General Admissions & OTCAS Samuel Merritt

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I also interviewed 12/5 and received an acceptance email today (Saturday)!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
I received an acceptance letter via email on Saturday as well (interviewed 12/5). Is everyone accepting their admissions?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I received an acceptance letter via email on Saturday as well (interviewed 12/5). Is everyone accepting their admissions?
I still want to keep my options open and wait to hear back from other schools, but I think I would be happy at Samuel Merritt! Will you be accepting?

Yea I def want to hear back from other places, however, I will put my deposit in. I have a lot of friends in the bay area so Id be happy going to school at SMU.

Waiting is the hardest part. Meanwhile, my interview was on 1/9 so I will not complain. I'm grateful that I had the opportunity to show my best during the interview.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
I accepted my offer and will be attending SMU this August. I look forward to meeting everyone who decides to attend!

Reactions: 2 users
Hey @SuzukiZen what time of day did you interview on 12/5? If you were among the morning interviews I must have met you given that there were only 3-4 guys there lol

Hey socal150, I was in the morning crew that day...the white guy in a grey suit sitting between two other guys. Are you the guy on my right or left (lol)?

Just got an email that I'm waitlisted at #10. Anyone know how many people they took of the waitlist last year?

Members don't see this ad :)
Also same :( But #26... blahhh.

Not sure about last year specifically, but at the interview session, they said they had taken up to 30 within recent years, but I think the average is around 15.

I'm still not sure whether I will accept. I am holding out hope for SJSU, which has only sent out a few acceptances so far. It's been my first choice since I started considering OT a few years back and they will be sending acceptances out through Feb and maybe March. I know that if we successfully complete the program, getting a job and paying back loans won't be a problem, but I am so stressed out just thinking about taking on that much debt and all the things that could possibly go wrong. That said, I really liked SMU. Having to do an interview day was beneficial because before that, I really wasn't too excited about the school. Visiting the campus, meeting faculty, and talking with current students (and future students!) won me over. If I don't get into San Jose, I will be happy to go to SMU!

Last edited:
I didn't apply to any other school except SMU only because I live in Travis Air Force Base and it was the closest OT school near me besides Dominican. I didn't like Dominican, but I should have applied anyway now knowing that I'm on SMU's waitlist. Being #17 I'm not too sure if I have a big chance getting in this year. Thinking about applying to OTA school in Sacramento.

Isn't Dominican's deadline February 1st? There's still a little bit of time to apply.

I think one of the current students said someone last year or the yr before got in around #17. Some of the waitlist people ahead of you will get into other schools and drop off this list. It's still early!

I applied to 2 OTA programs last fall- Sac City and Santa Ana. I didn't get into either. Before applying you have to take their Intro to OT class which fills up quickly. Some people have to wait an extra semester before they get into that one, but you might luck out and get it the first time you try. The application process is basically a lotto and everyone who meets the bare minimum requirements has a chance. Don't remember the details for Santa Ana, but I think it was about 150 people for 30-something spots at Sac City. At least if you don't get in the first year you get your name in twice the next year and and extra time each year you apply (like the Hunger Games, but much less violent!)

OTA is a great career too, but if you don't get into SMU, don't be discouraged. This is my second application cycle, so I know it can be frustrating. If you reapply, it will be much easier the second time and you'll probably know of some ways to improve your application. Does suck having to pay all the fees again though. Good luck!

I'll be on campus tomorrow to see an academic advisor. Maybe I'll bump into one of you in the afternoon.

I'll be on campus tomorrow to see an academic advisor. Maybe I'll bump into one of you in the afternoon.

Hi huckleberry pim,

I was wait listed as well. In the email they sent you, did they give you the option to talk to an academic advisor or are you just doing it on your own? Also, did they also tell you in the email to sign up for FAFSA?

Hi huckleberry pim,
I was wait listed as well. In the email they sent you, did they give you the option to talk to an academic advisor or are you just doing it on your own? Also, did they also tell you in the email to sign up for FAFSA?

On the email, there wasn't an option to talk to an academic advisor. I just wanted to see one on my own. They did tell me to sign up for FAFSA. Good luck!

Last edited:
I was accepted to SMU and will most likely be attending (unless I get into a USC)! Super excited to start OT school!

Reactions: 3 users
I'm excited to be attending Samuel Merrit this Fall! Yay OT Life!

Question is anyone a local that can recommend an area to live. Since I'm moving from Los Angeles. Please and thank you.

When they sent the February update I hadn't moved up at all, so I don't know ):

I ended up declining my acceptance, so that will open up a spot for someone on the waitlist!

Hi and CONGRATS to everyone who got accepted! I was wondering if the class had a FB page or any way for us to start communicating about next semester. I'm thinking of starting one.

Hi and CONGRATS to everyone who got accepted! I was wondering if the class had a FB page or any way for us to start communicating about next semester. I'm thinking of starting one.
Facebook: Samuel Merritt MOT Fall 2016 Cohort

I am declining my acceptance. Not sure how long it takes them to process, but that's one more spot!

Hello all. Me and another girl from the program are looking for housing. It would be great to find a place that a few of us could share to cut down on costs! Contact me if interested! Add the Facebook page

Just got the Waitlist Notification and it is static since March 25. This is killing me, but my hope is still strong...

For everyone on the waitlist, I just declined my acceptance. Best of luck!!

Good luck in your interviews! The questions are ones that you should be able to answer without studying for them. They ask the same five questions for every applicant, so as to be fair.

Respectful answer: I am not independently wealthy, but I am very happy to be a current student at SMU. It is expensive, but it is also not six figures for a degree. Let me tell you some things that our money goes towards, which some have complained about not having: Our faculty, all PhDs, are wonderful, and they personally teach the classes instead of leaving it up to someone else. In fact, many of the faculty put their cell phone numbers on the syllabus so we can call if we ever have questions about our assignments. The faculty also actively works to avoid favoritism and politics; they treat us like professionals. The facilities meet our needs, and are available to students not just for class times, but any time they are needed. Our cadaver lab is amazing; other schools I considered didn't even have anatomy because of the cost, but I have learned so much more at SMU than I did in my pre-requisite classes. The school provides free, high-quality tutoring for anyone who asks for it, and has many other resources available to students who need help. I have never felt like my education was lacking, and I absolutely recommend this program to anyone who asks.

MOT4ME, you have asked this same question for at least 3 years in the Samuel Merritt topics. I understand that the only bottom line for you is the $$, and your message is clear on many different threads. I do not understand why you insert these comments into a place where people want updates about interviews and admissions.
Hi!
I was just invited to an interview for the F2017 cohort!! im really excited but super nervous about the interview process. Could you please shed some light on the types of questions asked, as well as the writing sample? I know that this year will be the first year interviewing for the Drot program, however I feel like the interview should be relatively similar to previous years. Any information would help! :) thank you

hi!
I'm asking multiple people about their SM interviewing experience as i'll be interviewing there for the fall 2017 cohort! any information or tips would help out! As it looks like you got into the program, I was hoping that you could pass on some advice for the interviewing process? do you remember if there was a set of specific questions asked, or if it was more of a casual conversation? I believe the interviews are group interviews, and then you break for individual writing samples? was that your experience? again, any tips would be greatly appreciated!
thanks!!

I was invited to interview too! Good luck!
hi!
I'm asking multiple people about their SM interviewing experience as i'll be interviewing there for the fall 2017 cohort! any information or tips would help out! As it looks like you got into the program, I was hoping that you could pass on some advice for the interviewing process? do you remember if there was a set of specific questions asked, or if it was more of a casual conversation? I believe the interviews are group interviews, and then you break for individual writing samples? was that your experience? again, any tips would be greatly appreciated!
thanks!!

I was invited to interview too! Good luck!

I got invited too! I'm excited yet nervous since it's their first time interviewing for the Doctorate program. Interview date is Jan14. How is everyone preparing for this interview?

Hi all,
I submitted my application 9/13 and was invited to interview last week for the 12/3 interview date. Just thought I'd join this thread to follow the comments. Good luck, Everyone!

My interview is on the 14th as well! Maybe I will see you there!
I got invited too! I'm excited yet nervous since it's their first time interviewing for the Doctorate program. Interview date is Jan14. How is everyone preparing for this interview?