Samuel Merritt Acceptance!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DPT415

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just got a call from Janessa with the good news! Anyone else hear back from SMU???

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks! From what I heard from one of the current students at SMU, they called back last year within one week after the interview. Hope everything goes well for you, Blu!

Oh wow, CONGRATS! Are you interviewing for any other schools??

Still waiting to hear back from 3 on the East coast, and have an acceptance to Touro in Nv. You?

If I haven't heard back from them for almost two weeks, do you guys think that means I didn't get in? Do they notify people who were not accepted last?

DPT415 -

I have no idea but I hope you hear soon. Good luck to you! Are you only waiting for Samuel Merritt?

I'm guessing they notify those who were accepted first, then after a 3-week period, they access who paid a deposit compared to how many openings they have left. Then, they'll notify people on the waitlist. Just my guess though :confused:

Does anyone know when orientation is or how we might be able to get in contact with possible roomies?

I've decided on going to SMU for my DPT!

Now, all I have to do is figure out where to live... many people have told me parts of Oakland are pretty rough-- can anyone offer any help as to where in Oakland would be an OK place to live? I'm also open to living in another city in the Bay Area- any suggestions there?

Thanks!!

There are plenty of places in the East Bay that are affordable and within commuting distance of SMU. You can take public transit as I have noticed a lot of people in the area do that.

Congrats ClPT13 on your decision!

I am also looking into the housing issue. I am from the East Coast and know I want to have a roommate, but it's kinda hard to figure out all the areas from over here. I have a car in Cali, so I dont mind the commuting idea either. I have been told Berkley is good, but expensive, any other area ideas Pttrack on areas in the East Bay?

For those of you asking about housing:

I'm not going to Samuel Merritt (UCSF/SFSU for me!) but I live in the East Bay and commute to San Francisco for school. Concord, Pleasant Hill, and Walnut Creek are all great places to look into. Try to find a place that is walking distance to a BART station. I live in Concord, and from the Concord station to the Macarthur station (Macarthur is where you will get off if you're going to Samuel Merritt) it takes about 40 minutes. That may seem like a while but I find that my 1 hour commute from Concord to San Francisco flies by in the mornings, especially when I have some leftover studying to get done.

Other places that are closer to Oakland but a little more pricey are Lafayette and Orinda.

Thanks for everyone's input! I've been tending toward Walnut Creek... but was worrying a bit about the commute. I think it's only about 20 mins from McArthur via BART, so not too bad, but I guess that would be a great time to study-- if I can keep from getting distracted ;)

If anyone is interested in finding potential roommates and housing, I found a webpage through SMU's site that is free for listing and searching for the two. Check it out if you are interested.

http://smu.och101.com/

Hi everyone, I'd really like to ask for some input as to good reasons to choose SMU's Physical Therapy program. I am currently having to decide between SMU or Fresno State. SMU was my first choice all along because of the great location, good repuation, and 3 year curriculum. However, I am not sure I'd want to come out with +$100,000 in debt when the state universities tuition is around 6000/year. When I compare the curriculum, both programs offer a lot of clinical experience. The con for Fresno State is that it is a four year program to finish with the DPT. I would get the summer off for the first two years. But the DPT year is joint with UCSF if I can maintain a 3.0 and pass the license exam to qualify for the doctorate program. If anyone has any input, please let me know! I am having difficulty deciding.

CONGRATS to all of you who have been accepted to SMU!!

I grew up in the Bay Area, and am working as an PT Aide right now in southern California. I am very interested in SMU's program, but I'm afraid my GPA/GRE isn't good enough! I can get great LOR's (one from a SMU alum), but i'm still nervous..... Can anyone help me out by letting me know your stats GPA/GRE/hours and such look like for those accepted?

Thanks!;)