SAMMC Residency housing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Armymed2015

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I will be starting residency at SAMMC next Summer. My wife and I are hoping to find housing close enough to the hospital that commute isn't too bad. Does anybody have recommendations for neighborhoods in the area for us to check out?

Members don't see this ad.

I would recommend Alamo Heights. It's close to SAMMC and close to downtown. It was a 10-15 minute drive from the airport. It has a really good school district. Houses there are on the older side and a bit more expensive. However the neighborhoods are more mature with tree lined streets forming a nice canopy. There is a Wholefoods in the area and a ton of restaurants. I stayed there during residency and loved every minute of it.

Some people stayed farther out in the loop (Stone-Oak, Medical Center etc). These are the people who believe in "bang for their buck." Houses further out in the loop are new construction, bigger, and cheaper. However one has to contend with more traffic and living in soulless subdivisions with cookie cutter houses.

Alamo Heights is very nice, and the school district can't be beat if you have kids (although both the NEISD and NISD are very good as well). It's relatively expensive, so you'll blow through your BAH pretty quickly. I would consider Alamo Heights only if you either 1) have a second income or 2) don't have kids and don't plan on having them while in SA. The only downside of the commute is that most of the quickest routes to SAMMC from Alamo Heights involve cutting across FSH, meaning you'll have to deal with gate traffic four times for each daily commute.

To clarify, Alamo Heights is both a town and a school district, the latter of which comprises the town of Alamo Heights as well as part of Terrell Hills, Olmos Park (the tri-cities), and San Antonio. Most people mean the school district, because there isn't an appreciable difference between Terrell Hills in the AHISD and the town of Alamo Heights, and because cost tracks most closely with the school district.

The Army people I know mostly live across the north half of the city, mostly north central (Stone Oak) out 281 with a smattering in the northwest (out I-10) or northeast (out I-35) areas. Under no circumstances would I consider living out I-35, as that highway is a parking lot for huge stretches of the day even without accidents, of which there are many. The medical center area is mostly apartment living; plus, it's super shady around there. Do not want.

AF people are more likely to live on the west side (out Hwy 90) closer to Lackland, which makes some sense. But if you're Army and/or you'll be spending most of your time at SAMMC, then I'm not sure I see the appeal of living that far away.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sunset ridge apartments is nice in Alamo heights of you can get a top floor apartment. 15 minutes door to door unless ur going to lackland and then ur gosed

Should we even consider on post housing?

That decision has almost certainly been made for you. That is, it won't be available for many weeks, probably months, until after you sign in. If you're looking to keep costs down, then it's probably worth a phone call to the housing office, but I would be shocked if there's anything available in a reasonable time frame. Besides, I think there's a lot to be said for off-post housing. Having grown up in Army quarters and now on active duty, I really appreciate being able to "get away" from it all once at home.

We lived at the Villas at Oakwell Farms. Very good commute in the am and not too bad coming back from work. Can avoid most traffic and there is always the choice to go through the base to get home. Very laid back complex with pool, hot tub, tennis courts, racquetball courts and basketball court. Nice sized apartments with included parking and gated community. There is the ability to rent washer and dryer if you don't have your own which was pretty cheap.

Would love to end up at SAMMC when I go active...

Question - is it worth the extra cost of Alamo Heights if you have school aged kids for the good schools?

Would love to end up at SAMMC when I go active...

Question - is it worth the extra cost of Alamo Heights if you have school aged kids for the good schools?

Yes. Great neighborhood and surrounding areas. Walkable. Plenty of eating options. Centrally located. Great schools. Though it depends on one's priorities. If you want a big house, big yard for cheap as top priority then no.

At best, you'll really enjoy Alamo Heights, and at worst you won't regret it. That isn't to say that the same might be true about other parts of the city. IMO, schools become more important the older your children are, so if yours are or will be highschool age, then AHISD is of that much greater value. Also, if you know you're going to be reselling eventually, being in AHISD will attract buyers.

Really hope this is a decision I get to make in a few years. I really liked San Antonio and the med center as a med student. Currently deferred.

On a slightly different note, does anyone remember when they reported for internship at SAMMC? I believe I've read a couple different time frame on SDN.

Thanks!

Converse was nice; easy drive down FM-78 straight to SAMMC and traffic is reasonable any time of day (took me ~10 minutes to drive to SAMMC). School systems are horrid but you can get into the schools on Randolph AFB. Housing prices are cheap also compared to other parts of town.

We are considering this area. Does anybody familiar with the area have any insight as to why the housing prices are cheaper here?

We are considering this area. Does anybody familiar with the area have any insight as to why the housing prices are cheaper here?

The same reason why housing prices are cheaper in any market? The schools are not (as) good. It is not particularly centrally located. The scenery leaves a lot to be desired.

It's not very difficult in San Antonio. There's plenty of land. Real estate is cheap. If one is looking for the biggest bang-for-buck in terms of square footage of house and yard without regards to school system then anywhere outside the loop would be fine (Converse, Schertz, Stone Oak, etc). For areas like this I would advise renting a home because selling may be challenging due to the glut of inventory. There are also plenty of "gated" apartment complexes in these areas.

How about the Pearl Brewery Area or King William district? No kids so not as concerned about school districts, but looking for a safe, fun area.

How do those areas compare traffic wise to get to SAMMC and cost with relation to the rest of the city? It seems like most of the places I've found are "luxury apartements."

Any input greatly appreciated.

How about the Pearl Brewery Area or King William district? No kids so not as concerned about school districts, but looking for a safe, fun area.

How do those areas compare traffic wise to get to SAMMC and cost with relation to the rest of the city? It seems like most of the places I've found are "luxury apartements."

Any input greatly appreciated.

Both are great areas with a lot of fun bars/restaurants/activities and many young people living there. Most of what you'll find there are luxury lofts. Overpriced, but affordable with your bah. My friends who commute from there drive 15-20 minutes from home to gate.

On a slightly different note, does anyone remember when they reported for internship at SAMMC? I believe I've read a couple different time frame on SDN.

Thanks!

Depends on your program. Some day during the first week of June, usually.