit just in case. I really really liked the program. My interviewing faculty member and I really connected, so she's definitely a factor in my ultimate decision. I also interviewed at Rush and Chatham, and I thought the Salus tour and overall environment felt a lot more... intimate? The students who gave us our tour were a lot more enthusiastic and passionate about the school, the program, and their cohort. The Rush and Chatham students spoke about how passionate and caring their faculty was, but I really felt that more at Salus. Not saying I didn't like those other two schools, because I definitely did. They all had different things to offer, but I don't want to think too deeply about either of them until I hear back, in order to save myself from getting too attached haha.

Reactions: 1 user
Waiting to hear back from other schools for now, but I'm probably gonna end up paying the Salus deposit just in case. I really really liked the program. My interviewing faculty member and I really connected, so she's definitely a factor in my ultimate decision. I also interviewed at Rush and Chatham, and I thought the Salus tour and overall environment felt a lot more... intimate? The students who gave us our tour were a lot more enthusiastic and passionate about the school, the program, and their cohort. The Rush and Chatham students spoke about how passionate and caring their faculty was, but I really felt that more at Salus. Not saying I didn't like those other two schools, because I definitely did. They all had different things to offer, but I don't want to think too deeply about either of them until I hear back, in order to save myself from getting too attached haha.

I interviewed at Chatham and had that same feeling. I had just come from an interview at Touro Nevada which was an all day thing and i felt like they really cared about me. At Chatham I felt like I was rushed through, I wasn't given any information about the program itself, and it was hard to really know how nice and helpful the professors were!

I interviewed at Chatham and had that same feeling. I had just come from an interview at Touro Nevada which was an all day thing and i felt like they really cared about me. At Chatham I felt like I was rushed through, I wasn't given any information about the program itself, and it was hard to really know how nice and helpful the professors were!
Seriously! Chatham's interview day had very little guidance and they didn't even go over the curriculum with us. It seemed so impersonal.

Members don't see this ad :)

Its very interesting that you say that... i literally felt the same way when applying to salus and chatham and ultimately chose salus over chatham because of that reason. The students at Salus (during my interview) just seemed to love being there whereas at chatham they were just there. I know that chatham has a great program, but that vibe is an important factor.

Good luck to you all on your decison making! Hope to see some of you next year!!

Seriously! Chatham's interview day had very little guidance and they didn't even go over the curriculum with us. It seemed so impersonal.

Agreed, I thought it was really weird. People paid sooo much money to be at that interview and they didn't give us any information on the program itself. I liked Pittsburgh and the facilities though! I'm going to have such a hard time choosing if I get into multiple places.

Reactions: 1 users
Its very interesting that you say that... i literally felt the same way when applying to salus and chatham and ultimately chose salus over chatham because of that reason. The students at Salus (during my interview) just seemed to love being there whereas at chatham they were just there. I know that chatham has a great program, but that vibe is an important factor.

Good luck to you all on your decison making! Hope to see some of you next year!!
Although I haven't gotten an interview yet (they told me they received my app yesterday), I emailed a professor in the program, and she got back to me with a thoughtful response. At some other schools I contacted (Le Moyne, Springfield), the office worker was nice enough to forward to the the director, but the director never got back to me. It made me appreciate Salus.

How is research approached at Salus? What kind of things are professors/students working on? Thanks!

Although I haven't gotten an interview yet (they told me they received my app yesterday), I emailed a professor in the program, and she got back to me with a thoughtful response. At some other schools I contacted (Le Moyne, Springfield), the office worker was nice enough to forward to the the director, but the director never got back to me. It made me appreciate Salus.

How is research approached at Salus? What kind of things are professors/students working on? Thanks!
Wow. I keep getting this question... I didnt know research was soo important to OT students. But curriculum wise research isnt major in our program. We do have a research class, and we do a capstone project our last semester, but thats about it. If you are interested in doing "real" research then you can talk to the professors. Our professor do still publish, which is cool, but research is not the focal point like at some school. It exist if you want to do it, but if you dont well you can just graduate. Lol. I don't know too much specifics on what research the professors do bc im not involved... i really just want my degree at this point in my life. ;):happy:

Wow. I keep getting this question... I didnt know research was soo important to OT stufents. But curriculum wise research isnt major in our program. We do have a research class, and we do a capstone project our last semester, but thats about it. If you are interested in doing "real" research then you can talk to the professors. Our professor do still publish, which is cool, but research is not the focal point like at some school. It exist if you want to do it, but if you dont well you can just graduate. Lol. I don't know too much specifics on what research the professors fo bc im not involved... i really just want my degree at this point in my life
That might have been me last time. I thought I had asked someone else. Sorry about that! Thanks!

That might have been me last time. I thought I had asked someone else. Sorry about that! Thanks!
A couple of people have asked questions about research at salus. It doesnt bother me at all to answer, im just surprised at how many people care about research.... that was not something I inquired about while looking at schools. Haha. But no need to apologize... thats why this forumn is here. I will help in any way I can.:)

Wow. I keep getting this question... I didnt know research was soo important to OT students. But curriculum wise research isnt major in our program. We do have a research class, and we do a capstone project our last semester, but thats about it. If you are interested in doing "real" research then you can talk to the professors. Our professor do still publish, which is cool, but research is not the focal point like at some school. It exist if you want to do it, but if you dont well you can just graduate. Lol. I don't know too much specifics on what research the professors do bc im not involved... i really just want my degree at this point in my life. ;):happy:

I'm interested in doing research as well. If anybody has any insight to research at Salus, please let me know!

Last edited:
Has anyone received an interview invite from Salus recently? I was verified at the end of October and haven't heard anything, starting to get nervous!

For whoever has already interviewed, what hotel do you suggest staying in? I'm not seeing much near the campus. Thanks!

So I'm visiting TJU for an interview at the end of the month from new england, so it's a trek to get there. Has anyone tried to visit prior to getting an interview but after applying? I'm wondering if I should try and see if I can.

So I'm visiting TJU for an interview at the end of the month from new england, so it's a trek to get there. Has anyone tried to visit prior to getting an interview but after applying? I'm wondering if I should try and see if I can.

It's atypical for tours to occur outside of interviews... although it doesn't hurt to email the admission...they are normally really great at responding. To be honest, if I was you I would wait for an interview (you would need to come back anyway), but I would wait because you will get a better vibe of the school (you will have a tour given by a current OT student, meet a faculty member during your interview (meet the director of the OT program), and possibly have lunch with a current student depending on their class schedule). But again, it doesn't hurt to email admission and see if any of this possible before an interview.

I was verified 10/21 and havent heard anything from them either. I am very surprised because i have a lot of experience, high gpas, and a good gre.

That is surprising.. have you heard anything yet? If not, did you email admission? Last year when I applied they were very prompt with their communication!

I was verified Nov. 17th or something like that. I just got an interview invite today. Yesterday they asked about a class yesterday, and I emailed them back about it.

If someone hasn't heard anything yet they might be something missing. Just a heads up.

I actually emailed them this afternoon and they just replied. I should be getting an invite to schedule an interview soon, but idk why it took so long. I was also informed that their class is close to being full.
I'm technically registered for early February, but I'm not going to drive 5 hours there and back (and miss 2 days of school/work) if it's just for the wait list. :/ That was so fast, they should probably just put an earlier deadline for people so they're not surprised. Are you getting any response from other programs?

I was verified Nov. 17th or something like that. I just got an interview invite today. Yesterday they asked about a class yesterday, and I emailed them back about it.

If someone hasn't heard anything yet they might be something missing. Just a heads up.

I was invited to interview at Salus today too! What session did you register for?

It's funny that you emailed back about a class and then got the invite to interview.

I receive an email yesterday about retaking my GRE's, so I emailed back this morning saying that I plan to retake them at the end of December, and 20 minutes later I received an invite to interview. I thought maybe they only sent the invite because I wrote back something about retaking my GREs!

I was invited to interview at Salus today too! What session did you register for?

It's funny that you emailed back about a class and then got the invite to interview.

I receive an email yesterday about retaking my GRE's, so I emailed back this morning saying that I plan to retake them at the end of December, and 20 minutes later I received an invite to interview. I thought maybe they only sent the invite because I wrote back something about retaking my GREs!
I'm registered temporarily for the early February one because that's the first open, but I doubt I'll go because of the drive/because I'll miss classes/work. If there's spots open at that point, maybe I will. If not and I'm not getting in anywhere, I guess I'll reschedule for spring break (early March).

Do they automatically send the GRE thing to anyone below 150? I took the MAT and scored in the 98th percentile, which was exciting because if I took the gre I probably would have scored in like the 10th percentile for quantitative. ;) If you haven't scored well on the GRE and haven't officially registered, it's 75 bucks and one hour.

I have no clue if they automatically recommend people to retake the GRE if it's below a certain score. However, I read on their website that they look for those who score within the 50th percentile. My scores were in the 30th and 40th percentile, so I definitely scored lower (although all of my friends who got into OT school last year did worse than me!!).

I'm registered to interview on January 20th, I'm hoping the class still has some open seats by then! (that was the first available date)

While I was still completing my undergrad, I asked my admissions counselor about the MAT. She suggested that I take the GRE instead and I honestly forgot her reasoning. The 1 hour and $75 definitely sounds a million times better than 4 hours $195. I actually received that email yesterday about the recommendation to retake my GRE and I freaked out and registered for literally the last available date in 2015. Hoping I score a little bit higher this time, but like I said I emailed admissions stating I am registered to retake the test and 20 minutes later I was invited to interview. I wasn't sure if it was coincidental or not....

Congrats! I got an interview today too. I am declining, good luck everyone!

I'm technically registered for early February, but I'm not going to drive 5 hours there and back (and miss 2 days of school/work) if it's just for the wait list. :/ That was so fast, they should probably just put an earlier deadline for people so they're not surprised. Are you getting any response from other programs?

They have about 10-15 spots left in the class, but that won't stick once all of the schools send out acceptances. There's always huge turnover on the list. The guy in admissions told me that last year they accepted around 80 people to fill their class. So if you're interested in the program it's definitely worth the trip to interview!

Yes, @Sk8OT52 is correct. Definitely don't shy away from the interview because your interview is late and/or you think that you are just interviewing for the waitlist. I cannot even begin to tell you how many people in my class said that they didn't interview until Febury/March. If you are really interested in Salus, go for it!!

Also, @kristennna4416 it may have been a coincidence that you received the interview invite right after you emailed. I know that last year I got a notice to retake my GRE then like a day later I got an invite for an interview. My GRE scores were the similar to yours and after my interview they still suggested that I retake them so good that you are taking it before your interview. Good luck on your retake and your interview.

Yes, @Sk8OT52 is correct. Definitely don't shy away from the interview because your interview is late and/or you think that you are just interviewing for the waitlist. I cannot even begin to tell you how many people in my class said that they didn't interview until Febury/March. If you are really interested in Salus, go for it!!

Also, @kristennna4416 it may have been a coincidence that you received the interview invite right after you emailed. I know that last year I got a notice to retake my GRE then like a day later I got an invite for an interview. My GRE scores were the similar to yours and after my interview they still suggested that I retake them so good that you are taking it before your interview. Good luck on your retake and your interview.

Thank you! That's good to know. Do you have any tips or techniques that you used while studying to improve your scores? I've been going over the website and some study guides, but this is my third time taking it so I want to make sure it's worth it!

Thank you! That's good to know. Do you have any tips or techniques that you used while studying to improve your scores? I've been going over the website and some study guides, but this is my third time taking it so I want to make sure it's worth it!

I totally took it THREE time too!!!! lol. I used the Kaplan study guide book, a book specifically on GRE geometry questions (I realized that in the math section I never knew those type of questions so I decided to focus specifically on those), and I also used GRE vocab note cards (I don't remember the brand I used tho). I also, studied how to write a good essay, but that was a section in the Kaplan book. The main thing that I did the third time around is I figured out what was my weakness and tried to focus on that... my scores weren't AMAZING after the third time, but they increased from like 20/30% (math) and 40% (vocab) to 40% (math) and 60% (vocab). Hope that helps.

I totally took it THREE time too!!!! lol. I used the Kaplan study guide book, a book specifically on GRE geometry questions (I realized that in the math section I never knew those type of questions so I decided to focus specifically on those), and I also used GRE vocab note cards (I don't remember the brand I used tho). I also, studied how to write a good essay, but that was a section in the Kaplan book. The main thing that I did the third time around is I figured out what was my weakness and tried to focus on that... my scores weren't AMAZING after the third time, but they increased from like 20/30% (math) and 40% (vocab) to 40% (math) and 60% (vocab). Hope that helps.

Hopefully third times a charm!! Very useful advice, thank you :)

My GRE scores are 149V 150Q, 3.0 writing. Do you think they will ask me to retake the GRE?

btw my interview is on feb 3rd.

-Dave J.

My GRE scores are 149V 150Q, 3.0 writing. Do you think they will ask me to retake the GRE?

btw my interview is on feb 3rd.

-Dave J.
They probably would have asked by now if they did?

Just got accepted by email this morning :) Officially going to Salus! Anyone looking for a roommate ?

Just got accepted by email this morning :) Officially going to Salus! Anyone looking for a roommate ?

Congrats, that's awesome!! I was put on standby, I think they're running out of spots

Congrats, that's awesome!! I was put on standby, I think they're running out of spots
Bummer, you sounded like a good applicant. My interview is next week now. At least you've been accepted to other places, right?

Bummer, you sounded like a good applicant. My interview is next week now. At least you've been accepted to other places, right?

Yep, I have other acceptances! I'm not really bothered by it. I think I have a fairly good chance of getting in later when spots open up. Good luck at your interview!

Congrats!!!:thumbup::clap: My first sememster at Salus is done. Let me know if you have any questions about Salus as you prepare!:nod:

So I interviewed at Salus recently, and I just wanted to say the program was lovely. Even the kitchen staff were friendly, and had a good relationship with the staff that were there. I think it might have to do with the size of the school and the fact that it's a health grad school only!

I think for anyone who just wants a nice, reasonably priced program, Salus is a great place to go. I think I'd probably like it there better than some of the schools near me, but moving that far away is kind of scary. We'll see what they say, but I'll probably get waitlisted, anyway. ;)

Edit: Mobile typos

Last edited:
There are several mentions throughout the forums that the Salus deposit is refundable through April 1st.
Trust me when I tell you that this is no longer the case.
All deposits to this university are now non-refundable.

Congrats!!!:thumbup::clap: My first sememster at Salus is done. Let me know if you have any questions about Salus as you prepare!:nod:
Hey, I just heard back from Salus today and got accepted. I'm currently weighing my options, and I was wondering how they set up fieldwork 1/breaks? Is it part time, or is it a week long full time like some other programs do it? Thanks!

Hey, I just heard back from Salus today and got accepted. I'm currently weighing my options, and I was wondering how they set up fieldwork 1/breaks? Is it part time, or is it a week long full time like some other programs do it? Thanks!

I just got accepted to salus as well!!! are you definitely going to attend or weighing your options? i'm not sure what to do but I'm glad they are mailing the rest of the materials rather than asking for a deposit immediately.

Its a week long placement (40hrs), although its a tinnnnny chance that you could have an alternative schedule (like going for five sundays or something like that, but thats rare and unlikely).

What programs are considering, if you dont mind me asking?

Last edited: