Samford University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rxforlife2004

Membership Revoked
Removed
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Anyone here knows about Samford University? I mean when I applied for pharmacy school, I just slightly took a look at their website and decided to apply for it as a second backup. Now they call me for an interview! Heck!

Members don't see this ad.

One thing I like about that school, is the fact that you have the opportunity to do your rotation in Japan!! how cool is that ?

I almost applied there. My husband was working for Bell South in Birmingham. I didn't really want to move to Alabama, so he moved back to Florida and I applied to UF.

The campus is really pretty. They are a Baptist school, but I don't know if they require any religion courses.

Members don't see this ad :)
It seems to be a good back up school. My aunt, who used to work at UAB, told me that alot people who couldn't get in the Cali schools go to Samford

So anyone here going to Samford or know someone going to this school? I need as many feedbacks as possible...Thanks a lot.

The best thing to do is to go there for an interview. You'll see the school first hand and get to talk to other students.

I interviewed at Campbell in NC, which also has religious affiliation and is even deeper in the bible belt. The only religion class they required was a prerequisite, which I had covered because I went to a private, catholic school for undergrad.

They did not ask any questions about faith, only about pharmacy.

Birmingham is a cool city. UAB is also there and it has a good medical school. There's lots of hills, little snow and it's a short drive to Atlanta.

I agree, the intervew would be a good thing to do. Now let me tell you though, if you like Las Vegas and Hawaii, I highly doubt you will like Alabama. The town that Sanford is in is extreamly conservative and religious. (not that that is a bad thing or anything) Alabama is still about 20 years behind the times and California is about 20 years ahead of everyone else (except for maybe Mass.) If you have different views on life than what the baptist creed says, you maybe in for some trouble. (Unless your quiet of course) You would have worse culture shock than I did when I moved from Miami Florida to Savannah Georgia. Do whats best for you buddie. Im sure you will make the right choice. Just my $0.02 though

Man,

You hurt!

If Birmingham is 20 years behind the times, then St. Louis and Pittsburgh are too, and Augusta, GA is worse!

I'm sorry, but I'm probably one of the few people who have lived the South AND in California (Bay Area), and I can tell you that being 20 years behind the times, is, sheesh, just wrong.

Yours,

u should just go to the interview. when i apply for schools, i am going to apply to maybe 2-3 in state schools (in CA) and the rest out of state. I will take out as much money as i can to get interviewed at ANY school that invites me. whats the worse that can happen? you getting accepted? :) good luck man

Samford is a very good pharmacy school. I went to Auburn and can put a plug in for Auburn also--- I must say, though, that Samford is probably a better school overall.

I worked with several Samford faculty at the hospital in Birmingham where I worked. The faculty seem to be very well-trained and "student-friendly".... i.e. they teach well. I even precepted several Samford students each year and the students were very sharp, on the whole.

Birmingham is a nice town and actually fairly progressive. Samford has pretty close clinical affiliation with the UAB Hospital System which is definitely a plus which can lend to seeing amazing stuff on rotations and opportunities for research galore.

PM me if you'd like on any more questions about the school or about Birmingham--- I was born there and lived most of my life there.

Carpe

Maybe I am the disgrunteled one? I guess I lumped Savannah with the rest of the south, im sorry! I shouldn't have done that. Best way to find out if you like it or not is to go and check it out yourself. Go for the interview!

I was considering applying to that school. But after I saw the documentary about skinheads" white power" , I decided not .

Hi all,

Thanks for all of your inputs. I actually did a little research on my own about the school for the past couple days. I was quite impressed with this school, though. It is really pretty campus and the staff was really nice. I re-scheduled my appointment until March to hold on for NVCP and UOP interview results. In the meantime, i am trying to get to know more about Samford University.

The tution isn't that bad at all. The ciriculum is also really cool and well-grounded. Not a bad shot for going there at all.

Carpe...can you tell us more about Birmingham's life? Social events? Life at campus? I appreciate it..really

:clap:

RXforlife,

Samford is a conservative , Southern Baptist (at least quasi-affiliated) university, but is not a stodgy place at all. I think you will be impressed by the folks there. From what I know the campus life is very active; they have been building many more residencies on campus (or very close to the main campus)---nice residencies for married students and single students--- over the last few years. Also, there are several nice apartment complexes within 10 minute drive of campus.

As far as Birmingham goes, there is nightlife, especially in the Five Points area of Southside (close to UAB), within 10 minutes of Samford. Probably about average compared with comparable cities. There are many fine restaurants (especially ethnic cuisine ) in the area which are very reasonably priced on the whole. Very nice shopping in the area also. There are nice parks and very good museums if you're into that. The area is beautiful, so if you interview in Spring it would be hard to say no. No real major league sports, but minor league baseball (of Micheal Jordan fame), arena football, etc. Many, many nice golf courses---- even nice public courses which are reasonably priced.

As with any area, there are the not as nice sections and sections with more of a crime problem.

Birmingham is a great location overall. About 5 hours to the beach or the "real" mountains..... about 2 hrs to Atlanta, 3 hours to Nashville, 5-6 hours to New Orleans if you need a sidetrip.

If you end up at Samford, if it is like it used to be, about 1/2 or more of your classmates will be from either Tenn, Kentucky or Florida. I think Tenn and Kentucky each only have one pharmacy school so many of the "extras" from there head to Samford.

Anyway, hope this helps.

carpe

carpe,

Thanks for your useful information. It is not that bad to make a trip there, afterall :)