Sammuel Merritt

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

affa

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Have a lot of you heard from them? I haven't. :-(
They wrote in the email we should hear back by December 14th at 3...

For those of of you who did hear back would you be willing to post the date you applied and your stats?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey! I got at same email... and I still haven't heard anything either..... hopefully we'll hear before tomorrow at the deadline!! Write back if you hear!

Hello! I hope I'm not in the incorrect forum. Are you two referring to SMU's MOT program? I haven't heard from them regarding an interview yet, but did get an email stating that my application was complete and being passed on for review. Were you referring to not hearing about the interview or this other email?

Best of luck to you both! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
For what its worth.. I have been to a total of 4 ot schools for interviews and SMU was my least favorite. I was just not impressed. Last year they held interviews first week of January.

Thank you, otsomeday, for the insight. By chance, can you tell us when you received notification that you were invited for an interview (and I suppose also when you applied)? Looking through past threads, it appears that invites come late in December, but I'm just getting a bit nervous. I applied the last week of October, just prior to the deadline.

Any tips on the interview at SMU?

Thank you so much!

I was notified of an interview on dec 23...interview on jan 8th. The only good thing about the interview was that it was on a saturday and I didnt have to take time off work.

What the faculty will be looking for in your responses during the interview-

Knowledge about Samuel Merritt University and the MOT program
Knowledge about Occupational Therapy and your desire to pursue it as a career
Demonstrated maturity in regards to the field of Occupational Therapy and consideration of the rigors of graduate level study
Ability to reflect on your exposure to the field of OT via volunteer experiences and/or other personal experiences
Professionalism in an interview setting

* just brace yourself and get their early for parking. There was about 60 other people there for interviews. They take you all into a room to start the process.

otsomeday, your reply is extremely helpful. Thank you so very much.

I was notified of an interview on dec 23...interview on jan 8th. The only good thing about the interview was that it was on a saturday and I didnt have to take time off work.

What the faculty will be looking for in your responses during the interview-

Knowledge about Samuel Merritt University and the MOT program
Knowledge about Occupational Therapy and your desire to pursue it as a career
Demonstrated maturity in regards to the field of Occupational Therapy and consideration of the rigors of graduate level study
Ability to reflect on your exposure to the field of OT via volunteer experiences and/or other personal experiences
Professionalism in an interview setting

* just brace yourself and get their early for parking. There was about 60 other people there for interviews. They take you all into a room to start the process.

Wait, you were notified the 23rd? It's not December 23rd yet..

Did anyone else get an email today?? I've yet to
Get one... :(

Hi WSUCoug2010, I think his post was referencing last year's run, just to give us a general timeline of what can be expected this year. I received a letter stating that my application was being forwarded for review and that all was completed; this was received on December 1st.

When did you apply? I wish you the best of luck! If it's helpful, my reply came REALLY late in the day, so there is still time. My fingers are crossed for you.

Hi WSUCoug2010, I think his post was referencing last year's run, just to give us a general timeline of what can be expected this year. I received a letter stating that my application was being forwarded for review and that all was completed; this was received on December 1st.

When did you apply? I wish you the best of luck! If it's helpful, my reply came REALLY late in the day, so there is still time. My fingers are crossed for you.

Oh well that would make sense! I'm thinking it's not the 23 rd yet!! I applied at the end of October... This is my third year applying.. I pray I get in this year.. Don't know if I can apply for the 4th year in a row... Sick of being denied...

That is frustrating. :( Well, I wish you the best -- don't give up! It sounds like you have a lot of determination and that will take you very far in any career! :)

To anyone that was accepted into the program last year or prior, would you mind sharing your cumulative GPA and volunteer experience? Was there any particular thing within your application that you felt set you apart from others applying?

Thank you so much!

That is frustrating. :( Well, I wish you the best -- don't give up! It sounds like you have a lot of determination and that will take you very far in any career! :)

To anyone that was accepted into the program last year or prior, would you mind sharing your cumulative GPA and volunteer experience? Was there any particular thing within your application that you felt set you apart from others applying?

Thank you so much!

I was accepted to SMU a year ago but decided not to attend. My gpa was 3.75, pre-req gpa was 3.9, 1200 GRE (I believe they didnt require it tho), over 200 hours of volunteer work (hospital, school district, private practice with kids, & adult ed). I think the major factor that set me apart was the interview and my answers. Almost everyone has the competitive GPA/GRE/Volunteer hours, its how you sell yourself in the personal statement & interview that matters a lot (thats just my opinion tho). Good luck!

Hi kp24, thank you for the insight. I have a fairly high GPA as well (last 60 is ~3.8 or so), but I am disadvantaged in that I only met the requirement for volunteer hours. I didn't exceed it by much, and my experience wasn't particularly varied (two similar environments, though different types of facilities). I am really hoping that my personal statement was strong. I think it's just a nerve wracking time for us all.

Based on what others have posted, I suppose it's a good sign that I did receive that email as referenced above. Other than that, I am just trying to be patient until I receive an invitation for an interview, or the time passes where I know I didn't get one.

By chance, do you remember the date on which you received your interview invite? I am just trying to get a sense of when such notices go out. The other individual above, who also received an interview last year, said his/her email came on December 23rd.

Thank you for your time! It's much appreciated.

Members don't see this ad :)
I called and asked about interview dates. I was told they will be on the fist and second Saturday in January.

I double checked something else as well. Their average GPA is only 3.2...yet everyone here seems to be way above that!

Hi kp24, thank you for the insight. I have a fairly high GPA as well (last 60 is ~3.8 or so), but I am disadvantaged in that I only met the requirement for volunteer hours. I didn't exceed it by much, and my experience wasn't particularly varied (two similar environments, though different types of facilities). I am really hoping that my personal statement was strong. I think it's just a nerve wracking time for us all.

Based on what others have posted, I suppose it's a good sign that I did receive that email as referenced above. Other than that, I am just trying to be patient until I receive an invitation for an interview, or the time passes where I know I didn't get one.

By chance, do you remember the date on which you received your interview invite? I am just trying to get a sense of when such notices go out. The other individual above, who also received an interview last year, said his/her email came on December 23rd.

Thank you for your time! It's much appreciated.

I called and asked about interview dates. I was told they will be on the fist and second Saturday in January.

I double checked something else as well. Their average GPA is only 3.2...yet everyone here seems to be way above that!

I think most interviews are January 21st

Did anyone attend the interview on the 7th?? If so, what type of questions did they ask?

I am a current student, graduating this year... from what i remembered, they would ask you a question regarding how is OT different than other health care professions. You should be able to answer that. Basically, what makes OTs different from other healthcare professions is that we focus on helping people be functional and ENGAGING them....

I am a current student, graduating this year... from what i remembered, they would ask you a question regarding how is OT different than other health care professions. You should be able to answer that. Basically, what makes OTs different from other healthcare professions is that we focus on helping people be functional and ENGAGING them....

Thank you! :) I will be there on Saturday for the interview! :)

So in all I have been to 4 OT interviews.....and by far Samuel Merritt was the most intimidating. All the others were chill. FYI.

Hopefully we will hear this week like they told us at the interview. Good luck to everyone! I wish you all the best! :)

Hi all,

I received a phone call on Tuesday that I was accepted. An official email was sent this morning. I do remember at the interview they said if you haven't heard by Feb 1st to go ahead and contact them to check on the status of your application. Hope that helps and best of luck!

Hi all,

I received a phone call on Tuesday that I was accepted. An official email was sent this morning. I do remember at the interview they said if you haven't heard by Feb 1st to go ahead and contact them to check on the status of your application. Hope that helps and best of luck!

Congrats to you! That is awesome. What day did you interview? I hope that I get a call soon! :( Unless they accpeted everyone yesterday.... I think I will wait today to see if I get a call and then if not, I will email them tomorrow.

Sounds like a great plan! I interviewed on the 7th...

Sounds like a great plan! I interviewed on the 7th...

Oh very good! I interviewed on the 21st. Maybe they are waiting to call today! Haha! That is being positive! haha! :) Congrats to you though! Is this your first choice?

Thanks! :) Yes, this is absolutely my first choice. Good luck!

I got the call yesterday from Samuel Merritt and the acceptance email today as well. For those of you that haven't heard yet, they want a deposit and a firm yes or no by Feb. 17th from those of us that have been contacted. So for those of you that haven't heard yet, there may be some hope after that.

Also, if any of you applied to Dominican before Dec 15th and went to their recent round of interviews last friday, I heard back from them today as well. If you applied after the 15th don't panic, they said they are doing 2-3 more rounds of interviews up through March I think.

Good luck to everyone, stay positive!

:( Even it means the same thing as a rejection, my ego appreciates being told I am just on a very very long waitlist! God that was a stressful process. And flying thousands of miles for a 10 minute interview! Nuts! It would have been great to get back home, though..

Last edited:
I was also notified yesterday with an email today confirming acceptance. Best of luck to those still waiting for a response.

:( Even it means the same thing as a rejection, it sure feels much better! God that was a stressful process. And flying thousands of miles for a 10 minute interview! Nuts!

Hey affa,
Sorry to hear that you are wait list. However, you are better than me:) I've just received an e-mail from them says " We regret to inform you that you have not been admitted into the program at this time" So what ,i do not care.Thanks God I have a backup plan I am.Although if they have accepted me I'd love to attend, thanks God I have been accepted to another school. So, they denied me NO problem my other school waiting for me. I hope you have back plan to. sheer up :)

Hey affa,
Sorry to hear that you are wait list. However, you are better than me:) I've just received an e-mail from them says " We regret to inform you that you have not been admitted into the program at this time" So what ,i do not care.Thanks God I have a backup plan I am.Although if they have accepted me I'd love to attend, thanks God I have been accepted to another school. So, they denied me NO problem my other school waiting for me. I hope you have back plan to. sheer up :)
I'm curious what program you got accepted too?

Today I got my acceptance from Dominican and my rejection from Samuel Merritt. :thumbup::thumbdown:

Long shot, but I'm hoping to find the person that I befriended but didn't get contact info from. :luck:

Today I got my acceptance from Dominican and my rejection from Samuel Merritt. :thumbup::thumbdown:
Congrats JulieinCali:). One question, if we compair bothe Dominican and Samuel Merritt, which one is better ? just curious :)

Last edited:
I got my acceptance on Monday for Samuel Merritt and today (Feb 1st) for Dominican. I'm also leaning more towards Samuel Merritt because it's only 2 years compared to 3. I'm still waiting for USC (my #1 choice) so hopefully that works out! If it does, those who are waiting can take my spot :)

By the way, JulieInCali, I also had my interview on Jan 27th at 9am at Dominican. I think I might have met you but I'm not sure?? lol.

I received my first denial this year. Since this is my 3rd year applying.... I am becoming very frustrated and discouraged.... :( Congrats to all of you who are accepted!

I could kill myself trying to figure out why I wasn't "good enough" for Samuel Merritt or if the programs vary considerably. But I think the bottom line is this: so long as a program is accredited by AOTA you will be able to sit for the board and work as an OT. OT school is increasingly super competitive, if you want to be an OT the best school is the one that you get into ;) Plus, your education is ultimately what *you* make of it. You are an active participant in it.

Also, I would like say that I've talked to OTs in the Bay Area who express disrespect at OTs who went to the "other" program (i.e. my program was great but if you went to the other one it's because you weren't smart enough blah blah blah) But I would like us to remember that we want to do this job because we believe in humans and their individual potential and the beauty of each person's goals, dreams and achievements. So, let's treat our fellow OTs with the same compassion and understanding.

Hey JulieinCali,

I also am waitlisted #14 at SMU, and accepted in Dominican!

I could kill myself trying to figure out why I wasn't "good enough" for Samuel Merritt or if the programs vary considerably. But I think the bottom line is this: so long as a program is accredited by AOTA you will be able to sit for the board and work as an OT. OT school is increasingly super competitive, if you want to be an OT the best school is the one that you get into ;) Plus, your education is ultimately what *you* make of it. You are an active participant in it.

Also, I would like say that I've talked to OTs in the Bay Area who express disrespect at OTs who went to the "other" program (i.e. my program was great but if you went to the other one it's because you weren't smart enough blah blah blah) But I would like us to remember that we want to do this job because we believe in humans and their individual potential and the beauty of each person's goals, dreams and achievements. So, let's treat our fellow OTs with the same compassion and understanding.
Well put!

I've heard great things about both schools (Dominican and Samuel Merritt). I wouldn't beat yourself up over getting into one and not the other. Both are competitive so you did great getting into either I think. From meeting the students at both they all seemed very happy with their program and the preparation they were getting.

As far as I can tell, these are the pros for each of the two schools.

Samuel Merritt
Shorter program 2.5 years.
Reputation for a lot of hands on learning and people feeling well prepared to start their new jobs.
Met one student who was a recent grad from there and raved about it. Said she had no problems getting a job right away and the salary she has more than pays for her loans.

Dominican
beautiful campus... almost enough to lure me away from the shorter program...
emphasis on research, so you will be more likely to get published.
you won't have to retake anatomy and physio so hopefully that leaves you more time to learn other good stuff (samuel merritt makes you take a full year rather than have it as a prereq).
Students seemed happy there (sorry haven't met any recent grads)

I think tuition is the same overall for both programs though.

Anyone else have any thoughts comparing the two programs?

Blargy9, I think that is a great comparison of the two schools. My impressions are that the philosophy of Dominican's program is very student learning-centered, and Samuel Merritt's seeks to provide strong foundations in practicing as art and science. Ultimately, we will all be working together and will have the opportunity to draw on the strengths from all programs and individuals.

I've heard great things about both schools (Dominican and Samuel Merritt). I wouldn't beat yourself up over getting into one and not the other. Both are competitive so you did great getting into either I think. From meeting the students at both they all seemed very happy with their program and the preparation they were getting.

As far as I can tell, these are the pros for each of the two schools.

Samuel Merritt
Shorter program 2.5 years.
Reputation for a lot of hands on learning and people feeling well prepared to start their new jobs.
Met one student who was a recent grad from there and raved about it. Said she had no problems getting a job right away and the salary she has more than pays for her loans.

Dominican
beautiful campus... almost enough to lure me away from the shorter program...
emphasis on research, so you will be more likely to get published.
you won't have to retake anatomy and physio so hopefully that leaves you more time to learn other good stuff (samuel merritt makes you take a full year rather than have it as a prereq).
Students seemed happy there (sorry haven't met any recent grads)

I think tuition is the same overall for both programs though.

Anyone else have any thoughts comparing the two programs?
Great comparison. Thanks for the info. dude:)

For people on the waitlist...be hopeful. I've heard that so many people apply to so many schools that there is usually movement on the lists. I'm on the waitlist and got accepted to another school that I'll be attending, so that's at least one step up the list already.

very good point. I saw a lot of the same people at both the dominican and samuel merritt interviews. So assuming they interviewed the same 100 people, and both schools are accepting around 36 people (again assuming), that means spots for 72/100 people. And I'm guessing that once people hear back from San Jose state, a lot of people will jump ship from the private schools even if they have put in a deposit already, ya know?

very good point. I saw a lot of the same people at both the dominican and samuel merritt interviews. So assuming they interviewed the same 100 people, and both schools are accepting around 36 people (again assuming), that means spots for 72/100 people. And I'm guessing that once people hear back from San Jose state, a lot of people will jump ship from the private schools even if they have put in a deposit already, ya know?

That's actually exactly what I'm doing. Got a letter from San Jose yesterday, which surprised me because I was expecting an email :)

Congrats!! I wish I could have applied there to keep my costs down, but it was just too long of a commute with 2 little kids at home. Great job getting in though! Way to make room for others ;P

I moved up 6 spots to number 13. I accepted an offer for Philadelphia University but am staying on the waitlist just to make myself crazy, apparently.

Just for folks who will read these boards for information later down the road -- on 4/22 I moved up 3 spots to #10.

That makes originally I was #17, then 2 weeks later I was #13, and now I am #10.

Last edited:
That's actually exactly what I'm doing. Got a letter from San Jose yesterday, which surprised me because I was expecting an email :)

I'm anxiously awaiting SJSU's admission decision. Do you mind me asking when you applied and what your GPA/test results were? Congratulations on getting in!! What a great accomplishment! :)

I'm anxiously awaiting SJSU's admission decision. Do you mind me asking when you applied and what your GPA/test results were? Congratulations on getting in!! What a great accomplishment! :)

Thanks! I applied to GAPE in early December and sent in the dept. application around mid-December. I also sent transcripts and updated GPA info from fall semester as soon as they were available (late December). I have no idea if the department considered these in their decision, but I figured that it couldn't hurt. My last 60 GPA is 3.65 and prereq GPA is around 3.8. GRE scores are verbal:155, quantitative:148, writing: 4.5. Compared to the stats I've seen in these forums I think my stats are pretty average. I think I had a pretty good overall application though, with a strong statement and positive LORs.

Let me know what happens, I'll keep my fingers crossed! :) (I heard that decisions are sent out as late as April).