Samuel Merritt

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ober3

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi!

Quick question. The website for Samuel Merritt shows Biochem w/ lab as a requirement...is it possible to waive that? Other schools don't seem to require it. Thanks a lot for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks for the info!

Members don't see this ad :)
A little off topic from you questions...but...it's a
Great school, great location, nice weather...nice faculty and students!
def check it out!

A little off topic from you questions...but...it's a
Great school, great location, nice weather...nice faculty and students!
def check it out!

I thought it was a pretty good school overall. The financial problems in the past and moving campuses to Touro University bothered me though. Plus I personally feel the new school opening fall 2009 at Western is going to draw away students who would normally attend CSPM (a good chunk of the 40-48 students are from socal and pick the school mainly based on location). The other thing is with the campus in oakland and clinics in san fran (commuting). I'd take a school in san fran over oakland any day of the week. It used to located in the "western addition" part of SF which would have been more ideal location wise. I do really like the small class size and great weather though :thumbup:

So you think the school is going to close if students will be attracted to the new school? I think that will take some time though...
I am not aware of the problematic history CSPM has had...how would though influence students currently going/planning on going to school there?

So you think the school is going to close if students will be attracted to the new school? I think that will take some time though...
I am not aware of the problematic history CSPM has had...how would though influence students currently going/planning on going to school there?

From what I understand, CCPM (the old name of the school when it was located in san fran) was the place to go for pod school back in the day...along with PCPM (now temple). Cali was the pioneer of biomechanics and huge in this field and I understand it still is very important with their curriculum. Anywho, I understand they had financial troubles in the late 90s/early 00's. They ended up selling the campus in San Fran's western addition and moving up north to vallejo at Touro University (with the osteopathic med school). From hearing on my interview day, CCPM seemed to be getting the shaft with this partnership and said "it did not work." Anywho, they ended up moving to Samuel Merritt College (nursing, AP nursing, PA, physical therapy) in Oakland in the summer of 2002 and have been there ever since. The DPM is highest degree at the college but they may be adding a PHARM D program in the future. The name changed to the California School of Pod Med (CSPM).

I do not know about you but this problem they had was not very long ago at all. It is a concern to me that the school had it sell its campus and then move 2 different times. They are definitely financially stable now but still, the financial problems are something that is bothering me about CSPM. It just seems odd that the/one of the biggest named school in podiatry ended up with such a bad situation. Furthermore, they are accepting a minimum MCAT score of 16 (stated directly on the website) and still offering same-day acceptances. I have not talked to someone who DID NOT not get accepted to CSPM but that may just be me. From what I understand, the first time pass rates are about/barely above the average. I just don't see these things are positives of the school.

Anywho, I am more concerned about the new school opening up in Pomona. Supposedly its first class will have 50 students (bigger than CSPM's first year class). A lot of the students I talked to come from southern california and pick CSPM because its closer to home. I don't know about you but if I'm from socal and want to stay close to home, I would prefer to stay in socal. I feel the new school has awesome leadership - Lawrence Harkless - a huge name in podiatric medicine/diabetic limb salvage. You can more or less guarantee that the pod students will take classes with the osteopathic students, this is a direction some pod schools are going and I feel its a huge positive, especially if we want Vision 2015 to happen. Furthermore, the "College of Osteopathic Medicine of the Pacific" is a great DO school that probably has the highest admissions stats of all the osteopathic programs. I think the podiatry program at Western is going to be a great school in the long run.

I'm not sure what CSPM is going to do once they have to compete with a new school in the same state. I asked specifically about this but of course I could not get much information. Personally, if I had the situation now of choosing between the 2 (I'm from the east coast so unbiased to location), I would pick the new school at Western. Even though it does not have a track record...the affiliation with an awesome osteopathic school, strong vision, relatively similar small class size, and great leadership makes me lean towards Western.

I'm not sure how much the new school will affect CSPM. Overall, I feel that in the long run they are going to lose a chunk of students who would normally go to CSPM. The one safety net financially CSPM has now is it is affiliated with a healthcare college instead of being independent. So I don't think they will close, but I feel the new school is going to draw away students.

Interesting...good to know...
now I'm concerned...
BTW, what school are you going to, just outta curosity...

Do they tell you their decisions right after the interview like other schools??

No, only a few schools do that (like Barry and CSPM). Same day acceptance is kind of ridiculous if you ask me. For DMU, I had an interview on Friday and found out the following tuesday. For Scholl, I had an interview on a monday and was called on wednesday about acceptance and scholarship. However, I know people who had to wait like a month for scholl to tell them their status.

On the Cali website, I see that at Samuel Merritt "
41 new entering students enrolled in the fall of 2007
The average science grade point average was 3.18
The average cumulative grade point average was 3.21
The average MCAT score was 22 "..........I thought that this school selected many more students than this (and the mcat scores were much lower)...does anyone know how many people interview here compared to how many are actually accepted into the program??? thanks

The class size is accurate.

The most they accept is 48. Although, I heard they had deposits for 51 and they revoked some conditional acceptances because of MCAT scores.

I'll have to go with what admin says of about average MCAT b/c I haven't talked to each and every one of the c/o 2012

The minimum MCAT score they accept now is 18

I don't have the figures on interviews vs acceptance

The website says the minimum MCAT score for the class of 2012 is 16 and that is what was said on the acceptance letter. I know it will be a minimum MCAT score of 18 for the class of 2013. Last year the average mcat score was stated to be 25 on the website and now its 22 (decent difference if the facts are straight).

I'm not sure about admissions, but it seems like cspm accepts a lot of students (and they still do that same day end of interview acceptance crap). From talking to other students, the feeling I get is if you interview you are in. One thing that turned me off was a number of students bitched about this particular professor and told me to look at AZPOD instead. Overall, I did enjoy my interview experience there and loved san fran (O town not so much). Seems to be a decent school but I am a bit wary due to its problematic past and the new school opening up in pomona (with a larger class size than cspm)